Start by marking “A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles” as Want to Read:
A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles

A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  298 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Pebble meditation is a groundbreaking and completely unique technique to introduce children to the calming practice of meditation. Developed by Zen master, best selling author, and peace Nobel Prize nominee Thich Nhat Hanh A Handful of Quiet contains complete instructions for pebble meditation designed to involve children in a hands-on and creative way that touches on thei ...more
Published September 13th 2008 by Plum Blossom

Denise
Can't wait to meditate with my students! #mindfulness #meditation #liveyouryoga
The Styling Librarian
A Handful of Quiet – Happiness in Four Pebbles by Thich Nhat Hanh – 1st grade and up through adult – this is a great book for practicing mindfulness activities and meditation with children. I also see the opportunity for adults to benefit. This is an interesting way to focus the mind. Appreciated the simplicity and flexibility of it.
Earl
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With easy to follow text and activities, kids are introduced to a way of meditation. Perfect, too, for adults with short attention spans. Great as a group (family, classroom) activity.
Maggie
in our fast-paced world, simple may seem simplistic. until a person PRACTICES simple and then simple emerges as serious. that's what everything i read or listen to from thich nhat hanh turns on: the simple, simply presented leading to practice that seems impossible yet helpful along the journey. this book is designed for children. try it with them. try it for yourself. simple when rooted in Reality is never as easy as it looks and certainly never turns toward the simple-minded. highly recommende ...more
Rosemary
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, simple approach for working with mindfulness for children and adults. Creates a practice for children to find a centered, balanced place in an off-balance world.
Marlee
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. The only thing I would have preferred is that the meditation cards come out with maybe a pocket to put them back in (just because I think this is something my kids would like and something that would be simple for our own family). The meditations is lovely and one I hope to make a regular practice with my children.
Casey Hamilton
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected a children's book and it's really not... it's more FOR parents to talk to their children about mindfulness. Still good, just not what I was expecting.
How to meditate for children. This is way above what I would want to do in a classroom. I am sure that people who are more comfortable with mediations might enjoy using this method.
One more, please!
Excellent resource for teaching children about mindfulness.
Lora
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A great book for reflective guidance.
Gwen Vander Pas
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!

Great way to get children meditating! I'm excited to use this with my own children and share this with my colleagues at school (other teachers)
Jacqueline Ouldali
Beautifully simple way to explain and start a calming, grounding meditation practice with children, youth or adults of any age.
Charla Wilson
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a wonderful way to introduce adolescents to meditation. I am a therapist and have used this with teenagers successfully. Today's teens are faced with many stressors every single day, and by practicing mindful meditation daily, it can help improve their lives. Research has indicated that meditation can help teenagers have more self confidence and self esteem, improve concentration, and bring about more self awareness. It can also improve their sleep, which in turn can help impr ...more
Twila Loveridge
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Gentle, easy to use and practical.

This is a great option for starting mindfulness. Very young children could understand when this book is read to them. Eight year olds and older could read and practice on their own.
Meredith
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
I think this book makes mediation and mindfulness easily accessible and understandable for children. I might actually use it myself! Unfortunately, I'm not sure how this would go over in my public school.
Mary Fletcher
Simple meditation for children and adults. Book contains a few activities to go along with the meditation, but the content was repeated and stretched a bit to fill a book. Would make a nice gift for a child in elementary school.
Jenny
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Oh wow that was incredible! A useful, accessible introduction to meditation for kids but also adults. Think I'll send one to all my godchildren. And periodically visit it for myself!
Rogene Carter
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, nonfiction
An excellent and enlightening resource.
Marta Galan
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, straightforward and peaceful
This book wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I really liked it! A great introduction into meditation and mindfulness for children.
Ines
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes simple means profund.
Mark Bourdon
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Four Peebles

Great way to introduce meditation with practical exercises for a variety of ages. I can't wait to try the four pebbles with a group next month.
Ash
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how beginner/introduction meditation could be better! It was so easy. I may get a copy for a couple different people!
Mary
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Could be very helpful for children who need to learn to self calm.
Christopher Vigliotti
Good guide for cultivating mindfulness with your children.
Kaila
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kids
This is a great book to introduce kids to meditation.
Nanci Booher
Whether you are a child or an adult, if you are experienced or a novice, this book is a great tool for learning about meditation, mindfulness and being present.
J&M Bell
Apr 04, 2017
Casa Din
Jan 13, 2016
Sarahjane
Mar 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What Does It Mean To Be Present?
  • Peaceful Piggy Meditation
  • Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
  • Little Flower Yoga for Kids: A Yoga and Mindfulness Program to Help Your Child Improve Attention and Emotional Balance
  • Good Night Yoga: A Pose-by-Pose Bedtime Story
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Anh's Anger
  • Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • The ABCs of Yoga for Kids
  • Master of Mindfulness: How to Be Your Own Superhero in Times of Stress
  • Eye to Eye: How Animals See The World
  • Firebird: Ballerina Misty Copeland Shows a Young Girl How to Dance Like the Firebird
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Zen Ties
  • Breathing Space: Twelve Lessons for the Modern Woman
  • Fireflies (Reading Rainbow)
  • Building Emotional Intelligence: Techniques to Cultivate Inner Strength in Children [With CD]
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“When you are calm, when you are still, you see things as they truly are. You don’t distort things. When you are not calm, it’s easy to get confused and angry. All of us make a lot of mistakes and create a lot of suffering when we are not calm.” 0 likes