Start by marking “Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)

Read Book

Interlude with Tattoos

(A Charm of Magpies #1.5)

A short story set just after the end of The Magpie Lord. Stephen Day and Lord Crane return to London. Neither is quite sure where their fledgling relationship is going. It seems unlikely that there can be much of a future for them, under the circumstances, with Stephen going back to work and Crane returning to China. Until they encounter an unexpected moment of magic...
Published December 10th 2013 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Interlude with Tattoos, please sign up.
Ajà Interlude with Tattoos is just a free short story about what happens in after the events of book 1 (The Magpie Lord) and before the starts of book 2 (…moreInterlude with Tattoos is just a free short story about what happens in after the events of book 1 (The Magpie Lord) and before the starts of book 2 (A Case of Possession).(less)

Start your review of Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
Adina
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy-pr
It was a nice little story which came together with The Magpie Lord. It was cute and smutty and had some interesting tattoos changing masters.
Vio
So happy! Biggest, cutest, tease ever and frustratingly hot. Loved it, wanted more and can't get enough of Stephen, Crane and Merrick. ...more
K.J. Charles
Dec 03, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a short bonus feature, set a couple of days after the events of The Magpie Lord, as Stephen and Crane head back to London, and wonder where they go from here...

Written on the request of some Magpie readers - Vio, I'm looking at you ;) - as a small Christmas thank-you to all the people who enjoyed The Magpie Lord and were kind enough to buy it, review, hit me up on Twitter, or just read it with pleasure. Thank you all, and huge thanks to Susan Lee for the gorgeous cover.

(There's another
Ms. Smartarse
Simply put, this brief little story was just adorable, and so so well thought out. I don't know about you, but when I find a brand new OTP that makes me smile all day long, I want to see their "boring" interactions as well. Sure it's all nice and fine to be cool and dashing while stopping the end of the world, but the real challenge starts once the adrenaline subsides. What happens to the relationship when the exciting scenes are done?

Cleaning start

Now, to be fair, there's no mundane dishwashing, or romantic
Julio Genao
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
a delight.

charles has that yummy sardonic goodness in her blood, apparently—there is no interaction between any of the three characters featured here that wasn't absolutely delicious.

characteristic wit, and the threat of dire consequences coming down the pike?

oh, yes.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Aimee ~is busy sleeping~
Crane’s lips were on his neck, curving into a smile against his skin. ‘Safe except from me, of course. Because I am going to have you now, here, just as I choose, in front of the whole world, and you are going to come so sweetly for me.’ He pressed his hips forward. ‘Aren’t you, Mr Day?’

And Stephen stared out at the world, with his lover at his back and nothing to hide behind, and whispered, ‘Yes, my lord.’

I could listen to Crane's toppy top talk all. day. long.

Daym that man does it for me.

This
Susan
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

5,000 words of some of the SEXIEST content around. HOT DAMN, this was FUN!

More Crane...More Stephen...More Merrick!!!!

Ingie
Written December 12, 2013

4.2 Stars - short and fun - slightly cheeky and a dash of paranormal mystery

The first novel, The Magpie Lord (my review) in this series was a great suprise. A mixture of mystery, paranormal phenomena, suspense and hot romance in a historic London / England. So very good.

"Interlude with Tattoos" is just a (very short) small morsel in the too long waiting for the second installment (A Case of Possession). Admittedly, it was way too short but I enjoyed in every case the
Ami
This 5k proved how K.J. Charles can be SUCH A FRICKIN' TEASE!!!

I mean, it started with a promise of FLAMING-HOT-SMEXXY time, doing it against the window -- I was on the edge of my seat, AND THEN IT FADE TO BLACK!!

This was one of the case when I needed the smut, darn it!

Anyway, it was still a good 5k (AND FREE!) read. Beside the almost-but-never-make-it-on-page-sex *grumbles* we at least knew the origin of one of the tattoos (view spoiler)
SheReadsALot

This was like being the cat who got the cream...and getting an extra bowl for being good.

It was divine. It was decadent. It was Stephen and Crane...in London.

Just delicious.

And like always when I get to the end of K.J. Charles books...

DarienMoya
4.5

This was super hot and hilarious. I listened to this as an added bonus on the audio while out doing a bit of shopping and let’s just say the entire grocery store heard me burst out in laughter.

description

K.J Charles is super talented and the narrator did such a fine job on the story. I’m so glad this was included in the audio because I’m not the type to read the timbits of stories offered up in a series. It would have been such a shame to miss this.
Simone
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
***4.5 Stars***

Perfect 'epilogue' to The Magpie Lord!
Eugenia
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the BEST way to get a freaking tattoo EVER!!!!

Hot, salacious, and funny short included in the newest edition of The Magpie Lord.
Kat
The fade to black bit made me bitch and moan for real, but other than that this was a delight of a short free snack in-between The Magpie Lord 1 and 2!

A bit of insight into how both Stephen and Lucien like to take their fling from here, amusing letters, witty banter (Oh Merrick,  lol) and a dash of hotness.

"And I do feel the urge to claim you in front of the world."

Talk about wetting one's apetite! The sequel, please!
Cristina T.
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
As opposed to the first book–which I rated 3 stars–this little story gets 4 stars from me! Why? Because it was lovely!!! As delicious as a bite of chocolate cake, melting on your tongue! I LOVED IT!

I stated quite clearly that I'm not a fan of birds, but guess what... I actually warmed up to the magpies tattoos! I thought they were gorgeous, and loved the letters which resulted (view spoiler)... They contained some hilarious one-liners!

Exhibit A:

(view spoi
Jaela
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Could these two be any hotter?? Nope. The answer is No.
In this short story, just 2 days after the ending of book #1, Crane and Stephan return to London, but they have their doubts and insecurities about where they stand with each other. Stephan fears Crane's return to China and Crane fears that Stephan's profession will get in between them.
Beside this, they were Hot, Hot, Hot! Sooo HOWT!
Can't wait to read more about them.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Far, far too short, not enough to satisfy the appetite while waiting on the sequel, but brilliantly written and fun, of course.
Em
My god, what a wonderful treat this little book was! Crane is so damned sexy and Stephen is just so cute, they're the perfect couple. I still think the whole magpie/tattoo thing is a really great idea. I want my own one!
Cathy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Interlude with Tattoo (A Charm of Magpies #1.5) is a short story set just after the end of The Magpie Lord and is included at the end of that book. Nice little follow-up.

I will very likely continue with this series.
Trix
"I have lost a tattoo."

Priceless! I laughed so hard while reading the last pages of this interlude.

I am loving Crane and Stephen more and more. So many questions. (view spoiler)

When is the next volume coming out?
Richard Derus
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: quiltbag
Real Rating: 3.5* of five

Charming, light, amusing. The story was included with my $1.99 Kindle purchase of The Magpie Lord, making it an outstanding entertainment value.

The story is essentially an episode of the previous book that simply didn't fit before that book's ending. It's got the wit and humor of the book and it's a very pleasant way to spend a few more minutes in the magical universe of the story.

Here's a thing: Until I started reading MM fantastical stories I was a resolute snarktastic
Kaitlin
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was included at the ned of the audiobook for book #1 and I found this was definitely short sweet and yet pretty amusing too. It's the start of the real relationship and we follow Crane and Stephen as they spend a night together and then say their goodbyes...at least until the magic draws them back together. 3*s overall :)
Heller
Loved it.

Some great character development for a short story and Crane's tattoos are fantastic. The conversation between Merrick and Crane had me laughing. This was snarky, sexy fun.
Bev
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Free shortie from KJ. 5 stars and 5 ♥♥♥♥♥. Stephen and Lucien continue their liaison, phew!! 'I will clear my desk in anticipation' of any further free reads, hehe!!
ttg
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, m-m, wow-free
I really enjoyed the historical paranormal romance The Magpie Lord, so this free short story "interlude" that is set right after Magpie is a real treat.

At 4,500+ words, it's a short, but sexy and fun read as Crane and Stephen return to London from their adventures in Magpie, help christen the window seat in a new exciting way, and discover that liaisons between them can leave lasting gifts.

Recommended especially if you enjoyed the first book. If you haven't read the Magpie Lord yet, you may enjo
Ariana
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant little novella linking book 1 and 2 of the series! Loved finding out a bit more about the magpie tattoo moving from Lucien to Stephen. And their banter at the end made me really chuckle. Don't miss this free little gem!
Elizabetta

Sexy and cheeky.

And interesting going back in time to this one when Stephen and Crane are relatively new to each other. Stephen’s insecurities and Crane’s libido. And their propensity for getting it on anywhere but in a bed…

“The thing is, you see, I’ve a very comfortable window seat in the sitting room… it has just occurred to me that you could kneel there, with the whole of London beneath you… up against the window. I could make you come all over the glass, and the people walking below wou
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review: 4.3 Stars

OMG, that scene on the bench in front of the window is even hotter in audio. *fans self* (Included at the end of the audiobook for The Magpie Lord.)

Original Review: 4 Stars

Definitely answered some questions I had at the end of the previous book.
Lilia Ford
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, very sexy. Also, free--making this a clear winner in that all-important bang-for-buck category. I'm dying to know the details on that sixth tattoo and the ill-fated affair with the warlord. Only downside: I'm even more desperate for Book 2 to come out!
Sunny
Delightful :)

More original and intriguing threads, more steamy foreplay to tease and frustrate us while we wait for the next book.

• Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Carousel (Whyborne & Griffin, #3.4)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Harmony (Whyborne & Griffin #5.5)
  • Bound to Him (Bound, #2)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Restless Spirits (Spirits, #1)
KJ is a writer of romance, mostly m/m, historical or fantasy or both. She blogs about writing and editing at http://kjcharleswriter.com.

She lives in London, UK, with her husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Twitter https://twitter.com/kj_charles
Join the lively Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/13876...
Sign up to the (infrequent) newsletter at http://kjcharleswriter.com/n

A Charm of Magpies (3 books)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)