Start by marking “Blood (The Page Turners #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood (The Page Turners #1)

Blood

(The Page Turners #1)

Violent Bullies. Broken Homes. Black Magic. KILLER fiction.

From author Kevin T. Johns comes the novel critics are describing as "a crimson-stained love letter to genre fiction" and the first book in a "must read" series.

Nate Bourdain and his friends are thrilled to discover an ancient book of magic spells hidden in their school library--they now have the means to stand up
Published November 27th 2013 by Cat & Bean Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:

received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

This book reminded me a lot of those coming of age movies from the 80′s and early 90′s, and that’s a good thing. What set those movies apart and made them so enjoyable was how realistic they were in terms of how it feels to be a kid/teenager, and while reading The Page Turners, I got the same feeling.

In this story, bullies are portrayed as monstrously as child
Melanie Marsh
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Page Turners turned out to be a little bit different than I expected. Absolutely not in a bad way though. I really enjoyed every minute of it. For some reason it reminded me of my childhood. Obviously, there was nothing even close to this kind of thing going on in my childhood (THANK GOD!), but as a teenager, I can remember imagining things similar to what happens in this story.

This book reminds me of the movie Monster Squad from the 1980’s. I’m not sure if you have even heard of that movie
Star
THE PAGE TURNERS: BLOOD is the first book in The Page Turners trilogy about a group of outcast teenage boys who discover a book of magic spells in the school library. They think they've finally found a way to fend off their personal demons (in whatever form they take), but they unwittingly release a killer into the world. Nate Bourdain, Spencer Killick, and Danny Fitch learn quickly how much easier it is to enjoy the supernatural via their chosen media versus fighting it in real life. I think TH ...more
Kathryn
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: liked-a-lot
As Kevin's first book, he has done a great job! I'm looking forward to book 2. Will write a proper review later.
Nathan Frechette
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An engaging and enjoyable read! The teenagers battle their own demons as well as the ones they summon. Very well written! I especially enjoyed Diana as a character.
Lauren Scharhag
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on [http://www.bluehousereview.blogspot.com/]

It’s been said that old age is an island surrounded by death. Childhood is an island, too. There, we find ourselves marooned, without credibility or authority. I think horror writers perhaps more than most remember the visceral terrors that accompany youth—or, at least, they are more successfully able to recreate it.

In Page Turners: Blood, Kevin T. Johns introduces the first of a YA horror/paranormal series that focuses
Sandy Benitez
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a bit hesitant to read this book only because it was described as a YA paranormal horror, sci-fi, and fantasy and I wasn't sure if it would end up being one of those cheesy books in this genre. The description did seem interesting, so I thought I would give it a try. I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The beginning of the book contains maps of the town of Maplewright which I thought was very cool and I could only imagine how much time and effort w
Angélique (MapleBooks)
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults
The Page Turners is one of those novels I almost dropped during the first chapter and I'm glad I didn't. The introduction consists of a two-page extract of a fictive heroic-fantasy novel which entirely failed to catch my interest. Then, the first chapter was all about high school drama, with nerds being bullied by a Back-To-The-Future-Biff-like brute, social embarrassment with girls and hearing-but-not-listening teachers. However, two things kept me reading: first is Kevin T. Johns's elegant and ...more
Paige (Arya)
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nate and his friends are thrilled to discover an ancient book of magic spells hidden in the school library--they now have the means to stand up to the villains who make high-school life such a battle. But, when the book's dark magic releases a fictional killer in the real world, the teens will need to prove they have what it takes to be heroes, or fall as bloody victims in their own horror story turned real. (Book blurb)

A rag-tag group of grade nine nerds, each with his own difficulties at home,
Kristi Bernard
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bullies are no fun and unfortunately they seem to be in every school diligently picking on kids who are different from themselves. But, when magic inserts itself into the world of a young teen boy who unknowingly unleashes it into his world strange things can happen.

Nate Bourdain was very fond of books about heroes, wizards, magic and the fact that the underdog always comes out on top. He and his bookworm friends, who were somewhat outcasts from the rest of the social groups that form in high sc
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

The Page Turners is a YA paranormal/horror novel in which fantasy and reality meet in unexpected ways.

Nate, Danny and Spenser don't fit in at school. In fact, the only time Nate has ever felt at home is when his nose is buried in a book. That's why he and his friends start The Page Turners - a club where they can discuss fantasy and superheroes to their hearts' content. But when they find a book of magic and release
Julie Darley (Never judge a Book by its Movie)
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

I'll start with the cover, I really, really like it. It peaked my interest and so did the blurb. I was also looking forward to some dark magic and pay back to some bullies. The story starts off well enough, Nate is so bored in class he drifts off into his own world and reads his book Paradise Fields and that is where it starts.

Nate is a nerd, he and his two friends Danny and Spencer are part of a book reading, movie lo
Elise Abram
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
In The Page Turners by Kevin T. Johns, Nate and friends Danny and Spencer are The Page Turners, an after school club meeting in the school library to discuss the books they’ve read. After saying an incantation found in an old book in the library, the boys have a disagreement and disband the club. But when Spencer’s girlfriend, Marie, dumps him for Valonde the Lover, a character in the Dark Wedding series novels entitled The Blood Bride, the boys must reunite to save her. The question is will the ...more
Laura Agnella
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Many kids have been in Nate's shoes. He and his friends are the representative teens who are misunderstood, who get pushed aside and bullied and who have personal issues at home. They live for their books and support each other. There is drama surrounding each one of them and their problems are an integral part of the story, helping the reader really connect to each boy and empathize with what they are dealing with. I found myself routing for them throughout the entire story.

The story is fast pa
Julie
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
I'll admit, I'm not always a fan of the teen-horror novel. They make good movies, but that doesn't necessarily mean they make good books. But The Page Turners was a pleasant surprise. More than just another teens-battling-monsters novels, Nate, Spenser and Danny's demons are manifestations of their own greatest fears. When the monsters in the cheesy sci-fi/fantasy novels the boys read come to life… let's just say that this year's yearbook is going to be really interesting.

It works because, from
Stacie
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
The Page Turners: Blood is a riveting fantasy brimming with intense scenes, imminent doom, and surprising twists. The story grabs hold of it's readers and doesn't let go...it's a real "page turner."

Nate and his best friends Danny and Spenser are high school freshman and the only popularity they seem to achieve is that with the school bully. They choose to escape the horrors of high school by diving into the pages of the books they read. The three form a club called "The Page Turners" where they
Bart Hopkins
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Page Turners is a wonderful novel from author Kevin Johns. I’m not usually a fan of Young Adult or Paranormal books, however, this one was a pleasant exception to my normal tastes.

The story revolves around three high school friends—three kids socially on the outskirts—going through the usual teenage problems. They also share some less-than-normal problems … like dark magic and supernatural villains they accidentally unleash on their town.

The plot is well paced. The characters are engaging in
Audrey
3.5+ stars

This book is not too long and can easily be read over a weekend. I started it without knowing much about it, so I got a surprise in the beginning, which started with an epic fantasy scene but turned out to be what the main character was reading. The main character, with his two buddies, are grade-nine students in Canada who unwittingly unleash a bad fictional character onto their town. The story kept me engaged and was not very predictable. The prose is very good overall.

This is aimed
Peter
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book responds to a couple of my reading guilty pleasures:

Canadian fantastika? Check.

Bibliofantasy? Check. And more remarkably a bibliofantasy in two different ways: 1) a book of power, ie a spell book and 2) a book character intruding into the real world. A two-fer no less!

Are the above the most important things about the book? Happily, no. It's an extremely well-written YA novel dealing with issues around bullying, YA alienation and insecurities. A compelling read which happens to be a
Chris Shumate
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great horror novel with geeks, bullies, and vampires (without the stupid glitter). There were times while reading the book that I had to remind myself it was fiction. If you're a teen or an adult who loves to get wrapped up in a well plotted scene that just might frighten you to your core, I highly recommend this book for a taste of scary, yet well done, fiction.
Kevin T Johns
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, there.

Author Kevin T. Johns here. I hope everyone enjoyed the book! Here's an interview literary critic Brendan Blom conducted with me regarding the book.

The town of Maplewright, where The Page Turners is set, is a pretty bleak place. Is it based on a particular town that you know, or is it purely fictional?

Sadly, I view the world as a pretty bleak place, in general. (Laughs) I mean you want to see bleak, just read the news headlines on any give day! That said, I did spend my teen years in
Michelle Cornish
A fun twist on the classic vampire story!

The writing is so vivid that I had to stop a few times, because I found myself looking for creatures that couldn't possibly be there! I love that this takes place in a small town, and a lot of the characters reminded me of people from the small town where I grew up. If you like books about friendship and banding together against villainous vampires, you'll love this one!
Jason Nugent
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first installment of The Page Turners is a fun, exciting, fast-paced thrill-ride. I enjoyed the book from start to finish. The premise was interesting and well executed. I look forward to the next books in the series.
Nancy Nance
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it

I was a bit reluctant to read this book in the beginning as I have never read any paranormal horror story before but I accepted the review request because I wanted to try a new genre.

Kevin T. Johns has done a brilliant job of creating a real page turner with his debut book. The story is full of surprising twists and it grabs hold of its reader from the beginning.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The story is so engrossing that you get lost in the sto
Niamh Dolan
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't wait for the next one to come out.
Yassy F.
Kav
May 04, 2014
Diana Lester
Apr 07, 2017
Kevin T. Johns helps aspiring authors write their books. He is an author, a ghost and copy writer, a writing coach and an entrepreneur. His debut novel, The Page Turners, was well received by readers and had critics describing him as "a new voice in young adult horror". Johns's creative writing book and online course, The Novel Writer's Blueprint: Five Steps to Creating and Completing Your First B ...more

The Page Turners (2 books)
  • Economy of Fear