Start by marking “Alice Through the Needle's Eye” as Want to Read:
Alice Through the Needle's Eye

Alice Through the Needle's Eye

Alice is trying to thread a needle by the fire on a snowy afternoon, when she finds herself in an alphabetical land populated by Siamese-Twin Cats (joined at the tail), the Welsh Rabbit (with his toasted cheese), the Kangaroo, the spelling bees, the Italian Hairdresser who uses a small crocodile as a pair of scissors, Jack and Jill, and best of all- the Grampus. It’s fun t ...more
Published March 30th 1985 by E.P. Dutton (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Alice Through the Needle's Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice Through the Needle's Eye

Ian "Marvin" Graye
I Did It for A Dare!

To attempt a sequel to Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland” series raises reader expectations on at least two levels.

Firstly, the originals are so well-known and well-loved, not to mention extraordinarily well-written, that readers will approach the sequel with a degree of scepticism, and preciousness about the originals.

Secondly, such a project is likely only to attract an author whose chops are already pretty good, so their own reputation as a writer will be under more scr
MJ Nicholls
This ‘third adventure’ is as witty and warm as Carroll’s own stories, perhaps even more so since the emphasis is largely on wordplay, puns and sheer delight in the magic of language. Adair doesn’t parody Carroll, merely imitate his creations in his own unique style, making the settings a tad more modern, but still firmly ensconced in the 19thC. Fresh from reading the two originals, I can safely say this holds up as brilliant and funny, paving the way for the author’s later translation of Perec’s ...more
Daniel
I am a tremendous fan of Lewis Carroll's works, and when I happened upon this book in a used book shop one day, I couldn't resist.

There is much here that is quite in line with Carroll's original stories. The style of writing is quite accurate, and Alice's character seems appropriate. Yet it misses somehow, and I'm not quite sure where or why. Perhaps there seems to be a lack of adventurousness in this Alice, or that she seems a little too bold, rather than curious.

I suspect that I will read this
Beth
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to MJ who recommended Gilbert Adair. This is a sequel to Alice's Adventures and Through the Looking Glass, a feat I didn't think anyone could pull off, but Adair does surprisingly well. He's greatly assisted by superb illustrations by Jenny Thorne which could easily have been done by Tenniel. The book is a clever imitation (without wandering into the 'too cute for words' arena) of Carroll's books, both in detail and overall structure. And most enjoyable is the poem at the end wherein the ...more
Gail Gawlik
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This charming book is true to the tone and feel of the original two books. The characterization of Alice rings true, the story in engaging, and the author adds a humor that is all his own, while always being careful not to lose that authentic Lewis Carroll atmosphere. The wordplay is delightful, something that Carroll would approve of himself, and the illustrations are perfect. I highly recommend this book -- for yourself and all your kids.
Clare Richardson
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Okay. I know you're going to think I'm lying, but I'm not. I tell you that this is just as excellent as a real Alice book.

My copy, inscription (in my grandmother's hand): "To: C, (underlined), from Grandma and Grandpa Taylor. Dec. 27 1990. Now that your tonsils are out I know you will be much better and not get so many sore throats. Get better soon. We love you very much."
April Aasheim
Really cute and it seems to really fit into the Lewis Carrol series. However, while I enjoyed it while I read it (I was a teenager) I can't for the life of me remember it, unlike the other two original books.

Really cute and recommend if you are Alice. Also fun for nostalgia's sake. But it didnt stand the test of time for me.
Raigo
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
No ma ei tea... Kui Carrolli Alice'i-lood saavad mult kõhklematult maksimumpunktid ("Peegel" võimalusel rohkemgi), siis see nõelasilmajutt jättis mind küll ükskõikseks. Selline punnitatud "järg". Kahju. :(
Valerie
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much like the original Alice In Wonderland series. The play on words is interesting and catchy. Not a very long book, probably good for readers who need something short to catch their attention.
Holly
May 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alice
Adair seemed to be trying too hard to capture the Carrollian style. The characters are dull and unlovable, most of the puns are not at all clever, and a lot of concepts are recycled. Only a couple of witty puns to be found throughout the book.
Seth
Mar 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a relatively fun read if you enjoyed books like Lewis Carol's original Alice in Wonderland or Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth. Be prepared for a lot of nonsensical adventure, much wordplay, and an absolutely enjoyable way to while away the hours.
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
When I read something like this, I marvel at how exquisite Lewis Carroll's originals were. I suppose it's easier to transform Alice into another medium (opera, film, painting) rather than try to replicate the will-o-the-wisp genius of those first two books. Gilbert Adair does a fair job, but I end up being disappointed at times by how similar it is, and at other times by how dissimilar it is--you can't win for trying. Some of the conceptions didn't seem quite right, to me, and I think he's bette ...more
Wolfie Smoke
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alice in Wonderland fans
This book is amazing!

This book really lives up to Alice in Wonderland. The whimsicalness and nonsense and wordplay screamed Lewis Carroll. Even the illustrations were the exact style of the original books. I highly, highly recommend picking this up if you're a big Alice fan. You wont regret it!
Kristina
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-has
This books is not to bad if you want to continue the story. It has a bunch of short stories and is a quick read.
A
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goes perfectly with the series!
Vanessa
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad . The outstanding thing about this dream/adventure is that Alice doesn't have to eat , drink or toke anything to increase the excitement of her journey . A clever penultimate ending .
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, middle-grade
This new adventure for Lewis Carroll's Alice finds her in another strange dream, this one influenced by the alphabet. It's got quite a few grins and laughs in it. I enjoyed it as a kid, and I enjoyed rereading it.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
ben holum
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alice fanatics.
Shelves: alice, fiction
My favorite of the sequels to the Alice books. Just as good as the originals; the only sequel I can honestly say that about.
Alex Suslin
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
отличное продолжение любимой книги. автору удалось выдержать слог Льюиса Кэролла и достойно написать продолжение его книги
Leslie
Stephanie Eich
Dec 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fantastic Alice
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • In the Shadow of the Dreamchild: The Myth and Reality of Lewis Carroll
  • Rhinegold
  • Inventing Wonderland: the Lives and Fantasies of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, J.M. Barrie, Kenneth Grahame and A.A. Milne
  • Corbenic
  • Twenty Trillion Leagues Under The Sea
  • Something Leather
  • The Brave Little Toaster
  • Black Colossus (Conan the Barbarian, #4)
  • Eye of the Moon
  • Lizard Music
  • The Sleep of Stone
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Town
  • The Secret Books of Paradys (Secret Books of Paradys, #1-4)
  • The Wombles
  • The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files
  • Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life
Gilbert Adair was a writer, film critic, and journalist.

For more information, please see http://www.contemporarywriters.com/au...