Start by marking “Emily Brontë: A Biography (Oxford Paperbacks)” as Want to Read:
Emily Brontë: A Biography (Oxford Paperbacks)

Emily Brontë: A Biography (Oxford Paperbacks)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Winifred Gérin's Emily Brontë marks the culmination of seventeen years' research and completes her cycle of Brontë biographies begun in 1959 with Anne Brontë, followed in 1961 with Bramwell Brontë, and in 1967 with Charlotte Brontë: the Evolution of Genius which obtained three major literary awards.
Emily Brontë has been the subject of numerous literary studies, but there h
Published November 1st 1978 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Emily Brontë, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily Brontë

Sara
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Una lettura magnifica, preziosa, imprescindibile per chiunque intenda avvicinarsi quanto più possibile a questa sfuggente figura. Insieme al libro di Mrs. Chadwick è la biografia migliore che ho letto fino a ora.
Chari
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos, 2017
Si la figura de Emily, al igual que la de todos los miembros Brontë, han sido reiterado e insistente objetivo desde que recuerdo, de mi más ferviente interés, admiración y sobre todo fascinación, esta biografía tan maravillosa de Winifred Gérin ha multiplicado infinitamente ese deslumbramiento y mi respeto, reconocimiento y aprecio por la misteriosa Emily Brontë como poeta, escritora y ser humano.

Necesito ahora, encarecidamente, el resto de biografías galardonadas escritas por Winifred Gérin, qu
Bryan
Sep 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone but the dolts
While "The Dark Quartet" may be a more entertaining read on the life of the Brontes, this biography provides an exceptionally thorough and intriguing discussion on the most reclusive (and BRILLIANT) of the foursome. Emily Bronte was,without question, the GREATEST writer the world has ever seen - and will ever see! Gerin does an admirable job in exploring both the mundane and the mystical experiences and influences that led to the creation of the Gondal saga, the poetry - and, of course, that TOW ...more
MerryMeerkat
Way too anxiety provoking for me to read. I stopped when Maddy is accused of not helping out with the fire. I knew then I wouldn't be able to read the rest without being anxious.
Angela
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Engaging biography spoiled in last pages by rampant speculative psycho-analysis of the cause of Bronte's death (she claimed it was psychosomatic and Bronte wanted death!) I also found myself becoming increasingly sceptical at the idea Bronte was a 'mystic'. I think the context of widespread Victorian Protestantism and religion at the time has to be considered when assessing how the Brontes wrote about 'spiritual' matters, and the romanticising of Emily as a 'mystic' is problematic anyway. It's a ...more
Kate Krz
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just great, really! I am a big admirer of the Brontës and of Emily in particular and have read other biographies about her and the family before. Gérin's appears not only excellently researched but written in an engaging and emotionally captivating manner. It took me quite a while to read the whole book but then this was more for want of studying it at my own pace rather than racing through it to have it finished. If you are interested in Emily Brontë's life then I suggest this is a must-read! E ...more
Zandra
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very sympathetic work that gave me a sense of Emily Bronte's greatness and oddness, both as a person and in terms of her writing. Her's is an heroic, tragic story, carefully and thoroughly told by Winifred Gerin.
Katherine
Nov 03, 2015
Joanna Blake
Aug 02, 2013
Manon Herve
rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2015