Start by marking “The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)

The Fifth Season

(The Broken Earth #1)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  83,844 ratings  ·  10,918 reviews
This is the way the world ends. Again.

Three terrible things happen in a single day. Essun, a woman living an ordinary life in a small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Meanwhile, mighty Sanze -- the world-spanning empire whose innovations have been civilization's bedrock for a thousand years -- collapses
Audiobook, 16 pages
Published August 4th 2015 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth Season, please sign up.
N.K. Jemisin For the next book in the trilogy? Well, I'm working on it now, and hope to be done with the first draft in a few months. Hard to say when it will be…moreFor the next book in the trilogy? Well, I'm working on it now, and hope to be done with the first draft in a few months. Hard to say when it will be published after that, though; I don't control that part!(less)

·  83,844 ratings  ·  10,918 reviews

Cezara
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, 5 full stars for this one because it's everything I want in a fantasy book. I will explain.

I don't read fantasy and sci-fi because I like magic or space ships or laser swords or what have you. I read fantasy and sci-fi because I want to see something new, and there's no other genre that allows this much freedom of imagination, this much flexibility and bending of reality and this much room for "what ifs". The genres are ripe with tropes and cliches even so, and I'm at that point where it pa
Rick Riordan
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because I greatly enjoyed Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, but this novel was even better. Jemisin blew me away with her world-building and beautiful writing. It's the tale of an alternate earth called the Stillness, which is plagued by constant seismic activity. This leads to frequent near-extinction events called "Fifth Seasons" that keep humans on their toes. The evidence of past civilizations litters the planet -- ruined cities, incomplete 'stonelore' handed down fro ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
O.M.G.

Post-apocalyptic mixed with Fantasy? My two favorite genre? Hell yes! This was such a good read!

The writing does take some time to get used to (one section the narration is told at the second person for example!) but I didn't find it slow and found myself immersed into it very quickly but more time was clearly put into it than the average Fantasy so it might be why it can take a bit more time to get used to it!

Totally recommend it and I'm planning on reading the whole trilogy pretty much
Melanie
This book is beautiful, this book is smart, this book is oh so heartbreaking, and this book is a masterpiece. This is one of those books that make you feel absolutely guilty for giving out five stars to other books. This book is unlike anything I've ever read, but it felt so seamlessly woven. This book mirrors the society we live in today and makes you think about all those uncomfortable topics you'd rather ignore and pretend do not exist. This book has the best representation I've ever read in ...more
شيماء ✨
I can literally use the word “fuck” to display every emotion I have about this book. Like, I swear if I were a thousand years old and had already seen everything there is to see seven times over, the plot twists in this book would still have been about the last goddamn thing I’d have ever expected.

Absolutely brilliant.
Petrik
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mix of high fantasy & Sci fi fans
4.5/5 Stars

I will not start my review for this book with some praises. Don’t get me wrong, this is an amazing book (oh shit I just did), but I’d like to start this review instead by saying patience is virtue is apt here.

This book and my review will be dedicated to all of you.

The Fifth Season, the first book in the Broken Earth trilogy is, in my opinion, a book that will truly require some patience
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 on Kindle US today. 7-20-17

I mean wow! This book is totally out there. There were a few things I didnt like but overall it was pretty amaze balls!

This world Jemisin created is like nothing I have read before. I love there are groups of people with powers. The book is dark with sparks of hope here and there. And I still can't get over what happened to Essun's son. That has stuck with me through the whole book.

At first I was afraid I wasn't going to understand anything in the book
Elise (TheBookishActress)
—for all those who have to fight for the respect others are given without question.

From reading this dedication, I knew this would be a special book, and I was... right.

Uh, okay, I feel like the fact that this series won a Hugo award [two, actually - and it’ll probably win a third] does show some degree of quality. But that won’t stop me from getting into the details of why this book works so well!!

First of all, the writing is fucking gorgeous, but doesn’t take itself too seriously - there’
Bradley
Edit, 10:52 pm, tonight. :) N.K. Jemisin is the WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) Was there any doubt?

Old Review (from a few hours ago):

Re-Read 8/20/16, the day the Hugo Awards Ceremony is to take place for the novel I voted for. :) Coincidentally, I'll be reading the sequel tomorrow. :)

So was it as good as I remember? Actually, better. But that's mostly because I'm in on the trick and the secret of the MC is is laid bare and the whole novel then becomes a character exploration for me as we
Lyn
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good.

N. K. Jemison’s 2016 Hugo Award winner’s world building is as good as Frank Herbert or Ursula LeGuin and with magic rules as well thought out as Brandon Sanderson and with an intimate talent for complex characterization as good as Octavia Butler.

All comparisons aside, Jemisin’s work is wildly original and she has created a far future fantasy that provokes thought and entertains. Evoking Jack Vance’s The Dying Earth, this is far, far in the future (if it is even Earth) where some peop
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

4.5 stars. What you know for sure is that you're not a child. You don't want to know what would happen if you were (this world is nasty). But you walk. Restlessly, you walk. At this point you're not sure it means something. You go on, though, because you're intrigued. Orogene, guardian, pirate, commless, you're part of the humanity anyway (they don't think you are). You're no stranger to rules (death awaits if you are) yet life destroys them at times (this is the way the world ends, again). So
Twerking To Beethoven
New updated review.

I'm told N.K. Jemisin won YET another ((probably) deserved) Hugo Award this year. Her third in a row.

As some of yaz are probably well aware of, I'm not fond of her writing style nor of her bullshit books. What can I do? I just don't like her stuff. Anyways, where was I? Oh yes, when I tried to read the first installment of "The Broken Earth", I just failed to finish it and ended up throwing the bastard on the barbie along with some shrimps and prawns... ruining both the shri
Nnedi
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful haunting tale told in the way that I love, with little regard for the linear illusion of time. And the voices, oh the three voices.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 38%. Please someone give me a medal.

The gif is strong is this one. Consider your little barnacled selves warned.

This was such a delightful read.

Just kidding. Bloody stinking fish, this was painful as shrimp.

99,99999% of you People of Despicable Book Taste (PoDBT™) thought this was deliriously mind-blowing and scrumptiously original and fantabuliciously well written and all that crap, which can mean only one thing: you I read the book terribly wrong. Strange. That has rarely ever ha
Althea Ann
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'm going to have to shell out for my WorldCon membership just so I can nominate this book for a Hugo.
____

I recently noticed that Nora Jemisin's Goodreads profile lists her "influences" as Tanith Lee & Ursula K. Le Guin. I'm not sure if she put that in there or someone else did - but those just happen to be two of my most favorite authors; and yes, I can see the 'influence' on this book.

Previously, I've only read Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - her first book. It was good enough t
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/07/20/b...

This book had the distinction of being on both my most anticipated SFF lists for 2014 and 2015, due to the publisher’s decision to push its release date back a year in order to give N.K. Jemisin more time to work on the sequels. So it was with no small amount of excitement when an advance copy finally made it into my hands. Proof that it was really happening.

And oh boy, was it TOTALLY worth the wait.

Initially though, my
J.L.   Sutton
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From its ominous opening, "This is the way the world ends. Again", N.K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season offers an original and amazingly immersive experience! Jemisin's world-building exists side by side with a world teetering on the brink of destruction. But this has happened before. Natural disasters such as earthquakes and volcanoes have wreaked havoc on the Stillness, the super continent and only land mass of this world. Previous generations/civilizations have been unable to avoid the destruction ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: Amazon Daily Deal 19Jan18 $2.99

4.5 Dystopianesk Fantasy Stars

“When we say “the world has ended,” it’s usually a lie, because the planet is just fine. But this is the way the world ends. This is the way the world ends. This is the way the world ends. For the last time.”

This was pretty different. It there is such a thing as dystopian fantasy then this is that. Not only are you on a world where there are the regular humans and lands and society. But there are also people whose magi
Tatiana
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Catie
Shelves: 2016, fantasy, hugo, locus, nebula
Updated 8/23/16 Even better second time around. I think it deserves a bump up to 5 stars.

It took me a few chapters to get into the story, but once I did, it was a smooth, fun ride. Awesome mythology. The polyamory scenario wasn't bad either.
Bibi
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So clever.

I've been on a reading binge of mostly sci-fi/fantasy fusion and let me tell you, this book will rock your world.

Hats off to Ms Jemisin. In all honesty I can't fathom how the idea and execution for this series could have originated from someone's brain.

A must read for lovers of sci-fi fantasy!
Riley
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best book I've read all year. I don't even have words right now
✨    jamieson   ✨
this book is spectacular. smart, clever, well crafted, well timed, full of great characters and great scenes. I love fantasy but it lets me down a lot. Sometimes I feel it's the same plot rehashed, over and over. The Fifth Season is unlike anything else I have ever read. No wonder it's so popular, and N.K Jemisin won not one, not two, but THREE Hugo awards for this trilogy.

A
Scott  Hitchcock
I picked this book up forever ago on a Kindle daily deal for $1.99. I started it a month or so later. About 5 pages in I thought wow I'm really not feeling this I'll come back to it later. A few months pass and I try again, 5 pages and same result. After a few months I setup a group read to get myself to commit to more than 5 pages. So I start the book and after chapter one I'm thinking Holy Crap how is this getting such a great rating?

I then read chapter two and it was so awesome. Chapter two
Philip
4.5ish stars.

Wow. This book was unlike anything I've read in a long time. I know that distinction gets thrown out a lot but not by me. I love the fantasy genre but not because every book I read within it is innovative and unique. There's really a lot of the same thing, which I'm fine with because I like most of the tried-and-true tropes and reliable modus operandi. But this. I don't even know how to classify it. It's not so much fantasy as it is... whatever it is. But I like it.

I took a few pag
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
4 Stars for The Fifth Season

"This is the way the world ends.... for the last time"

I was immediately drawn into the mythology and Jemisin's writing. It took a few chapters to really get into the story but I think that had a bit to do with navigating through the vocabulary. Once I understood it enough not to be distracted by having to stop and think about what was what and who was who in relation to this "new to me" world, I couldn't put the book down.

As you continue to read, your initial pat
Hannah
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, loved-it
That was amazing. I read a lot of fantasy and obviously love that genre immensely - still, I don't usually give fantasy books five stars but this one definitely deserves every single one of those stars because it is pretty stinking fantastic.

The world N. K. Jemisin created is mesmerizing in its casual cruely, both in regards to the planet (that is pretty much out to kill everyone) and in regards to the social structure of the people living on this hostile planet. There are near extinction events
Markus
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Every time the earth moves, you will hear its call."

The Fifth Season is another interesting experiment by N. K. Jemisin. And while I would argue that it has been tremendously overrated, it is still overall a pretty good book with a lot of qualities. It reads more like an unpolished, interesting debut novel than an award-winning piece by an experienced author, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Let’s start with the criticism, why don’t we? (That is my attempt at paraphrasing the book’s ope
Mayim de Vries
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From time to time we do stumble upon a book that shakes us like a magnitude 10 earthquake. A book that requires a 6 star rating. Books that are as beautiful as they are scary, as haunting as they are prophetic happen once in a while to remind me that reading is much more than entertainment or a pleasant pastime; reading is necessity. The Fifth Season is one of these books.

How to explain pure genius condensed in the usual triangle of narrative-characters-worldbuilding? Jemisin begins: "Imagine a
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
On sale $2.99 on US Kindle March 16, 2019!

T he Guardians. This group of people are the only ones with true power over the orogenes. Schaffa is Guardian to Damaya, a young girl he rescues from an abusive household. Guardians can negate the orogenes’ power. They are feared and respected and I found them quite villainous!

H eterogeneous. This book rocked the socks off diversity! There were people of all skin shades and sexual identification. What was great about it is that there was no political m
Angelica
Well, shit. I now see why this won all those awards.

This book has won all the awards for fantasy. The Hugo, the Nebula, the Locus, everything! If there is an award for fantasy writing, this one has it! So, as you can imagine, I was pretty nervous to read it. What if it didn't live up to all the hype?  What if it wasn't the masterpiece everyone claimed it was? What if it wasn't everything that I wanted it to be?

What if all the hype was for nothing?

Thankfully, my fears were for nothing, because bo

• Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Infidel (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
  • The Outskirter's Secret (The Steerswoman, #2)
  • A Taste of Honey
  • Who Fears Death (Who Fears Death, #1)
  • The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe
  • Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1)
  • Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence, #1)
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • The Descent of Monsters (Tensorate, #3)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
N. K. Jemisin lives and works in New York City.

The Broken Earth (3 books)
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
  • The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3)
“For all those that have to fight for the respect that everyone else is given without question.” 178 likes
“Home is what you take with you, not what you leave behind.” 89 likes