Start by marking “Rise of the Rebels (Star Wars Rebels Chapter Book, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Rebels (Star Wars Rebels Chapter Book, #1)

Rise of the Rebels

(Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel)

Meet Ezra and the rebels crew!

Your faborite Star Wars Rebels heroes are ready to fight the evil Empire! Kanan, Hera, and trusty old Chopper battle TIE fighters while Sabine uses her artistic talents to outsmart Stormtroopers. Zeb never misses an opportunity to take down troopers, and Ezra scores a special souvenir at the crash site of an Imperial fighter.
Published August 5th 2014 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Rebels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Rebels

Start your review of Rise of the Rebels (Star Wars Rebels Chapter Book, #1)
Jtimko
This is a compilation of four stories from the Star Wars Rebels series. They include- The Machine in the Ghost, Art Attack, Entanglement, and Property of Ezra Bridger.
Fans of the Star War Rebels series will enjoy re-hashing the antics of their favorite characters. Short chapters make for a quick read while keeping the readers’ attention. The artwork complements the story well. If you have patrons who love this series, then you need to purchase this volume for the elementary reader. Recommended
Ben
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is aimed at young readers. This is not surprising, as is a sort of intro to the characters in the Star Wars Rebels show, which has great moments and other, not so good ones. The issues I have with both the show and this book are the moments where being a "good guy" means that a situation resolve to flippantly or easily. Fighting with armored, trained opponents comes off as toying with buffoons at times, and that gets so tired so fast for me.

A victory is weak when it comes too easily,
Jenna
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was the cutest! I loved the beautiful art and the story in general. I am super excited to read the other 3 books in this series. This book had 4 sections to it, explaining each of the short stories of the main characters from the Ghost. On YouTube, I was able to find each of the stories, so what I did was read a section and then watch the short 3 minute clip of it. I really enjoyed doing this. It took about an hour to read and watch each of the 3 minute clips from YouTube. I have ...more
Ahdom
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was basically an adaptation of the prequel shorts for Rebels. I still really get a lot out of these as they really give us a bit more on character insight on the events that happen. I will eventually read ever Rebels book in my journey to read all of the Star Wars canon. These books go by quickly and are really entertaining.
Maria
Considering that this is a novelization of the shorts, this was well done! Kogge fleshed out the characters in a way the shorts couldn't!
Loved the interior illustrations as well, definitely helps readers imagination with character traits.
Aaron Deming
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play-books
I love Star Wars Rebels, but when I first watched the miniepisodes that introduced each character, I thought they were pretty childish. Reading this retelling of those 4 stories was so much better. The author made them less childish, and hinted at the tragic backstory behind each character.
Cale
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a quick, junior-high level book that gives fairly quick introductions for the Ghost's crew. The stories do a good job of capturing the voice and style of the characters. Zeb gets the best moments, although Sabine's story is good too. Chopper actually gets more attention than Hera and Kanan do, and Ezra's story is okay but nothing special. It's a nice introduction to most of the characters without spoiling any of the episodes, but at the same time it's not at all required reading.
Steven
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Now, this is what I look for from a Star Wars novelization intended for young readers. Rise of the Rebels is an adaptation of the shorts that preceded the premiere of Star Wars: Rebels, and while it's all very straightforward, writer Michael Kogge finds great ways to embellish the 3-minute shorts and expand them to several more pages. The book is a fun introduction to the characters from the show, which I intend to settle down with soon.
Emily
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun prequel to the TV series with some insights into the character's thoughts and feelings plus info on what they were up to before Ezra joined the crew.
Jordan
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
First off, I probably never would have picked this up if I knew ahead of time that it was just going to be a novelization of the four mini-episodes that they produced ahead of the upcoming TV series. On the whole, there was little here that wasn't in the actual shorts, with a couple notable exceptions. In the Sabine-centric story Art Attack, there was an incredibly unsubtle segment from the POV of one of the Stormtroopers. He actually muses on how he was recruited based on his record as a bully, ...more
Nancy Murphy
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I went in this not knowing a level recommendation for this. I knew it was classified "children's chapter book" and that was it.

The writing itself was elementary level but not boring or too easy. It was comprised of short stories centered around our new heros. These are all cleary placed prior to the series from which it is based, but after the events of A New Dawn.

I found the stories endearing and if I had kids of an appropriate age level would probably be reading this to them. It was a great
Robyn Jones
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, sci-fi
I read this with my 6 year old and he gives it five stars. I agree. The cast of characters is truly a band of misfits. Of course he would have liked more pictures, but the few illustrations captivated him. We can't wait to read the next installment. Ezra is my favorite, a young kid taught the hard way that he's all he's got, but there's something special about him. Thing is, there's something special about him besides The Force. Ezra is my son's favorite character "because he has a slingshot." ...more
Nancy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Adaptation of the four shorts that were released prior to the first season of the show: "The Ghost in the Machine", "Art Attack", "Entanglement", "Property of Ezra Bridger". They introduce the main characters. Nothing new here that isn't in the shorts themselves.

This is aimed at younger readers. The text is interspersed with images, stock art, and logos from the show's promotional materials. I imagine this is ok for what it is, but it's not my thing when it comes to Star Wars middle grade
Richard Harrison
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Got a signed copy of this book from the author at New York Comic-Con a couple of years ago and finally got around to reading it. Now I've read this one, two others and a few issues of Rebels-related comics, I reckon I'm ready to start watching the TV show. This book was a quick-read introduction to the Rebels characters and definitely got the job done.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
My young readers loved this. They didn't want me to stop reading.

It's an intro to the main characters of the new Rebels show, so there isn't a whole lot of plot going on. There's a bit of action, but not a lot. There isn't a whole lot of in-depth character study either.

Didn't matter for my readers though, so it was well worth it.
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novel follows the characters from the popular Disney cartoon series, Star Wars Rebels including. In this novel, Ezra and Sabine outsmart storm troopers. My nine year old son Kile really enjoys this television series and enjoyed this book as well.

My reviews of several Children's Star Wars books are located at: http://lauragerold.blogspot.com/2015/...
Mario
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy adecuado para jóvenes lectores, es la novelización de los cuatro cortometrajes lanzados previamente al estreno de la primera temporada de Rebels: La Máquina en el Fantasma, Ataque con Arte, Enredo y Propiedad de Ezra Bridger.
Con una narración amena y ligera, Michael Kogge expande la descripción de los episodios y añade detalles chistosos. Recomendado para edades de 6 en adelante.
Brandt
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, scifi, star-wars
This is just an adaptation of the shorts that aired on Disney XD before the show debuted. I had never sought out the shorts before reading this (even though I have watched most of the series) so there's that. This is probably good for a kid like mine who has some difficulties reading, but loves Rebels.
Ryan
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
For what it is the book was decent. It is basically an introduction to the new characters. At parts it was very good but others are geared toward children. I would like to read the novel associated with the new rebel characters
Bill Williams
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun introduction to the new upcoming series. This isn't grand prose by any stretch of the imagination, but it suceeds at what it is supposed to do: Getting you familiar with the new show and characters. Looking forward to the new cartoon and the next books in this series.
Morbus Iff
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars, younger
Meh. Episode adaptations. And not even full episodes - the little mini-releases. Ah well.
Liam
I liked reading the stories about the different rebels.
PWRL
Apr 18, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-new
SM
Lynn
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Star Wars fans will love this chapter book for grades 2-7. Packed with action and adventure in an attractive format.
James
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice introduction to the characters in the upcoming animated series. It is written for younger readers, but was enjoyable.
Jacob Thornburg
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
More Star Wars Rebels young reader stuff. Exactly what one thinks it's going to be, which is sci-fi written for kids. God for parents of kids, good for kids. Yay!
Also, I liked the art.
Yazir Paredes
Just a Retelling of the animated shorts that serve as a prelude to Season 1 of Star Wars Rebels
Thomas Ballard
Jan 08, 2015
Jarlaxe (Christine)
Nov 12, 2016
Zeb
rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2014

• Edge of the Galaxy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #1)
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • The Nest (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #2)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • The Snare (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #1)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • The Escape (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #0)
  • Blade Squadron - Part II
  • Blade Squadron - Part I
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Retirement Planning Tips for Baby Boomers: Checklist for retirement planning
Michael Kogge is an American screenwriter and author who has written for several Star Wars projects, including the Star Wars Adventure Journal, Star Wars Gamer magazine, Hyperspace, Star Wars Insider magazine, and the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire roleplaying game. He has also authored a series of Star Wars Rebels chapter books, adapting episodes from the show's first season.

Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Edge of the Galaxy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #1)
  • Rebel in the Ranks (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #2)
  • Imperial Justice (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #3)
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Secret Academy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #4)
  • Before the Awakening (Star Wars)
  • Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens (Star Wars)
“There were few signs of her people in the galaxy these days other than the notorious bounty hunter Boba Fett, who wore Mandalorian armor. His captures and kills had only helped spread the legend that the Mandalorians were the most fearsome warriors in the galaxy.” 0 likes
“One day, maybe her own name would have a similar effect. Sabine Wren. Another Mando you didn’t want to mess with. A great warrior and a great artist.” 0 likes