Start by marking “I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World (Young Readers Edition)” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  15,285 ratings  ·  2,024 reviews
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.

Instead
Hardcover, Young Readers Edition, 240 pages
Published August 19th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Am Malala, please sign up.
Anne16 Both books are, certainly, well-written, but the "adult" version is much more comprehensive in terms of the history, political history, and cultural…moreBoth books are, certainly, well-written, but the "adult" version is much more comprehensive in terms of the history, political history, and cultural aspects of Pakistan and much more in depth regarding events Malala experiences. I have read both with 7th graders, and the "young reader" version was appreciated much more.(less)
Notash Batool definitely it can..Yes it is possible!For a educated and better environment it's not necessary to have a throng of people it can possible like we…moredefinitely it can..Yes it is possible!For a educated and better environment it's not necessary to have a throng of people it can possible like we teach a single person and he can further teach others!(less)

Lola
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Malala refused to believe girls should be denied an education. Why should girls not be allowed to attend school? It’s their right.

So Malala spoke in favour of educating girls during a time when it was very dangerous to do so. But Malala was not afraid; she was determined.

This is more than a simple memoir. Malala doesn’t just talk about herself—her past, her present and her future. She talks about what is around her; the world that surrounds her, and she points out what is right and what is wrong
Matt
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: audiobook, buddy-read
My journey of biographies has taken me inside the lives of political figures, television personalities, and even those involved in cults and religious sects. This next book shifts focus while retaining the perspective of a girl (and young woman) at the narrative helm. In this piece, young Malala Yousafzai chimes in and offers some of her own opinions growing up and becoming an international advocate for universal primary education for all children. Malala lays a foundation for the reader with a ...more
Sarah Churchill
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not to be confused with the other edition with a very similar name, this is Malala's story 'rewritten for an audience her own age'. Having not read the original I can't really comment on what might have been changed here, though the idea of making any changes for a younger readership has me torn. I mostly disagree with the notion of 'watering down' or in any way omitting information in order to appeal to a younger audience, and in my experience YA readers are: 1. not easily offended or shocked, ...more
Mariah Roze
This was the Young Reads version, but it was still super compelling and informational! Wow! I never really knew the story behind Malala besides she was shot for standing up for women's education, so this was really informational!

I read this for the Goodread's book club Diversity in All Forms!

I recommend this book to everyone and I plan on still reading the adult version of this book.

I bought a classroom set of this book, so I can read it with my students next semester :)
Simona Stoica
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nu cred că există cuvinte potrivite pentru a o descrie pe Malala, poate doar eroină și supraviețuitoare: este uimitor cât de multe lucruri a realizat. M-a impresionat atât susținerea primită din partea părinților ei, cât și încrederea pe care aceștia au avut-o în ea, încrederea că fiica lor va reuși tot ce și-a propus. Obstacolele și restricțiile religioase mi s-au părut cutremurătoare.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you to Orion for providing me with this book in return for an honest review!
Firstly, I just want to mention that this memoir is the 'younger readers' version of her memoir titled, 'I Am Malala'. I think that older children in schools should definitely be reading this book and talking about it. It will open their eyes not only to the importance of education, but also to different cultures, religions, beliefs, countries and the impact that terrorism can have.
Reading Malala's story was truly
e.
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my calling. Some powerful force had come to dwell inside me, something bigger and stronger than me and it made me fearless.

Malala redefines the definition of hero and courage. An inspiration to all. She stood up for what she believed in (girl's rights & education) despite all odds - if that doesn't act as encouragement to pursue your dreams and never back down for what you believe is right, then I really don't know what is. The Young Learner's edition was written simply and intell
Jana
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a powerful read!
Slađana
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Predivna knjiga o teškom životu u Pakistanu koji je podijeljen na mnogo diktatora koji svi žele provesti neke svoje zakone, a te zakone im nalaže vjera, ista sveta knjiga Kuran, od svakog različito tumačena i zbog toga tamo živote gube mnogi nedužni ljudi, žene i djeca. Uništavaju se životi i kultura jedne zemlje, njena povijest se izvrće, a budućnost je neizvjesna kao i sadašnjost, jer dok god netko ne stane na kraj teroristima (talibanima) na kraj i dalje će ginuti nedužni...
Priča o jednoj hra
Filipa
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ganhei este livro num passatempo e embora tivesse alguma curiosidade para o que ia encontrar, a verdade é que não estava assim muito entusiasmada... ainda para mais esta é uma versão para jovens leitores.

(Depois de lê-lo estive com a edição "normal" nas mãos e folheei-a para ver diferenças e parece-me que nesta minha edição, as partes mais sangrentas e violentas são omitidas ou ditas de uma maneira muito muito soft)

A história de Malala é uma história que, como ela própria o diz, podia ser de qua
✿Ivy Roots✿
Pages: 240
Rating: 3.5/5
Recommended?: YES

Review:

We tend to remember the happiest, saddest, surprising, often the most tragic aspects of our pasts. In other words, we find the rather extreme moments in our lives to be the most memorable.

With that being said, I remember the first time I
Lui Vega
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I mean, this person is a living saint. You need to read this book.
Abby
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malala Yousafzai is one incredible girl. I don't know a single person who isn't familiar with her. For those who don't recognize the name, she'd the one who was shot by the Taliban in Pakistan for taking a stand for education. I can't even fathom going through the things that she did. Now, for the review of the book. Malala herself gets a 5/5. She has an amazing story that everyone needs to hear. But the book fell through for me. There was lots of history about Pakistan and Islam, which is all g ...more
Susan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This girl is a real inspiration. Sometimes I forget she was only 11 or 12 or 13 years old as she describes speeches she gave to various organisations long before she was shot. Her parents are also strong people who encouraged her all along and stood up for what they believed was right all the time.

She explains how things changed politically in Pakistan over the years clearly and in a very balanced way. She loves her homeland and would love to go back but sadly as we know the Taliban have strong
Simona
Rating: 5/5

Având în vedere atentatele petrecute în ultima perioadă cred că mi-am ales foarte bine momentul pentru a citi o carte care pune accentul pe pacea în lume și libertatea de a ne exprima așa cum ne simțim noi cel mai bine. Eu sunt Malala: tânăra care a luptat pentru educație și a schimbat lumea este o carte minunată care m-a capturat de la primele cuvinte! Mi-a plăcut cum autoarea Malala Yousafzai a avut puterea de a trece mai departe peste o serie de greutăți pe care viața i le-a pus în
Robert
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You need to read this book.
Joood Hooligan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I checked the audiobook out from the library, forgetting that I had bought the ebook when it was on sale... because I'm that sort of person. As amused and annoyed as I was with myself when I realized this, I actually ended up getting a better experience with the book this way. Malala speaks at the beginning and end of the book, and there's her UN speech as well. So, the audio version is definitely worth listening to.

It's pretty emotional, hearing about how
Princolitas
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Me encantan las historias basadas en hechos reales y qué mejor cuando la propia persona cuenta su historia, pero al empezar el libro todo parecía una completa distopía, me recordaba cosas que leía en los juegos del hambre y otras sagas, con la diferencia que ¡esto fue real! Muchas veces pienso que el mundo no está tan alejado de aquellas distopías que leemos, y este libro lo ha confirmado, he quedado sorprendida por todo lo sucedido y la increíble determinación de Malala, que con una edad tan pe ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Malala was unlucky enough to be born in a country where girls were told they could not attend school. Malala was courageous enough to take a stand against this. Malala was unfortunate enough to be the victim of those who do not want girls to get an education. Malala was fortunate enough to live through the bombing.

We are lucky to have Malala in the world, championing the rights of girls.
Heba Alnahdi
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: سيرة
تم بحمد الله اول كتاب باللغه الانجليزيه اقرأه 💙
Bookish
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Inspiring... This Young Readers Editiion a must read for all school-going children!
Jeanne
In a country where women aren’t allowed out in public without a man, we girls traveled far and wide inside the pages of our books. In a land where many women can’t read the prices in the markets, we did multiplication. In a place where, as soon as we were teenagers, we’d have to cover our heads and hide ourselves from the boys who’d been our childhood playmates, we ran as free as the wind. (p. 34)

When I read Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl in 8th grade, I was deeply moved. I continue to rea
Calin Biris
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
O carte bună de citit la orice vârstă, despre povestea incredibila a Malalei, o fata pakistaneză care are curajul de a vorbi în numele tuturor fetelor private de dreptul de a merge la școală și de a avea parte de educație.

Ce mi-a plăcut la carte este că reusește să prezinte viața (cu părțile bune și rele) celor care trăiesc în zonele de conflict și să transmită un mesaj optimist în același timp.
Viir
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Malala is a strong woman who, at a very young age, started to campaign for women’s rights and education. I believe her parents played a big part in raising Malala to be humble but standing her ground and questioning her surroundings.

This book not only describes her life till now but also how Pakistan changed with the Taliban, a very interesting read that I highly recommend.
Chelsea
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Malala is an amazing, inspiring young woman, and I have great respect for her and her story.

However, I was really not a fan of the way this was written. It came off very simple and young sounding (which I understand since Malala is very young and not a professional writer), and from the few biographies I have read this was not a favorite.

I read this for school, and we also watched the Malala movie documentary. I feel her story was much better suited to movie format than book.

I am glad I had the
Sovichea Kon
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to learn about the life of the youngest Nobel Peace Laureate and how she comes to be famous. Before I thought she is really mature because she takes her time off her childhood to fight for human rights, but after I read this book, I understand a lot about her, Pakistan and the Taliban as well. Even though she won a Nobel Peace Prize, she is still the same Malala who loves school, who plays with her brothers the same ways. Taliban shot her brain, but they had never be able to shut her ...more
Marissa
Peeves
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I accidentally picked up the young reader's edition and hence my reading experience was slightly watered down. But i guess that is my fault for not picking up the correct version for my age.

Generally, this book achieves what it initially set out do, which is to directly answer the question of 'Who is Malala?'. It gives us a sufficient inside look into the world of Malala and why is she the Malala we know today.