Start by marking “I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World” as Want to Read:
I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World

I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  22,129 ratings  ·  2,732 reviews
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.

Instead
Hardcover, Young Readers Edition, 240 pages
Published August 19th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Am Malala, please sign up.
Anne16 Both books are, certainly, well-written, but the "adult" version is much more comprehensive in terms of the history, political history, and cultural a…moreBoth books are, certainly, well-written, but the "adult" version is much more comprehensive in terms of the history, political history, and cultural aspects of Pakistan and much more in depth regarding events Malala experiences. I have read both with 7th graders, and the "young reader" version was appreciated much more.(less)
Notash Batool definitely it can..Yes it is possible!For a educated and better environment it's not necessary to have a throng of people it can possible like we teac…moredefinitely it can..Yes it is possible!For a educated and better environment it's not necessary to have a throng of people it can possible like we teach a single person and he can further teach others!(less)

·  22,129 ratings  ·  2,732 reviews

Start your review of I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World
Cristina Monica
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
Malala refused to believe girls should be denied an education. Why should girls not be allowed to attend school? It’s their right.

So Malala spoke in favour of educating girls during a time when it was very dangerous to do so. But Malala was not afraid; she was determined.

This is more than a simple memoir. Malala doesn’t just talk about herself—her past, her present and her future. She talks about what is around her; the world that surrounds her, and she points out what is right and what is wrong
Matt
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: audiobook, buddy-read
My journey of biographies has taken me inside the lives of political figures, television personalities, and even those involved in cults and religious sects. This next book shifts focus while retaining the perspective of a girl (and young woman) at the narrative helm. In this piece, young Malala Yousafzai chimes in and offers some of her own opinions growing up and becoming an international advocate for universal primary education for all children. Malala lays a foundation for the reader with a ...more
Sarah Churchill
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not to be confused with the other edition with a very similar name, this is Malala's story 'rewritten for an audience her own age'. Having not read the original I can't really comment on what might have been changed here, though the idea of making any changes for a younger readership has me torn. I mostly disagree with the notion of 'watering down' or in any way omitting information in order to appeal to a younger audience, and in my experience YA readers are: 1. not easily offended or shocked, ...more
Mariah Roze
This was the Young Reads version, but it was still super compelling and informational! Wow! I never really knew the story behind Malala besides she was shot for standing up for women's education, so this was really informational!

I read this for the Goodread's book club Diversity in All Forms!

I recommend this book to everyone and I plan on still reading the adult version of this book.

I bought a classroom set of this book, so I can read it with my students next semester :)
emily
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
"This was my calling. Some powerful force had come to dwell inside me, something bigger and stronger than me and it made me fearless."

Malala redefines the definition of hero and courage. An inspiration to all. She stood up for what she believed in (girl's rights & education) despite all odds - if that doesn't act as encouragement to pursue your dreams and never back down for what you believe is right, then I really don't know what is. The Young Learner's edition was written simply and intellec
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you to Orion for providing me with this book in return for an honest review!
Firstly, I just want to mention that this memoir is the 'younger readers' version of her memoir titled, 'I Am Malala'. I think that older children in schools should definitely be reading this book and talking about it. It will open their eyes not only to the importance of education, but also to different cultures, religions, beliefs, countries and the impact that terrorism can have.
Reading Malala's story was truly
Jana
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a powerful read!
Jessica
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, nonfiction
I admit that I only heard about Malala Yousafzai after she was shot, and I had thought that she was just attacked because she was a girl on her way to or from school. I had no idea until now that she was working, speaking, and writing on behalf of girls' education from the time when she was eleven years old! Her story is truly inspiring, and so is her strong will and clear voice. She is passionate about women's rights, and so brilliant, but it's also wonderful to see how "normal" her life is. Sh ...more
Lui Vega
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I mean, this person is a living saint. You need to read this book.
Abby
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malala Yousafzai is one incredible girl. I don't know a single person who isn't familiar with her. For those who don't recognize the name, she'd the one who was shot by the Taliban in Pakistan for taking a stand for education. I can't even fathom going through the things that she did. Now, for the review of the book. Malala herself gets a 5/5. She has an amazing story that everyone needs to hear. But the book fell through for me. There was lots of history about Pakistan and Islam, which is all g ...more
Robert
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You need to read this book.
Bibliovoracious
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course! It was amazing. It was a revelation to me that she was an activist from a family of change-makers, and she was targeted BECAUSE of her activism. I had somehow absorbed that it was a random attack, but no, they were trying to silence her! EPIC fail.

The book is actually buoyant and fun. It's the story of a teenager, with teenager problems and ambitions that yes, somewhat exceed the usual, but a relatable life, until the event that changed everything.

Her father comes out the real hero of
Mohamed al-Jamri
Who didn't hear about Malala? This is the book she tells her story, well at least the early part of her story for she's just 22 now and is studying politics in Oxford.

The story begins before she's born, explaining the history of her family and country. Then we get to learn about the story of her father and his efforts to establish a school. Malala becomes a part of this project and from a young age the talented student advocates for education of women. The rise of the radical Islamic movement T
Jeanne
In a country where women aren’t allowed out in public without a man, we girls traveled far and wide inside the pages of our books. In a land where many women can’t read the prices in the markets, we did multiplication. In a place where, as soon as we were teenagers, we’d have to cover our heads and hide ourselves from the boys who’d been our childhood playmates, we ran as free as the wind. (p. 34)

When I read Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl in 8th grade, I was deeply moved. I continue to r
Joood Hooligan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I checked the audiobook out from the library, forgetting that I had bought the ebook when it was on sale... because I'm that sort of person. As amused and annoyed as I was with myself when I realized this, I actually ended up getting a better experience with the book this way. Malala speaks at the beginning and end of the book, and there's her UN speech as well. So, the audio version is definitely worth listening to.

It's pretty emotional, hearing about how
Susan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This girl is a real inspiration. Sometimes I forget she was only 11 or 12 or 13 years old as she describes speeches she gave to various organisations long before she was shot. Her parents are also strong people who encouraged her all along and stood up for what they believed was right all the time.

She explains how things changed politically in Pakistan over the years clearly and in a very balanced way. She loves her homeland and would love to go back but sadly as we know the Taliban have strong
Connie
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I did not realize there are two different I Am Malala books and was disappointed that I had not read the adult version by Christina Lamb. However, Kasey, a phD student of literature, analyzed the two books and found this young readers edition to be the better of the two. She says, "Although I think that the Christina Lamb version does give more context to the story, which is important and useful, I think the biggest difference between the two books is that the latter sounds more like the Malala ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Malala was unlucky enough to be born in a country where girls were told they could not attend school. Malala was courageous enough to take a stand against this. Malala was unfortunate enough to be the victim of those who do not want girls to get an education. Malala was fortunate enough to live through the bombing.

We are lucky to have Malala in the world, championing the rights of girls.
Santhi
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Inspiring... This Young Readers Editiion a must read for all school-going children!
Viir
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Malala is a strong woman who, at a very young age, started to campaign for women’s rights and education. I believe her parents played a big part in raising Malala to be humble but standing her ground and questioning her surroundings.

This book not only describes her life till now but also how Pakistan changed with the Taliban, a very interesting read that I highly recommend.
Rissa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am Malala
Everything she loved was taken from her yet she rose up and changed the world as she knew it.
Chelsea
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Malala is an amazing, inspiring young woman, and I have great respect for her and her story.

However, I was really not a fan of the way this was written. It came off very simple and young sounding (which I understand since Malala is very young and not a professional writer), and from the few biographies I have read this was not a favorite.

I read this for school, and we also watched the Malala movie documentary. I feel her story was much better suited to movie format than book.

I am glad I had the
Marissa
Katerina
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
5/5
BOOKSTAGRAM

There are no words with how profoundly this book spoke to me...no sung to me. Ever since I was a little girl education (reading, writing, researching) has been my entire world. Literature captured my heart when I was younger. If I wasn't found inventing silly things, I was found in my room hidden under the covers reading about the outside world. Knowledge was my weapon, learning was my tool. When I was younger, it never occurred to me that girls my age were not allowed to even set
Dinah Moore
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
There are not enough good words to describe Malala. Courageous and phenomenal are the two best adjectives that I can come up with . She’s such an inspiration and we could all learn a thing or two from her.

“So, yes, the Taliban shot me. But they can only shoot my body. They cannot shoot my dreams, they cannot kill my beliefs, and they cannot stop my campaign to see every girl and every boy in school.”
Peeves
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I accidentally picked up the young reader's edition and hence my reading experience was slightly watered down. But i guess that is my fault for not picking up the correct version for my age.

Generally, this book achieves what it initially set out do, which is to directly answer the question of 'Who is Malala?'. It gives us a sufficient inside look into the world of Malala and why is she the Malala we know today.

People who already know who is Malala and what she fights for will be satisfied and e
Ali
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoops. I didn't realize there were two books! I read the Young Adult version, but I'm going to pick up the other version next!
Mackenzie
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't really like non-fiction books but I am Malala kept me wanting to read all day!
Maddie L
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rate this book a four. I enjoyed reading about her past and how much Malala believed it was a right to have education for women. It was so inspirational and powerful to read and I recommend it to everyone!!
Thuong Le
I don't watch the BBC News anymore (when I should do!) I have to excuse myself for being behind on the loop. So the first time I heard about Malala Yousafzai was on Teens React. All I knew from the video was that it was about a girl who got shot by the Taliban for speaking out for girls’ right to an education. She survived the shot and since then has continued her campaign and won many prestigious prizes including the Noble Peace Prize.

This book was absolutely AMAZING. Honestly, I don’t remember
Autobiography 1 4 Oct 23, 2019 09:18PM
Ticket to Read Bo...: I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World 1 4 Dec 28, 2018 10:31PM
I Am Malala 1 3 Nov 30, 2017 11:51AM

• Fish in a Tree
  • Counting by 7s
  • Again, Josefina!
  • Esperanza Rising
  • Myths and Misconceptions: Uncovering the Truth about Napoleon's Height, Lemmings, the Space Pen, the Salem Witch Trials, and Other Things You Thought You Knew
  • Brick Fairy Tales: Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Hansel and Gretel, and More
  • DK Life Stories Albert Einstein
  • Blended
  • Teaching Literature Rhetorically: Transferable Literacy Skills for 21st Century Students
  • Trail of Secrets: Dark Horse, Book One
  • 干物妹!うまるちゃん 7
  • The Pegasus Mythic Collection Books 1-6: The Flame of Olympus; Olympus at War; The New Olympians; Origins of Olympus; Rise of the Titans; The End of Olympus
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate. She is known for human rights advocacy, especially education of women in her native Swat Valley in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, northwest Pakistan, where the local Taliban had at times banned girls from attending school. Her advocacy has since grown into an international movement.