Start by marking “Confessions” as Want to Read:
Confessions

Confessions

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  11,130 ratings  ·  2,309 reviews
HER PUPILS KILLED HER DAUGHTER.
NOW, SHE WILL HAVE HER REVENGE.

After calling off her engagement in wake of a tragic revelation, Yuko Moriguchi had nothing to live for except her only child, four-year-old Manami. Now, following an accident on the grounds of the middle school where she teaches, Yuko has given up and tendered her resignation.

But first she has one last lectur
Paperback, First English language edition, 235 pages
Published August 19th 2014 by Mulholland Books (first published August 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions, please sign up.

·  11,130 ratings  ·  2,309 reviews

Start your review of Confessions
karen
this book is delivered in a stark and barebones prose, but the story itself is surprisingly convoluted and intricate.

the first chapter is told in the form of a lecture as a teacher addresses her class with what appears to be a series of anecdotal non sequiturs about the new milk program at school, the announcement of her impending retirement, the illness of a "famous" teacher at another school, the recent death of her four-year-old daughter manami, etc etc. but slowly, subtly, her lecture become
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was FUCKED. Oh my GOD. I read a fair amount of dark and twisty things, but this went above and beyond anything I've ever read before. I audibly gasped twice while reading it. Jfc I'm honestly still too shook to write a coherent review so in short: this book was fucked the fuck up read at your own risk

TW: murder, animal cruelty, depression
Matt
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, buddy-read
Needing a quick book to fill my time before ending a holiday, I turned to Kanae Minato’s debut thriller that spins a murderous tale from many perspectives. Yuko Moriguchi has chosen to retire from teaching after her young daughter drowned in a pool. As a single mother, the death hit hard and Moriguchi faces her students one final time to deliver an end of year lecture. During this final address, she admits that the death of her daughter was no accident and that two students are responsible, choo ...more
Carol
Brilliantly constructed, but pointless. I'm disappointed given the volume of buzz and strong recommendations for this novel. Still, Confessions is original and offers a sterling and surprising ending.
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook, faves, z2017
4.5 Stars.

THIS BOOK! This is a book I would recommend to everyone! The twists and the turns were incredible. Nearly every twist and turn knocked me off my feet and that is SO rare as I predict so many twists in thrillers and mystery books. This book should really have the success of books like Gone Girl & The Girl on the Train because it's just so awesome! I'm not going to say anything to give the story itself away because I don't want to ruin it.

Story - 4.5 Stars.
Writing - 4 Stars.
Execution
Dem
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dem by: Lisa
Shelves: favorites

Her pupils murdered her daughter, she will have her revenge.........................

That was as much as I need to know about this novel in order for it to engage my interest.

Firstly I would never have come across this book if it wasn't for a friend here on Good reads who's review encouraged me to read this wonderful novel.

I really enjoyed this story of revenge by Japanese writer Kanae Minato and found myself intrigued by the happenings in this Japanese school.
I listened to this book and the
Jokoloyo
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novel is an unreliable multiple first person POV epistolary thriller debut novel(view spoiler). The theme of the book is REVENGE.

Lately I have been reading mystery/thriller by Japanese authors. These stories have dark tragic plots and voices, I stopped expecting truly happy-ending. The Confessions is one of those novels, and with relatively shorter length than previous Japanese thrillers that I've read, this novel keep
Apoorva
‘Confessions’ revolves around the revenge plot contrived by a middle school teacher Yuko Moriguchi. Her four-year daughter Manami accidentally dies on the school grounds but on further investigation, she learns it wasn’t an accident. Heartbroken, she decides to resign but during her last lecture to the class, she reveals the truth about the incident and sets in motion a plan to avenge her daughter. The story showcases the lives of the people in the aftermath of her confession.

‘Confessions’ is on
Susan
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book by accident, when I read a review on Goodreads. It intrigued me enough to download it and I was immediately hooked. The novel begins with a teacher telling her students that she is resigning from middle school. A single mother to a four year old daughter, her students believe she is leaving because of a terrible tragedy, which saw her little girl found dead in the school pool. However, in a speech at the end of term, the teacher relates the story of what happened that day ...more
Crumb
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dark, Gritty, & 1000% Disturbing...
And what does this mean to me?
Perfection
Michelle
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, bought-own
This was my first foray into Japanese fiction and it will not be last. I am now in LOVE with Japanese crime fiction and mysteries and I keep adding more to my bookshelves.

I. Could. Not. Put. This. Book. Down.

It is so perfect in every way. For me, I think this is one of the most brilliant mysteries I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It's incredibly intricate where the layers get peeled back slowly until you reach the mind blowing ending.

Highest Recommendation!
Diane S ☔
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several of my Good read friends have read this, they rated it highly and their reviews were so enticing that I had to read this sooner, rather than later. So glad I did, this book was brilliant.

Reminds me of the line, " the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." That may not be exact but close enough to what I want to convey.
We hear from each of the main players in the tragedy, and each time something new is revealed. Also, shows the immature mind of middle schoolers, how they think and
Barbara
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge

Yuko Moriguchi, a middle-school teacher in Japan, tells her class that she's resigning from her job. Moriguchi goes on to say her decision is related to the recent death of her four-year-old daughter, Manami, who drowned in a nearby swimming pool.

Authorities consider the death an accident but Moriguchi tells a long story that details how two students in the class (whom she calls 'A' and 'B') murdered Manami....and she describes the revenge she's set in motion.

After spring break one o
Rohit Enghakat
A fabulous thriller. I came across this book on Goodreads when I read someone's review. I had read Keigo Higashino's "Devotion of Suspect X". From then on I was hooked to Japanese thrillers which are so underrated as compared to English and American ones.

This is about two students who kill their teacher's daughter and how the teacher exacts revenge on her pupils. With lots of twists in the book, the narrative turns addictive and unpredictable. All the characters are dark and evil. What sets the
Lisa
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Talk about twists!

This book has 'LISA' written all over it: super Japanese and out-there, and every little detail fits together to make a complete picture that only becomes clear at the very end. Each chapter is told by a different character. They basically re-tell the story up that point, and add their own experience while furthering the tale. But each account is different and important, and each one helps the reader to see things from a whole new angle. The story builds and builds and builds..
Lisa
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature-v-nurture
This is the story of the death of a 4 year old girl that was not an accident.

photo Confessions1_zps98022c69.jpg

It follows the repercussions / revenge of all the major characters involved and everyone gets their say via various mediums inc. lecture, letter, diary, confession, will...

I LOVED the style of writing, the way the various pieces of the puzzle came together to complete the picture was superbly executed.

The tone is dark and there are many, many questions and what ifs...this book is complex but totally satisfying - hig
Katie
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
After hearing from others in the Year of Horror Book Club who also recently read this, I do wish I had listened to this as an audiobook. Although I was fascinated by the story I struggled because of the writing style. Possibly down the road I will listen to this to give it another shot.
Trudi

If the plethora of J-horror coming out of Japan the last 15 years hasn't convinced you of the country's own unique brand of crazy pants in the best, most entertaining way, then this book will. And there's a movie! Which I now have to hunt down.

Because crazy pants, did I mention? So much crazy pants.

This isn't horror, but it is really messed up. It's a revenge tale about screwed up, damaged narrators who each get to tell a piece of the story, so you won't have all the pieces of the puzzle until
Kaora
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I do not want to be a saint.

Confessions is a dark and twisted tale of revenge. When Yuko Moriguchi's four year old daughter, Manami is found dead on the school grounds where she works she weaves a final tale for her class about the real events of that day, concluding with the revealing of her revenge against the wrongdoers who are some of her students. But this is just the beginning.

The book takes the point of view of Yuko, those involved and some of their friends/family as it weaves a plot so f
Carol
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-audible, japanese
I enjoy Japanese mysteries. They are mostly puzzles to solve. This one was an ingenious revenge novel full of unlikable characters, twisted familial relationships and a bang-up surprise ending.
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really interesting!! It reminded me of just some really good straight-up story telling. Each of the 6 parts were equally mesmerizing- a different person telling their experience of their part in the situation. I think it was a huge advantage to not know who you were gonna hear from, so try to go in blind if possible. (Each time i realized who it was narrating the next part, it was intense.) Now I'm not sure if the "lack of fluff" was the way it was written, or a bit of a translation thi ...more
Dianne
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2017
Good revenge novel told from different characters' perspectives. I had a feeling I knew who would have the ultimate revenge, I just wasn't sure how exactly it would be enacted.

The narration style is very matter-of-fact, with an almost offhand and unemotional tone. If you read and enjoyed this, I recommend Minato's "Penance" to you.
Asghar Abbas
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Asghar by: Rohisa

Vincent McMorrow's Wicked Games done with, it's over I know you didn't want it to be finished but it's done. Button pressed, Thrice's Black Honey playing in the background; swelling up nicely filling the space that's far from empty, we good? One now, one later? Sure. How can I ever say no to the lovely talented ladies over at Warpaint? Future concert tickets already dealt with, all ready to go.

After Ring by Kōji Suzuki, I did want to read another twisted full of wynds and turns, something truly
Divine Anas
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Japanese crime fiction fans
As Alain de Botton once said:
"We are, all of us, beautifully crazy or, to put it in gentler terms, fascinatingly unbalanced. Our childhoods, even the apparently benign ones, leave us no option but to be anything else...There is always a logic and there is always a history.

We can tell that our imbalances date from the past because they reflect the way of thinking and instincts of the children we once were. Without anything pejorative being meant by this, our way of being unbalanced tends
Mary  Carrasco
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confessions was a strange, dark tale that drew me in rather quickly. It was disturbing but I was intrigued enough throughout. The characters elicited sympathy even though at times, I found them repulsive too. There were times when the story felt slightly redundant due to the same events being described in alternating points of view but the ending more than made up for that. Four stars for a unique plot and some "whoa!" moments.
Kate
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25/5stars

This book was fuckeddddd up but like.. quietly fucked up
Alice Lippart
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark, twisted and fascinating.
❄️Nani❄️
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great psychological revenge tale.
Kristy K
3.5 Stars

This was a unique and interesting novel, sort of a psychological thriller but really more of an introspective book about a mother who seeks revenge on two of her students who killed her daughter. Told from 5 different perspectives, it looks at the actual event and the aftermath.
Confessions is a standalone novel written by author Kanae Minato. I had never heard of this novel before seeing the audiobook available as a "new release" at my local library. But apparently it was published in Japan in 2008, and is a widely popular and successful novel. It has already been adapted to film and was selected as Japan's entry for best foreign language film for the 2010 Oscars.

Confessions is an intelligent but horrific tale of revenge. A teacher's revenge on her students; two stude

• Memory of Glass
  • 屍人荘の殺人
  • Dua Dini Hari
  • The Devotion of Suspect X (Detective Galileo, #1)
  • Bone
  • Naoko
  • Belenggu Ilse
  • Goth
  • Salvation of a Saint (Detective Galileo, #2)
  • Malice (Detective Kaga, #1)
  • 手紙
  • I Want to Die But I Want to Eat Tteokpokki
  • Girls in the Dark
  • 十一字殺人
  • Journey Under the Midnight Sun
  • Đứa Trẻ Hư
  • Giselle
  • 綁架遊戲
Kanae MINATO (湊 かなえ, born 1973) is a Japanese writer of crime fiction and thriller.

She started writing in her thirties. Her first novel Confessions (告白, Kokuhaku) became a bestseller and won the Japanese Booksellers Award. The movie Confession directed by Tetsuya Nakashima was nominated to 2011 Academy Award.

She has been described in Japan as "the queen of iyamisu"(eww mystery), a subgenre of myst