Start by marking “The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story” as Want to Read:
The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story

The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story

Ed is having a hard time - at work, in his love life and, well, generally. Then he meets an unlikely Buddhist - who drinks and smokes and talks his kind of language. Bit by bit, things begin to change...

Ed doesn't always take Geoff's advice. Or, when he does he lapses at the crucial moment. His path to understanding is not a straight one, especially as life keeps throwing
Paperback
Published July 7th 2005 by Rider (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Buddha, Geoff and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buddha, Geoff and Me

Janina Walters
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is based on the author's friendship with and introduction to Buddhism by my father. It was interesting to read the factionalized perspective of someone unrelated to him.
Mitch S
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to me by a friend, I recommend to anyone that has a passing interest in Buddhism. The story is about a troubled man who meets a selfless fellow, Geoff. Geoff turns his life around, and become eds anchor. The casual approach to Buddhism makes this book readable to anyone. The first half I was reluctant to keep reading, but when the protagonist starts coming around to the teachings, you start coming around to the story.
Ammonite
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Excellent layman's introduction to Buddhism from a personal point of view. Autobiographical account of a friendship and how this drew the author into examining and chaanging his life.
Shauna
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a therapist, I just really want to applaud this book. I think all therapists should read it, for a gentle Buddhist understanding. It has influenced my practice in the most curious ways. My clients have found deeper insights, we’ve had sparkler conversations... I’m not sure what’s happened... but it feels positive.

As a personal reader, I really warmed to Geoff and at one point found myself sitting in Ed’s shoes after a minor revelation gets the audience to question how they feel. I won’t spoi
Sal Coraccio
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Buddha, Geoff and Me is, as one might expect, a lightly disguised Buddhist primer of sorts. The story the teachings ride on is compelling enough, likely based on real events (the author's) and generates sympathy for the main character, Ed. It isn't high art, but it is touching and there's enough educational content and a satisfying arc to make it worth your while.

What it did for me personally is introduce me to another perspective on Buddhism - a more approachable side; less... pretentious(
Lupurk
Il classico libro giusto al momento giusto. Ricevuto in prestito da un'amica, l'ho lasciato da parte per mesi, perché presa da altre letture o perché poco attirata. Poi, qualche giorno fa, ho deciso di prenderlo in mano e di dargli una possibilità. Appena ho letto le prime righe della quarta di copertina ho capito che il libro stava parlando proprio con me, che in qualche modo mi aveva chiamato...e l'ho divorato, assaporandone ogni frase e ogni attimo, senza riuscire a staccarmene. Non so se in ...more
Sabina Biasuzzo
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anche senza essere buddisti certi insegnamenti di questo piccolo grande libro fanno molto riflettere. Mi ha lasciato una bellissima sensazione, di pace, di serenità. Lo consiglio, specie in momenti di down.
Ymfoo1
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An interesting 'novel' about life. About strengths, weaknesses and believes.. about ego-less, about compassion, about Buddhism.
Christiane
Just loved this book! It gives you a true view of Buddism in a daily life. I did not agree with all their thoughts but nevertheless I was able to pick up some easy hints for a daily life practise!
Sheila Heard
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book so many times. A relevant guide to tackling what life throws at you, using a story of believable people. It's become a kind of comforter that I keep by my bed!
Nixi Nicks
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been reading this book for years, read chapters over and over, and finally today I finished it for the first time. The reason that this took me so long to read, I believe, is because there is a lesson to be learned every other page, it seems. I have several practicing Buddhists in my family, so I was familiar with the concept going in, but the way the lessons and sort of “intro to Buddhism” readings are intertwined in this story is quite amazing. I came to know each character, and familiari ...more
Leah Dontknowmyname
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so different to what I normally read, but it was a real delight. I am intrigued to uncover more about Buddhism and how to use it in everyday life.
Nicky Alan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A laymen’s terms story delivering universal wisdom in a light and humorous way.
Jayant
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book will transform your view about life. It’s more than a story in a book, the journey this book takes you on through its characters is just unthinkable. Just read it you’ll LOVE IT
Yukino
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
E' carino e divertente e sulle vicende del nostro eroe vengono spiegate le basi del buddhismo.
Il protagonista viene lasciato dalla ragazza e perde il lavoro..da qui in poi ne succedono di ogni.Lui è depresso, non riesce a trovare lavoro e un senso alla sua vita. Un giorno incontra geoff in un bar che cerca di tirargli su il morale..con pillole e saggezza buddista. Diventano amici e piano piano da semplici consigli diventa teoria buddista.

Devo dire che l'ho trovato interessante anche se è ripeti
Yukino
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, miei
è carino e divertente e sulle vicende del nostro eroe vengono spiegate le basi del buddismo.

Devo dire che l'ho trovato interessante anche se è ripetiti
Linda
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I found this book witty and intelligent. I understood the characters and felt their highs and lows. It is a good book to read if you have ever wondered about faith, in this book it is Buddhism, but it gave me a general understanding that faith is hard and not like I always thought you either have it or you don't. This book explains you need to work at it and it wont always be easy, but it isn't a sermon or a preaching. It is a story of a guy having a hard time in life, looking for some explanati ...more
Steve H
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ed is living in the London area just after the dot.com bust. His girlfriend has broken up with him, and he hates his job. In short, things aren't going well. While at a pub he runs into Geoff, an unusually calm, friendly, and helpful guy. Through his talks with Geoff and a number of Geoff's friends, Ed winds up learning the basic precepts of modern-day, practical Buddhism.

This is a thoughtful book that makes me think of all the Christian inspirational books where a non-believer ends up learning
Michel Franzoso
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A livello letterario non sarà certamente un capolavoro, ma quello che vuole dire Canfor-Dumas lo dice in maniera semplice e diretta, e va dritto là dove fa più male.

Perché, come più volte dice nel romanzo, si tratta di considerazioni sotto gli occhi di tutti ma che molti ci sforziamo di non vedere: perché ogni cambiamento e ogni possibilità partono da noi, e nulla è più evidente di questo.

E dopo averlo letto forse non sarò diventato Buddista, sperò però di essere diventato un po' più saggio.
Jim
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
My wife enjoyed this, although she felt the first half was very slow to get moving. To me it was written a bit like a bad TV sitcom with lots of dialogue that seemed to go nowhere in particular, or if it went somewhere it went there at snail's pace. All in all it was a thinly veiled lecture on the benefits of Sōka Gakka Buddhism. The author seems to have forgotten the first rule of novel writing - "show me, don't tell me".
Kakul
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I practice Buddhism which is to say that I approached the book with a certain perspective. What was thrilling and beautiful about it though, was how simply and effectively the narrative flowed. The story is based on insights and questions we've all had when we first hear about this life philosophy. To the books credit it doesn't pander, patronize or in anyway preach. Props to Edward, brilliantly done
Jessica
Aug 09, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone slightly interested in Buddhism
In the same vein as Ishmael (Quinn), a cynical man learns a lot from an unexpected source (a real person this time). There's not much in the way of plot, but I still thought it was a very interesting book.

Ed is having a hard time in life and meets Geoff, who begins to teach him about Buddhism. At first Ed is very cynical and has many questions, but then he becomes more and more interested.

I learned a lot, too.
Geoff
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was bought this book as a gift from a very good friend & have thoroughly enjoyed reading it & will reread pretty much straight away.

A very ease read & I was able to relate to the "me" character throughout the book. It has opened my eyes to further investigations to Buddhism. I am now applying the Goal setting to my own personal goals & they now seem less daunting.

Thoroughly recommend to all inquisitive minds.
Carmen Rotaru
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The book presents the reader practicality of buddhism in real life, how we could implement principles of enlightment in difficult situations and not losing hope. Though, I found the storry is dragging and doesn't captivate your attention through out the end.
You can find good ideas and put them in practice.
Ma. Lalaine
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It teaches the philosophy of Buddhism. You will learn how to be a monk in a modern society. For starters, Geoff cleans the window of the towering buildings as a living. He is happily contented and appreciates the natural way of life. I pretty much forgot the twist and turn of the plot. Nevertheless, I remember feeling elated after reading this in a bookstore six years ago.
Steve H
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ed is having some problems in life. His girlfriend has left him. He hates his job. He's not sure where he's headed. Then he meets this odd guy named Geoff at a bar and starts to learn life lessons from a Buddhist perspective. It's an easy way to digest a lot of the basics of Buddhism through a pleasant and entertaining story. The narration is good, too.
Martina
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
linguaggio semplice, una romanzo facile da leggere e interessante, spiega lo scenario buddista della soka gakkai moderno e ci mette un po' di sentimenti. perché tutti di fronte al cambiamento rimaniamo scettici, ma se ci lasciamo andare si trovano le cose migliori :)
Kita
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - taking the journey with the narrator on his path to enlightenment. The ending when he hooked up with the lady was a little off for me... they could have just remained close friends buuuut other than that. I keep it on my shelf for a once in a while re-read.
Sule
Jan 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Libro noioso e ripetitivo, assolutamente non consigliato. Si propone di spiegare ed insegnare alcuni concetti del Buddismo, ma le situazioni ed i fatti descritti al fine di farlo sono alquanto piatti e mediocri. A mio avviso rendono banale il tutto.
Heather
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actually, I listened to the podcasts. (Abuddhistpodcast.com) The reader is awesome!
This is an excellent introduction to Buddhist concepts and how they apply to real life, from the perspective of a person who makes it quite clear he does not want to hear about anything religious.
  • Faith Into Action: Thoughts on Selected Topics
  • Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion
  • The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
  • The Buddha In Daily Life: An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • Return to Tibet
  • The Story of Tibet: Conversations with the Dalai Lama
  • I diari delle streghe (#1-4)
  • The Reluctant Buddhist
  • Life's Too F***Ing Short: A Guide to Getting What You Want Out of Life Without Wasting Time, Effort or Money
  • Gli incubi di Hazel
  • Why I Am a Buddhist: No-Nonsense Buddhism with Red Meat and Whiskey
  • Wonders of a Godless World
  • Bumping Into Geniuses: My Life Inside the Rock and Roll Business
  • Mindfulness for Dummies
  • The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)
  • Tibet, Tibet: A Personal History of a Lost Land