Start by marking “Safe Passage” as Want to Read:
Safe Passage

Safe Passage

While doing renovation on the old New Orleans home inherited from her great aunt, Jules discovers an old safe filled with letters written in French—and code. Enlisting the aid of a local French teacher, the beautiful Gen, Jules slowly begins to learn the truth of her great grandfather's death …
28,000 words
Published February 5th 2014 by Less Than Three Press (first published February 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Safe Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe Passage

Start your review of Safe Passage
Book Worm
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the sweet and very every day build-up of the love story. The accompanying mystery about the letters kept me reading. A very enjoyable read for a rainy afternoon.
ttg
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Safe Passage is a delightful lesbian romance novella set in contemporary New Orleans, and follows Jules, former rowing Olympiad who is currently teaching high school math. This school setting is a perfect set-up since she discovers an old safe in the house she inherited from her aunt, and inside there some old letters in French. From that surprise mystery, it gives her a splendid opportunity to talk with Gen, the hot toddy of a French teacher at her school, and Gen is just as interested in findi ...more
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I loved the narration. The chemistry between the two mains was a nice slow burn. I hope the author takes this story further.
Miranda
A very cute and touching tale, though I think the editing needed to be a bit tighter. There was a lot of dialogue and the writing was very 'loose' -- perhaps that doesn't make sense, but that's what it brought me to mind.

I did love the relationship between Gen and Jules, though, and I was appropriately intrigued about the mystery surrounding her relative. I felt at times it did fall to the wayside in favour of needless details and scenes.

But as I said, I really did enjoy the relationship betwe
Amy
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
I loved this book. I listened to the audio version. Owen has a deft touch with dialogue and banter that made this story so delightful that I listened to it again within two weeks. E. V. Grove was excellent as the narrator; her accent added to the story instead of detracting or distracting, and I can't even imagine this story without her voice in my head now. The mystery that brings our two Louisiana belles together is interesting and keeps you wanting to know what happened to Jules' aunt. And at ...more
Lexxi Kitty
A simple quick book about more New Orleans lesbians (New Orleans be popular). This is the second book I've read by this author, other book I gave 5 stars to, this one I give 3.75(something).

A woman wants to make a larger closet for her clothing so, despite being somewhat clumsy and notoriously bad with tools, Jules starts (very carefully) slamming a sledgehammer into her closet wall. She does this despite the fact that her house has like, three or four entire spare guest rooms that she could con
CLo
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very quick, very enjoyable read. Do I wish it was longer...Definitely. But, what can you do, it's not. Regardless, this was a really nice read. The pace was well set and the characters, though not done in great depth due to the shortness of it, were likable and well done. Many of the issues one might have with this story is due to the length. Honestly, I would have loved this to be flushed out more into a full length story with a better, maybe longer burn between the two main characte ...more
Agirlcandream
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet romance built into an entertaining short story. Loved the soft butch Jules in all her clumsy nerdiness and defective gaydar. Genevieve is sweet and endearing and oh so tolerant of Jules as she attempts to woo the lady. Witty banter and enough secondary characters (and puppies) to flesh out the storyline. The mystery is downplayed but a good vehicle to bring the couple together. Ending is abrupt but satisfying.
Eli
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2015, queer
A sweet story with a mystery to solve, two hilarious "hot for teacher" minor characters, and some very nice sex.

(view spoiler)
Acquafortis
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book. Kate Owen knows well how to weave a story that captivates the reader's attention from the very start.
A narrative which we live through the main character, Julianna Delacroix, by being witness to a endearing story straddling two different time periods with a common denominator. An ancestor's murder that paves the way to a family secret and an untold love tragically cut short.
The account is ably sprinkled with enrapturing details sure to elate your curiosity, luscious roma
Anna
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts, lesbian, romance
Very sweet and charming--romance with a little mystery. I would be happy to read more with these characters.
Heather Bennett
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful romantic story. The story grabs you from the start and takes you on a emotional journey. There is a little mystery mixed with romance. I hope to read more from this author.
Jessie Entwistle
Love and Intrigue

I read this book looking for a cute little love story and I got just what I expected. I just wish it was longer.
Jenn
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the characters and their story but thought the book could have used more editing. I also felt the "heat" between the characters died a little after they slept together.
Kriss Migliaccio

• Doktor Wassers Rezept
  • Le Beatrici
  • Os Papas e o Sexo
  • The Past is a Foreign Country
  • The Bone Farm (Jane Hawk, #0.5)
  • Jag heter inte Miriam
  • 1 Litre of Tears
  • Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Harry Bosch, #14.6; Harry Bosch Universe, #21.1)
  • To the Lighthouse
  • Tender is the Night
  • Allt jag inte minns
  • Il Decano
  • The Do-Over
  • No Strings Attached (The Pink Bean, #1)
Kate Owen, writer and chai tea addict, was born and raised in the Lone Star state (but has only ridden a horse once with disastrous results). She’s lived all over the US and even spent some time studying in Italy, but she came back to settle down in Dallas a few years ago. Kate has been writing since she was a kid, and has always enjoyed telling stories to entertain anyone she can coerce into list ...more