Start by marking “Dante's Purgatorio; Adapted by Marcus Sanders” as Want to Read:
Dante's Purgatorio; Adapted by Marcus Sanders

Dante's Purgatorio; Adapted by Marcus Sanders

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Following the acclaim for their innovative edition of "Dante's Inferno," Sandow Birk and Marcus Sanders guide us to the next level of the afterlife in "Dante's Purgatorio". The second book of Dante Alighieri's classic poem "The Divine Comedy," this version of "Purgatorio" couples a clever literary adaptation incorporating modern urban speech and contemporary references wit ...more
Published May 5th 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Dante's Purgatorio; Adapted by Marcus Sanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dante's Purgatorio; Adapted by Marcus Sanders

Ben De Bono
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Note: This is not a review of Dante's Purgatorio, which would easily get 5 stars, but of the Marcus Sanders/Sandow Birk paraphrase of Dante.

As with the Birk/Sanders adaptation of Inferno, their take on Purgatorio is interesting but problematic in places. Most of the same praises and criticisms I had for their version of Inferno apply here: placing the Divine Comedy in a modern Los Angeles is amusing, yet there are times where their understanding of Dante is woefully inadequate.

The biggest offe
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this. I did. The premise is an exciting one (Purgatory set in modern-day San Fran, w/ a strip club called Garden of Eden), but this book was a miss for me because the adaptation just feels so slapdash. I didn't need it to be faithful to traditional translations, but there are certain moments in here -- like a reference to Eminem -- that make this a Purgatorio dated one. And why altogether throw out so many of the gorgeous descriptions you'd find in, say, the Sayers (e.g. "hell w ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the Sanders translation of Dante (though compilation and interpretation may be a better term to use). The illustrations of Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York (standing in for a contemporary Heaven, Hell and Purgatory) with their homage to Dore's illustrations of the Divine Comedy act as a perfect foil to the use of street language and surfer talk running through the books. I believe these "translations and illustrations deserve to become a modern classic!
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-fail-20
The premise of this adaption is an amusing one but the actual product is dreadful after a few Cantos. It may be readable for readers who have not yet read a standard translation of Dante, but not acceptable if one already has. This belongs to the same categories of work such as "plains-peaking Shakespeare"
J. Argyl
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves inventive reimaginings of classic works
Although the illustrations were just as brilliant the translation again left a lot to be desired. After completely this volume I have been trying to get up the energy to read through the final volume for over six months.
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, poetry, imagetext
The review for this book is about the same as Birk's Inferno. Some of the analogies and visuals are really effective, amazing even. But the dialog is so stilted and artificial that it can be really hard to grind through certain pages.
Robert Devine
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good adaptation, for both the illustrations and the contemporary spin.
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I'm in the process of reading this one. Marcus Sanders translated Dante's trilogy in plain English. Unlike the original, which I had to read in Highschool, this is a fun read.
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
The drawings I'd give a 5. The text, well, I guess I just wasn't up for Dante, adapted or otherwise.
Crystal Brown