Start by marking “The Cellar (The Cellar #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cellar (The Cellar #1)

The Cellar (The Cellar #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  15,505 Ratings  ·  1,883 Reviews
Nothing ever happens in the town of Long Thorpe – that is, until sixteen-year-old Summer Robinson disappears without a trace. No family or police investigation can track her down. Spending months inside the cellar of her kidnapper with several other girls, Summer learns of Colin’s abusive past, and his thoughts of his victims being his family…his perfect, pure flowers. But ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Cellar, please sign up.

Abbie Laxson Yes,there is a sequel.
It is a short 16 chapter story called "You'll Always Be Mine"
If you want to read it it's here:
…more
Yes,there is a sequel.
It is a short 16 chapter story called "You'll Always Be Mine"
If you want to read it it's here:
Rebecca
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Julie
Jul 30, 2014 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Good Evening, Flowers.

And welcome to my review. It will grab you... drag you.... throw you into a very non-cliche white van... rename you.... and turn you into my flower mwahaha! But don't you dare pollenate, because pollenating is for sluts.

He's a maaaaaniac, maaaaniac!

*dramatic pause*

Let me begin by saying that I am quite possibly the biggest crime show freak to ever exist in this world. When I'm not watching Ina Garten, you will find me cuddled under the blankets watching a Criminal Minds ma
Wendy Darling
So, so, so, so bad.

ETA: apparently Booklist recommended this to fans of LIVING DEAD GIRL? Oh hell no. That book was fantastic, and this one makes a mockery of the subject matter.

This is a ridiculous sham of a thriller (pervert bad! He has mommy issues! He must kill! He must keep all the pretty flowers/girls in his basement!) and has neither the intellectual nor the emotional capacity to explore the psychology of captor or captive, let alone make you feel anything for either. And the writing is
Evie
Almost as disturbing and heartbreaking as Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, The Cellar tells a story of kidnapping, abuse, murder and mental illness. A gut-wrenching and emotionally affecting story of desperation and fear, but also hope and survival. It's a well-written, completely absorbing nail-biter of a book, and I'm really glad I decided to pick it up!

Told in three alternating voices, The Cellar kicks-off with the kidnapping of 16-year-old Summer Robinson. Taken by a stranger, forced to
Sassy Spratt
Jan 29, 2014 Sassy Spratt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever been so engrossed in a book, so terrified by the words you were reading that you couldn't put it down, no matter how many feelings you were being hit with? The Cellar has me feeling just like this throughout the entire freaking book! I almost feel guilty saying I enjoyed this book, as it left me feeling so emotionally wrong. After the last page commenced I just sat there, staring off into space lost in my thoughts. The story the Preston composed has me feeling the entire rainbow of ...more
Paige
Aug 12, 2015 Paige rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I really need to get this out, so I just will.

WARNING-I WILL BE COMPLETELY DESTROYING AND TEARING APART THIS BOOK. PLEASE DON'T THINK I AM INSULTING YOU IF I SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE.

Alrighty, shall we begin?

We are introduced to Summer (AKA a 16 year old girl who cries nonstop, is completely incapable of thinking logically and is very very very annoying).
To say the least I found Summer to be a very weak character. These are things she did throughout the novel.

1.cry
2.cry again
3.cry even th
Blair
I read this book in wattpad a few times ago....Yeah,and it sucked.
It still does.I thought to give it a chance again ,but :

I got disappointed.....again !!

P.s:The cover is cool !!
Emily Whelchel
What I Liked
The best part about The Cellar is its potential. The premise is fascinating and the reason I picked up the book to read in the first place. Four pretty girls held captive in a basement, named after flowers. The thrill of a kidnapping and hopeful escape.

What I Didn't Like
The writing in this book simply isn't up to par. There is almost no descriptive language. At the end of The Cellar, I sat and stared at the last page, thinking, "What did Poppy even look like? For that matter, what d

This was an okay story, but the main character came across as stupid at times.

Summer was not a very bright girl in this story. She was told repeatedly to accept a lift, to not walk alone at night, and to be careful, and she totally ignored everyone. It was like she was asking to be abducted. When she was then kidnapped, she asked totally stupid questions about things, when it was obvious what the answer was! It seemed to take way too long for her to get a clue! (view spoiler)
Kristin
Aug 12, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
I really liked this book and I wanted to give it at least four stars but there were a few things I couldn't get over...

Am I the only one that found it confusing and weird that physical descriptions weren't given? It barely touched on who was who and briefly went over what their hair color was, even the main character had limited description. It was harder to imagine and connect with these characters and sometimes I got them all confused because I had no face to stick with a name.

Why would he st
paula
Her name is Summer. She’s fifteen and in love with her boyfriend Lewis and annoyed by her brother and doesn’t like scary movies. But the man who abducts her from the park near her house calls her Lily, and when he locks her in the basement apartment below his house, the three other young women who are already there - Poppy, Rose, and Violet - call her Lily too.

Life in the cellar is a grotesque parody of domestic life. Their captor, who calls himself Clover, is pleasant and attentive, compliment
Elise (The Bookish Actress)
I have essentially nothing to say. The Cellar is basically a boring romance disguised as a thriller. Lewis was a boring romantic interest. The writing lacks emotional depth, making it seem boring and annoying. The plot is driven by character stupidity and not much else. The emotions feel incredibly forced.

One more note: I hate the way rape is used as a plot device for a terrible romance. Summer's kidnapper rapes her, and it's not... analyzed in any way. It's just used to make circumstances more
Loyda
Sep 01, 2015 Loyda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Loyda by: Joi Kratz
Shelves: rec
~~~~~BLURB~~~~~

When sixteen-year-old Summer Robinson goes missing one night, her family, friends and boyfriend are devastated. Nothing ever happens in Long Thorpe, so the disappearance of a school girl shocks the whole community. The police waste no time in launching a search and investigation, but with nothing to go on and no trace of Summer, hopes of finding her quickly fade.

Colin Brown, is a thirty-year-old solicitor living alone after the death of his mother. He suffered a traumatic and abus
norcalgal
Jul 12, 2015 norcalgal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading the tense psychological thriller that I thought was "The Cellar". Instead, this was a subpar books filled with too many things to be believed.

First, there was no valid reason offered by the author (via her characters) as to why the girls - two, or three, or all four could not team up to overpower Colin (Clover) and rescue themselves. A few times, a character would just tell Summer (aka Lily) people have tried to escape but fail, with tragic consequences. O
Kazy
Aug 21, 2016 Kazy rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

(Shrugging shoulders)... I couldn't really get into this story. The feels just weren't there for me. Mostly, I kept reading to find out if or when the 4 girls escaped the psycho. I didn't feel the rage I would usually feel about the kidnapper, I just felt he was crazy and weird. Summer, or Lily, didn't invoke much in me. I felt bad for her, but not much beyond that. My favorite character was Summer's boyfriend, Lewis, because he would not stop hoping she was still alive and he went out
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Feb 09, 2015 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it it was amazing
I saw this at a store. The title caught my eye and of course the story as well. I was hooked right from the first couple of pages. I like that the story gets going right away. I mean I do like a story slowly building up but also like that the story picks up right away.

Anyway, second book, next to You, that I read that had a stalker and books it seems. And I heard nothing about this one.

This was a tense, page turning read. The writing was good, though at times, I was wondering who was who. We do
Tori
Jan 27, 2014 Tori rated it really liked it
Check out YA Book QUeens for more reviews!

NOTE: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I remember this book when it was on Wattpad. I have to admit that I never read it, but my friend did, and she said that it was scary as hell and that I shouldn't read it in the dark at night time. Because of this, I expected something way more scary than what I got. Yes, The Cellar is creepy on many levels, but it wasn't downright scary. It didn't
Trisha
Mar 31, 2017 Trisha rated it liked it
“They were as pure as flowers.”

This was a true horror story - the story of Summer's late night abduction and her storage in a house with 3 other women. They try to survive and hide around the man who's held them. He names them flowers, demanding they shake off who they were and become who they wants them to be.

Rose, Poppy, Violet and......now Lily.

But Lily is younger than the others and her nationwide manhunt is pushing their captor to the brink. But if he can't hold it together, will they die
Fleurine
Jan 09, 2017 Fleurine rated it really liked it
Ik kan niet beschrijven wat ik van dit boek vond zonder te walgen over alles wat er in voorkwam. Maar het was sterk, verschrikkelijk en gestoord. Ik werd er bang van en dit verhaal onthoud ik nog erg lang...
Heaven
Jan 18, 2017 Heaven rated it it was ok
Amanda
Sep 22, 2014 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cheesy, ("good evening, flowers"), drawn out and boring. Yes, that's right, I said boring. How an author could take such a terrifying plot idea and make it lame is beyond me. In fact it's actually kind of impressive in its own way...

There was way too much back story, most of which i skipped right over, all of which I didn't care about or feel it necessary. It was semi-interesting to learn more about Clover/Colins past but even then I felt it was skimmed over and not elaborated on enough.

(view sp
Gabby
I have mixed feelings when it comes to this book. There are things I liked about it and things that I didn't. I've been wanting to read this book for months now, and I finally picked it up today and started reading it and I couldn't put it down until I finished it. So yes, this book is good enough to keep you entertained for a few hours, and gripping enough that I couldn't put it down, so there's a positive.

Summer is a 16-year-old girl who is abducted by this man named Clover/Colin. He takes her
Katelyn Paddock
Jun 28, 2015 Katelyn Paddock rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kristina
Sep 14, 2014 Kristina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the narration of 16 year old Summer, Summer's boyfriend Lewis and Colin aka Clover. Firstly, the writing style is very unfavorable. It is repetitive, too descriptive and over-uses analogies leaving the reader unable to use their own imagination. In sum, it is VERY poorly done.

The writing style never changes from each perspective, meaning Clover (the kidnapper) sounds just like the 16 year old Summer he kidnapped. The best part of reading a book from another point of view is be
Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦
:: 4.5 Pretty Little Stars ::

This is definitely one of those books that you need to set aside time to read. I picked this book up and started reading… Two hours later I was at page 200. WOW. Its super creepy (what happens to these “flowers” could happen to anyone), it’s extremely suspenseful, and it’s told in 3 different POV’s making it one dynamic and interesting book. I have to admit that when I saw some of the reviews for this book that I was kind of dreading reading it. BUT OMG I am so gla
Chester Dean

Summer es una adolescente de 16 años felizmente enamorada de su novio Lewis y con una vida envidiable. Tan tranquila era la cosa, que encontraba sumamente irritable la forma en la que sus papás y su novio le recalcaban que tenía que cuidarse más, que no debería salir sola de noche, y demás. Obviamente para ella eran preocupaciones tontas que la hacían sentir como si no la tomaran en serio o como una persona responsable, al cabo en su ciudad nunca pasaba nada, obviamente sus papás y su novio e
Analysa
Oct 30, 2013 Analysa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly one of the best books ever! (Also another book I read in watt pad) I can get very emotional when I read a book I like. I think I cried all throughout this book. It keeps you on edge and engaged! VERY GOOD! :)
Anja
Jun 22, 2015 Anja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a while ago on Wattpad and I loved it! It was really dark and twisted and it kept me captivated until the end!
Ariel Andrews
May 04, 2017 Ariel Andrews rated it liked it
Recommended to Ariel by: Hayley Martin
Shelves: books-i-own
It wasn't terrible. I read this book because my reviewing partner Hayley read it and really disliked it. I didn't think it was as awful as she did, but I don't think its the best book I've read. Natasha Preston is really great at setting up a story and following through with her details. A lot of the actions and characters seem very forced which makes it harder to get into the lives of the characters. Summer seemed very skin deep which made it hard for me to like her as much as I wanted to. Clov ...more
Laura Bowen
May 18, 2017 Laura Bowen rated it did not like it
I honestly would give this 0 stars. The plot was predictable, the internal dialogue was completely unnecessary, and all the other dialogue was cliche and forced. I did not like anything about this book other than the creepy factor of the flower names. Also, sorry for the bashing, but this was kind of bad.
K Elliott
Jan 13, 2017 K Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woo I finished it!

I really really really really liked this book. The suspense and the characters and conflicts in this novel summed up quite nicely. Yeah, I'd read it again. I felt like the ending was a tad bit underwhelming (as in the climactic part of the ending). It wasn't as fast-paced and climactic as I felt it should have. Other than that, this was a good book.

Also, I have to say that I'm in love with the writing style and how the book was set up. The changing in POV's was a little aggra
Amazing 1 4 May 25, 2017 03:30AM
Crazy for Young A...: The Cellar (The Cellar #1) by Natasha Preston → Start Date: March 28th, 2017 25 25 Apr 28, 2017 10:04PM
Good? 3 10 Mar 23, 2017 09:26PM
  • Vanquished
  • Chain Letter: Two Books in One
  • See Jane Run
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 05
  • Filthy 4 (Filthy, #4)
  • Love at Last Sight
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • His To Keep
  • Late Summer Rain
  • A Million Times Goodnight
  • The Unseen 2 (The Unseen, #3-4)
  • Our Song
  • The Shy Girl Has a Gun
  • On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • My Dark Knight
  • Girl Last Seen
  • Paying for His Mistakes
  • The Caledonian Inheritance (The Athena Effect #3)
New York Times Bestselling Author

I very rarely check goodreads so if you need to get in touch please email prestoninkltd@gmail.com
More about Natasha Preston...

The Cellar (2 books)
  • His (The Cellar #2)

“They were as pure as flowers.” 16 likes
“I had heard that true love is realized after a couple has experienced and overcome something huge.” 7 likes