Start by marking “This Is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids: A Question & Answer Guide to Everyday Life” as Want to Read:

Written in an accessible Q&A format, here, finally, is the go-to resource for parents hoping to understand and communicate with their gay child. Through their LGBTQ-oriented site, the authors are uniquely experienced to answer parents' many questions and share insight and guidance on both emotional and practical topics. Filled with real-life experiences from gay kids a ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by Chronicle Books (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about This Is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids

Sep 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is a book that makes me go nope nope nope.

Oh it is probably fine for parents of gay kids. But for parents of bisexual kids? Nope nope nope.

This was me reading the way Owens-Reid and Russo handled bisexuality in this book:

[image error]

Let me share why:

Read the rest of my review at bisexual-books.tumblr.com
Amanda
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
In my work as an LGBTQ youth advocate I recommend this book frequently because it’s one of the only ones out there for parents. Having finally read it cover to cover (instead of just relying on my knowledge of the authors and the book’s intent as a recommendation) I will continue suggesting it.

At five years old, it’s already a bit outdated, but concepts and terminology within gender and sexuality change so frequently and so quickly, five years is an eternity, and it doesn’t do much harm to the
Sarah Swarthout
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good resource. I wouldn't say it's perfect at all, (it defined bisexual wrong for one) but it's certainly going to be useful as a place to start the process. The resources at the back are pretty great in my opinion. Definitely filling a very important niche of dealing with the beginning stages of coming out to parents and giving them guidance. I'm extremely glad it exists.
Mike OHagerty
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic, common sense stuff

I hope!! Nothing earth-shattering here, but a good look into the challenges a parent might experience with their children and sexual orientation or identity. If you've been surprised by your child's announcement, this book is definitely a plus.
Dkbbookgirl
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whether or not you are the parent of a gay kid we could all learn fro the wisdom of this book!!!
Sandy Barker
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended. I will use this at school with the GSA I sponsor, and will also refer parents, teachers, and grandparents to it. Great resources listed in the back, too.
Tricia Friedman
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Accessible and honest-excellent blend of advice with anecdotal evidence.
Elijah Christopher
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Owens and Reid had many good suggestions and some sound advice. I, however, cannot support a book that is preaching acceptance to a community that defiles the most sacred covenant of our Lord: the covenant of worthy marriage. As marriage is only ordained and sacred when it is between a man and woman, and done under the proper authority, I do not believe in praising literature or other works that do uplift and encourage the acceptance of homosexual practices, especially those relationships that i ...more
Jae
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a book for parents who don't know anything, and I had to keep that in mind while reading. It's very basic but filling an important niche. They did an ok but not super great job on the gender chapter. It's definitely a great starting point for parents, and I'm probably going to get a copy for my mom. Would have been nice to have this eight years ago (eight years really???).

Also I'm quoted in it but Kristin neglected to ask how to spell my name so I'm just "J" which was a little
Beth
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is straightforward but brief. It seems to be based on a website run by parents for parents, with additional input from a counselor. It answers questions in a straightforward manner, but does not go into too much depth, e.g., "How do I handle sleepovers?" Answer: Establish a house rule that the kids keep the door open (but expand that into a couple of paragraphs).
Sarah Goewey
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: past-staff-picks
Okay, so the target audience is pretty specific, but Owens-Reid and Russo are funny and insightful. Can't we all learn something about adjustment and acceptance when it comes to family?
Ashleigh
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good, focuses on feelings and perspectives of both kids and parents. All parents and prospective parents should consider giving this a read--you never know.
Karen
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great basic resource. Helpful and gentle, in that the authors recognize and make room for the fact that parents can have an extremely wide variety of responses and questions. Recommended.
Deanne
3.5/5

Fine. Good information, did use transsexual, but other than that up to date.
Louise
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent resource. Saw the authors speak at The Boulde Bookstore in November.
Kaiti
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good 101 book. Definitely basic, but I appreciated the way it approached the questions and the informatio it provided.
Val
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good basic (very basic) resource.
Emiline
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Canal Builders: Making America's Empire at the Panama Canal
  • The Silk Road: Two Thousand Years in the Heart of Asia
  • Awake
  • The Houses of History: A Criticial Reader in Twentieth-Century History and Theory
  • Tiopa Ki Lakota
  • The Memorandum
  • Giant Days #14
  • Power Play: How Video Games Can Save the World
  • Sor Juana's Second Dream
  • What to Do When You're Having Two: The Twins Survival Guide from Pregnancy Through the First Year
  • Better than Perfect: Free Yourself from Impossible Standards So You Can Live a Happier, Healthier Life
  • Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973