Start by marking “The Treasure at Poldarrow Point (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)

The Treasure at Poldarrow Point

(Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)

When Angela Marchmont goes to Cornwall on doctor's orders she is looking forward to a nice rest and nothing more exciting than a little sea-bathing. But her plans for a quiet holiday are dashed when she is caught up in the hunt for a diamond necklace which, according to legend, has been hidden in the old smugglers' house at Poldarrow Point for over a century.

Aided by the
Published December 2nd 2013 by Clara Benson (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure at Poldarrow Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure at Poldarrow Point

Start your review of The Treasure at Poldarrow Point (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
The third of the Angela Marchmont mysteries sees her head off to Cornwall, Penzance specifically, when her doctor recommends a rest following a bout of the flu, though she is initially reluctant to do so. Once there she unwittingly falls into another mystery (as do all detectives on holiday) when she is invited to tea with Miss Trout and her nephew who live at Poldarrow Point, a house once occupied by smugglers. There is rumoured to be a treasure hidden in the house, in the form of a diamond ...more
Pauline Ross
This is the third in the Angela Marchmont series of cozies, and, seriously, I had a whale of a time with this book. It’s got smuggling, a secret room, mysterious tunnels, a missing diamond necklace and anonymous letters, not to mention a number of characters behaving in suspiciously odd ways. The plot is completely preposterous, of course, but the most amazing fun, and a great leap forward from the first two books in the series.

The character of Angela herself is really beginning to shine, now.
Susan
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third in the Angela Marchmont series. After a bout of flu, Angela is advised to have a holiday and rents a house in Cornwall. Poldarrow Point is a large house, overlooking the sea, and Angela is interested to meet the elderly lady, Emily Trout, who lives there with her nephew, Clifford.

When Angela’s god-daughter, the redoubtable Barbara, turns up out of the blue, she throws herself into the mystery of Poldarrow Point with gusto. For Emily Trout will have to leave soon, unless the
Rosemary
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of Golden Age detective fiction, especially that of Patricia Wentworth or Dorothy Sayers, this series will *be* a treasure for you. Clara Benson (1890-1965) wrote a series of mysteries featuring amateur sleuth Angela Marchmont in the 1920s and 1930s, but she never sought to have them published. In fact, her own family never even knew she'd written them, and only years after her death did her family discover the manuscripts.

Angela is an interesting detective figure: unlike her
Damaskcat
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Angela Marchmont, following a nasty bout of flu, is recommended by her doctor to take a holiday. She rents a house in Cornwall for some much needed rest and recreation only to find her god daughter, Barbara, turning up on her doorstep. Barbara is a very self-sufficient thirteen year old and manages to involve Angela in a search for hidden treasure.

International jewel thieves, undercover police, socialites who may or may not be who they say they are and Barbara’s propensity for disappearing mean
Mary Durrant
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love these Golden age mysteries.
This one being set in my beloved Cornwall.
Angela Marchmont was hoping for a quiet holiday in Cornwall.
All her plans change when she finds herself on the hunt for a diamond necklace.
Along with her young goddaughter who is quite a character.
Smugglers, hidden passages and is anyone who they are supposed to be?
Lovely period details including a threatening letter which has the scent of the French Perfume Shalimar !
Looking forward to more of these.
Jill
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clara-benson
This book to me was really a "cozy "read. I think the fact a twelve year old was the main character probably brought that to the fore. There were lots of suspicious characters to contend with. I did in fact suspect the one who turns out to be the villain, and was asking myself why the supposedly main character was being so dim about the whole affair. However I did really enjoy this light, easy read.
Niki
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The story was really good, BUT there was that insufferable brat named Barbara who spoiled the book for me – I sincerely hope she will not appear in another Angela Marchmont mystery because I could not stand her –
I almost gave the book 1 star only because of her, but it would have been unfair, since the mystery is quite good
Tania
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reads more like a children's adventure story than a mystery, but it was quite fun.
Cathy Coco
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and frothy read. Just what I needed on a couple of gloomy, rainy days.
Melissa
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I've been wondering whether "Clara Benson" is a hoax: such an unlikely back story -- she wrote these stories for her own enjoyment, didn't want them published in her lifetime (not quite like Jane Austen, who did see her stories published ...). But this one features a somewhat tedious child (well, she annoyed me, but she herself was adventurous and quite bright). Barbara is an orphan, who has come (on her own) to stay with Angela as there is scarlet fever in the other house she was going to stay ...more
Nancy
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, kindle
This is the 3rd book in the Angela Marchmont mystery series. Angela's 12 year old god-daughter, Barbara is introduced in this book about secret passages, a missing diamond necklace, and LOTS of false identities, this period cozy moves right along.

This book is a Kindle Unlimited selection that was worth reading.
John
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ebooks
I liked this one even better than the previous story. Some reviewers disliked the character of Angela's god-daughter Barbara, but I thought she was funny.
Susan
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GR thinks this is the Kindle edition, but it is on my Nook. It says there is no Nook edition, but obviously there is, because I have one! This annoys me.

Another enjoyable Angela Marchmont story - I am really enjoying this series. Angela and her young goddaughter Barbara get sucked into a treasure hunt at Poldarrow Point, near to the house Angela is renting in Cornwall while she recuperates. The old woman who lives at the Point tells them that there is a diamond necklace hidden somewhere, and she
Debbie Miller
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Much of this story was enjoyable, but it becomes frustrating because (just like in "The Murder at Sissingham Hall) the detective, Angela Marchmont, was really dumb in this story. It is obvious to the reader from half-way through the story who at least one of the villains was, but Angela doesn't see it until the end. Her 12-year-old niece and her housekeeper both find more clues than Angela does. Also, "The Treasure at Poldarrow Point" has Angela sacrificing her honor and reputation as a ...more
Cindy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
After solving two cases in close succession, Angela Marchmont is struck with a nasty case of pneumonia. Her doctor has ordered a rest cure at the sea side, so she's headed to Cornwall. She's barely unpacked when her impulsive goddaughter has shown up and discovered a local story of buried treasure.

Naturally, young Barbara has decided that would be the perfect project for their summer holiday. Angela is reluctant at first, but she gets caught up in the lives of the local residents. There's a
Scot
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angela is off to Cornwall for some rest after a bout of the flu, staying in a guest cottage not far from a lovely old home, now falling apart, that was once the headquarters of major smuggling, and now is the domicile of a sweet elderly lady and her feebish nephew who will be evicted in a few weeks--unless, it turns out, they can find Marie Antoinette's old necklace, which a family legend says might have been hidden somewhere there at Poldarrow Point. Angela's feisty thirteen year old ...more
Cherry London
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Another mesmerizing thrilling mystery, it was as riveting as the other two, only this one had a hint of romance between the good guy and the bad, of course, the good guy was hoodwinked into believing he was the police. Ah what a tangled web Mrs. Marchmont weaved herself into, but with class, she extricated herself very well. Her god-daughter Barbara was a riot and she had the makings of a true detective, solved her own case but almost died in the process for she was way over her head, I think ...more
Sherry Cross
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cozy mystery in Cornwall

Angela Marchmont is assigned to a vacation in Cornwall following a brief illness. Of course wherever Angela goes, intrigue soon follows, and the small village in Cornwall is no exception. In fact, she is soon embroiled in the search for a missing necklace that was taken in a robbery some 30 years prior. The search allows the discovery of hidden tunnels and secret rooms in a lovely old house that is just a few years from plunging into the sea. Suspense and lies combine for
Vintagebooklvr
3 1/2 stars. A pumped up Enid Blyton book in a good way. Who doesn't love the idea of treasure hunt to find a fabulous missing diamond necklace in a run-down mansion with secret passages and dangerous criminals. Plus a good mystery with plenty of twists. I loved the irrepressible Barbara and hope she shows up in some other books in this series. The beginning was a bit slow but it picked up speed and became a good thriller as well.
Maria Valderrama
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm going to have to change my rating for Books 1 & 2 to 4 stars so I can give this one 3 stars. The first two books were much better in terms of characters suited to the era. What put me off about this book was Barbara, Angela's 12-year-old goddaughter. She was an obnoxious, rude, lying and downright annoying presence in the plot in addition to the fact that she simply 'appeared' and not well woven into the story.
Jane Shibilski
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really thought I had it all figured out, even with all the twists and turns, but I was wrong! The author, once again, has managed to deliver a novel that does not disappoint. It’s easy to mistake this as just another cozy mystery, but you would be wrong. The plot is intricate and even though you suspect you know the answers, the author throws you a curve you had no way of knowing was coming. This is well worth your time and I highly suggest you read this series.
Lori Byrne
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great period read!

If you like Victorian mysteries, this is a really fun series. Watching the Main female buck traditional standards and sleuth in an all male world is a lot of fun. Quick read and good entertainment!
Jocelyn
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Jolly good story

It was easy enough to work out all the various mysteries long before Angela did, which was annoying. I wanted to give her a good shake! However, the character of Barbara more than made up it. Great fun. Definitely going to read more!
Lisa
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Golden-Age mystery by a modern author. I could see strong shades of Christie in this one, and I quite enjoyed the adventure, with secret passages and smugglers caves and way too many people who are not what they seem.
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Her plucky goddaughter was a fun sidekick for her.
Bloss ♡
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my favourite of the three Clara Benson stories I’ve read featuring Angela. Although predictable, it was a good story with a lovely setting. I enjoyed it!
Voirrey
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh this was fun! Almost everyone was a possible suspect for something, one way or another - it was a bit like a Famous Five story for adults!
Cheryl
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-edition
I think this was my favorite of the three I've read. Good pacing, better drawn characters and quite a bit more humor than the others. This one would make a cracking good TV movie.
Cathy
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a more active book with smugglers caves and secret passages. The author had to bring in a younger character in the form of Mrs. Marchmont’s goddaughter. I enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Love & Murder: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery
  • Hijinks & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #18)
  • A FATAL AFFAIR (JAZZ & GIN COZY MYSTERY #1)
  • The Saltwater Murder (Posie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Murder on All Hallows Eve (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #15)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • The Case at Barton Manor (Mrs. Lillywhite Investigates Book 1)
  • A Murderous Ride (Bunburry #2)
  • Murder by Plum Pudding (Ginger Gold Mysteries #11)
  • Murder on Fleet Street (Ginger Gold Mysteries #12)
  • Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
  • Murder at Blackburn Hall (High Society Lady Detective Book 2)
  • A Body Among the Roses: A 1920s Mystery (Mrs. Lillywhite Investigates Book 4)
  • Murder By Chocolate (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #12)
  • Wedding Vows & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #10)
  • Murder at the Boat Club: a cozy 1920s murder mystery (A Ginger Gold Mystery)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Angela Marchmont Mystery (10 books)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 4)
  • The Incident at Fives Castle (Angela Marchmont Mystery #5)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
  • The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)
  • The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)