Start by marking “Of Moose and Men: A Skewed Look at Life in Alaska” as Want to Read:
Of Moose and Men: A Skewed Look at Life in Alaska

Of Moose and Men: A Skewed Look at Life in Alaska

Based on A.E. Poyner's award-winning humor column, this collection takes a twisted look at life in the Last Frontier -- from moose-nugget swizzlesticks to gardening. One of the funniest books you'll ever read.
Published February 24th 1999 by Wizard Works

To ask other readers questions about Of Moose and Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Moose and Men

Christina Wright
Interesting look at Alaska

I found this book amusing, but not laugh out loud funny. I flunked the sSAT test so I do not think I will be moving to Alaska anytime soon. Still want to visit though.
Cedar Sanderson
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like any book of essays, some are better than others. Some will have you rolling on the floor gasping for breath and wiping tears from your eyes. I started reading it in bed (a mistake!) and had to get up to go read the dog essay to my fiancé. This is well worth the price, even if you have never lived in Alaska (I have) and you may well recognize neighbors and family in his pungent sketches of people and the crazy things they do. Enjoy!
Dorothy Timm
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a series of cute stories in the year of the authors life in Alaska. I found the first several chapters laugh-out-loud funny. Although it was about Alaska, I think lots of people who live where there's heavy snow will identify with many of the situations. I didn't find spring and summer as humorous (just funny instead of hysterical, laugh-out-loud). The last few chapters, getting into fall and then winter again were once again very funny.
Melissa Kayden
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like the life of the typical Alaskan stories, but these all seemed the same. I think I would have liked to read them as articles or essays but reading them all in one book was too much. I only got halfway through before giving up.
Ramona Walker
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty amusing little book but I'd have liked even more details. Each section was a little anecdote but I would have liked them filled out a bit more. Still, it was a very clear picture of real life in Alaska.
George
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book--humorously describes life in Alaska. Would make a good sitcom with a fat guy in the lead role. Humorous, but got boring after awhile, because all the stories seemed the same...so I put it down. Fun read before or during your trip to Alaska.
Johnny Simonich
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious stories of everyday living in Alaska. The Author keeps you laughing throughout every story. Each humorous situation is spot on with actual everyday life. It mind boggling and amazing how the author finds so much humor in life.
Cara
First of all, I'm probably biased because I know A.E. Poynor. However, I would give this book six stars out of five if I could. The entire thing is laugh-out-loud hilarious as Poynor explorers the many mysteries of Alaskan life. Even the dreaded Lower 48-ers would love this book.
Nick
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hilarious
Hollyjo Nunn
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Want to know more about what it's like to live in Alaska ? Then pick up this book. Filled with funny stories about Alaskan life and the goofy people from here.
Juleintx
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this during my trip to Alaska. He has a great way of explaining how the little things in life can turn into a funny situation.
Pat Holland
Jul 16, 2016
Eugene Haskell
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I started writing early as a child. It wasn't so much a desire to express myself, but a way to keep my lies straight.