Start by marking “The Flash, Vol. 3: Gorilla Warfare” as Want to Read:
The Flash, Vol. 3: Gorilla Warfare

The Flash, Vol. 3: Gorilla Warfare

(The Flash (2011) #3)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,135 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
In his hometown of Central City, The Flash--a.k.a. Barry Allen--is constantly deflecting the criminal schemes of his Rogue's Gallery. Money hungry, cunning and powerful, these villains have the Scarlet Speedster running at a pace faster than even the world's fastest man is used to.
But when Gorilla Grodd and his army descend on Central City, The Flash will have to contend
Published August 19th 2014 by DC Comics (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Flash, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flash, Vol. 3

Jeff
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Yeah, "Red" week was a few weeks ago...

Is there anyone out there that has written a better than average Flash book? One that doesn’t constantly bring up the flarking “Speed Force”? The TV show doesn’t seem to have a problem making this guy entertaining. Why can’t comic book writers?

This one is a New 52 storyline, so I had low expectations going in, but still…

The basic story: Gorilla Grodd and a bunch of his ape cronies crash pod into Central City, so super-simian Grodd can latch onto and steal
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
What's nice about this volume is that each issue is closely knit together and make for a decent story that continuously moves forward. The downside is the denouement to each conflict and obstacle in this volume. Way too easy and clean.

Most of this story focuses on a full-scale talking gorilla invasion, and that puts Gorilla Grodd at the center of all the destruction. It was really interesting to see Grodd mysteriously arrive out of the blue and crash into The Flash's life like thunder. His newfo
Donovan
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

Gorilla Warfare is a strange third volume.

In large part a "smash 'em up" in which King Grodd and his army invade Central City, Manapul and Buccellato also philosophize evolution and briefly posit what it would be like for another species to assume superiority. Balance this with the Rogues, the Speed Force, and an introduction to Wally Joe Daniel West as the Reverse Flash and you have Volume 3.

While exciting and layered, the book and story arc feel much longer than needed. It's practically an "
StoryTellerShannon
The fight against King Grodd and details about the SpeedForce were the best parts. There are some other stories in here that are more lacking. Dialogue is on the nose too often and stating things happening that readers can see in the artwork.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus.
Joseph
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a great volume of the Flash here. The gorilla assault on Central City lasted just a bit too long, and there seem to be a number of subplots that go on and on.

Never been a big Grodd fan, and tying him into the Speed Force just seems odd to me.

I liked the new heroes, and the Rogues were entertaining, but one of the newly powered beings does something that seemed random and came out of nowhere.

The art is good when Manapul draws but the fill-ins were only fair.

I am looking forward to Reverse F
Maxine ❃ etherealpages
Absolutely loved this! I think The Flash teaming up with the Rogues is my new favorite thing. Also, cocky Flash is fun Flash. ;)
Gavin
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It was OK. There's just too much Grodd here.
At the end of Vol. 2 Grodd shows up with his people in Central City, and for the majority of Vol. 3, Flash teams up with the Rogues to fight them off.
Best parts: When Trickster goes to Grodd to offer his help, and Grodd rips his arm clean off. I laughed a lot. (I'm a sicko).
Iris. They remembered that oops, Vol. 1 kinda threw her somewhere...what did we do with her again? She's a major character! I know, Speed Force limbo Zone.

Bad Parts: did I mention
David Church
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James DeSantis
Okay better than the first two volumes.

Then why the same rating? Well this is a solid 3, the others were 2.5.

.5? THAT'S THE BIG DIFFERENCE ?

Yes. I have to be honest, so far, The Flash has been just okay at best. The best part is easily the art, which looks fantastic in action. I love the way Barry moves, attacks, and the effects all look stunning. This also feels better put together. We start with King Grodd taking over, and it's interesting, until it's not. Which is right around the second is
Kyle
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dcu
Mostly a high-energy, fast paced collection. This has been a consistent series for the new 52, let's hope that doesn't change.

4/5
Frédéric
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, flash
This volume basically suffers from the same problems than the previous one. Nice storytelling per se impeded by a poor overall narration, awkward at best, unclear if push comes to shove.

The Grood part is the best of the 2 stories included, even though I won’t say I was much interested in it. I spent too much time struggling with the narration to really enjoy the story. Here are the best best examples of Manapul’s art/storytelling though.
The second part with the Trickster was boring as hell, a po
Anton
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved both halves of this book. The first half for the art, the 2nd for the immersive story. As for the first half, the splash pages were abundant, but as a fan of Gorilla Grodd, I was disappointed how his role was written, he was just too physically threatening, and I didn't like how easily he was defeated, but hey, I'm sure we'll see more of him in the future volumes. The 2nd half of the book was written by Buccaleto mostly, and the story really emphasized on the Flash's powers and it was a ...more
Chad
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A showdown with Gorilla Grodd and the Rogues teaming up with Flash is a highlight here. Back to more Manapul art is a plus for sure. Hints are thrown in suggesting the fate of Dr. Elias. The series is building steadily to the payoff when the writers will finish their arc. The art in this book has been some of the most kinetic and beautiful I've seen in a long time, and Manapul will be sorely missed.
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good volume. Worth a read. I like King Grood as a villain.
Eldon Farrell
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Again the artwork impresses and the storyline is solid. That said, something about it just didn't resonate with me. I'm hoping it's a blip in the series.
Elinor Master of Gifs
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
J'aime beaucoup cette série ! C'est très beau, et j'aime bien les intrigues. Ce volume ne fait pas exception. Surtout qu'on a un team-up Flash / Rogues !! J'adore les Rogues, surtout Cold, et c'était super cool de les voir coopérer avec Flash pour sauver la ville des gorilles. J'aime les histoires de team-up avec des vilains.
Ricky Ganci
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-52
(4.5 stars) Messrs. Manapul and Buccellato bring this first set of New 52 story arcs to a satisfying and thorough close in The Flash, Vol. 3: Gorilla Warfare , which picks up immediately following the arrival of Gorilla Grodd and his invasion force to Central City in search of the Scarlet Speedster and his connection to the Speed Force itself.

STORY AND SCRIPT
In my review of Vol. 2: Rogues Revolution , I talked about all of the plot threads that the creative team had snowballed into the curre
ScarlettMi
There was a little too much time spent on Grodd, who I don't really find that interesting. I suppose that's to be expected with the volume titled "Gorilla Warfare" but I could have done with less.

The art was great as usual. Unique layouts and a great use of color.

The story, however, fell flat for me. The whole thing felt like it had slowed down and was in a holding pattern waiting to really take off in the next volume with the storylines it seeded here. At least I hope that's the case.

A perfectl
Eric Mikols
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flash
I want to like this series because it's just a traditional superhero take on the Flash, has a fun group of villains and likable art, but the writing just isn't there. The plot is all over the place, the Rogues aren't as threatening as the should be, even with super powers and as much as I like the art itself the paneling is a mess and makes it hard to follow. Also, I like Grodd well enough but Gorilla City has never done anything for me and them invading Central City isn't something I want to sp ...more
Kayra Guven
This graphic novel deserves a 96%. It is really hard to rate a book using the starring system, so from now on, I am planning on using the good old percentage system.
This was definitely the best volume out of three I read of Flash. That ending though... just perfection! I can not find volume four anywhere, but as soon as I have it, I'm going to read it. I was starting to worry that there wasn't a REVERSE FLASH but... there is. I missed the reverse flash. Hope that there is a lot of scenes with h
Richard Guion
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorilla Warfare really picks up the pace / action and gives the Flash a really good adversary to overcome. The New 52 version of Gorilla Grodd appears to have some connection to the Speed Force and can move super fast at times. Which seems to be an improvement - the old Grodd was a formidable telepath but ultimately The Flash could pummel him a few thousand times and he would drop. The Rogues are enlisted to help The Flash fight the Gorilla Invasion of Central City and that is a lot of fun.
Charlos
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragged a little, but with good artwork and dialogue. Got a chuckle out of the Dial H reference, but since it wasn't notated, it's not noticeable unless you've read both. Also like how this explains Flash's absence in the whole "Throne of Atlantis" arc elsewhere in DCland. Flash continues to stand out against other darker New 52 titles by being about superheroes and supervillains, and not trying to be gritty and edgy.
Thomas
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun book, not doing anything radically new with the character but good all the same. Manapul's art is awesome if the layout is occasionally hard to follow, the plot was good and ended on a great cliffhanger. Manapul is obviously trying to channel some Eisner/Miller influence in some of his panel work. Good stuff.
Scott
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fraser Sherman
An entertaining collection as Flash and his adversaries team up against Gorilla Grodd, though the latter's origin here is weird (he believes the speed force should rightfully be his). And I could do without Geoff Johns' reboot of the Trickster, who's purely annoying. Overall, though, a good job.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Exciting battles and pretty fellows

Flash has to save so many people! Omg, how can he possibly do it? All the while a big gorilla wants to eat his brain as well! Central City hasn't seen anything this amazing in some time, and the city may not survive to see another!
Scott
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been really enjoying reading the new 52 - Flash
but
This one fell flat.
Great art and I was looking forward to the storylines involving Grodd but the plot was weak and the story wasn't cohesive.

Average at best.
Hannah Givens
With the addition of more secret-identity complications and a lot of speed force stuff, I'm starting to like this series a lot more.
Nicolas
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a big improvement over previous volumes. The art is great. I'm looking forward to Reverse Flash!
Nitasha
Ugh, I hate Grodd. I always feel like reading his storylines are such a chore.
  • The Flash, Vol. 5: History Lessons
  • Batman – Detective Comics, Volume 3: Emperor Penguin
  • Aquaman, Volume 5: Sea of Storms
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 3: Iron
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians, Volume 3: Love and Death
Francis Manapul is a comic book artist living in Toronto, Canada currently working for DC comics. His list of credits include the forthcoming Adventure Comics, and Superman Batman. In the past he's worked on titles like Legion of Super-Heroes, Iron and the Maiden, Necromancer, Sept Guerrieres, Tomb Raider, Darkness, G.I Joe and of course Witchblade.

Photo by Luigi Novi.

The Flash (2011) (9 books)
  • The Flash, Vol. 1: Move Forward