Start by marking “The Extreme Life of the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Extreme Life of the Sea

The Extreme Life of the Sea

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The ocean teems with life that thrives under difficult situations in unusual environments. The Extreme Life of the Sea takes readers to the absolute limits of the ocean world--the fastest and deepest, the hottest and oldest creatures of the oceans. It dives into the icy Arctic and boiling hydrothermal vents--and exposes the eternal darkness of the deepest undersea trenches ...more
Published February 23rd 2014 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Extreme Life of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extreme Life of the Sea

Deborah Ideiosepius
In this nicely written, beautifully researched book a father and son, Marine Biologist and Diver collaborate to share with it's readers some of the beauties, wonders and weirdnessess of the marine environments. As a diver and a marine biologist (by training, if not by trade) this book charmed me. Many of the thing in it were not new to me but they were written with clarity, and humour so that it felt like a pleasant refresher about those animals I was familiar with and a fascinating exploration ...more
B. Rule
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is full of truly fascinating information. However, I found parts of the telling to be a chore. The book is written by a father/son team, one a marine biologist and the other a "writer and blogger". The seams between the contributions are often visible, where chapters or sub-chapters open with the author painting a vivid scene... in a totally unnecessary and gravely silly way totally unrelated to the facts to be relayed. Okay, thanks guy, you can skip the immersive prose account of how ...more
Shaitanah
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, informative and written in an entertaining, vivid and accessible way.
Eva
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Ever had the feeling that nowadays we know our world so well that there are no real surprises left? No unknown depths where no camera crew has been before? The Extreme Life of the Sea might prove you wrong.
The sea is the earth's largest habitat and has so many things to offer that only in the last few decades scientists managed to solve some of its mysteries. Still, there are depths of the deep sea yet to be explored and research is ongoing.
This book contains the things we already know about th
Lauren Mach
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was gifted to me by a friend, and despite the 3 star rating I really liked the vast majority of it. However, I disliked almost every chapter ending with essentially, okay we showed you all of these super cool sea creatures and here's how they're all going to die due to global climate change. The last chapter focuses specifically on how global climate change and reads like a eulogy of the ocean. While I understand that educating people on global climate change is important, I do not thi ...more
R K
Very informative and educational. Went through the entire ocean highlighting the ways in which life has evolved to survive in its environment. How the mysteries of the ocean are constantly being brought forward. Did get a bit boring at times but did interest me in reading more about different types of animals.
william ferry
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting book documenting extremes (hot, cold, large, small etc.) in oceans.
Chris
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointed this is written for a very general public. Best for middle schoolers
Urey Patrick
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Extreme Life of the Sea is a collection of fascinating facts and explanations of marine life forms, ranging from whales to bacteria and all sizes and types in between. The authors explain complex biological functions and evolutionary adaptations in layman's language – easily understood, informative to the utmost, and engrossingly organized and explained. Seal deep diving, swordfish ability to see well at great depths, bacterial life in the rifts and sulfuric sea spouts, breeding strategies and m ...more
Terran
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-serious
I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to. Pop science often falls flat -- it's hard to walk that thin line of being simultaneously accurate, up-to-date, and compelling. The Palumbis managed to pull it off quite well in this book.

It's a whirlwind tour of a number of "gee whiz" (and some "holy sh*t") facets of sea life. But rather than being either a dry recitation of facts or an edutianment-style tabloid, it manages to treat its subjects with reverence, delight, wonder, beauty, and depth.
Soh Kam Yung
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, reference, science
A fascinating book about the oceans and the creatures that live in it and depend on it directly. The writing feels a bit clumsy here and there, but the amount of amazing facts revealed more than make up for it.

The book is separated into chapters, each one concentrating on a particular aspect of the ocean, with little overlap between the chapters. The first chapter looks at how it all began and how early life in the sea may have looked and lived. It then moves on to the most ancient forms of life
Giovani Rodriguez-ceja
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Extreme Life of the Sea was an engaging book. It provides the reader with an abundant amount of knowledge over the history of the Ocean life’s evolutionary changes. Despite all the scientific knowledge it has to offer, it’s not as tedious or perplexing as one may perhaps find a science textbook to be. As the name might imply, the book covers the extremes of marine biology. The fastest, the deepest, the hottest, the oldest, the strongest, the biggest, etc. Apart from the history of the Ocean ...more
Bill
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: marine-biology
Overall, I found this a little bland, although I would recommend this as an introductory survey on marine life for a young reader around 10 to 15 years old. It is very clearly written (but suffers from several grammatical errors that escaped the editing process), and focusses on the adaptive strategies of marine life while purposely glossing over the environmental impact of humans on that life. The final chapter does cover environmental issues, but in an optimistic light that is fairly rare in b ...more
Angie
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Eventually, I will give this a second try. I found it difficult. I actually loved the pop culture examples that another Good Reader found distracting. For me, this was so far afield of what I know about and the sea life is so contextually unfamiliar that the pop culture gave me analogies that I spoke my language. But, about 60% of the way through, it became a chore. to continue. That's probably unfair as it was well-written, so at some point hence it'll be worth a reboot in the reading rotation.
Doug
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Extreme Life of the Sea has a lot of cool stuff in it that you probably did not know about what goes on in our oceans. This makes the last chapter, which describes what out oceans will be like by the turn of the century, unless we make some drastic changes, all the more poignant. Let's just say that you will not want to plan to go to the beach for your 2100 vacation. This book is extremely well written , with a wry sense of humor that makes it fun. It is nice to read something written by som ...more
Daphne
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this one as an audiobook and it worked very well in that format. The narrator was perfect for a book like this. Crisp and clear with no problems pronouncing scientific terms.

The book itself is one that anyone that has loved biology/ecology for any length of time will find many of the life described here already familiar. There is still lots to be discovered in it, even for me!

I do recommend this one to my science minded friends. :)
GONZA
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and well written. Absolutely clear even if a little bit more of pictures or photos would have been a little better. Anyway it is written in a fascinating way and it was like exploring the underworld with a friend....

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND PRINCETON UNIVERSITY PRESS FOR THE PREVIEW!
Hom Sack
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just fascinating, the wonders of the natural world in the sea. It is even better than the recent lecture by the authors. The infrequent analogies to pop culture could be puzzling ( e.g., Ray Allen's jump shot? p.104 ). Certainly, worth a second reading.
Foggygirl
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-read
One of the best natural history books that I have read, peppered with small pop culture references that makes it both extremely entertaining as well as informative. Who knew that there were small jellyfish out there that could regenerate like Dr. Who!
Caro
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of really cool information about undersea life, but if ever a book cried out for a good designer, this is it. Imagine what the National Geographic could have done with illustrations...to say nothing of a decent font and a more inviting layout. As it is, I labored to finish it.
Elias Levy
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ocean, science
Fun ocean life trivia. Well written and full of facts.
Lauren Paulsen
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very informative yet easy to read. Voice is great. Brings to attention so large problems that we all face and need to think about and deal with. I think everyone should read this book.
Belinda Jonak
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Informative & entertaining. Very successful father & son collaboration.
Stef
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The sea is full of wonders
Lizz
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oldest? Hottest? Fastest? Full of fascinatingly extreme ocean-dweller facts.

See my other ten word book reviews at my blog: https://tenwordbookreviews.wordpress....
Amy
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
NF Science

178 pages

The Palumbis take us on a voyage of the oceans. We are shown the emmense diversity of sea life and the interactions upon each other.
Willow Croft
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Fascinating read, and well-written! Would definitely recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
  • The Ocean of Life: The Fate of Man and the Sea
  • Underwater to Get Out of the Rain: A Love Affair With the Sea
  • Voyage of the Turtle: In Pursuit of the Earth's Last Dinosaur
  • Nature's Nether Regions: What the Sex Lives of Bugs, Birds, and Beasts Tell Us About Evolution, Biodiversity, and Ourselves
  • Spineless: Portraits of Marine Invertebrates, the Backbone of Life
  • The Power of the Sea: Tsunamis, Storm Surges, Rogue Waves, and Our Quest to Predict Disasters
  • The Unfeathered Bird

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers