Start by marking “A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive” as Want to Read:
A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive

A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive

The Social Revolution's impact on the business world cannot be over-estimated. Like the meteor that likely precipitated the end of the dinosaurs, Social is the catalyst in an extinction event--and business as we know it has changed forever.

A World Gone Social offers an eye-opening look at fundamental and powerful changes the social collaboration era has set in motion:

Published September 17th 2014 by AMACOM (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A World Gone Social, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World Gone Social

Start your review of A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive
John E. Smith
I have this really great problem … I cannot decide what I like most about A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive by Ted Coine and Mark Babbitt.

This book has so many helpful and well-written sections that I cannot decide which is the most important or useful to us. For example:

The authors "get" the impact of the social age on our society and on business in ways large and small.
They focus on real engagement (top down and personal) throughout the book, while providing a wide vari
Deborah
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mark Babbitt and Ted Coiné have written a book you MUST read, A World Gone Social, if you don’t want to fall prey to Darwin’s survival of the fittest. Mark and Ted make it clear, with concrete examples, that the Social World’s implications for 21st Century business are enormous:

Customers have more power than they’ve had before; Settling for mediocre won’t work!
Employees have more power than they’ve had before; Their ideas and insights matter!
Command-and-Control is a delusion; Wake up and get fla
Elizabeth
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Amazing! I got a review copy, and I thought this was a great book for business leaders to help them really understand the new drivers of consumers (and therefore their business).
Jerry
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
An excellent book on the multiple aspects of social media. The authors explain how social media changes everything. The way to communicate with customers and employees, the way things are bought and sold, the way companies are organized and managed. The book seems to be directed mostly at large companies and smaller companies competing with them. It talks about how social media relates to marketing, recruiting, holacracy and flat organizations, OPEN, mobile, the cloud, big data, and analytics.

H
Chris Aylott
Mar 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Beware of revolutionaries, because they're usually full of it. Coiné and Babbitt have an interesting take on how social media have changed the hiring world -- not too surprising, since this book exists so they can get hired for consulting jobs -- but their cries of how any CEO who doesn't follow their leadership into the "Social Age" are overblown to say the least.

Yes, social media offers some fantastic opportunities for communication, collaboration, and customer service. People are doing new an
Kelly
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
This book was eye-opening for me. I'm a midcareer leader in a company where social engagement is done by specific people in the marketing department. I have a LinkedIn & Facebook account, as well as a Twitter account that I rarely use. I had looked at social networking as mainly a time suck or fun way to keep in touch with specific people, but this book convinced me that I need to be using it more as a tool to engage my employees, potential customers and future employers. Written from the busine ...more
Jozsef
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
A book about the next revolution in business and work: the social component. Take it with a pound of salt because it describes how much more extreme the world will change because "social", while sounding like propaganda. I still recommend this read because it is always better to have some awareness of things to come than realizing it only afterwards.
Jane
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, business

A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive by Mark Babbitt and Ted Coine’

Do you need a compelling reason to read a book? A catchy title piques my interest, the cover might be a magnet, but what really clinches it for me is a quick glance through the table of contents and a discerning scan of a few key chapters. I have yet to be tossed out of a bookstore for lingering too long with multiple books opened while I make a decision. A World Gone Social is one of those rare books that i
Darren
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What is that little two character phrase that will mean a lot to many social media addicts which describes this book perfectly? Ah, yes - +1!

You’ve not already been convinced? You better get used to it. Social media and social networking is here to stay. The “Social Revolution” has started and shows no sign of abating. Even today many businesses are messing up in the social media space and many senior people still “don’t get it”. To put it bluntly, you wouldn’t represent your brand on live, nati
Lis Carey
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Coiné and Babbitt make the case that the future of business--any business, any industry--is social. Every company, big or small, business to business or business to consumer, must not only have a presence on social media, but an active, interactive presence. They need to make social media presence not just a marketing tool but an integral part of how the company operates, at every level and in every function.

And on the "every level" point: They also maintain that the best-run, most successful co
Stan Skrabut
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading another book that talks about the importance of social media for business. More importantly, it addresses the need for employees at all levels of the organization to use social media to advance the objectives of the organization. This is not necessarily a new theme. It is one I have been reading about for the past couple of years. However, the message seems to be more pointed—leverage social media or become extinct.
If you can't embrace social, get used to obsolescence. ~Jim
Chantal Bechervaise
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely a book that should be on everyone's list to read for 2014. Ted Coiné and Mark Babbitt have taken years of experience and research and put it in a concise and engaging read. It talks about the impact of the social age on leadership, employee engagement, customer experience and innovation. It goes beyond the number of followers you may have, to the influences and influencers that affect business today. I would recommend that any Leader or CEO in an organization read this bo ...more
Richard Shields
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This was outside my normal reading genres, but it contained information I felt I needed to know as part of being "properly informed." The authors' basic thesis of "social" seems sound and correct in most respects. I found the book something of a slog and was tempted to put it down several times, all because much of the writing was repetitive and, in parts, carried the flavor of a pep talk. I ended up skimming the latter half. Still, I would recommend the book, particularly for those in the busin ...more
John Thurlbeck
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-books
Ted and Mark wrote my truly standout book in 2014 - it is full of quotable, tweetable commentary and advice! Whilst reading it, it opened up my thinking to some fantastic possibilities, both then and for the future!

If you haven't read this book still, get a copy today and immerse your mind! We are now in the Social Age and time is moving on ... fast!
Kimunya
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a breath of fresh air. Real examples make it the more believable. A must for any company that is serious about thriving in the 21st Century. Ted and Mark put their heart and expertise into this masterpiece. Enjoyed it to the last full stop!

If you want to engage with these two fine authors, I managed to chat with them. "Go Social Or Go Broke" http://bit.ly/15SIiWC
Joe
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
The industrial age is over. It's the social age now. From crowd-sourcing, to tweeting, to online petitions, a paradigm shift has occurred for employers and employees. Full of real world examples of both effective and disastrous uses of social. Really good read.
Mario Tomic
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awesome book on how to use social media for your company or personal brand. Even if you're already active on social media, this books is a very useful read packed with new ideas. Definitely won't regret reading it!
Casey
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strongly written book about the power of social media. Forward thinking, this book has many applications to the military and organizations like DEF as well. Highly recommend!
Mirek Jasinski
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like it!

Gives a lot of "food for thought", although I can bet that many C-level executives will not understand it.
Eric Burgan
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just listened to this. This will be very valuable to go through again in text.
Luke Keck
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A World Gone Social is one of the best books I've ever read about life in the social age. It's astounding now how connected the world has become, and anybody who doesn't keep up will get washed out. It's easy to think "Well, I just stay away from social media" but the reality is that the "real" world and social world are now one and the same. Even if you're not an active social media user, your life is still being affected by what's happening on social media.

"A World Gone Social" gives an excel
Alberto
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
good few points but the author seemed to me over enthusiastic about the social media presence, and about non hierarchical firms.
DHammacher
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit dated at this point. To be fair, I started this, like two years ago, and stumbled back across it and finished it. Good refresher though.
Christopher Ryan Emmons

• You Are Trending In My Dreams
  • Stick with It: The Science of Lasting Changes
  • The Girl Next Door
  • The Syria Dilemma
  • The Compass of Pleasure: How Our Brains Make Fatty Foods, Orgasm, Exercise, Marijuana, Generosity, Vodka, Learning, and Gambling Feel So Good
  • Imperfect Strangers
  • Hot Art: Chasing Thieves and Detectives Through the Secret World of Stolen Art
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Filosofia antica
  • Philosophy 101: From Plato and Socrates to Ethics and Metaphysics, an Essential Primer on the History of Thought
  • Learning Http/2: A Practical Guide for Beginners
  • hapi.js in Action
  • Web Performance in Action
  • Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
  • Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard
  • Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success
TED COINÉ is a Forbes Top 10 Social Media Power Influencer and an Inc. Top 100 Leadership Expert. He is cofounder of Switch and Shift, a blog focused on leadership, culture, and change.

News & Interviews

“In today’s workforce, many of us trust each other and communicate more, and in turn, we’re more authentic and open to input and criticism. Many of us invite collaboration from all sources—even from our competition, when mutually beneficial. More than anything else, we’re more cooperative, and more social.” 0 likes
“Respect employees so they come to work every day feeling like the mature, responsible adults you deliberately hired.” 0 likes