Start by marking “The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  668 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This book is a practical guide to discovering and exploiting security flaws in web applications. The authors explain each category of vulnerability using real-world examples, screen shots and code extracts. The book is extremely practical in focus, and describes in detail the steps involved in detecting and exploiting each kind of security weakness found within a variety o ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Web Application Hacker's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Web Application Hacker's Handbook

عَبدُالكَرِيمْ
If you have the basic understanding of security and you want to be a web pen-tester / hacker. This is the book you want to read.

+ Technical just like the way I like books
+ Explains many methods you couldn't possible imagine before.
+ Step by Step explanation
+ New ideas and exploitation methods

- Labs cost 7$ / Hr ---> Not much practice; however you can find many free practice labs (e.g. pentesterlab.com)
- Focuses on Burp Proxy only -- there are many other tools
- a bit outdated ! <- many of v
OJ
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: security
This is a necessary read for anyone looking to get a better idea of web application security, particularly those who haven't had a background in the security field at all. It's a long read, and not one that I think people can sit down to and push through quickly. I got through this while reading a few others at the same time.

It's fairly well edited with just a few simple mistakes. The exercises are interesting, though they feel a little laborious by the end.

I enjoyed reading it and would recomme
Elene Latsoshvili
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Loved the book. Maybe overdetailed in some parts, but it covers really lots and lots of things explained in a very good way :) a must-read for web application developers
Cameron
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much the definitive guide to testing and defending web apps. Anyone looking to enter the field can't do much better than reading this book cover to cover.
Takedown
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best web security book period. Absolutely awesome, easy to read and filled with practical tips and tricks with no bullshit. Highly recommended.
Balhau
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was a really long journey. This book has a massive number of pages, about 900. It took me a month to read all the contents here and the conclusion is, this is just the begining. The technics used to hack into web applications, and in a more general perspective, computer systems are many, furthermore the can and should be combined to optimize the effectiveness of your attack. This book introduces you into the world of hacking in a web application perspective. You should be advised that ...more
Dvir Oren
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really good book, I learned a ton and it's great for creativity as well.

I remember waking up everyday for ~2-3 weeks and reading this for 1 hour straight at 5:30-6am, just to finish the toughest thing first thing in the day haha. Very hard to read, looking back I have no idea how I did it :)

Ahmed Sultan
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Finished the book long time ago , but had to return to it again these days
well , i consider it as the web app pentesting bible xD
totally worth 5 stars , but took off one because it depend a lot on the paid online labs which cant be afford for long time
waiting for the 3rd edition
Mark
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still reading it, but helps to sharpen the swords and buff the armor ;)
Jean Gobin
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book quite a while back, but only started it a few months ago. Being almost 10 years old, some of the information is a bit outdated, but the general principles still old true.

Web Applications are omnipresent: be them to manage your bank account, order stuff, keep in touch with friends or seek for a job, chances are this is through one of these. For most of them, security is an absolute requirement, and we trust the various controls to protect our money, credit card and personal inf
Claudiu Lodromanean
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good overview of common web application vulnerabilities and how to protect or exploit them. A little heavy on tools and promoting the author's paid practice website, but the content is very clear and accessible.

Definitely go through Natas at OverTheWire to apply the concepts after reading.
John Chilton
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is a little long winded and a bit dry, so based just on the writing of the book I would have given it two stars. However the book shines in that it has an unconventional perspective and it stands by this perspective. It is written as guide to attacking applications, not securing them. I thought that would be a gimmick and each chapter would be 1/5 how to hack and 4/5 how to defend, but no quite the opposite is true. I am not sure it is the greatest approach to learning the material, bu ...more
Justin
Good too much advertising

Overall, there was a lot of information. I hated the constant use burp suite for this and that. SHUT UP ABOUT BURP SUITE!!! Also, all over the book are links to highly expensive pay by the hour labs that do not even include an answer key. These are used as examples, also. Another thing I dis liked was the last couple of chapters. They barley fit within the book's title.
Ayoub
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
started with this book on 2014 and here we are finished and amazed with the lifetime concepts gleaned from such thick reference, going through its tutorials enables you to witness the revolution of burp suite and how enriches your fundamental perspective on web application inner technology instead of HOW-TOs and kiddies recipes. JSON and XML are getting different through the years but principles never change ...
Enikő
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: security
The content is good. Though is too lengthy and fuzzy. I would suggest to start reading with the last chapter to get an overall idea what will be in the book. I gave it three stars because I think the book could be presented in more easily digestible way. If you plan to read, you should read this book. Suggested.
Padala Srikanth murali krishna
Must Read for Web Application Security Testers

Good read for starters on web application security.Guides us in many ways all through our educational and professional career with easy language.
Erin
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Useful for scoping, but omits finer details for obvious reasons. Almost all sections have examples that you will never see in the wild. Says, "Hack The Planet" on the back, so it's embarassing to carry around. Otherwise, a must-read... more for web app developers than auditors, though.
Alex
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
850 pages of defined wisdom from authors of Burp Suite. From plain simple to nifty tricks, all here with option of paid training on their own platform. As an alternative OWASP's isos can be used for training. Very cool.
Ibrahim Magdy
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old way of testing
Seth
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Dafydd Stuttard (more commonly known as portswigger) is not only an expert in the field of web application penetration testing, but also excels at conveying highly technical concepts with eloquence.
Chris
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although a bit dated, the book is very comprehensive on the subject.
Jimmy O...
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I never got a chance to finish this book.
Stuart
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one will stay front and center on my bookshelf. I'm strongly considering buying the print version. I read mine on safari bookshelf.
Shyam
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend book for beginners in infosec/pentesting
William
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!
John George
Aug 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: developer
Good reference books exposes you to various parts of a web application
Mai
May 30, 2013 added it
it's very old now
i recommend the second edition http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...
Kishor
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive, but redundant at times.
Mcgyver5
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every web developer should read this book.
Freddie Barr-Smith
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great and comprehensive book.
The book title is wrong 1 6 Sep 28, 2011 01:12AM
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • The IDA Pro Book: The Unofficial Guide to the World's Most Popular Disassembler
  • The Practice of Network Security Monitoring: Understanding Incident Detection and Response
  • A Bug Hunter's Diary: A Guided Tour Through the Wilds of Software Security
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • The Art of Software Security Assessment: Identifying and Preventing Software Vulnerabilities
  • Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers
  • Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »