Start by marking “Rick Steves' French Phrase Book and Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' French Phrase Book and Dictionary

Rick Steves' French Phrase Book and Dictionary

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Bonjour! From ordering a cafe au lait in Paris to making new friends in the Loire Valley, it helps to speak some of the native tongue. Rick Steves, bestselling author of travel guides to Europe, offers well-tested phrases and key words to cover every situation a traveler is likely to encounter. This handy guide provides key phrases for use in everyday circumstances, comple ...more
Published May 23rd 2003 by Rick Steves (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' French Phrase Book and Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' French Phrase Book and Dictionary

Melanie
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best book I read in preparation for my first trip to France. The 'what to do when you're being hit on in a discotheque by a slimy chain-wearing guy' section alone was worth the price of the book!
Neuromanced
May 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Please note: if you order "l'eau robinet" (like I did, because this book told me to) when you want tap water in restaurant, you may be laughed at (like I was) and told you should actually say, "une carafe d'eau."
Margaret
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it
This is such a helpful little book. Pocket size so you can take it with you. Instead of just being a dictionary. It is full of phrases with an easy description of how to sound it out. And is categorized by what you need it for "Eating out", "Taking a taxi", etc.
Tammy
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
A great resource to study before and use during a trip to france. Just the right size to carry with you.
Rosalie
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Includes great things like "I lost my wallet" and "The ATM ate my card." Which in 2007, I didn't think was still possible, but it happened and I was able to address it.
Thomas
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very useful (and small enough to fit in your pocket) guide to the mandatory French for Travelers. After studying this book on my bus commute for three months, I was functionally communicative for all of the things that came up during our 2 week trip through France. It's the usual Rick Steves fare - all the basics infused with his quirky humor. A must for travelers to France, especially if you plan to travel outside of the major cities.
Jen
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
I speak enough French to survive in France without assistance if I had to, but why do that when I have this handy little guidebook? Seriously, this book brought back to memory much of the vocabulary I learned in high school and college. I didn't really need to use it much, but it was a great refresher. If I didn't speak any French, it would have been a lifesaver. My husband actually referred to the book quite a bit because he doesn't speak French.
Pollopicu
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I ordered this little book days before my trip to Paris, and I don't know how I would've gotten along without it. I admit, I was already familiar with the French language before ordering it, but it was just what I needed to cohesively bring the language together, and confidently for my trip.

I don't think I would ever travel without Rick Steve's little phrase books.
James
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it
We selected this phrase book after looking at four different French phase books. Each book's phonetic hints for proper pronunciation differ but found this one suited our needs best. Main concern was to learn to read a menu. No eels for us. Note-be sure to search your suitcase carefully. We took ours but didn't find it until we returned home. And no, we didn't eat eel.
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful, especially for my husband (who has limited French skills) when ordering out.
Thinkmilly
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Best little book that saved my butt when I visited Paris in 05.
Jacqueline Mott
Helpful in communicating a bit of French but made me realize how much I need French lessons.
Annette Davis
Apr 23, 2017
Richard Ortisi
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves