Start by marking “Emma and the Blue Genie” as Want to Read:
Emma and the Blue Genie

Emma and the Blue Genie

What if a genie had no wishes?

Cornelia Funke, New York Times bestselling author of Inkheart, brings her signature imagination, adventure, and humor to the youngest of middle-grade readers in this charming tale of magic lost and found.

One dark night, Emma finds a mysterious green bottle floating in the ocean. When she pulls out the stopper, she sets a blue genie free!
Most
Published October 14th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

Start your review of Emma and the Blue Genie
Ree
The older I get the more I find myself drawn to children's books again. They hold a special kind of magic in their simplicity. And this book is no exception.
Nancy Kotkin
A little girl finds a bottle on the beach containing a magical genie whose nose ring, which controls his powers to some unclear extent, has been stolen by an evil genie. The girl and her dog accompany the genie on a quest to get back his magic. Lots of description but not quite enough action for a children's chapter book.
Vicki
It was fine -- I actually only just found out that this book was translated from its original German, and that makes a ton of sense. There are some odd linguistic choices. I think the basic concept of the story is fun, and interesting. A girl is whisked away to a magical land where she helps a land that has been blackmailed by an evil genie -- seems kind of fun. But to be honest, the first few pages of just Emma's life at home on the shore was more interesting to me. Something about it just ...more
Sara Siegesmund
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Review from my 6 year old:
5 stars because it was super cool with the blue genie and nose ring adventure. we got to find out how the blue genie gets his power and nose ring back.

my opinion- good adventure story that held her attention, but vocabulary was difficult; possibly due to translation (I had to look up dromedary!!)
Jayce Senter
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We listened to the audiobook and Cornelia reads it herself. She is utterly charming and I love that I can share her lovely story in her beautiful accent with my kiddos! If you have not had the privilege of meeting Cornelia watch and fall head over heels in love with her.

Tasha
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Emma often spends her nights out by the sea with her dog, away from her pesky brothers. One night she finds a bottle floating in the waves and opens it to discover Karim, a very small blue genie inside. Karim has had most of his magic stolen away when Sarim, the huge yellow genie, stole his nose ring and trapped him in the bottle. Now Karim has to head back to avenge himself and to save the kingdom from the evil rule of Sarim. Emma decides to go with him and she sets off aboard his magic carpet ...more
Emily Andrus
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Funke originally wrote the story back in 2002 in her native German. The story itself is pretty adorable, with little spots of good humor and imagination. It's rather fairy-tale-esque with a clear villain, hero, and clear consequences. The translation, however, is not my favorite. Just released this year in English, Latsch seemed to have forgotten the story is targeted towards kids. I mean, couldn't you have put in "camel" instead of "dromedary"? Basically, the language (vocabulary and structure) ...more
Bekka
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Edelweiss and Random House Books for Young Readers for early access to this title.

2 1/2 stars -

This was ok, I guess, and perhaps kids will like it. I found it to be fairly cliché and not very original. I also didn't particularly like the illustrations. They were that kind of sloppy modern style, and I didn't feel they had very much charm. This would be a good book for beginning readers, as the book is short and fairly simple. Given Cornelia Funke's reputation, I was just hoping for
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
My child doesn’t want to read this book anymore. She’s on page 63.

Review from my child:

Emma is trying to get the nose ring back but she keeps not getting it. Nothing cool is happening, Emma is just walking around talking to people.
Wrenna
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
This is about a girl and a genie who lost his nose ring. They have to get it back from this other, yellow (I think that's kind of weird). This wasn't my favorite Cornelia Funke book, but it was pretty good.
Jennifer Bowman
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit too simplistic of a story. There wasn't much charm and the characters were pretty flat.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

This is a great adventure story. I loved the silliness and excitement of the plot. The characters are fairly simple, but it works for young readers. I did like Emma's character.

It's a quick read, but a lot of fun. Great descriptions.

Also, the audiobook is read by Cornelia Funke, which makes listening to it all the more amazing.

Good read. Very much enjoyed.
Jeanna Kunce
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute story and well written (of course!) by Ms. Funke. I enjoyed the simple ending with the wishes, although I felt Emma could've had more of a role in the rescue. My kiddos especially enjoyed the funny parts with Emma's dog, Tristan.
Jillian Anderson
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Doug Wilhelm
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A fantastic kid's adventure, drawing on the richness of the Arabian Nights storytelling tradition. Who can resist a flying carpet, an alluring but tragedy-plagued desert kingdom, and a magic-charged battle between two genies? One of the very best children's books.
Julie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidreads
Not our favorite of all Cornelia Funke's work, but still fun to read aloud with my younger kids. :)
Jessica 'sikora' arendt
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a magical adventure. The writing style was beautiful and descriptive, and the characters were strong and lovable.
Kami
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this read by the author so the accent was fantastic! Listened with my young daughter and it was great.
Brenda
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: early-readers
I didn't care for this one at all, and just found it mostly boring.
Savannah
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid kids book that my 4 year old really loved. It was full of enough action to keep her attention at bedtime. :-)
LJF
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the magical pen of Cornelia Funke comes a charming read for the youter set.
BookishBat
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, kids
Cute short read! Cornelia Funke does it again. I love how genies are portrayed in this and wish I could read about Emma after this book!
Nathan
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Fast, simple story. Reminiscent of Roald Dahl.
Cat Gray
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet story. The illustrations were perfect!
Hilarie
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun book that my daughter and I read together.
Tiffany
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, magic
A wonderful story for the whole family!
Harley Bennett
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book for younger readers.
Hope
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Adorable children's book with illustrations- perfect for reading along with the little ones!
Valerie Lurquin
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to this story on a CD and enjoyed it. It is beautifully illustrated and takes readers on an Arabian journey with Emma and her dog, Tristan. Emma was unable to sleep one night and went for walk. She found a green bottle floating in the ocean and upon opening it she let out a blue genie named Karim. This particular genie has lost his power of granting three wishes since the yellow genie stole his magic nose ring. Since the blue genie has the help of Emma and her dog, they are going to ...more
Angie
Emma spends her evenings on the beach away from her four pesky brothers. One night she sees a blue bottle floating in the water. It holds a small genie named Karim. Karim has been imprisoned by the evil genie Sarim, who stole his nose ring and his powers. Emma goes with Karim back to Barakash to help him get his powers back. Sarim loves everything yellow and takes an immediate interest in Emma's blonde hair. With the help of the caliph of Barakash Maimun, Karim and Emma are able to restore ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Real Pigeons Fight Crime
  • Mars Exploration Rovers: An Interactive Space Exploration Adventure (You Choose: Space)
  • Draw-It-Yourself Adventures: Alien Attack
  • The Pirate Ghost (Hardy Boys Clue Book, #7)
  • Cross Fire: An Original Companion Novel (Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice)
  • Space Taxi: The Galactic B.U.R.P.
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Vietnam: A History of the War
  • The 52-Storey Treehouse
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up
  • First to the Last Place on Earth (Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels, #18)
  • Bubble in the Bathtub (Doctor Proctor #2)
  • The 26-Storey Treehouse
  • The Lost Stone (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #1)
  • Fairy Tale Comics: Classic Tales Told by Extraordinary Cartoonists
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Listen, Slowly
  • The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.