Start by marking “Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)

Beyond the Dark Portal

(World of Warcraft #4)

The aging orc shaman Ner'zhul has seized control of the Horde and reopened the Dark Portal. His brutal warriors once again encroach upon Azeroth, laying siege to the newly constructed stronghold of Nethergarde Keep. There, the archmage Khadgar and the Alliance commander, Turalyon, lead humanity and its elven and dwarven allies in fighting this new invasion.

Even so, distu

Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 24th 2008 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Dark Portal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Dark Portal

Ahmad Sharabiani
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beyond the Dark Portal (World of Warcraft #4), Aaron Rosenberg, Christie Golden
World of Warcraft: Beyond the Dark Portal is a fantasy novel written by Aaron S. Rosenberg and Christie Golden. Two years following the defeat of the Horde and destruction of the Dark Portal from Draenor to Azeroth, a small dimensional rift remains linking the two worlds. The orc shaman Ner'Zhul is approached by orc champions resurrected as undead death-knights, with a plan to re-open the Portal and catch the Alliance
Markus
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, warcraft
“Long have I dreamed of death. I have seen him, spoken with him. I have seen the death of my people, the death of all I have loved. And this—this image I wear to honor that. I did not wish to come forth, but I now believe that I owe it to my people to lead them once more.”

The invasion of Azeroth has ended in disastrous failure for the Horde. The evil leaders Blackhand and Gul’dan lie dead on foreign soil, and even the great Orgrim Doomhammer has been defeated by the forces of the Alliance. The l
Leeanna
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
World of Warcraft: Beyond the Dark Portal, by Aaron Rosenberg and Christie Golden

"Beyond the Dark Portal" is a novelization of the video game Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal. Because it is a novelization, the authors are somewhat limited in what they can do, but all said, it's a decent novel for Warcraft fans. I found it particularly useful for background on the previous Warcraft games, because while I haven't played them I have been an avid World of Warcraft player for a few years.

While mo
Jay Schmitt
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you are one of the 12 million people playing The World of Warcraft MMORPG (massive multiplayer online role playing game) you will appreciate how this book incorporates the game lore into the current game play in The Burning Crusade. Lots of reference to familiar quests and characters while being a very easy and enjoyable read. Finished just in time for Wrath of the Lich King. Just a quick word about the game from a non game player, if you really enjoy immersing yourself into a great fantasy e ...more
Vojtěch
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
O něco slabší než předchozí díl. Tak jsem zvědav, co nás čeká dál.
Theresa
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
If ever I think I could make it through a war story, this book proved to me I cannot. A lot of these World Of Warcraft books are showing me that. Too much for my sensitive heart.

This book gave me more Turalyon and Alleria. In full bloom love too. Well they had to fight to get there, but what's a little angst in the midst of war? I have become very attached to the alliance through these books and I truly didn't think that was possible. I miss stories of orcs being good people and not just blood l
Isabel
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.75
Adrian
Sep 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Don't bother. It's not just as bad as the previous one, this one somehow manages to be worse!

Brace yourselves as SPOILERS start below.

(view spoiler)
Peji Da
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book
"You have been betrayed repeatedly, each time by another orc claiming leadership, and still you continue down that same path," Rcxxar said softly, though his eyes burned with rage. "You have no reason left to fight! Before, we fought to protect our people by claiming this world for them. But they are gone! We no longer need this world! With the handful left, you could find a place the humans have never gone and claim it without shedding a single drop of blood!"
"Where would be the glory in that?
Ann
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm honestly loving the World of Warcraft books! Nonstop action, great characters, and heart stopping suspense! For someone like me, who cannot play the games due to a visual impairment, I'm really enjoying these novels! If you are someone like myself, who could not play these games, however still enjoy fantasy, definitely pick up these books! Everything in this series so far, has been self explanatory, and extremely understandable when it comes to the different world and the characters I'm able ...more
Kellie
I love WoW lore and this book, along with the other books regarding Draenor, really helped me understand how the orcs came to Azeroth. Their history with the Draenei was sad...such senseless slaughter, all at the hands of a greedy Sargeras and his minions. But that's for another day. I high enjoyed all of the Dark Portal books in which Khadgar plays a prominent role. Two thumbs up!
Andre
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, games
You can tell, that this here was written many, many years after the game since you have tons of species and elements in it that have been invented only after World of Warcraft was launched, like Arakoa, Draenei etc.
So, I would say book and game don't have much in common.
Ru Viljoen
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed reading this, but continually note the poor quality of the storytelling.
Kim
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Just to clarify all my World of Warcraft and Warcraft book reviews. If you played the games, the stars are correct. If you didn't, subtract 2 stars from all of my reviews.
Jason Ray Carney
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Larper
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing sequel to Tides of Darkness.

I loved Turalyon's and Alleria's romantic story, although it was a little bit confusing in the beginning because I felt I missed part of the story because I didn't understand their conflict.

It was amazing to see the first boss raid in history of Warcraft, when Ragnok, Fenris and Tagar enter the Tomb of Sargeras to retrieve the Scepter of Sargeras. They got that phat loot! :D

I liked Ner'zhul's turn of character but I didn't love it. His main motive was rede
Kramer Thompson
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Another engaging and interesting Warcraft book. This one is fairly true to the usual formula of these books, involving a lot of fighting and traveling around the Warcraft universe. The most significant difference is that this one may have been even more interesting than the average Warcraft book. Overall, an enjoyable read.
PJ Lehman
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story and dialog throughout the entire read. It was hard to put the book down because something exciting was always happening. Being a long time Blizzard fan from the days of Diablo and Warcraft 2, these Warcraft books are a treat to get into the lore instead of the game play.
Gabriel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
It is not my favorite World of Warcraft book, but it is very amused.

It is a little story after Gul'dan died. The alliance and the horde fight again.

I recommend this book to all those who like the World of Warcraft.
Krysztina
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, warcraft
Tom Christiansen
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Fans of Warcraft will likely enjoy this adventure that focuses on the Dark Portal, and the Alliance's first foray through it. Popular characters rise to prominence while some attain infamy within this story.
Spikkee
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasia
Solo para fans de Warcraft

La historia es interesante pero tienes que conocer la historia de Azeroth y Draenor o al menos haber juego los Warcraft 1 y 2.
Angélica González
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Great start, weak in the middle
John Carlo
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a WoW player, I trully appreciate it and I did quickly related. A must read yes.
Alyssa
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blizzard
Definitely not my favorite. I thought it was way too long.
Selina Scott
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much lore

It was a great read, and I love when lore comes to life like this. Plus, I love me some Christie Golden
Jp Malartre
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great lore-filled Warcraft novel. Tells the tale of Turalyon, Alleria, Kadghar, etc. very well. Not a boring moment. Couldn't put it down.
Jordan Grieve
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Tells the story of the Warcraft 2 expansion. Christie Golden elevates the writing. A decent story.
Laurent
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
nice intriguing story
Shannon
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
For what it is, a book about video game characters, it's well done. For me it helped fill in some lore gaps regarding The Outlands and Burning Crusade expansion.

• Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
Aaron Rosenberg is an award-winning, bestselling novelist, children’s book author, and game designer. He's written original fiction (including the NOOK-bestselling humorous science fiction novel No Small Bills, the Dread Remora space-opera series, and the O.C.L.T. supernatural thriller series), tie-in novels (including the PsiPhi winner Collective Hindsight for Star Trek: SCE, the Daemon Gates tri ...more

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)
“Perhaps,” the half-breed admitted. “But why fight when there is no need? Why fight just for its own sake? That is not fighting to save anyone, or to win anything, or even for glory. It is fighting from sheer bloodlust, from love of violence alone. And I am sick of that. I want no part of it.” 2 likes