Start by marking “A Kiss by Design (Kiss & Tell, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Kiss by Design (Kiss & Tell, #1)

A Kiss by Design (Kiss & Tell #1)

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
What's a girl to do when her best friend is making a mistake? Stop him, of course. College sophomore Emily Dilbert has been best friends with Dylan Chamberlain since they were kids. All she wants is for him to be happy and she knows him better than anyone. That's why when she finds an engagement ring in his backpack she has to stop him from marrying the wrong girl. Dylan C ...more
Published November 27th 2013 by Cah LLC (first published November 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss by Design

Katy
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for falling-for-your-best-friend romances, and this would have been right up my alley... Had it not been for the excessive drama and over-justification that Dylan and Emily were right for each other.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Dylan. He was sweet, caring, reliable and everything a girl would want in a guy. And I really liked Emily too - when she wasn't being a psycho schemer. So of course, it felt natural for someone to root for them to end up together.

But like I said, I felt a lot
Kim
****Rating updated 12/27****

The author contacted me after seeing my review and offered me a final copy of the book that contained two chapters not in the review copy. The two extra chapters made a huge difference in the book! I wanted Emily and Dylan together and I got it! I feel like Emily and Dylan's story is complete now. Thank you, Christy, for reaching out and allowing me to read the changes you made!

Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

A Kiss by Design was a cute upper YA/NA
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Christy Hayes and Netgalley.)
Emily has been dating Zach for years, but she’s also best friends with his brother Dylan, and feels like her relationship with Zach wouldn’t work without Dylan.

Zach is planning to ask Emily to marry him, and gives the ring to Dylan for safe keeping, unfortunately though Emily sees it in his bag, and incorrectly assumes that Dylan is going to ask another girl to marry
Jackie (Jackie's Book World)
*Review can also be found at Jackie's Book World :)*

I really enjoyed reading A Kiss by Design, it had an interesting plot and characters. Christy Hayes did a good job executing the story as well as describing what each other the main characters were feeling/thinking by adding their point-of-views as well.

Emily Dilbert is a college sophomore, who is content with her boyfriend and friends. She knows that whenever she is in need of help her best friend, Dylan, will always be there. But it all soon
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, trusting Dylan has been in love with Emily since they were kids, but he never got up the nerve to tell her. After she started dating his superstar athlete brother in high school, all seemed lost. He tried to settle for being her best friend, hoping deep down that eventually Zach and Emily would break up, and yet the couple persevered and were still together. When Zach asks Dylan to hold on to an engagement ring for Emily until Zach can find the right time to propose, Dylan is heartbroken ...more
Aj
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I recieved an ARC for an honest review of this book*
This was the first book I have read by Christy Hayes and I have to say I was captivated from the start! The first chapter had me hooked. We have a story about Dylan, Emily & Zach. Dylan is love with his brothers long time GF Emily. Now Emily & Dylan are best friends. While Zach is off playing college football at another school, Emily & Dylan are at school together. I just love Dylan! He is always there for Emily no matter what. Wel
Casey
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

A Kiss by Design is the first book I have ever read by Christy Hayes, so I didn't really know what I should expect when I first started this one. I was really intrigued by the blurb though, and I knew I just had to read this story. There were things that I really liked about this book, and then there were things that I didn't really care for. But for the most part, I found this story to be a quick and enjoyable read.

Emily has been best friends
LPJ
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it

Hmm. This book started off fairly good with all of the yummy tension of a best friends to lovers story with the added complication of Emily having dated best-friend Dylan's brother for the past five years.

On one hand, Hayes handled this very realistically. She didn't shy away from the messiness of the situation at all. On the other hand, the situation became incredibly convoluted - especially with the addition of perspectives from Emily's three roommates, plus Dylan's brother (and Emily
Lustful Literature
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
**DEBBIE'S REVIEW**

What happens when your best friend since high school is about to make the biggest mistake of his life? Well that is what you think when you find an engagement ring in his backpack. All of sudden jealousy and the fear makes you see things everyone else can see. You are in love with him. What happens when it is your boyfriends’ brother that you have been dating for 5 years?

After Emily finds the ring she is on a mission to prove to Dylan he is making a big mistake. She ropes her
Steph
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
***Edit -bumping my review up to 4 stars after receiving an additional two chapters from the author...thanks Christy, just what the book needed in my opinion!***

Emily thinks she has everything she wants in life...going to a school she loves, great friends and a boyfriend who she has spent the last five years with...that is until she finds an engagement ring in his brothers back pack and is forced to examine her feelings for him.

Dylan has been in love with Emily for as long as he can rem
Connie McElfresh
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free for a fair and honest review. Emily is best friends with Dylan and dates Dylan's brother Zach the star football team player at another college Zach has decided that him and Emily are going to get married and gives the ring to Dylan to hold. Of course Emily finds the ring and jumps to the wrong conclusion, at the same time Emily & Dylan are discovering feeling for each other. Most if the book I thought that Zach was very selfish, the only time I felt he was human ...more
Lori Clark
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has been in a relationship where they are settling and don't want to leave their comfort zone this is a great book for you. I loved how this author presented her characters. It is very refreshing to have a strong leading lady but not over the top with thinking she can do no wrong. Its a book filled with love and great friends that aren't afraid to tell you the truth. Definitely a must read.
Nina
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought I might like it in the beginning. It started out as a sweet fluffy new adult story between best friends. But that changed fast. There were too many misunderstandings, too much deceive, too much grief, too many POVs. There were too many negative feelings for me to feel anything positive about the relationship between the two main characters. The book was more of a way to introduce all the characters whose stories might be told in future installments.

Full review coming soon
Kayla West
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emily and Dylan...what can I say? Well, for one thing, Dylan is a sweetheart. He is totally willing to disregard the feelings he has had for Emily since they were children in order to give her the happiness he so believes that she wants to be a part of. But, seriously dude, family is family and love is love, and sometimes family is just not enough when you truly love someone. I felt so sad for him throughout some of this book. He truly is conflicted. He does not want to hurt anyone, but yet ever ...more
Tabby
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy of this ebook from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Emily has been best friends with Dylan since they were kids. He secretly pines for her, while she is head over heels for his older brother Zach. Now in college, Dylan swears to cut Emily out of his life to get over her. And when his brother asks for a favor, Dylan is more determined than ever to get over his crush. Especially when that favor is holding a ring that Zach plans on using to propose to
SweetSweeede
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I was recommended this book via Amazon, as I've previously purchased another book by Christy Hayes, which I've yet to read. I really hope the other book is different. The writing was fine, the characters also. But maybe I had too high expectations, because it just left me feeling nothing about the couple.

Reading other reviews, I'm getting the feeling there was a previous version where the book ended before it does now (with a love scene). That might explain why the last scene felt a bit added-on
Holly Price
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
ARC copy provided by Netgalley for an honest review.......
I wish there was an option for 3 1/2 stars. I'm normally a round upper, but I can't make myself do it if I view this as a standalone story. I like the characters, so I'll keep up with the series.

Emily and Dylan have been best friends since 2nd grade and he's been in love with her for years. The problem is that Emily had been dating Dylan's brother, Zach, for the last 5 years. As Zach is finishing college and his coach advised to focus o
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
Thank you to Netgalley and Christy Hayes for giving me a copy to review
Find more reviews on http://nobentspines.blogspot.com/

2.5

REVIEW

Cute and light-hearted with a hint of scandal and a love that’s fire burned out long ago, A KISS BY DESIGN is a note-worthy story, but didn’t earn a spot on my ‘favorites’ shelf. Want to know why? Keep reading the rant!

College sophomore, Emily is content. She has a boyfriend who cares more about football than anything else, the most amazing friends ever and her bo
Melissa
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was gifted a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review of the book.

Emily Dilbert and Dylan Chamberlain are best friends and sophomores in college together. Emily has been dating Dylan's older brother Zach for 5 years and Zach is the star quarterback at another college. One weekend while Zach is visiting Emily, he asks for Dylan's help in hiding an engagement ring for her. At this point, Dylan realizes that he and Emily will always be friends. The same night that Zac
Zili
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review!

I'm a sucker for a love-gone-wrong or a people-dating-the-wrong-person story (A Midsummer Night's Dream, anybody?) and that's what attracted me to A Kiss by Design. Emily is best friends with Dylan and has been dating Dylan's older brother Zach for years. Dylan has been secretly in love with Emily forever and faces a constant battle to hide it.

Some parts of the story were really funny - The scenes where Emily finds the ring in Dylan's bag and de
Danielle Campbell
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Emily finds an engagement ring in her best friend Dylan's bag, she decides she HAS to stop him from marrying the wrong girl. Little does she know that Dylan is just holding the ring for his older brother, Zach, who is planning to Emily after he graduates in the spring. Emily is hurt that that she did not realize Dylan and his new girlfriend, Denise were even that serious. She calls on her roommates to try to seduce him but when that does not work, Emily decides to up the ante and seduce him ...more
Jaime Fiction Fangirls Book Review
My Review: 4 Stars
A very well written story. I fell in love with Dylan and Emily right away. I didn't care for Zach and actually wondered how he could be so oblivious about Emily's feelings. I don't understand why Emily stayed with him for so long. I realize the relationship was comfortable for her, but being so far away from each other didn't make it very convenient.
I sort of can't reconcile the fact that everyone besides Emily new that Dylan was in love with her for years and never thought it
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, fiction, romance
"A Kiss by Design" is a new adult story about Dylan, a sort of dorky college guy, who is in love with the beautiful Emily. There's just one problem though! Emily happens to be dating Zach and Zach is Dylan's much cooler brother. When Zach gives the engagement ring that he hopes to give to Emily to Dylan to hold on for safe-keeping, Dylan knows that he really should come clean.

I've read a couple books by Christy Hayes before and she writes some pretty good romances. It took me a little while to g
Tonda Stockwell
I have been in the mood to read stories about best friend's brother's and whatnot as the main love interest.. but I didn't even register that when I picked this book to read today.

I was impressed that the author didn't have the boyfriend forgive them right away, despite the fact that he seemed to have reserves about their relationship anyway. It even mentioned that he wasn't freaking out the way he should have at the thought of him and Em breaking up, but when push came to shove and it actually
AJ Fairchild
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, egalley
more info about this book can be found on SoParanormal

A Kiss By Design was a sweet, light, story about dealing with your feelings when you are with the wrong person. It was clear right away who the main character, Emily should be with, and the plot works steadily toward the goal until the end. Along the way we meet Emily's roommates, and the hottie neighbor next door (I'm hoping we'll see more of Dash later in the series!).

I really liked the relationship Emily had with both her roommates and w
Evette
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Best friend love. Dylan and Emily have been friends forever. Just as he’s about to admit his affection and ask her out his older brother Zack steps in. He dazzles Emily. Fast forward four plus years. Emily and Zack are still together, but things are off. Emily is starting to question their bond, their relationship has been so focused on him and his life. What has always worked isn’t enough anymore. What does it mean that Zack is her bf yet Dylan is her person-always there, reliable, there to tal ...more
Kim
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book at all.
It felt too unrealistic and boring.
The whole entire book is about the two main characters relationship and NOTHING ELSE, no other story line to keep you entertained through out the book, no real complications or unexpected twists.
The female lead charachter feels really weak and none of the characters have any real depth to them.
I don't see any trace of this deep friendship the blurb is talking about and the story just came out SO FLAT to me. I got too da
Erin
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book may not be the best book I have ever read in the New Adult genre as it's a very quick read than most NA books I have come across lately. However, with that being said, I thought the storyline was still quite refreshing for its genre as sex did not play a major part in this book whatsoever (though some 'sexual' things were implied but very innocently etc) which most NA books usually play off from if you know what I mean.

But in terms of the characters, whether you love them or hate them,
Amy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

This is the story of Dylan and Emily who have been best friends for years. Dylan is in love with Emily but she has been dating his brother Zach since high school. After finding an engagement ring in Dylan's backpack Emily concocts this scheme with her friends to get Dylan not to propose to his girlfriend.

I felt like there was a lot of drama that could have been cleared up with the main characters talking to each oth
Kimberly
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Kiss by Design is not your typical love story. Emily and Zach have dated since high school and appear to be the perfect couple until Emily finds the engagement ring Dylan (Zach's brother) is holding for Zach. From this point Emily begins questioning her feelings for Dylan as she assumes he is making a mistake by proposing to another woman. Dylan is everything Zach isn't. He's sensitive, caring, and always there for Emily but he's also Zach's brother and Emily's best friend. Christy Hayes does ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A kiss by Design 1 5 Jan 03, 2014 03:56PM
  • Sky High (Attraction #3)
  • Popping the Cherry (Facing the Music, #1)
  • Asleep (Fairytale Collection #2)
  • Anya and the Shy Guy (Backstage Pass #4)
  • The One That Got Away (Kingston Ale House #1)
  • Cherry Tart
  • His Until Midnight
  • The Twilight Swimmer
  • The Billionaire's Christmas Proposal
  • One Night with the Billionaire (Men of the Zodiac, #9)
  • French Kissed (International School, #3)
  • Cowboys & Kisses (Teens of Black Falls Texas, #1)
  • Broken Prince (Cinderella, #2)
  • The Trouble with Mojitos (Westerwald Trilogy #2)
  • Finding Perfect (Finding Perfect #1)
  • Daisy and the Front Man (Backstage Pass, #3)
  • The CEO's Unexpected Child (Millionaires of Manhattan, #4)
  • The Engagement Game (49th Floor, #3)
My husband and I live outside Atlanta, Georgia, with our two children and two dogs. I have a journalism degree from the University of Georgia (Go Dawgs!) and I’m a member of Romance Writers of America. I’ve been writing seriously since 2004 and made the decision to indie publish in 2011.

I write romance and romantic women’s fiction from my little basement office in the South. I’ve cooked up all kin
More about Christy Hayes

Kiss & Tell (2 books)
  • A Kiss by the Book (Kiss & Tell, Book 2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be