Start by marking “Enchanted Pilgrimage” as Want to Read:
Enchanted Pilgrimage

Enchanted Pilgrimage

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  411 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
A manuscript is stolen from a library & from a young man's obstinate questions emerges an answer of stupendous import as the quest for an elder civilization becomes a terrifying ordeal.
The Wastelands were a realm of magic where no one ventured. Along the borders, the Little People pursued their ancient ways. But the interior was populated by all the dread creatures of
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published August 12th 1983 by Del Rey (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanted Pilgrimage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanted Pilgrimage

Terence
Apr 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Subject for Debate: "I didn't know it until then, but then I did. There is a buried slut in every woman. It takes the touch of the right man's hand to bring it out."

Discuss!

The quote above is the nadir of Simak's Enchanted Pilgrimage, a mercifully brief novel that simply didn't work at all for me. The characters, especially Mark the "hero," are unlikeable and uninteresting; the story disjointed, poorly written and poorly paced.

I can't in good conscience recommend it.
Metaphorosis
3 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

On an alternate Earth, shared by fae and human, the chance discovery of an ancient manuscript triggers a quest that brings three worlds together.

I've become a big fan of Clifford Simak's small town mundania - big stories that happen in litle places, without much drama. However, it's books like Enchanted Pilgrimage that explain why, when I knew only his mid-period novels, I was less impressed.

Here, while the setting is interesting, and the conclusion intriguing, the
Иван Величков
И друг път съм казвал, че Саймък не може да пише фентъзи, ама от една носталгия продължавам да ги чета тези книжки. Въпреки, че тази по-скоро бих я определил като наивен хибрид между фантастичното и приказното.
Като прескочим отвратителната корица, историята вътре за почва много добре, даже започва с много силен абзац:
"Таласъмът внимателно наблюдаваше монаха. Той пък от своя страна шпионираше учения. Таласъмът мразеше монаха и то не без причина. Монахът не мразеше, но и не обичаше никого: беше фа
Bill
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What and odd and strange little story!

At times it came off as the easiest young-adult fantasy/fiction, but then the moments of sexual tension and cursing recalled that it indeed was something other.

Some parts seem choppy between sequences, and really only one section seemed to drag a little too long.

I did not recall from a previous reading the elements of Christianity that were woven throughout the story.

By the end, it winds up being a sort of "kitchen sink" sci-fi/fantasy, as nearly every eleme
Mairi
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mitte just esimene selline Simak, kus leidub üks loll, kes kavatseb mingite aadete või püha tõe nimel on valmis minema mingile hullumeelsele retkele. Teel räägib ta oma loo valimatult igasugustele pooletoobistele, kes koheselt saapad jalga lükkavad, kirve õlale haaravad ja temaga kaasa tulevad. Keegi ei te, kuhu või miks ja mis pagan siin üldse mõistusega pistmist on... :D Hea meelelahutus on. Ja meeldivama tõlkega kui Talismani Vennaskond.
Jerry
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely story. On the face of it it’s a standard quest. Mark Cornwall discovers an old reference in a library to something hidden in the wasteland, and decides to follow it. A rafter goblin sees him and, saving him from a malicious school official, joins his quest.

There is a lost girl, a woodsman, a talking animal, a shifty old witch, and a tin man. A magic sword and a shining steed.

But they add up to something very different.
João Sousa
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argonauta
There are trolls, a manuscript and a slight touch of science fiction. So yes, this is a Clifford D. Simak book. Sometimes it seems that Simak wrote just one long text and always fluctuates around the same story and characters, and this "Enchanted Pilgrimage" is not an exception. Actually, this is a book that represents very well his body of work: not really exceptional, not bad at all, well written and trapped in the same magical world.
Chasbhawk
Feb 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing enough that I only made it 100 pages into the book before I had to stop, and I rarely do that. The dialogue was wooden, some vaguely interesting plot ideas, but the characters were so black and white (and human, despite most of them not being human at all) that I just couldn't relate. After reading City I was interested in other Simak works, but this damped my enthusiasm.
Sheryl Tribble
I liked it. I found the dialogue oddly stilted for a while. I think he was trying to portray the sort of formality you'll find in some apparently casual agrarian communities, but it felt like an outsider version of it. Sympathetic, rather than spot on.
🐢Eliza {Bat Tziyon}🌸
This is probably one of the most fascinating books I have read so far. I just couldn't put it down. I couldn't even sleep because it kept me so captivated. Both the style and the plot were great in my opinion! Definitely a must read for everyone who enjoys good fantasy and/or sci fi.
Erik Graff
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Simak fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I picked this up at a used bookstore because it was a cheap hardcover, because I recognized the author as a prominent science fiction writer and despite the fact that it was a fantasy novel--after all, not ALL fantasy novels are trash...

Sadly, this was no Gormenghast.
Sasha
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
С каждой страницей набор персонажей становится все внезапнее и внезапнее.
Steve Rainwater
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This novel purports to be fantasy, so I was not terribly interested but because it's Simak I thought it worth a shot.

As it turns out, the claim of being fantasy is a bit of a bluff. It starts out with dwarves, fairies, and magic. Before long you get robots, aliens, time travel, alternate timelines and other science fiction elements. The couching of a fantasy-like story in a science fiction structure may be too much for some readers but the book is full of friendly and likable Simakian characters
Susan Rainwater
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Enchanted Pilgrimage is Simak in Tolkien mode. A little band of fantasy characters – 3 humans, a rafter goblin, a dwarf, and several other creatures – go on an ill-defined quest and have adventures. If you’re a Simak fan, this is a fun read, but it hasn’t held up well in the 40+ years since its publication. Still, it gets 3 stars from me.
Sheri
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you combine humans, sci-fi extraterrestrials, and fantasy characters such as gnomes, trolls, etc. and send them on a dangerous journey? A Clifford Simak novel. Quite a fun read, with unexpected twists & turns.
Craig Russo
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Another masterpiece by Mr. Simak! I had a little trouble keeping the characters straight so pay attention to them if you pick this book up.
Otis W. Doss III
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
More fantasy than sci-fi. Fun read.
Christian Schwoerke
I recall reading Clifford D. Simak in my mid-teens, before venturing off to college where I felt I should set aside childish things. Nonetheless, during that short span I read quite a number of his novels and recall The Goblin Reservation (1969) as being a rekindling of the old man’s skills, which I felt had waned with some of the novels he’d written in the mid to late 60s.

On a recent trip to Hay-on-Wye, a tiny Welsh village just on the English border, which has more than 20 books stores, I enc
Sverre
Simak has thrown all the regular ingredients for a fantasy quest into the blender, and then he almost added the blender as well. To appeal to sci-fi fans he includes a motorcycle, camera and photographs, an automatic rifle and a robot which has gestated from outer space beings! All the action takes place on earth in an environment which is circa 10th century but somehow also straddles the 20th century. A third time frame is also involved.

I really enjoyed Simak's descriptive prose and off the wal
Joanna
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Aaron Million
Jul 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book came as a big disappointment to me. Perhaps unfairly, anytime I read Simak I judge the work in comparison to City, which is one of my favorite books ever. So, I was pre-disposed to like this one despite not being overly impressed with the previous two Simak books that I read. Nonetheless, this story never really seemed to get going for me, and of the now-four Simak books that I have read, this is by far my least-liked story.

The plot really never made sense to me from the very beginning
Simon Mcleish
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in August 2001.

Like The Goblin Reservationn, Enchanted Pilgrimage puts together a large number of ideas in a light fantasy setting. Its plot is a traditional quest by a small group of travellers, who go into the Wasteland, home of magical creatures and a place from where humans are generally barred, to search out the Old Ones. They encounter several strange, and sometimes not completely clear even to the reader, individuals who are none of them quite what the
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Enchanted Pilgrimage is a story filled with many of the mythical creatures that have come to be expected in a fantasy novel. Also, the story is always on the move since the characters are on a quest. But, the story does not move all that fast and not a whole lot seems to happen.

As I was reading, I found my mind wandering a lot. The book just wasn't keeping my interest. Sure, a lot of things happen in the book as they travel across the land, but I found myself not really involved with the storyl
Alien
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It starts off as a nice harmless fantasy book. More for children or young adults. The story uses the old, old cliche of THE QUEST.
But OK, it was still fairly entertaining. But then the author starts introducing more and more new characters and elements. Suddenly there are science fiction elements. Things get weirder and weirder.
Towards the end the whole thing falls apart.
And I was fairly disappointed. This is the second book of Simak that I read (in recent years, the ones I read decades ago,
Joe Santoro
The back of the book calls this 'a Journey back to the Present', but, really, there's no such journey. This is a pretty vanilla 'dungeon crawl' story, that could easily be someone's RPG game. The characters gather, the roles are their, there's a maiden in distress the hero saves, etc. The 'hook', if there is one, ties (a bit) into the 'real world' but it really doesn't get explored much, and really the story is better if you don't think about it much.

For all that, it is a good dungeon crawl boo
Matteo Pellegrini

In una società in cui tutti i dubbi vengono autorevolmente risolti dall'Alto, il giovane Mark Cornwall ha la pericolosa abitudine di cercarsi le sue risposte da solo. Per fortuna un simpatico Essere Demoniaco lo aiuta a liberarsi dall'odioso monaco Oswald. Ma chi lo aiuterà contro le insidie di Beckett, il malvagio rappresentante dell'Inquisizione? Quali altri Agenti Soprannaturali, sinistri o benevoli, sorvegliano le strade e i misteriosi valichi che dovrebbero portare il pellegrino Cornwall al

Mark Smiley
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read a Clifford Simak book in many years. But the cover art, not the art shown associated with this title, but the art by Darrel K Sweet is wonderful and evocative. Mr Simak does a marvelous job of helping us visualize the places he writes about. I can see the winding canyons, smell the leaves of forests people tramp through, can hear the cries of birds. His settings are masterful.
This book is of a quest and he throws in many elements that you do not expect to see together.

I am glad
treva
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first, silly but charming, in a LOTR meets Wizard of Oz kind of way. Then ridiculous and a bit gross in its treatment of the ONLY female character (enough about ~pure virgin girls~ already, ENOUGH), and then totally anticlimactic.
Derek
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it
A rating based solely on nostalgia. This is one of the first "grown-up" books that I ever read, on a long summer vacation road-trip with the family, in the back of the station wagon going who-knows-where.

Most likely not as good as I remember.
Peter
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia is the most powerful force

Having enjoyed this book as a child, I enjoy returning to it in old age. In some ways there is nothing new to be found in it. A fun, easy romp.
But I doubt that adults today would find anything in it interesting.
Young Adults maybe ....
  • Major Operation (Sector General, #3)
  • Black Easter (After Such Knowledge, #2)
  • The Book of Ptath
  • A Wreath of Stars
  • Naked to the Stars
  • Five Gold Bands (Mayflower Science Fantasy)
  • Liavek (Liavek, #1)
  • Virgin Planet
  • Plague of Pythons
  • The Long Loud Silence
  • Earthblood
  • Lord Prestimion (Lord Prestimion, #2)
  • Survey Ship
  • The Clocks of Iraz (The Reluctant King #2)
  • The Riders of the Sidhe
  • Ballroom of the Skies
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99