Start by marking “Better Dads, Stronger Sons: How Fathers Can Guide Boys to Become Men of Character” as Want to Read:

The relationship between a father and a son is like none other. Dads have a God-given role to protect and provide for their families, always striving to teach their sons the life skills they'll need to grow into honorable men. But many dads struggle with feelings of inadequacy regarding their fathering abilities. They want to be better dads.

Rick Johnson can sho
Published May 1st 2006 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Better Dads, Stronger Sons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Dads, Stronger Sons

Start your review of Better Dads, Stronger Sons: How Fathers Can Guide Boys to Become Men of Character
Jay Hennessey
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I really enjoyed the messages in this book on raising boys, specifically:
- Create a vision for your sons - communicate it with them for what a man should grow up to be.
- Time is most important thing in raising boys. Don't worry about the activity, just spending time and modeling the right behaviors.
- Talk about the tough things - girls, sex, how to behave like a man. Start the conversations early, and boys will be comfortable discussing.
- Be the role model 24/7. Everythin
Tor Langehaug
It's difficult for a book in this Genre to break outside of a 3-star rating. For the most part this is because I have read several similar books and most of the material presented is common sense. That being said, I would still recommend the book because it's a fairly easy read and brings to the forefront some topics or considerations that might otherwise be dormant on our minds. The lack of good fathers is an absolute threat to our society and the author is keenly aware of that. It was worth th ...more
Mike Mcguinn
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
The writer is very conservative and some of the ideas listed are a bit traditional, I got a lot out of this and would recommend it to any dad who has a son
Todd Macy
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A little too "women are weak and need men to survive" for my taste but the overall sentiment that men have unique things we can teach boys which make them better men is certainly valid.
Onewifeonly
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not nearly as substantive as the title implies. Disappointing.
Melissa
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rick Johnson is the founder of Better Dads, a fathering skills program designed to educate men on how to play a bigger and more important role in the lives of their children. Better Dads, Stronger Sons takes materials from program workshops in order to reach a wider audience of men desiring to become better fathers to their sons.

The book begins by discussing authentic manhood and authentic fatherhood as well as talking about coming to terms with the past. What truly defines being a m
Paul Schoihet
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Demasiado religioso, pacato, añejo, desordenado y poco útil. Pensé, considerando lo relevante del tema, sería abarcado de manera más interesante, entretenida y aplicable, sin embargo no lo fue. Una pena por que prometía y no entregó herramientas concretas. Como reciente padre de un pequeño de 3 meses, lamentablemente no lo recomiendo (ni para más adelante tampoco).
Dale Critchley
This would be a good book for someone just starting out as a father, but after over 20 years as a dad, I didn't find anything new here.

I also found some of his theology to be a bit heavy on the law: more obligation than opportunity.

That said, if your wife is pregnant with your first child, this would be worth your time to read and even reread after a few years.
Temuujin Bayaraa
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There were so many things in this books that I did not know about fathering and how important is the figure of positive male in young boys future. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to be better father for his son. I will definitely come back to this book to read again and get advice.
Joey Peacher
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple and straightforward. Same stuff I’ve read else where but good reminder.
Blaine
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remarkable. Well done. Our society would benefit greatly if every father read this book.
Eric
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
Despite some extremely conservative views which border on antiquated, there are some good tips in here on how to raise a better son simply by being a better man. The book focuses on the father-son relationship, but can easily be interpolated to the father-daughter relationship as well. For the most part, Johnson offers solid advice for Dads with sons of all ages, positing that it is never to late to start being a great dad.

The book loses something on its advice when the author tries
Jason Green
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A boy needs time with his father. That boy will become his father. We all grow up saying, "I'm never going to become like my father." (most of us do anyway) But inevitably it happens. Why? Because if our dads were present in our life growing up, we both consciously and subconsciously learned to be a man from him. But what if your father was not present in your home? What if he was present but very distant or otherwise a bad example of what it meant to be a father? There is hope for you too. "Bef ...more
John
I really enjoyed this book. This is an admonition to fathers to man up and be the men their sons (and daughters) need them to be. I've read several books of this nature, and while I don't recall any insights that were unique to the author, what I did notice was that this book was inspiring. He presents the material well, and in such a way that I didn't feel I could dimiss it without at least attempting to implement the ideas.
Danny
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to commend Rick Johnson for writing a parenting book that is not filled with narrowly structured answers to complex issues. It seems as though he merely sought to roughly outline the obstacles encountered in Father/Son relationships and inspire the mind and heart of the men to engage the topics. If you're the wife of a Christian man and you have a son, don't hesitate to pick this book up for him.
Ron
Dec 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: christian fathers
Good book about the life purpose of fathers. Fairly speaks to the importanceof being a great father and the impact on ones son. Wrapped in Christian thought and tradition, although the message and the concepts transcend religions.
Eddie
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fathers
A good book that will get you thinking some about how to be a better father and what you should be doing with your own son. I didn't know going in that it has religious overtones, but for the most part they weren't took obtrusive, and overall the book was good.
Paul Jones
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Reading this for fathers and sons group. Doing this all on my Kindle app with highlights and annotations. This was a good book, easy to read and uses common sense approaches. But it was not as powerful as some of the other fathering books I have read
Suz
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 6 CD volume is a great tool for men. The author is the reader so you receive his full intent in the message. It is powerful and actually will help in a man parenting his daughter too!
Great focus with a bold call for men to realize their importance.
Philip
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
good book and definitely one I will re-read. It was nice to read through the book and recognize the characteristics my dad passed on to me (whether intentionally or not). I will definitely use and apply this with aidan throughout his childhood and teens.
Megan
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an interesting book, but more importantly, by husband thought it was a great book. He loved it so much he asked me to read it as well. I recommend this to any man raising a son. The author has another book for single mothers raising sons.
Gayle
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent, if I was a father. But I learned many new things about men and boys. It made me sad that my sons didn't have a father influence.....Every man should read this book!
Roger
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring
  • Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make A Difference
  • The Four Loves
  • Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time
  • A Serial Killer's Daughter: My Story of Faith, Love, and Overcoming
  • The Duties Of Parents
  • The Devil In Pew Number Seven
  • 52 Things Kids Need from a Dad: What Fathers Can Do to Make a Lifelong Difference
  • The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
  • Habit 2: Discovering Your Life Mission From: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • You Are the Message
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life
  • Developing the Leader Within You
  • The Power of the Other: The startling effect other people have on you, from the boardroom to the bedroom and beyond-and what to do about it
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance
  • Letters from a Nut
  • 50 Days of Heaven: Reflections That Bring Eternity to Light
Rick founded Better Dads, a fathering skills program, based on the urgent need to empower men to lead and serve in their families and communities. Rick's books have expanded his work to include influencing the whole family, with life-changing insights for men and women on parenting, marriage, and personal growth. Inspiring and equipping through innovative multimedia presentations and seminars, Ric ...more
“Your affirmation of your son counts for more than a stadium full of other people rooting for him.” 0 likes
“A man is created for challenges. He is equipped to overcome, to run the gauntlet, to stand finn as a ti,ell-anchored corner post. Men are the benchmark in life, society, and family. It is part of the masculine responsibility to demonstrate strength and stability, to protect and provide for those within their sphere of influence. This is the hallmark of manhood.
Preston Gillharn, Things Only Men Know”
0 likes