Start by marking “The Prussian Officer” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Prussian Officer

D.H. Lawrence

The Prussian Officer

David Herbert Richards Lawrence (11 September 1885 - 2 March 1930) was an English novelist, poet, playwright, essayist, literary critic and painter who published as D. H. Lawrence. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanising effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues relating to emotional health and vitalit ...more
Published August 27th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about The Prussian Officer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prussian Officer

Roy Lotz
This is my first book by Lawrence, and I am greatly impressed. These short stories were published near the beginning of his writing career; yet they show a mature writer with a fully developed voice. Several qualities are immediately apparent. The first is Lawrence’s exquisite sensitivity to nature. The best prose in this volume is to be found in the many passages of natural description:
The air was too scented, it gave no breath. All the lush green-stuff seemed to be issuing its sap, till the ai
Vit Babenco
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Gradually the officer had become aware of his servant's young, vigorous, unconscious presence about him. He could not get away from the sense of the youth's person, while he was in attendance. It was like a warm flame upon the older man's tense, rigid body, that had become almost unliving, fixed. There was something so free and self-contained about him, and something in the young fellow's movement, that made the officer aware of him. And this irritated the Prussian. He did not choose to be touc ...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly

I do not know why the editor of the anthology where I found this story says that D. H. Lawrence "shows here a prophetic insight into the roots of the perverse cruelty that flourished later under the Nazis." There is a palpable sexual tension here, at the beginning, between the Prussian officer (a Captain) and his young orderly so unless the editor is saying that Nazism was borned out of a cruelly repressed homosexuality of key Nazi leaders, I'd say that reading historical meaning into this is a
Maan Kawas
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find ‘The Prussian Officer’ as an example of the creativity and insightfulness of D. H. Lawrence. In this work he showed a great understanding of psychoanalysis and the role of the defensive mechanism of the self, particularly the role of repression. The disturbing homoerotic impulses the Prussian office felt toward his orderly, paired with his sadistic tendency were very creatively and clearly depicted by the great novelist. The inner conflict between fulfilling his urges and his unacceptable ...more
Jeremy Neal
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishingly good. This is very early Lawrence, and it's easy to see how he got slated for the hit and miss quality of some of his earlier work, but whilst these works aren't the finished article in the rich vein of Women in Love, or even Sons and Lovers, they are without doubt masterpieces in their own right.

I feel that Lawrence struggles with endings, and nowhere is this more apparent than in The Prussian Officer. It's as though he had wrestled with his demons and got it out of his system, an
Lynda
I chose to read this famous short story by D H Lawrence as it was mentioned in my writing group as containing a classic example of "unverbing" . The story has all the tension and relational intensity one expects from Lawrence as well as hints of homoeroticism. Like Doestoevesky Lawrence discusses how the act of killing places the individual outside of society and although the world continues to turn, the sun to rise and wild life to carelessly exist the perpetrator has by his act cut himself off ...more
Ken
This was my second reading of the short story: THE PRUSSIAN OFFICER, about a tyrannical Captain, who becomes obsessed with a young orderly, and begins inexplicably bullying and abusing the poor soldier. As expected, it does not end well for either character.

It just so happens that I watched the movie UNBROKEN, based on the book by Laura Hillenbrand, where the protagonist is victimized by a cruel and violent POW camp guard Mutsuhiro Watanabe, this same weekend.
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Carey, Wanda
Recommended to Laura by: Marts (Thinker)
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

What a pity, this story was to short.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The tale of a Captain and his orderly...
1.1
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title story and one thereafter left me a bit cold to be quite honest... D.H. crammed them full of sentiment, description, and anxiety, but their clenched atmosphere never relented and so lost its force quickly, plus both were of a theme. Then again, all of the stories in this collection certainly share thematic concerns, setting, and sentiment. The others just do a better job.

'Daughters of the Vicar' was a fine short story and everything after that point was smooth reading. I suppose I could
Sara Jesus
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Chocou-me um pouco este livro. E não encontrei o cenário o idílico de " O amante de Lady Chattelery", que tinha adorado. Este pelo contrário não me conquistou. Até considero pervertido. Um livro que retrata a relação entre senhor e servo. Demonstrando a violência e os desejos reprimidos de certos oficiais. Neste caso um oficial prussiano que possui uma obsessão por um soldado. Não compreendi foi a natureza dos sentimentos do servo. Uma vez que Lawrence retrata melhor o oficial, que acaba por te ...more
Vlady Peters
One of the Great Books of the Western World, this story didn’t do anything for me.

Beautifully written, tension right to the end, nevertheless, when it came to the end end, I felt it was much to do about nothing.

The last line

‘The bodies of the two men lay together, side by side, in the mortuary, the one white and slender, but laid rigidly at rest, the other looking as if every moment it must rouse into life again, so young and unused, from a slumber’

can be, and probably has been analysed to deat
Ananyo
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason why I'm not giving this a 5/5 is because the story felt a bit monotonous in some places. It's divided into four chapters, with the last one being the most poignant, and succinct. The first three chapters are longer and describes the relation between the officer and the orderly in great detail. That is where the monotony came in.

Save that, it makes for an excellent read. Lawrence's knack for including the finest of details makes the text very touching.
Mark Barrett
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Internal human frailties laid bare in the way that only Lawrence can do. Not all of the stories rate among his best works, but you cannot miss some early moments of genius which he practised in these stories, and then perfected in his novels. Not likely to convert any new to his writing, but a must for any existing Lawrence fans.
John
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly average. The Thorn in the Flesh was the one exception. It found greatness. Daughters of the Vicar was my second favorite.

I think I am going to take Lawrence out of my rotation. After three books, I feel I have gotten an accurate impression of him, and I don’t feel drawn to reading more.
pedro andrade
Kind disappointing, to be honest. I was expected a tad more, considering the hype around the book. It was a short short take by Mr. Lawrence. Too shirt. The introduce was quite insightful and filled with literary references.
The take itself was nothing extraordinary: characters were a tad poor although the author tried to describe the as thoroughly as he could.
The end. Oh the end. Like a punch in the gut. Ina bad way: too quickly. Doesn't help.
You can skip this one. Or not. Up to you.
Shirley (stampartiste)
I read this short-story in The World's Greatest Short Stories, edited by James Daley. This book contains an excellent sample of short stories by well-known authors of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Lawrence wrote a fascinating psychological thriller of the interactions between a Prussian Captain and his orderly, the man who tended to his needs. I could never quite decide what motivated the Captain’s abuse of his orderly: (view spoiler)
Ananda
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, narrativa
Ho trovato la lettura di questo racconto poco coinvolgente e a tratti noiosa e un po' ripetitiva.
Kate
There's so much great literature in the world, why must I read utter shit?
Andrew
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned today that I actually like D. H. Lawrence. I don't know why people make him out to be a reincarnation of Marquis de Sade, because they are nothing alike. D. H Lawrence, though sensual, relies on subtly -- unlike the Marquis whose body of work can be charitably described as distasteful and ribald.
Sobia Ali
Oct 15, 2018
Georgios
Aug 08, 2012
Karley
rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2016

• Great American Short Stories
  • The Acquisitive Society
  • Literary Theory: A Guide for the Perplexed
  • English Romantic Poetry
  • Obras completas (y otros cuentos)
  • The Norton Reader: An Anthology of Nonfiction
  • The Portable Chekhov
  • Storia vera
  • War by Candlelight
  • 50 Great American Short Stories
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues rel ...more