Start by marking “Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)” as Want to Read:
Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)

Daring the Duke

(Lords of Intrigue #2)

DARING THE DUKE (APB)

Anne Mallory

When we last saw Stephen Chalmers he was recovering from the attempt on his life by a ring of royal traitors. Since then he's successfully inherited a title, but he's yet to discover the identity of the mysterious rescuer responsible for saving his life. He's also yet to discover the secret identity of the criminal he's been hunting for yea
Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published July 26th 2005 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Daring the Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daring the Duke

Katyana
***4.5***

So I stayed up waaaaaaaay too late to finish this last night. Bad me. But that should tell you just how much fun it was!

I really enjoyed it, and as seems to be a trend with Mallory books, the plot was brilliant and twisty, and fun to follow as it unfolded.

Audrey was intelligent and fearless, loyal, and just plain awesome. It was fun to see a female badass in a historical. And Stephen... what can you say about Stephen? I loved him in the last book, and he's brilliant as the hero in this
Catherine
*3.5 Stars*

Once again, there was something missing for me in this book. I honestly think it's because it's one of this author's first books. It felt a little smoother than the first at times, but it was still missing the spark I usually feel with this author's work.

I picked this book up immediately after finishing the first, Masquerading the Marquess. Stephen seemed like such an interesting character that I couldn't wait to read more about him! Luckily, he didn't disappoint and his heroine, Aud
Elaine
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-mallory
I don't understand the low reviews on this book. I am beginning to think this is my favorite author! I like this type of book with a little mystery/action in it. The Heroine in her books is much stronger than typical books in this era.
Catherine
Daring the Duke is the second book in Anne Mallory’s Lords of Intrigue series. The book revisits the charming Stephen Chalmers, a secondary character from Masquerading the Marquess. Having found Stephen more entertaining and three-dimensional than the supposed “hero” of the first book, I was looking forward to reading a novel with him at its centre. I’m happy to say that I was not disappointed.

I have to give Mallory kudos for crafting two such different and yet complimentary leading characters i
Elis Madison
Yup, if you read Masquerading the Marquess you've probably guessed this one's about Stephen Chalmers, Calliope's surprisingly accommodating accomplice. In the last episode he was obsessed with finding the person who saved him after he nearly drowned in the Thames.

In this episode, he's keen to find Hermes and Icarus, sneak-thieves who robbed tonhomes awhile back, then vanished. Hermes has reappeared recently, but now seems to be targeting shipping documents (we are never clear why, nor are we to
C Joy
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is the second book in the Lords of Intrigue, and I prefer the first to this one.

It has a promising start, I appreciated the humor, the elements of a convincing plot and good storyline were there. The problem? The characters.

Audrey Kendrick has resurfaced as "Hermes", a notorious thief who doesn't leave a trace, and somehow she started making mistakes. Stephen Chalmers already knows her identity, but toys with her for awhile. He courts her and all that until they get close, mysteries are rev
Piratequeen
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
It started out to be a very formidable novel with an air of suspense. But it went stale after half of the book, leaving much to be desired. The tension simply died for me in the end. there should've been an Epilogue. To show how he managed his financial problems. A burning question for me is and still remains as to how did she come to loose her innocence... more to the fact if she was a virgin to begin with.
Overall the book left me with a....
" That's it??????..." lol.
Keri
Aug 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a good book, but for some reason it didn't have the same feel as the first book. It was a light read, but the subject matter wasn't particularly light. AM usually gives more depth to important scenes, but I didn't feel it this time. So while it wasn't my fav, it wasn't the worst book I have ever read and I look forward to picking up the next one.
Caroline
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sex is boring, the romance is tepid but great hero and heroine.
Loudice
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite in the series! I love both characters!
Humm... Not bad overall there was plenty of action and suspense. I did manage to guess who the villain behind the villain was but only just before it was reviled. I have to say that the heroine annoyed me just a bit, she was kinda cool in the whole amazing thief sort of way. But, if she had just teamed up with the Duke to begin with everything would have gone a whole lot smoother. Though I suppose that was what made the story. Over all I'm giving this one 3 stars.
Overall I enjoyed this historical romance. I liked the love story as well as the main characters. The mystery was engrossing and not easily solved. Unfortunately, there really wasn't anything that stood out to me in this book like in most of Mallory's later works.

For more of my reviews, please check out my blog
Sol Santamarina
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice! Funny. Entertaining. Sexy. I'd have liked a bit more banter, but it was witty enough.
The characters are interesting, and there is some evolution to their relationship, beyond the usual clichés.
All in all, a nice read.
LemontreeLime
I enjoyed this one, but i think there could have been a little more development of the back stories. Several gonzo elements of the story were presented and interfered with my suspension of disbelief.
Marie
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
wonderful story of the aristocrat and the street urchin working together to overcome villains.
Nessa
Apr 02, 2016 added it
D.N F

Sadly I was never intrigued to read about spies and this one didn't. As much as I wanted to give it a shot, the plot didn't seem interesting enough.
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
A little boring. I have about 100 pages left, and I'm done.
Paula
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5

Fiquei um pouco decepcionada.
Christine

Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Regency
Modesty_b
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
it is somewhere between i like it n i love it. definitely loved the characters.intrigued by faye and a bit disgruntled that there is no epilogue :(
Shefa
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
It lack the depths in other books. Somehow the story floats only at the surface.
Rahma
Lois
Jul 03, 2010
Emily
Jul 13, 2016
  • The Danger of Desire (Dartmouth Brides #3)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • What an Earl Wants (The Redgraves, #1)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Never Resist Temptation
  • A Season to Be Sinful (Grantham, #1)
  • At Your Pleasure
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Somerhart, #2)
  • As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1)
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Never A Lady (Regency #4)
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • Captives of the Night (Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Bride Sale
Some people have always known they wanted to write. Others fall into it and discover its inherent joy. I’m somewhere in between. As an avid reader, writing a novel had always tickled the back of my mind. There seem to be a lot of people who say, “Someday I’ll write a book.” For me, the feeling tickled, moved into an incessant knocking and finally became a dull roar. All I needed was to make that “ ...more

Lords of Intrigue (3 books)
  • Masquerading the Marquess (Lords of Intrigue, #1)
  • What Isabella Desires (Lords of Intrigue, #3)