Start by marking “Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square” as Want to Read:
Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square

Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Host Peter Marshall recounts his years on this revolutionary hit game show, featuring stories of stars Paul Lynde, Karen Valentine, Charlie Weaver, and a host of superstars from the movies, the pop charts and more! Includes a discount on the newly reissued CD ZINGERS FROM THE HOLLYWOOD SQUARES.
Published July 29th 2013 (first published July 17th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backstage with the Original Hollywood Square

Peter Wright
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was very enjoyable, with some interesting stories behind the scenes of a great game show. I wouldn't say there was anything too scandalous revealed, but it was fun to read what stories were included. A word about the Kindle version, though; the formatting is TERRIBLE! The chapters aren't linked for easy access, and the headings of them come right after the end of the previous chapter. There is one entire chapter with pictures from the author's personal collection that I would have LOVED ...more
Cindy
I grew up watching Hollywood Squares and loved it. It was definitely one of my favorite games shows and as an 80's kid I was a game show junkie. I was excited when I found this book on Kindle Unlimited but at 24% done, I'm adding it to my DNF shelf and giving it up. I am bored. to. death. reading this book. It's not that I was expecting any shocking revelations or anything but this book is as dry as Aunt Suzy's meatloaf. I'll stick to finding old clips of Squares on Youtube.
Jonathan Shaver
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Worth a read of you dug the show

I loved this show as a kid and Marshall gives some hilarious insight. Highly re commend if you were a fan. You will not be into it otherwise.
Brett Bydairk
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Backstage gossip from the original series, some fluff, and some serious dirt.
Comes with a CD of "Zingers From The Hollywood Squares"
Phil Melcher
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Marshall was the "The Master of the Hollywood Squares" for 16 years on television and this loving story tells how Peter never viewed it as work but more of "A social gathering". This book is beautifully detailed with stories from on the set and behind the scenes. Some of the stories include

*What star Center Square Paul Lynde was really like both in the square and out of it
*What happened at some of the show's dinner breaks
*The 2 men Peter Marshall "could not stand"
*The trips and extra curri
Robert Breeze
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't Expect Anything Shocking

Peter Marshall's memoirs of The Hollywood Squares is a mildly interesting book that offers a few insights, but really nothing deliciously tasty. Like the nice guy he is, he tells nice stories about other nice people. There is no trash, and therefore very little interesting information, so if that's what you're expecting you will be sorely disappointed.
Julie
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting. Peter Marshall doesn't pull any punches when describing the stars he worked with. And I always wondered if the stars were given the answers, since they always had a joke ready. They were told what subjects they would be asked about ( i.e. World War II, elephants) and some were supplied with jokes. But if you don't remember Hollywood Squares, this book would be of no interest.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't like tell all or gossip books about celebrities. Peter Marshall does a wonderful job and not taking things to far when talking about all of the celebrities he worked with on the popular game show Hollywood Squares. I found his stories to be interesting and funny. I enjoyed all the great pictures throughout the whole book, that was a nice touch and help me put a face to the name. Hollywood squares debuted in 1966 and lasted until 1980. That is a lot of memories.
Andrew
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eat this Stuff Up

I could read books like this all day. Light, well written and full of behind the scenes stuff about Hollywood Square, at its prime one of the most entertaining game shows ever. Marshall had an amazing number of celebrities on his show throughout the years and the behind the scenes stories( especially those with the inimitable Pau Lynde) are fun particularly if you are a film and tv buff like myself. Peac it
Susie Lindeberg
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!!! Such interesting backstories about the people I used to watch on Hollywood Squares. I also love the writing style. I highly recommend, if you loved The Original Hollywood Squares!

I read this book about 12 years ago. It was great fun & provided many laughs & smiles!
Riley Cooper
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of the book is hearing the great lines delivered by the various celebrities (especially Paul Lynde, of course), but there are other highlights as well. The inside story of how the show evolved, the nervousness of some celebrities, Peter Marshall's favorites and least favorites - it makes for a good, light read.
Polly
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hollywood
This was a fun read. Imagine sitting down with Peter Marshall and having him give you all the inside scoop on Hollywood Squares. Fun, huh? This is free to borrow if you're an Amazon Prime member, so get on over there and borrow it!
Ronnie Cramer
A fast and fun read.
Tina
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So enjoyable! Peter Marshall's memories about the people who made up the Hollywood Squares family are a lot of fun.
Ronald
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, nostalgic read.
Jeff
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a fun, light vacation read of behind-the-scene antics on the Hollywood Squares.
Wendy
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun stuff. Good back stories, and very entertaining.
Chris Rutledge
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know what, for what it is, it was pretty enjoyable
Tonya Johnson
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun memories

I have read the book before but it had been many years. Very funny memories. Loved watching the show growing up
Morgan
Kathryn Molesa
Aug 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
This is Peter^^^^^Marshall

Peter Marshall (born Ralph Pierre LaCock) is an American television and radio personality, singer, and actor. He was the original host of The Hollywood Squares, from 1966 to 1981. He has almost fifty television, movie, and Broadway credits. His stage name, Peter Marshall, reportedly derived from the college in his home town (Marshall College, which became Marshall Univers
More about Peter Marshall