Start by marking “Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!” as Want to Read:
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

(Pigeon)

PreSchool-Grade 2-The star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003) returns in another irresistible tale. Hurrying away to brush his teeth, the pajama-clad bus driver implores readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Youngsters are thrust into the role of caregiver as the puerile pigeon attempts to talk his way out of the inevitable, coming up w ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Hyperion Books for Children

Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This hilarious pigeon always finds a way to pester the elder ones!

Seriously, don't let the pigeon stay up late! It will create a ruckus as soon as you turn your head.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Small-fry calls these the ”silly bird books” and gets so excited every time we grab a new one. He honestly laughs and interacts with these stories more than any other.

(Also he calls the bird a bidgeon which is effing adorable, okay.)
Sophia Triad
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
All time favourite in our house!

The pigeon needs to go to bed.

I'm not even tired!

He prefers to party, to watch TV, to talk about your day, count the stars etc.

And his is not yawing.

I was stretching.

Favourite quote: It's the middle of the day in China!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

After the pajama-clad Bus Driver asks the reader to make sure pigeon doesn't stay up late, he comes in and starts trying to persuade the readers to let him stay up late. "I hear there's a good show about birds on TV tonight. Should be very educational" and "Y'know, we never get to talk anymore. Tell me about your day-" Until FINALLY he falls asleep, clutching his stuffed bunny.

Do you know a child like this... who has droopy eyes an
Matt
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
That dastardly pigeon is at it again and Mo Willems is here to get some young reader participation to help keep things in order. The pigeon spends the entire book trying to tell the reader that he’s not tired and could easily last through the night. Roll out the excuses and the delays, but as long as the reader does not bend, this pigeon should be sawing logs (and munching hot dogs) very soon. Slowly, the pigeon’s resolve fades and there is a yawn or two... but the battle is not over yet. Neo is ...more
Lesley
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
begs to stay up and has all the excuses!
Melki
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pigeon doesn't want to go to bed and he uses every excuse in the book. I've heard many of these before, and if you're a parent, I'm sure you have, too. Pretty cute story!
Misty Mount
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-little-guy
My little guy is addicted to these Pigeons stories and as a first grader he can read them on his own.
Hahah! The pigeon is absolutely hilarous, my favorite part is when the pigeon is stalling and all of a sudden says, "tell me about your day..." nice try pigeon.
Kate
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pigeon wants to stay up late, but for all his shenanigans trying to devise ways to be allowed to stay up late, he actually ends up tiring himself out in the end
the (book) supplier
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Apparently I bought this one for my neice and didn't remember doing it. But that's okay, because I got story time last night. :-D
Ronyell
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Mo Willems!!!
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!. These are all the books I had read so far from Mo Willems’ popular “Pigeon” series! Recently, I had read another book from Mo Willems’ fantastic “Pigeon” series and it is called “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” With witty dialogue and cute illustrations, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of the “Pigeon” series!

When the Bus Driver tells the readers
MKK
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Willems is fantastic. Pure bliss. Fun, imaginative and so deliriously creative. I’ve just started mining the school library so I’ll search for more Pigeon and Elephant and Piggie books.
Alba
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great bedtime book. You can replace your child's name into the story and make them laugh if you have a rascal child who makes excuses for going to bed.
Annie ⚜️
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Funny. Reminds me of my son pulling out all the stops to stay up past his bedtime so he thinks it's highlarious. 🙄😂
Steve Holden
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The third in this silly series that I've owned and shared repeatedly with my classes. This one has the same premise - and it's silly - but this one connects with students the best. Every child can connect with not wanting it to be bedtime. It's fun sharing a book like this, and then leading a discussion with a classroom of young students about what they've done similarly when told it's bedtime! I read this and all the others I've owned in the series a lot when I taught first grade, but in second ...more
Sarah Sammis
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2006
Sean's last Hanukkah gift was two books by Mo Willems: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. Parents will find this story of the pigeon who doesn't want to go to bed very funny. I think I've heard every excuse that the pigeon uses from Sean. As with the other pigeon books the narrator warns the reader about the pigeon and his need to go to bed. After he leaves, the pigeon speaks to the reader, trying to stay up as late as possible.
Slytano
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this a few times and re-read it today. This is a good series, but the real jewel is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. After you've read that the rest are just ho-hum.

I like reading this to kids because they love to shout the wrong answer...May I stay up late? YES!!! They all scream! Then their mothers and preschool teachers get upset.

Don't hassle your kids for participating in a story! I say, LET THEM EAT CAKE.

Bennett
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So cute I just want to wad it up and then stick it down my throat, and if I choked I wouldn't care because it's SO CUTE!!!
Brenda
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: okay, meh
Last book of the series. The duckling is the real hero haha.
Liz Janet
Feb 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
After reading this book to a bunch of four year olds, repeatedly, for half a year, it is a surprise I still have my sanity. My heart is given out to my coworkers who still have to read this.
Erin Brunk
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
In Mo Willems fantastic Pigeon series, the plots always revolve around the Pigeon not getting his way. In this case, the Pigeon really wants to stay up late. He has several compelling arguments, pleas, and begging strategies, but he does not get his way. The character of Pigeon has a strong character voice, even though he is just a pigeon. His sneaky personality and tactics really stand out.

Middle school students will find this small character hilarious, and will be willing to engage with the t
Megan Hevener
Using this as a model text, I will read this to my students and ask them to listen to the voice that arises within this book.
First read: students will just be listening to the voice in the book
Second read: students will be grouped into small group. They will be picking out how the author used voice in the text. What kind of language helps with that voice.
The groups will share with the class.
Writing activity: Students will draw from a hat a writing topic such as getting ice cream, playing out
Briony Donald
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure that this book was written about Ryan 😁
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If this isn't life with a kid, I don't know what is.
Books4m
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GREAAT Book I read it to all the kids who come into the Children's room at the library... storytimes...Tuesdays...Lego Day no matter the occasion or non occasion.. this is THE BOOK
Tracy Morton
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Well isn't this freaking adorable. The pigeon books are always cute. I wish I had a pigeon puppet because the books are pretty much all the pigeon talking.
Malia Gaddis
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: This book tells a silly story of a young pigeon that tries many things to try to stay up at night. He will obviously try anything when he's told it's time for bed.

Evaluation: This book is a funny, short story with many cute illustrations.The book contains many opportunities for the students to interact during the reading. "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!" relates to the life of a young child and their love for the word "no".

Teaching: This book could be used in lower grades during a
David
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, picturebooks
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon #2) by Mo Willems is a humorous look at anyone who begs to stay up late, even when it's obviously bedtime.

The story begins with the pajama-clad bus driver imploring readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Pigeon proceeds to cajole, manipulate, persuade and beg to stay up late. Pigeon makes up lots of excuses and has silly ideas. As he does, however, yawns keep escaping from him, until finally Pigeon dozes off, clutching his stuffed bunny.
Julia
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the better Pigeon books in my opinion, "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!" allows readers of all ages to relate whether since of past attempts to stay up and/or being the adult in trying to set a correct timeframe for those rebellious sleepyheads. None of the excuses or methods are new but with the Pigeon attempting each one they get a new spin in life.

The only thing that slightly bothered me was the fact that the bus driver appeared in the pages and was the one who put the reader(s) i

• Little Hoot
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach
  • New Socks
  • Bark, George
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • But Excuse Me That Is My Book
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Big Bear Hug
  • Chicks and Salsa
  • Chickens to the Rescue
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Pigeon (9 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School