Start by marking “Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin #3)” as Want to Read:
Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin #3)

Stormhaven

(Whyborne & Griffin #3)

alternate cover edition of ASIN B00H216WHU

Mysterious happenings are nothing new to reclusive scholar Percival Endicott Whyborne, but finding one of his colleagues screaming for help in the street is rather unusual. Allan Tambling claims he can’t remember any of the last hour—but someone murdered his uncle, and Allan is covered in blood.

Whyborne’s lover, dashing ex-Pinkert
Published December 1st 2013 by Jordan L. Hawk

To ask other readers questions about Stormhaven, please sign up.
Eidyn Harriss It's listed as Victorian. So about late 1800's, early 1900's. I believe one of the book descriptions has it listed as taking place in 1899. …moreIt's listed as Victorian. So about late 1800's, early 1900's. I believe one of the book descriptions has it listed as taking place in 1899. (less)

Start your review of Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin #3)
Shile

Another awesome addition to this paranormal series.

The writing is pectacular, that it makes these books readable and enjoyable.

The mystery part keeps getting creepy and i am here for all that. I will continue sounding like a broken record by repeatedly saying, this is the best paranormal series i have ever read.

The relationship between Whyborne and Griffin continues to make me all gooey. These two are perfect for eachother and dorky Whyborne is one of the best characters ever.

Griffi
K.J. Charles
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, gay, m-m, victorian
I would write a proper review but the dead gods sing to me from their fathomless palaces and also I'm on my phone. Sexy Lovecraftian fun with plenty of tension and real horror. Our boy Whyborne is learning to kick some arse. Highly satisfying. ...more
Susan
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I thought this was the last book of the series and I almost cried! But, turns out there are at least 2 more books...so I'm doing my happy dance (don't look...it's disturbing and all kinds of unattractive but it's mine!)

Stormhaven had a fantastic story, disturbing beyond (anything w/ asylums kinda freaks me out...), and lots and lots of our favorite trio (yes trio, no not menage)...of Whyborne, Griffin, and Christine!

If you haven't read this series, let me just tell you why you should:

-Percival E
Sheri
I am having a splendid time and I want to gush and squee about the book I just finished but then I want to surge ahead and read the next. How many are left? Wait! Don’t tell me. I want to blissfully ride along for as long as possible. I’m typically a solid multi-tasker but this is proving to be difficult. So, I must stop myself before I get too far ahead and my fangirling blends together. I gotta tell ya, this is quite the dilemma! *rubs hands together* Okay, here we are in the third book and yo ...more
Barbara➰
This was another awesome installment in this series. It put me through every emotion.

All the asylum stuff was CREEPY and had me shivering more than once. And boy, is Whyborne a magnet for the supernatural and weird!

There were definitely some sweet and swoon-worthy moments.
"I’m yours, for as long as you want me.” He stilled and pulled back, his face revealed to me in the soft glow of the night candle. “What if I want you forever?”

“Yes.” I kissed the nearest patch of exposed skin within re
Ingie
Written June 22, 2014

4.3 Stars - Partly adventurous and scary but at the other end incredibly intensely hot and grandly about earnestly grand male love

Book #3

Stormhaven is the third part in the Whyborne & Griffin series. Historical crime and a bit paranormal spooky adventures featureing a wonderful couple of lovebirds.

I enjoyed - another good one in this series.

***********************************************************

The former Pinkerton Detective, Mr Griffin Flaherty, is a quite newcomer (a
Ami
There was murder in the first chapter – the suspected killer covered in blood and couldn’t remember anything … and THAT was how you hooked your readers.

The 3rd book in Whyborne and Griffin series was definitely my favorite to date. It had the great combination of mystery, romance, a dash of humor (Whyborne was grumpy about the progress of electricity coming to Whiddershin, it was adorable!!), emotional angst (oh Griffin, poor Griffin), and horror (seriously, stories in an asylum where they treat
Ms. Smartarse
You've been dating for almost a year now, things are just fine, and you're even living together. Granted, you may have to get a bit creative when it comes to fooling the maid, but this is the 19th century and your relationship isn't exactly legal. In any case, it's now time to meet your boyfriend's parents... and not tell them anything of importance. They have some rather incriminating antecedents.

Squirrel hyperventillanting

But then the parents show up with a fiance-candidate in tow, you start having lucid hallucinations
Moony Eliver
This was my favorite volume yet. I've completely failed to review the books in this series, and I won't do much better this time. But I love this universe, I love Whyborne's voice, I love his and Griffin's relationship, all of it. Next! ...more
Gerbera_Reads
Another fabulous book from Jordan L. Hawk. This time trouble finds Whyborne and Griffin not far from home. The simple murder case takes mysterious turns that lead to the halls of Stormhaven, Widdershins own lunatic asylum, which brings forth agonizing memories for Griffin. There is always someone with desire for world domination, and Whyborne, Griffin and Christine face off against a group of cultists with a deranged power hungry scientist at its head.

Apart from the danger, Griffin's parents' v
☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)
have you ever wanted h.p. lovecraft but with longer stories and more gay?? of course you have!!! well, now you can live your dreams with the whyborne & griffin series by jordan l. hawk, which is fast becoming one of my favourite fantasy series ever.

if you don't read it, cthulhu will drag you into the deep and you will never be seen again. you have been warned.
Kaje Harper
This series continues to be one great ride, with a nice blend of adventure, paranormal, and period romance. This installment brings Griffin face to face with an echo of his greatest nightmares, an insane asylum like the one in which he was unjustly imprisoned before coming to Widdershins. As he works on the case of a murdered man, despite the looming shadows of that experience, he encounters one of the very men who kept him there, and must face difficult memories.

Whyborne has troubles of his own
Mir
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Solid, although dealing with too many serious issues (abuse of patients in asylums, the grief of people who are rejected by their families for homosexuality, women's difficulty in obtaining education) to be classed as a fun light read. ...more
Richard Derus
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
My Young Gentleman Caller buys me these. He does it because 1) it earns him major points against problematic behaviors elsewhere and B) he gets to read them too. All readers of romance do it because it's a way of deriving satisfaction not ordinarily available in the real world.
I’m here because I wish to be. Because I love you as you are, right now, today.

Everyone breathing wants to hear that. How many of you have? Ever? And here it is in black and white, clear and unambiguous. Stated as fact fro
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Thoroughly enjoyable series that has so far, consistently delivered on the mystery, the fear factor, and the smart writing. What also counts significantly is the relationship between Whyborne and Griffin, which is only further strengthened, the depth of their feelings now firmly known and cemented in this installment.

This go around Whyborne and Griffin, along with the unflappable Christine, try to prove a man’s innocence in a most suspicious murder. Nobody does prim and proper better tha
Meags
4 Stars

Herein lies another fun, spooky and wildly romantic addition to the Whyborne & Griffin series.

This installment follows Whyborne, Griffin, and the always fierce and fabulous Christine, as they work to save a museum colleague, after he is arrested for the murder of his uncle and locked away in the terrible Stormhaven asylum.

The asylum setting proved adequately creepy, as well as troublesome for poor, dear Griffin, who was forced to relive many of his own horrible and traumatic memories fr
Amy Lane
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Griffin and Whyborne, and their freaky, supernatural nexus of a town. The historical details were spot on and the characters both charmed me and moved me. I love this series, and I adore this author's deft touch and quirky mind. ...more
Vivian
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-pn
All about Griffin.

The third saga of Whyborne and Griffin has the usual chills and thrills with a gruesome murder that leads them to try and prove a colleague's innocence. A relic, some supernatural shenanigans and a family visit all keep one entertained. But, their relationship is tested and words are spoken.

Words are spoken. Yeah, Whyborne's been meddling with his spells again and--Whammy! Good times. Nice take on the foe in this one. Who's the monster???

Wished there was more action and less p
Chris
Really enjoyed enjoying this paranormal/ historical series. I really feel for Whybourne & Griffin that they can't express their love for each other in public due to the scandal that would be caused in these times but I'm glad that both men have now clearly chosen each other rather than their small minded families. This episode revolved around Stormhaven - the lunatic asylum and really brought back some terrible memories for Griffin. Of course drama and magic prevails and these two find their way ...more
Jenni Lea
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

These just keep getting better and better.
Karen
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
Holy hell!!! This was one freaking good read!!!

Ok so here's me roaring through these books dealing with the whole aliens, monsters and who knows what that are coming at me and I'm enjoying it...a lot! Or at least I thought I was and then I read 'Stormhaven' and now I know. I've just been reading the warm up.

This for me was superb!!! I loved it. Oh there were still monsters, demons or whatever you want to call them. Only this time they were more abstract and only made a very small appearance
Sofia

Good to be back with Why and Griff.

Quite a creeepppy come back with Whybourne in the grip of hypnotic siren call of the underwater depths and Griffin having to face his past at each turn.

I enjoyed reading this very worthy instalment in this series. Together with deep sea exploration, we also delved deeper in the inner workings of their relationship. To see them dealing with circumstances, which hit them where it hurts, and flared up their insecurities. The places where, doubts and jealousy p
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

"Screams and howls rose from every room, the madmen struggling against their bindings or slamming into the doors, as if in a panic to get out before the monster in their dreams erupted into reality.”

See this one was always going to freak me out. Asylums and the 1800’s? Scary!! Add a new cult, nightmares from the sea, more information about Griffin and a trip from his parents?

‘Stormhaven’ had a lot going on and I think this one is another favourite in the series for me, not least of all because t
Elena

Another solid book for this series. This time the story is more Griffin-centered, with both the case and his family’s visit.
While I appreciate getting to know more about Griffin's past, I wasn’t happy to learn the details of his time in the asylum, it was even worse than I imagined. It was a good thing that it all came out in the open though, especially considering that Whyborne was the first and only person to whom Griffin could talk about it and still feel accepted.
I really like se
_______________________
Re-read November 2016
Ariana
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the series came with a lot more Whyborne and Griffin compared to #2 which was greatly appreciated.
We don't only see their relationship evolve into something of a more serious nature, we also get a notion how they function as a couple, and that in particular was great fun to read: Griffin trying to teach Whyborne to cook - lol (his 'horrified' comments are rather amusing), both men supporting each other in time of need - there was a lot of that, and I loved the genuine affection
Gina
The exhilarating ride continues in book 3 of this series. How many OMG’s can I write and not have them sound tired, but I really do love this series. OMG OMG OMG!

In this book Whyborne, Griffin and Christine run into a friend of Whyborne’s running down the street screaming for help covered in blood and not knowing how it got there. Well the local police to put the man in an Asylum, (Stormhaven) deciding he is mad because he can’t remember what happened. The man’s brother reaches out to Griffin f
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Stormhaven Sweetness!

The Pocket Watch and oOh My Gosh♥

My review disappeared this is a re-cap of what I remember.

I love this book...

Because, this is really true love story with a sweet diversity intertwined in the tale.

♥ The Writing was Tight

♥ The Plot was Solid~

♥ The MC's and their Romance was Adorable and Beautifully Written.

♥And again in this book, my favorite part was the romance and the gift of the pocket watch...you'll see....and oOh my gosh, when he said...

"I may not be able to take yo
Isabel
Knowing that there will be more books of this series is a relief! I'm addicted, there's nothing I can do (or want to do)...

I love these books... I love the characters, the plot, the magic, being scared and the way I can't stop reading it!

In this book, Whyborne improves his magical skills and he has some hilarious inner thoughts! We know some more of Griffin's past, and how much he suffered in the asylum... No wonder why he is so broken... but he has by his side the strength of the man he loves.
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Starr (AKA Bam Bam) by: Claudie ☾
This one I liked less than the last one for some reason. But still solid 4 stars.

Poor Griffin... He was a bit of a manwhore (which I absolutely despise), but he's endured such horrors... and I find somehow I don't hold grudges against him for being the way he was. This author has a way of writing and character dev that make them flawed and real. And lovable because of it.

Something's going on with the mother... knew it first time she came on the page. Wonder what it is...

On to book 4! Thanks ag
BR #3 Stormhaven - June 18 - Ingela, Bev, Sofia and.... 64 20 Jun 26, 2014 06:28AM

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • Five For Heaven (A Charm of Magpies, #3.6)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook.

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)

News & Interviews

“That would be quite the headline: Niles Whyborne’s Son Run Over by Own Train. Father would probably raise me from the dead just so he could kill me himself.” 11 likes
“If the director fired everyone here who might go mad, half the museum would be depopulated", Christine replied. She exaggerated, of course - I felt fairly confident less than a quarter of those who worked here could reasonably be said to have taken leave of their sanity at some point or another. The library staff would be rather decimated, though.” 11 likes