Start by marking “The Seventh Most Important Thing” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Most Important Thing

The Seventh Most Important Thing

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  4,933 Ratings  ·  752 Reviews
Published September 8th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Most Important Thing, please sign up.
Paxie In the beginning, as Arthur was going to the court, the judge calls out the junk man to be named, "James Hampton."

Paige  Bookdragon

description

"Lots of people have done hell. Hell is easy to create. Heaven—that’s a whole different ball game,” Mr. Hampton continued. “It takes years. A lifetime. I have a lot left to do."

To be honest, I didn't know this book was inspired by the real-life The Throne of the Third Heaven by James Hampton. I didn't even know that that kind of art exists which gives you the idea that my knowledge of the 20th century arts is actually nonexistent.

Anyway, this is a middle grade book and it's fairly easy to read.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

The Seventh Most Important thing is one of those quite little understated works that nevertheless conveys an important message. It’s based on the life of James Hampton, a folk artist from the 1960’s, a janitor and a recluse intent on creating his vision of heaven from scraps. His life’s work, The Throne of the Third Heaven, made entirely out of foil, light bulbs, wood, mirrors and other items easily collected on the streets, was discovered posthumously and donated to the Smithsonian Am
Heather Taake
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really interesting story, this book shows the power of redemption.
Michele Knott
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Loved the message. Loved the character development. Loved the last lines.
Recommended for upper middle grade.
Lauren B8b
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a great book if you like realistic fiction. However, I did not. The ending ended up good, but the rest of the book, I wasn't that interested. If you like realistic fiction, I definitely recommend this book to you!
Kristen (kaymaldo)

I went into The Seventh Most Important Thing not knowing what to expect, but it wowed me. The book follows the story of Arthur, a boy who goes to juvie for throwing a brick at the "Junk Man" (Mr. Hampton) in his town. Following juvie, Artie finds himself stuck with community service…working for the very man he "attacked." Artie's not a bad kid, but he's dealt with a lot of pain lately, including losing his father. Arthur's job is to collect junk throughout the neighborhood, following a
Amanda - Cover2CoverMom
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
You can read all of my reviews on my blog -> Cover2CoverMom

I really adored this book.  At the core, The Seventh Most Important Thing is about not judging others, but it is also a story of loss, grief, guilt, and friendship.  I had no idea this book is based off of true events, though I won’t share which parts because it is better going in not knowing until the end like I did.  (view spoiler)
Jonathan
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book, it shows the power of being given a second chance and how you can do things for the better. Definitely recommend this to anyone, doesn't matter if you have a preference of genres/books. (I was so excited when I saw this as a Rebecca Caudill award nominee.)
Ella Zegarra
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
ok ¿cuándo empezamos con la producción de la película? ¿Morgan Freeman cuando llega al set?

Este es el tipo de película que me hubiera encantado ver cuando era chica. Digo película, porque en ese tiempo no leía.

Historias como esta le falta a los niños de esta época, algo sencillo con ese ligero toque de fantasía que lleva el libro a un nivel... *-*

En serio, necesitamos películas basadas en libros como este y no solo para los niños.

Original de: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

Tengo una malísima memoria,
Brody
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story is about redemption through trash, I know that sounds weird but you will understand when you read it.
Hobbit
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a bitterly cold day when Arthur T. Owens grabbed a brick and hurled it at the trash picker. Arthur had his reasons, and the brick hit the Junk Man in the arm, not the head. But none of that matters to the judge—he is ready to send Arthur to juvie for the foreseeable future. Amazingly, it’s the Junk Man himself who offers an alternative: 120 hours of community service . . . working for him.
Christina
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book. Frankly, I felt the connection was poorly made between the boy's struggle with his father's death and the building of the third heaven by Mr. Hampton. The ending didn't move me but left me scratching my head. Wouldn't recommend it.
Amy
update: I am always wary when I like a book too much, because I am afraid my personal judgement can cloud teen reading value. As predicted, though, teens are clicking to this book and they are reading it quickly.... even "non-readers." All I did was read the first two pages out loud to them.

I loved this book so much I can't even. I am not going to bother with a plot or book talk for now. I am just going to kvell here and edit this mess later.

Reasons it's perfect for a seventh-grade boy:
1. An elu
Tasha
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Arthur can’t stand that the junk man is wearing his father’s hat, so he throws a brick at the old man and injures him. Sent to juvenile detention, Arthur has to appear in court where the junk man steps up and offers him a choice. He can either be sentenced to detention or he can do community service working with the junk man. Arthur agrees to work for the man. When he starts, all he gets is a list of items to find in the garbage. Soon Arthur is digging through the garbage himself. At first he do ...more
Dana
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Oh so much wowness! When 13 year old Arthur, whose father recently passed away, threw a brick at the neighborhood junk man for wearing his father's hat and was sent to reform school, he had no idea that the junk man would be his source of redemption. Sentenced to help the junk man as his probation, Arthur learns that St. James, as he referred to himself was collecting junk - foil, cardboard, light bulbs and other items to create a work of art. That work of art is real and is shown at the end of ...more
Lorenzo Rios
A young kid that has relied on his dad can now not. His anger beneath his skin, is shown tremendously. Until, he meets this Junk man that he connects to and puts Arthur into his place. With Arthur not quite understanding his life yet, he feels to question himself. His mom getting a boyfriend, and the Junk man dying. Has made days ruff. Arthur may be mixed up in the world but when he finds himself, he is his best person.
Marcusplusplusplusmrxusplusmarxusplus
Lexi F.
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my view on our world. The way that some people are that generous to give people a second chance is amazing. This book made me think that we need to be more open minded and listen to people more that have ideas. This book makes you feel mixed emotions throughout the entire book. At times the book can be a little slow, but when you keep reading most of the parts are a page turner and you never want to put the book down.
Heather
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Arthur is a criminal. He threw a brick at a homeless man.

But wait, before you judge him, you need to know a few things. Things have been super hard for him lately. And I know that's not the best excuse, but...

Now Arthur has been sentenced to community service - and his assignment is to work with Mr. Hampton, the homeless man (junk man) that he threw the brick at.

An Mr. Hampton's assignment for him is odd. To go around the neighborhood collecting the 7 most important things: light bulbs, cardboa
Beth Honeycutt
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story based on a piece of art, "The Throne of the Third Heaven", which is in the Smithsonian Museum. I will definitely share this book with students!
Davit Hakobyan
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
life changing
Гарретт mcneilly
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this a very good book about a kid who has to help a mad but by the end he just wants to
Anna Ro
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was cute and had much character development. It's cool that this artwork inspired someone to write a book. I would have liked more info about the artist and the visions he had
Ms. Yingling
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Arthur, upset with his father's death in 1963, throws a brick at the Junk Man who is wearing his father's hat, breaking the man's arm. He is sent to juvenile detention, but at his sentencing the Junk Man, James Hampton, requests that since he can't work with his arm broken, Arthur should help him out. When Arthur shows up at Hampton's garage (which he can find only with the help of a nearby tattoo parlor owner, Groovy Jim), he finds a note listing seven thi
Mrs.
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy books about relationships especially between people who may not have ever been friends if not for some instigating event. That is what makes The Seventh Most Important Thing one of the best books I have read this year.
Brian
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A young boy decides to throw a brick at the crazy man who drags a cart around town, picking up junk. Naturally, Arthur gets in trouble but the worst part is that he is sentenced to have to work for the very man that he injured. But will Arthur's crime end up changing his life for the better?

In this novel, we are treated to a spread of memorable characters. The book takes place in the past and focuses on the life of an artist that most of us knew nothing about. I thought that the main character
Stefanie
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book climbed to the top of my favorites list very quickly! Arthur is a 13 year old boy whose story begins with the scene of him throwing a brick at the head of a "Junk Man" on the street that is pushing a shopping cart full of trash. Arthur serves time in juvenile detention and when he is released, his sentence is to work for the Junk Man. As these two characters are brought together, we learn the reasons behind both of their actions- why Arthur threw the brick and why the Junk Man collects ...more
Holly
This book grabbed me at the first paragraph and never let go. I'm not quite sure what it was, but this story made me teary throughout the whole thing. Maybe it was Arthur's obvious pain, or the Junk Man's compassion, or that beautiful things can be made from ugly things, or that everything changes when you know someone's story, or that I love stories of redemption and spiritual thinking, or any number of qualities that make this book special. Whatever it was, it moved me. It reminded me of Nicke ...more
Cathy
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book sucked me in from the first page. Although it was somewhat predictable, it was also engaging. I felt Arthur was believable in his emotions and his actions. I felt for him almost immediately. About halfway through the book I read the author's note and discovered that St. James (Hampton) was a real person, and his throne is real and displayed in the Smithsonian. That was a shock! When I finished the book, I looked him up online and saw color pictures of the throne. It's incredible! Just ...more
Zane Jones
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Ummmm... Cute story, but something's so obviously missing. How can you have heaven without God? (Spoiler: You can't.) God was so blatantly not there in this story. I'm docking one star for that reason, and another star for the bad language used a few times throughout the book.
KMS Gr6 Library: The Seventh Most Important Thing 1 1 Sep 17, 2017 11:37AM
  • Chasing Secrets
  • Paper Things
  • Ruby on the Outside
  • Paper Wishes
I grew up in a blue-collar suburb of Cleveland called Parma where I used to write stories in a bedroom closet (aka my writer’s office). I tried to get my first novel – a 40 page handwritten story called “I am the Only One Left” - published when I was thirteen. As you can probably guess, it was rejected!

It took about twenty years before I finally had my first published book, Trouble Don’t Last (Kno
More about Shelley Pearsall

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Some angels are like peacocks. Others are less flashy. Like city pigeons. It all depends on the wings.” 9 likes