Start by marking “The Year My Life Broke” as Want to Read:
The Year My Life Broke

The Year My Life Broke

You move into the most boring street in the most boring town in Australia. Tarrawagga is a hole. Its only ambition is to be a crater, and it has every chance of getting there.

The last thing you expect is to have action all around you, dangerous strangers in the backyard, and bullets flying past your ears.

At your new school, everyone thinks you're the biggest loser in Grade
Published 2013 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Year My Life Broke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year My Life Broke

Sharyn Swanepoel
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a talent John Marsden is.
I read this to get aquainted with middle-grade books again.. potential writing project, and enjoyed it much more than expected.
I hate cricket, but Marsden had me barracking for the team and enjoying every bowl along the way.
I listened to the audio book read by Marsden himself.
Lachlan Zissis
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The year my life broke is a book that focuses on a kid who has a hidden talent for cricket. He changes schools and doesn't play cricket until he discovers how good he is. It is a good book and worth reading.
Erika
Dec 17, 2013 added it
Shelves: for-kids
I'm definitely not the target market for this book (children around grade 6 age, give or take a few years, and children who like cricket) but as a John Marsden tragic and teacher of children in the target market I thought I'd best read it. Of course it was nothing like his other books. To me it felt like he was telling, not showing, and not delving into his normal deep territory. It seemed like a series of plot points stuck together. "This happened, then this happened, and suddenly this happened ...more
Christine
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
An easy read from John Marsden. Josh and his family are forced to move from their expensive home and lifestyle to a small country town. Josh pretends he's a loser & can't play cricket at all when in fact he's a cricket legend at his old school. A little bit of mystery and quite a bit of cricket. Year 5 to Year 8.
Sandi Faulconbridge
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, school, 2014
A really enjoyable read. I'm not a cricket person myself but the mix of sport, family life, suspense and John's use of teen Aussie language made for a great book.
This would make a really good read-aloud for upper primary school, and be enjoyed by year 6 and upwards readers for their own reading.
Dale
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: grade-3-4, grade5-6, tween
Solid book for Grade 4-6 boys. Especially if they are in to sports.
Corien
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, ya-books
Sarah Thornton
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not as compelling as his other books, no sense of urgency or mystery. Feel like it's a repeat of Looking for Trouble. I'm not a fan of cricket though, so if you are then maybe it's not a slow read.
Angela
Overall I enjoyed this and I feel year 6 [10 yrs ] up to 12 yrs [and other ages if they were super keen on cricket] would be attracted to this book.
It involves a boy who has to move house as his parents' financial situation has deteriorated drastically and they are offered a house to rent in another town which belongs to the main character's grandfather. So a well plumbed situation but the rest has novelty, excitement, mystery going for it. The main character has been a rep cricket player back h
Gaby
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: grades-5-6, on-shelf
I am not a huge cricket fan, nor in any way familiar with the game, yet I still found this book enjoyable to read. I may not have understood all the cricket references, but the energy in the story was well conveyed. Marsden created some good characters and a few great action scenes. I liked the explicit mention that it was unusual for girls not to be included in the cricket team. The book ended, however, just when I wanted to know more! I wanted to see what happened next!

A fun book that I would
Lynda
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-teens, sport
Josh is sporty, popular and living a great life until his parents become bankrupt and they shift to a dodgy new town. At his new school, Josh becomes a total outsider, even hated by the PE teacher, until events at school and home start to take on their own extraordinary momentum. Fast and funny! Another amazing story from John Marsden.
Alison Condliffe
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, got totally involved, even with all the cricket parts. A really good book for grades 4- 6 as it has issues you could discuss and humor. Would read this to a class as a read aloud.
Nova
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even though I would rather watch paint dry than read about or watch cricket, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It is funny, real-life, well-written and has a good message. I bought a set of them for school to use as a text!
Linette
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
A fun, if predictable story-line. Shame John Marsden felt the need to put too much swearing in. You can tell a good story from the point of view of a 13 year old boy without having that many rude words.
Michelle
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A cheeky little novel from a great Australian children's / Young Adult writer. Good sense of humour - will especially be liked by cricket affectionardos.
Archie
Aug 03, 2014 added it
I liked it because it was about cricket and sport and lots of other cool things.
Daniella Hofinger
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too much cricket talk for me to stay interested..
Tania
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book for older kids. Lots of suspense, but disappointed about the amount of swearing in it.
Venkat
Sep 21, 2015
Jacinta Guthridge
Feb 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
There is more than one author with this name in the database, see f.e. John Marsden

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series