Start by marking “Murder out of the Blue (Maliha Anderson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder out of the Blue (Maliha Anderson, #1)

Murder out of the Blue (Maliha Anderson #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
A gruesome death. An airship full of suspects. A true steampunk whodunnit.

Maliha Anderson, a brilliant and fiercely independent Anglo-Indian, is on her way home to make peace with her past and future. When the nurse of a wheelchair-bound General turns up dead, the accusations begin to fly as fast as the Sky Liner RMS Macedonia zips across the clouds. Unlike the baffled aut
Published December 1st 2013 by Tau Press Ltd (first published November 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Murder out of the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder out of the Blue

Anita
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk is new to me and this book showed me how nice it is to just sit back and go with the alternate universe where a difference like Faraday's discovering anti-gravity can change things. I found it very relaxing to let my mind flow in this way.

From the beginning of the reading, I knew I was in good hands with Steve Turnbull. His story has a classical feel to it. I did not feel bombarded with odd things, but just fell naturally into the story where things are not like they are here/now. I e
Rosemary Kenny
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of whodunits and feisty female sleuths.
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Murder Out of the Blue - a review by Rosemary Kenny

Not on the same level as E M Forster's A Passage to India, but with some of the same elements, Steve Turnbull's fascinating tale of heroine Maliha Anderson's unconventional parentage (a Scottish Presbyterian father and a Hindu mother), leaves her a somewhat of a social disadvantage as she travels to India aboard an airship powered by the Faraday effect, that has all the class distinctions of a sea-going liner or indeed the Orient Express.

The la
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
As light relief after the intensity of The Ark Before Noah, I chose one of my new steampunk books for my next read. Bought as part of the Indie Steampunk Book Extravaganza 2 (a Facebook event), Murder Out Of The Blue is a novella by a new-to-me indie author and I was primarily attracted to it by the atmospheric cover art and it's price - 77p on Kindle at time of writing.
Murder Out Of The Blue is set a little later than other steampunks I've read and this particular world isn't at all reliant on
Richard Kendrick
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Murder Out of the Blue is a steampunk murder-mystery set aboard a luxury airship and strongly written in the Victorian style. This is a thoughtful study of class, gender and racial prejudices in an alternate steam-era history. So if you're looking for air pirates and swashbuckling, this isn't it.
The protagonist is a bi-racial (Indian and British) young woman, at once driven by a strong moral code and tempered by the desire to stay out of the limelight. Hints at her backstory make her complex and
Andrea Jackson
Nicely plotted little mystery. Maliha is an interesting character, but I would like to have known more about her past. There were only a few hints. That was likely due to the short length of the book. Also Mr. Crier remains a total enigma. That's notable because other secondary characters came in with spot-on clarity.

Incidentally there was very little mechanical or technical stuff in this book but that's not a minus for me. What details the author used of journeying in a derigible were interesti
S.C. Gregory
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Despite its short length, I didn't find the story lacking in intrigue, suspense or mystery.

I loved the whole theme of the book. As a reader, I could almost smell the leather of those high-backed chairs, the slight squeamishness of first being bereft of gravity and the overall atmosphere was altogether very well detailed.

And when the first of many plot twists hooked me in, there was no way I could put it down!

Maliha was an interesting character. I felt a certain empathy with her. In this world s
Ed Fleetwood
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this is ostensibly a novella of the "steampunk" genre, the milieu takes a back seat to the events and characters of this alternate point in history. In truth, this is more of a classical whodunnit; and, while there are enough red herrings and misdirectors to keep you guessing, when the denouement arrives the earlier clues that may have seemed insignificant at the time all slot into place.
Running at a mere 84 pages, there's still plenty of time to get at least a taste of what the author de
Betty
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
This was my first steam-punk story and if the others are as good as this one, it definitely won't be my last. I was afraid it would be heavy on the technical end of things, but was pleasantly surprised. There's enough technical description to satisfy my curiosity, but it is in the background. It was important to the story, but was not the key focus. The human story was compelling enough to make suspending disbelief relatively easy. Despite technical advances of the steam-punk gadgetry, social at ...more
Ruth
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting main character in the time of English colonial views still prevail pre WWI. Main character is a young lady returning to Ceylon after English boarding school. Maliha has an English father and Ceylonese mother. After a world of downwards glances and snobbery towards her, she longs for home and family once again. However she will come of age on this steampunk airship; surviving a murder among the first class passengers, hints of prewar ideas beginning to hint at what may come, death in ...more
JT
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curl-up-and-read
It doesn't seem to matter that I read my first Maliha Anderson mystery out of sequence as each story is complete and self-contained. Again, this one did not disappoint. The writing is easy reading and both plotlines and characters are intricate and well-developed. If you have an hour of 'me' time, I highly suggest that you read this fast-moving, intricate little mystery.
Sharon M. Turner
Steam punk stories are fascinating!

Maliha is traveling home from her school on a steam punk airship. Traveling first class was very nice and quiet elegant. When one of her acquaintances is murdered she begins to puzzle out the who and the why. Very interesting twist in the story.
Marie Snyder
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastical reality

A young Miss Marlow of Indian heritage. An enjoyable blend of 18th and 21st century. I'll be reading book two.
L.Joy Dunnigan
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different but Enjoyed

A different read set in an unusual setting. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next mystery. Quick read!
Carol Morgan
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Little slow at first, it was just setting up the story. Before I knew it, I was intrigued. Good read.
Christen Davis
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder mystery aboard an airship. What more do you need?
Clay Davis
A slow mystery that was interesting to read.
karen wendt
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Fun steampunk mystery. Will look for more. Love the futurism. Hate that I have to use so many words in order to post this
Mordechai Bodner
Short but Sweet

Murder is far from sweet but the presentation of the story was just that. Maliha performed admirably looking forward to more .
Bonnie Keck
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Unlimited, writer of several sets {sets ku, when sold separate may not be}. Serialized type would say and a bit steam punk and mystery adventure.

Maliha Anderson, Books 1-3
Harry Takes Off: Books 1 - 3
Frozen Beauty: Books 1 - 3
The Faraday Cage {different writers, more like small anthology from voidships universe}
Elona (Patterner's Path Book 1) {different than the above, probably due a couple more installments too, more sci fi less steampunk than others}}
Suzanne
I was drawn by the cover on this one, and was not disappointed .. I do like this era, when women are starting to show themselves as independent and more than capable .. set onboard a fantasy Airship, it was a fast paced murder mystery .. would read another
Jason
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
S.A. Gibson
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Murder out of the Blue is a light entertaining read. I easily finished it in three days. It is about half the length of the average full size fiction work.

This steampunk story is set in an alternate world of English empire, at maybe the late 1800s. There is heavier than air travel and even space travel. The story is completely set on an airship traveling from Africa to India.

The heroine is a young Indian woman who is a first class passenger and a well-to-do citizen of the empire, but who faces
Shen Hart
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shen-reviews
This is a well-executed mystery with a distinct Victorian air about it which works well with the setting of the story. The author succeeds in giving hints at the world through little glimpses without any major info-dumps, and the characters are all distinct with strong voices. There were some formatting errors which led to moments of jarring, but overall the book is polished to a high degree. This will appeal to readers of mysteries and no doubt leave them wanting more from this author.

Full Re
Gordon
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, crime
Actually, this is a novella. This is a crime novel set in a steampunk universe, but the protagonist is not a steampunk hero, but rather a crime investigator.

The use of sexuality as a red herring was new to me in the crime steampunk genre.

I felt that the resolution was forced too quickly, but it was a satisfactory conclusion.
Eduardo Suastegui
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once you get going, you will soon realize the rich, descriptive prose is immersing—or rather, permeating—you, into a Steampunk journey that will feel very British Empire and Orient Express, with a Faraday device thrown in.

Read my full review at my blog...
Elsbeth
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Miss Marple is back! Only this time she is a young Indian woman. But she is just as likeable and just as smart. And, just like Hercule Poirot on the Nile, she solves the murder on the vessel she is on. Only it is floating through air. Really nice story. I'm looking forward to reading the second mysterie with Maliha Anderson.
Thank you, Steve Turnbull, for sharing this!
Deena
This was pretty good, but as I find with so many other novellas, it was too lacking in depth for me to really enjoy it. I'm not even sure why I keep trying works of this length, as I always have this problem with them. I'll certainly try another one, especially as the 4th title in the series is supposedly going to be full-length, and I did enjoy Maliha.
NVTony
Huge fan of Steampunk and Turnbull did not disappoint. Other reviewers with synopsis give enough hints as to reading adventure which awaits. Received copy for honest review. If you enjoy a good mystery this one is for you.
Jakenv
Too short left me wanting more which I definitely will be reading. Find Steampunk mysteries have an added intrigue. Author knows his area so whether Steampunk or mystery fan you will be pleased.
Dayle
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Loved it! Maybe a bit more detail about her injury, hopefully the next book will fill in more information. I'm looking forward to the next book..
« previous 1 3 4 next »
When he's not sitting at his computer building websites for national institutions and international companies, Steve Turnbull can be found sitting at his computer building new worlds of steampunk, science fiction and fantasy.

Technically Steve was born a cockney but after five years he was moved out from London to the suburbs where he grew up and he talks posh now. He's been a voracious reader of s
More about Steve Turnbull

Maliha Anderson (5 books)
  • Blood Sky at Night (Maliha Anderson, #2)
  • Halo Round the Moon (Maliha Anderson, #3)
  • Wind in the East (Maliha Anderson, #4)
  • Thunder Over the Grass (Maliha Anderson, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • The Woman in the Window
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spree (Codename: Chandler #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
  • Silent Victim
  • In Farleigh Field
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonfeather (Gibson Vaughn, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dark Mind (Lizzy Gardner #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Thunder of Heaven (The End Series, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time Heals No Wounds (Baltic Sea Crime #1)
  • The Good Samaritan
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Looking Glass  (The Naturalist #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite #1)