Start by marking “Murder out of the Blue (Maliha Anderson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder out of the Blue (Maliha Anderson, #1)

Murder out of the Blue

(Maliha Anderson #1)

A gruesome death. An airship full of suspects. A true steampunk whodunnit.

Maliha Anderson, a brilliant and fiercely independent Anglo-Indian, is on her way home to make peace with her past and future. When the nurse of a wheelchair-bound General turns up dead, the accusations begin to fly as fast as the Sky Liner RMS Macedonia zips across the clouds. Unlike the baffled aut
Published December 1st 2013 by Tau Press Ltd (first published November 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Murder out of the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder out of the Blue

Start your review of Murder out of the Blue (Maliha Anderson, #1)
Anita
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk is new to me and this book showed me how nice it is to just sit back and go with the alternate universe where a difference like Faraday's discovering anti-gravity can change things. I found it very relaxing to let my mind flow in this way.

From the beginning of the reading, I knew I was in good hands with Steve Turnbull. His story has a classical feel to it. I did not feel bombarded with odd things, but just fell naturally into the story where things are not like they are here/now. I e
Rosemary
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of whodunits and feisty female sleuths.
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Murder Out of the Blue - a review by Rosemary Kenny

Not on the same level as E M Forster's A Passage to India, but with some of the same elements, Steve Turnbull's fascinating tale of heroine Maliha Anderson's unconventional parentage (a Scottish Presbyterian father and a Hindu mother), leaves her a somewhat of a social disadvantage as she travels to India aboard an airship powered by the Faraday effect, that has all the class distinctions of a sea-going liner or indeed the Orient Express.

The la
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
As light relief after the intensity of The Ark Before Noah, I chose one of my new steampunk books for my next read. Bought as part of the Indie Steampunk Book Extravaganza 2 (a Facebook event), Murder Out Of The Blue is a novella by a new-to-me indie author and I was primarily attracted to it by the atmospheric cover art and it's price - 77p on Kindle at time of writing.
Murder Out Of The Blue is set a little later than other steampunks I've read and this particular world isn't at all reliant on
Richard Kendrick
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Murder Out of the Blue is a steampunk murder-mystery set aboard a luxury airship and strongly written in the Victorian style. This is a thoughtful study of class, gender and racial prejudices in an alternate steam-era history. So if you're looking for air pirates and swashbuckling, this isn't it.
The protagonist is a bi-racial (Indian and British) young woman, at once driven by a strong moral code and tempered by the desire to stay out of the limelight. Hints at her backstory make her complex and
Andrea Jackson
Nicely plotted little mystery. Maliha is an interesting character, but I would like to have known more about her past. There were only a few hints. That was likely due to the short length of the book. Also Mr. Crier remains a total enigma. That's notable because other secondary characters came in with spot-on clarity.

Incidentally there was very little mechanical or technical stuff in this book but that's not a minus for me. What details the author used of journeying in a derigible were interesti
Ed Fleetwood
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this is ostensibly a novella of the "steampunk" genre, the milieu takes a back seat to the events and characters of this alternate point in history. In truth, this is more of a classical whodunnit; and, while there are enough red herrings and misdirectors to keep you guessing, when the denouement arrives the earlier clues that may have seemed insignificant at the time all slot into place.
Running at a mere 84 pages, there's still plenty of time to get at least a taste of what the author de
S.C. Gregory
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Despite its short length, I didn't find the story lacking in intrigue, suspense or mystery.

I loved the whole theme of the book. As a reader, I could almost smell the leather of those high-backed chairs, the slight squeamishness of first being bereft of gravity and the overall atmosphere was altogether very well detailed.

And when the first of many plot twists hooked me in, there was no way I could put it down!

Maliha was an interesting character. I felt a certain empathy with her. In this world s
Clay Davis
A slow mystery that was interesting to read.
Paul
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Maliha Anderson steampunk mystery series. The worldbuilding is seamless; being unfamiliar with steampunk, I wondered about the Faraday engines, but the world of steampunk is seamlessly integrated into the story. And Maliha Anderson is a wonderful character: in my opinion, Turnbull gave her not only a unique voice and gave her believable reactions to difficult and racially insensitive situation, but also provided an irresistible taste to an enticing backstory.
However
Betty
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
This was my first steam-punk story and if the others are as good as this one, it definitely won't be my last. I was afraid it would be heavy on the technical end of things, but was pleasantly surprised. There's enough technical description to satisfy my curiosity, but it is in the background. It was important to the story, but was not the key focus. The human story was compelling enough to make suspending disbelief relatively easy. Despite technical advances of the steam-punk gadgetry, social at ...more
Ruth
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting main character in the time of English colonial views still prevail pre WWI. Main character is a young lady returning to Ceylon after English boarding school. Maliha has an English father and Ceylonese mother. After a world of downwards glances and snobbery towards her, she longs for home and family once again. However she will come of age on this steampunk airship; surviving a murder among the first class passengers, hints of prewar ideas beginning to hint at what may come, death in ...more
JT
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curl-up-and-read
It doesn't seem to matter that I read my first Maliha Anderson mystery out of sequence as each story is complete and self-contained. Again, this one did not disappoint. The writing is easy reading and both plotlines and characters are intricate and well-developed. If you have an hour of 'me' time, I highly suggest that you read this fast-moving, intricate little mystery.
Sharon M. Turner
Steam punk stories are fascinating!

Maliha is traveling home from her school on a steam punk airship. Traveling first class was very nice and quiet elegant. When one of her acquaintances is murdered she begins to puzzle out the who and the why. Very interesting twist in the story.
Patricia Gulley
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first steampunk mystery and I really like it. Love the flying machine and the main character. And it looks like the series continues in Ceylon. A good mystery. Not 5 stars just because the repeated descriptions got over long.
L.Joy Dunnigan
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different but Enjoyed

A different read set in an unusual setting. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next mystery. Quick read!
karen wendt
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Fun steampunk mystery. Will look for more. Love the futurism. Hate that I have to use so many words in order to post this
Marie Snyder
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastical reality

A young Miss Marlow of Indian heritage. An enjoyable blend of 18th and 21st century. I'll be reading book two.
Mordechai Bodner
Short but Sweet

Murder is far from sweet but the presentation of the story was just that. Maliha performed admirably looking forward to more .
Christen Davis
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder mystery aboard an airship. What more do you need?
Carol Morgan
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Little slow at first, it was just setting up the story. Before I knew it, I was intrigued. Good read.
Chris Blackton
I have a love/hate relationship with this novella -- too much info/not enough info, lesbian/gay/transgender all in one short book. Not sure what difference the steampunk made to the story.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Kindle Unlimited, writer of several sets {sets ku, when sold separate may not be}. Serialized type would say and a bit steam punk and mystery adventure.

Maliha Anderson, Books 1-3
Harry Takes Off: Books 1 - 3
Frozen Beauty: Books 1 - 3
The Faraday Cage {different writers, more like small anthology from voidships universe}
Elona (Patterner's Path Book 1) {different than the above, probably due a couple more installments too, more sci fi less steampunk than others}}
Suzanne
I was drawn by the cover on this one, and was not disappointed .. I do like this era, when women are starting to show themselves as independent and more than capable .. set onboard a fantasy Airship, it was a fast paced murder mystery .. would read another
Jason
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
S.A. Gibson
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Murder out of the Blue is a light entertaining read. I easily finished it in three days. It is about half the length of the average full size fiction work.

This steampunk story is set in an alternate world of English empire, at maybe the late 1800s. There is heavier than air travel and even space travel. The story is completely set on an airship traveling from Africa to India.

The heroine is a young Indian woman who is a first class passenger and a well-to-do citizen of the empire, but who faces
Shen Hart
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shen-reviews
This is a well-executed mystery with a distinct Victorian air about it which works well with the setting of the story. The author succeeds in giving hints at the world through little glimpses without any major info-dumps, and the characters are all distinct with strong voices. There were some formatting errors which led to moments of jarring, but overall the book is polished to a high degree. This will appeal to readers of mysteries and no doubt leave them wanting more from this author.

Full Re
Elsbeth
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Miss Marple is back! Only this time she is a young Indian woman. But she is just as likeable and just as smart. And, just like Hercule Poirot on the Nile, she solves the murder on the vessel she is on. Only it is floating through air. Really nice story. I'm looking forward to reading the second mysterie with Maliha Anderson.
Thank you, Steve Turnbull, for sharing this!
Deena
This was pretty good, but as I find with so many other novellas, it was too lacking in depth for me to really enjoy it. I'm not even sure why I keep trying works of this length, as I always have this problem with them. I'll certainly try another one, especially as the 4th title in the series is supposedly going to be full-length, and I did enjoy Maliha.
Gordon
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, steampunk
Actually, this is a novella. This is a crime novel set in a steampunk universe, but the protagonist is not a steampunk hero, but rather a crime investigator.

The use of sexuality as a red herring was new to me in the crime steampunk genre.

I felt that the resolution was forced too quickly, but it was a satisfactory conclusion.
Eduardo Suastegui
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once you get going, you will soon realize the rich, descriptive prose is immersing—or rather, permeating—you, into a Steampunk journey that will feel very British Empire and Orient Express, with a Faraday device thrown in.

Read my full review at my blog...
Goodreads Librari...: New front cover 4 23 Jul 14, 2015 05:49PM
Science Fiction B...: Indian Steampunk ~ FREE ON AMAZON 1 2 Mar 30, 2015 09:55AM
Indian Readers: Indian Steampunk ~ FREE ON AMAZON 1 7 Mar 30, 2015 09:54AM
Steampunk Reads : Journey into Space, 1874 - Free Audio Book 3 11 Sep 18, 2014 01:41PM
Steampunk Reads : Murder Mystery Steampunk - on a Sky-Liner 9 57 Mar 06, 2014 08:00PM

• Marigolds and Murder (Port Danby Mystery #1)
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The Honeymoon Cottage (Pajaro Bay, #1)
  • The Tipping Point (A Wainwright Mystery)
  • A Body on the Porch (Dekker Cozy Mystery, #10)
  • From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • First Touch (Imprints  #0.5)
  • Deadly Secrets (Mapleton Mystery #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Maggie Mulgrew Mysteries #1)
  • Poison in Paddington (Cassie Coburn Mystery #1)
  • Elusive (On The Run, #1)
  • Death in Room 7 (Pine Lake Inn #1)
  • In for a Penny (Seasoned Southern Sleuths Cozy Mystery Book #1)
  • Frozen Statues (Perdition Games)
  • Flo Charts (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries)
  • Murder on the SS Rosa
  • 21 Dares
When he's not sitting at his computer building websites for national institutions and international companies, Steve Turnbull can be found sitting at his computer building new worlds of steampunk, science fiction and fantasy.

Technically Steve was born a cockney but after five years he was moved out from London to the suburbs where he grew up and he talks posh now. He's been a voracious reader of s

Maliha Anderson (5 books)
  • Blood Sky at Night (Maliha Anderson, #2)
  • Halo Round the Moon (Maliha Anderson, #3)
  • Wind in the East (Maliha Anderson, #4)
  • Thunder Over the Grass (Maliha Anderson, #5)