Start by marking “Caged in Winter (Reluctant Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caged in Winter (Reluctant Hearts, #1)

Caged in Winter

(Reluctant Hearts #1)

In this emotional and sexy New Adult debut from Brighton Walsh, the only thing more frightening than commitment is hope…...

Aspiring chef Cade Maxwell is immediately, viscerally attracted to Winter Jacobson. But it’s not her mouthwatering curves he’s drawn to—it’s the strange emptiness in her eyes. When Cade saves her from a drunken customer with grabby hands, he’s shock
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 304 pages
Published November 4th 2014 by Berkley Books

Start your review of Caged in Winter (Reluctant Hearts, #1)
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Someone please tell me that this book is a parody.

Seriously, though. Se-riou-sly. Where am I supposed to start?

✔ With the caricatural characters who made me lose patience almost instantly?

✔ With the cliché and repetitive writing?

✔ With the clumsy narrative and the failed alternative POV? (sorry, but when both voices sound the same, it is a fail)

✔ Oh, no. Let's start with the stalker oh-so-endearing thought of having someone waiting for you at the end of your shift every day and asking you out
Whitney Atkinson
DNF. i'm tired of reading shitty new adult and there's better stuff for me to read
Patrycja
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
3.5 stars!
Jaime Arkin
You guys... I may be biased, but this book is what I shall measure all my upcoming New Adult reads against.

“You’re the one with the key to your own cage. You’re the one keeping yourself locked up tight.”

Remember that time my BFF wrote a book and it was amazeballs?

Yeah, this is another one of those times. (Yes! Go read her other stuff too!)

I know, I know… you’re probably thinking if it was written by my BFF that I have to be exaggerating about how good it is. But I’m not. I’m absolutely not
Danielle (Love at First Page)
4.5-5 stars

It's official: I have a new favorite romance author. Brighton Walsh already impressed me with her holiday novella, Season of Second Chances, but she blew me away with Caged in Winter. There are some books you just connect with, and this is one of them. The writing is raw and realistic, the characters captivating, and I couldn't stop swooning over this beautiful love story. I really can't express how much I enjoyed it. I wish I could read it for the first time over and over again.

The
1-Click Addict Support Group
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
After having read and enjoyed the excellent Tessa Ever After, I was essentially chomping at the bit to get my hands on more of Brighton Walsh’s work. Especially this, the first book in the Reluctant Hearts series. Having seen a little of Cade and Winter through Tessa and Jason’s story, I was most definitely intrigued to know more about them. And now I do? I'm thinking a re-read of both books might be in order…

With eyes that don't lie, Cade Maxwell can tell that Winter Jacobson is hiding somethin
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Caged in Winter is the story of Winter and Cade, two college students both carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders. Winter has been fending for herself since before she can remember. Resigned to a life of solitude, she is focused solely on getting by, keeping the job she hates as a scantily-clad waitress just long enough to graduate from college and move on. Cade is an aspiring chef whose goal is to travel and open his own restaurant, goals coming only second to caring for his sister ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-adult
Last year I read two adult contemporary romances by Brighton Walsh and really enjoyed them. When I heard she was publishing with Penguin, I got excited. I don’t read a ton of new adult, but her previous books were very smartly written so I thought I’d give Caged in Winter a try. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me.

Winter works at a bar that forces her to wear a very skimpy outfit – she hates it, but she makes good tips. With only two months to go until college graduation, she knows she can suck
Jessica B.
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I might be a little biased, but IDGAF. Good writing is good writing, and this is just wonderful. Swoony boy feels, an independent girl (to a fault), and a New Adult that isn't chock full of drama llamas. It's real and heartfelt without being overdone which is exactly what I look what I look for in contemporary.

Don't get me wrong, there were some ugly tears, but it's because you truly feel what Winter has gone through. (Two words: ice cream. You'll see.)

Oh...and a tatted up, motorcycle riding, c
Rachel Harris
Delicious! Captivating, sexy, and empowering, Walsh has created the perfect recipe for an unforgettable romance. Cade Maxwell is the best kind of hero--strong yet gentle, ambitious yet selfless. And WInter is a heroine to cheer for. A fabulous debut!
Cézanne Hayden-Dilbert
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
::insert fan girl squeal:: I LOVED Caged In Winter!! Better yet I loved Cade. He is the epitome of the perfect book boyfriend. From the first few chapters, I just knew there was something special about this book. These were exactly the kind of characters and story that I love. It was heartfelt, sweet, and engaging. Brighton Walsh wrote this story flawlessly. Her writing not only drew me into the book but it made me fall in love with her characters.

Cade and Winter, meet when he steps in to help h
Coco.V
May 02, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (5/2/2018)!💝
Becky
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
*ARC provided via NetGalley for an honest review*

4.5 Stars

I have to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this book. First, this was a "new to me" author and while I love finding new ones to add to my list, it is always a bit nerve wracking at the same time. I always hate to read someone's work and not like it, no matter who they are. Secondly, the synopsis sounded like every other NA that has been hitting the stands lately. Boy meets broken girl, he plays white knight to save her a
Christina
I reviewed this title with my blog mate Amy. You can find our original review of this book here on The Book Hookup.

**SPECIAL NOTE:** A print ARC of this title was provided by the publisher to both Amy and Christina in exchange for their honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Quick Thoughts and Rating:

Amy: 5 Michelin Stars! I’m SOOOOOOOOOOO in love with the love that W
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
I got a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review.

3.5 Stars!

Winter doesn't really have anyone in her life. She works a crappy job that pays just enough for her to get by on a good day. She has seventy-six days before she graduates college and finally leaves this life behind her and hopefully start fresh until Cade Maxwell pushes his way into her life...

Cade Maxwell is studying to become a chef. He loves his sister and his niece dearly and thinks he has to support them.
Hannah
I feel like I’ve been waiting all year for a book like CAGED IN WINTER. I’m not sure what it is about this enigmatic, breathtaking book, but ever since I read this, I haven’t been able to stop raving about it and Brighton Walsh to anyone who will listen. It’s just that good.

In the surface, it seems like any other formulaic new adult story (both traditionally published and self-published) that is saturating the market right now. It’s why I skipped over this book for several weeks while it sat idl
Fmbee
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I need to begin this review with a confession: I'm not really a fan of the New Adult genre. But the thing is I really, REALLY want to be! I adore the idea of reading stories about older high schoolers, college students, and adults in their early 20s; however, I'm rarely able to find a novel that can execute such a story in a compelling way. More often than not, NA books I read are an odd combination of YA and intense erotica, which leave me feeling confused and awkward.

But every once in awhile,
Dahlia
I liked this one! Plenty hot, tons of chemistry, and I'm a sucker for a guy who cooks. Cade definitely danced on the line of protective vs. overly possessive, but I appreciated that that was acknowledged by pretty much every single other character in the book. I also liked that he continued to have friends, in addition to taking care of his sister and niece; so often I feel like guys in these kinds of books end up being creepy solitary, and I really liked that not only was Cade not that guy, but ...more
Brighton Walsh
Feb 03, 2016 marked it as my-books  ·  (Review from the author)
For up-to-date information on releases and news as well as exclusive giveaways and content, sign up for my newsletter!

Caged in Winter is the first book in the Reluctant Hearts series but can be read as a standalone novel.

2.3
✷ Antonella ✷

Want to read a flawless, refreshing NA romance?
Want to read a story with strong, real characters that you can't help but fall in love with?
Want to read a NA without that overdone and unnecessary drama that seems to feature this genre?

Then that's the book for you.
caren
I love everything Brighton does. She will make you feel, make you sweat and make you fall in love. Do not miss out on this series!
Bookish Temptations
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book needs to be on your pre-order list! I floved it! Review to come.
Nicole
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This was not my usual genre, but I still enjoyed the adorable love story (with some hot and heavy parts)! Glad I read it.
Pretty Sassy Cool
4-1/2 stars.

This review also appears on Pretty Sassy Cool.

I've been a fangirl of Brighton Walsh and the stories she weaves for many years, and I cannot say enough good things about how awesome she is. We did an interview with her on Swoony Boys Podcast, so definitely check that out! As you probably already know, New Adult is pretty much my favorite genre right now, and Caged in Winter is a must read.

Abandoned by her single-parent mother, Winter Jacobson has been on her own since she was a li
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

Caged in Winter is a love story about two people who are similarly situated in life, both trying to achieve their dreams. Cade and Winter weren’t looking for love. They weren’t trying to find “their Person,” but they did. They crashed into each others’ lives and changed for the better. Diehard fans of the new adult genre will enjoy this one, but for me this one missed the mark.

Winter grew up in the foster care system, being shuffled from family to family. As an adult, due to her abandonment
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

Caged In Winter is the kind of book that reminds me of when the New Adult genre was very new. I loved the books I read then and I loved Caged In Winter as well. This book was beautiful. Both Cade and Winter have scars from their past and because of that they have a clear plan for the future, and neither one of them was looking for a relationship, but one found them.

Winter is a tough cookie. Her past is rough and life has dealt her a shitty hand, bu
Brittany
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read more reviews on Britt’s Book and Life Blog. You can also connect with me on Facebook.

I haven’t been feeling much love for NA lately. I’ve been waiting for a book to come along that would make me love NA again. One that was unique and original. Well, Caged In Winter is that book.

Caged In Winter might sound like your typical NA from the synopsis but I can assure you that it is really a refreshing, beautiful, unique, original, emotional, and just oh-so-good.
Caged In Winter centers around the r
Red Cheeks Reads
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
‘I can’t get enough of her, this complicated girl who fell into my life. I want to know everything about her. Her quirks and her fears and her hopes and dreams, the tiny things that make her her.’

Caged In Winter is the story of a closed off girl and the man who finally brings her to her knees. Let’s start by saying I adored Cade. He was all things yummy. Determined, protective, a loving family oriented man who puts everything that is important to him aside in order to win over the girl he kn
Stacee
I've loved all of Brighton's previous things and this book didn't disappoint.

Love love love the dual POV. Winter and Cade couldn't be more different and that makes being in each of their heads even more entertaining. Throw in an adorable little girl and some amusing friends and you've got a recipe for awesome.

Winter is understandably sort of hard to like. She's stubborn and closed off and I wanted to jump in the book and simultaneously hug and slap her. The fact that Brighton makes you like Wi
CeCe
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Winter works at a bar as a waitress. She pretends to be happy and flirty to get more tips. Sometimes this gives men the wrong idea. One night, Cage is out with his friends and he “saves” Winter from one of her customers bothering her. Winter just wants to survive and pay her bills. Cage wants to be a chef, but her has in own responsibilities that prevent him to going after his dreams. These two people meet and their story begins.

I liked Cage a lot. However, I thought Winter was a little too hot

• Love from Left Field (Knights of Passion, #2)
  • Just Roll With It (A Perfect Dish Book 4)
  • Burndown (Nitro Crew, #1)
  • Game Saver (Game #3)
  • Troubles (Beekman Hills, #1)
  • Summer Heat (Wild Pitch, #1)
  • The Hazards of Skinny Dipping (Hazards, #1)
  • The Sweet Taste of Sin (The Fontaines, #1)
  • Play (Play, #1)
  • Bare Ass in Love (Hard, Fast, and Forever, #1)
  • Winning his Heart (Marietta St. Claire's, #2)
  • Inferno of Love (Firefighters of Long Valley, #2)
  • Dreaming of You (Magnolia Valley, #1)
  • Mr. Pink (The Case Brothers, #1)
  • Catch My Fall (Catch, #1)
  • Falling for the Bad Boy (Bedtime Reads, #1)
  • Tempting Levi (Cade Brothers, #1)
  • Seduce Me Sweetly (Heron's Landing, #1)
USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Brighton Walsh spent nearly a decade as a professional photographer before taking her storytelling in a different direction and reconnecting with her first love: writing. When she’s not lost in her own made up worlds, she’s probably either reading or shopping—maybe even both at once. She lives in the Midwest with her real life hero of a husband, ...more

Reluctant Hearts (3 books)
  • Tessa Ever After (Reluctant Hearts, #2)
  • Paige in Progress (Reluctant Hearts, #3)