Start by marking “Man Made Boy” as Want to Read:
Man Made Boy

Man Made Boy

(Man Made Boy #1)

Sixteen-year-old Boy's never left home. When you're the son of Frankenstein's monster and the Bride, it's tough to go out in public, unless you want to draw the attention of a torch-wielding mob. And since Boy and his family live in a secret enclave of monsters hidden under Times Square, it's important they maintain a low profile.

Boy's only interactions with the world are
Published November 1st 2013 by Allen & Unwin (first published October 3rd 2013)

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Allen and Unwin Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

Man Made Boy is many things and genres. A retelling, fantasy, romance, humorous and contemporary. However behind all this, Man Made Boy is a coming of age novel. Highly entertaining and relatable, Jon Skovron weaves a story suitable for all ages. While I would say more boys would love this, I still think anyone could fall in love.

Boy (yes, th
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more!
Man Made Boy is a mishmash of so many genres; it's a paranormal novel mixed with mythology, cyberpunk, fantasy, romance, and coming of age elements. I know it's a lot of genres and some readers might worry that Man Made Boy would be convoluted and full of plot holes. Man Made Boy is the complete opposite of convoluted; everything is well crafted, well thought-out and very intriguing.

If you think you've read strange books, then you
Tabitha
Man Made Boy was like reading the best B-Movie ever! I don’t know about everyone else but I’ve always been a big fan of B-Horror Movies because they were fun and always gave you the monsters in the classic way. That is exactly the way you’ll see them in this book, except you’ll see just how well those old monsters do or don’t adapt to the modern world.

I immediately fell in love with the character Boy and his quiet personality. Though I seriously wish his name would have been something other than
Shaheen
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderfully clever book! I wasn't expecting a book about the son of Frankenstein's Monster to be so ... human. For me, Man Made Boy is an unexpectedly inventive novel that uses some of the most famous monsters in mythology to explore what it means to be human.

The book is narrated by Boy, the child that the Monster and the Bride have stitched together. He lives in a community of other creatures: trolls, satyrs, fairies and a vampire. Boy feels stifled in this life - he wants to live amongs
C.G. Drews
This book is so stinking FUN. Just read that blurb. It’s like a siren screaming READ ME READ ME. The son of Frankenstein’s monster? Granddaughter of Jekyll and Hyde?!! Excuse me while I scream a laugh. This is genius.

Maybe the plot didn’t floor me, but the premise knocked my socks off. How awesome is it to read something quirky and fresh? This book sticks out – and better yet, it comes through with its sticky-out-ness. (That is totally a word.)

Characters? Eh, I’m going to rave, so keep calm. (O
Stephanie  G
Boy, the son of the monster Victor Frankenstein created and the Bride, is now a teenager. He grew up at The Show in New York City, but he’s never actually left the building. Other monsters live at The Show, but most of them take Boy’s family for granted. They’re too close to science for other monster’s comfort. Boy longs for the world outside, and has made a name for himself in the hacker online community. Boy doesn’t want to follow in his father’s footsteps. His father shares his plans for his ...more
paula
The Munsters meets Tom Sawyer in this fast and funny picaresque about finding your own way while learning to accept responsibility. Boy has inherited his father's size and strength and his mom's technical skills - even without sharing any of either of their genetic material, created as he was out of parts stolen from the morgue. He and his folks live with a motley coven of other monsters (vampire, brownie, werewolf, a couple of ogres, troop of trolls etc) under a Broadway theater, never coming o ...more
Bridget
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for teens. It has everything, geeky computery goodness, monsters - likeable monsters, evil conniving girls, goddesses who mess with your mind. Best of all the main characters parents are Frankenstein's monster and his Bride. There is lots of fun to be had in this book. Lots of action and lots of all kinds of good things and a little bit of mature content.
Deb
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love, love this book! Best book I have read this year.
Danya
I have always had kind of a complex relationship with Jon Skovron's books, and although Man Made Boy is by far my favourite, it's definitely no exception. Skovron writes really weird, really interesting novels; a bold move that doesn’t always work as well as one might hope.

Man Made Boy is narrated by the eponymous Boy (yes, that’s really his name; and yes, people comment on it relentlessly throughout the novel), the son of Frankenstein’s Monster and the Bride. Just like his parents, Boy was made
Sue
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a interesting grab bag of genres this turned out to be. Starts off as a sci-fi/fantasy, then morphs into a kind of quest, and then turns again into a high-tech thriller. Man Made Boy is definitely not a novel that can be placed in one genre alone. This, of course, makes it accessible for a number of readers, and that is great because I really enjoyed this book.
Boy is 16 going on 17, and has lived all his life in the theatre his parents, and a group of "monsters", call home. The Monster and
Jaclyn
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, I was disappointed by the movie "Edward Scissorhands" because I thought, "I'd like this better if Edward, like, grew up watching TV. And being kind of a normal kid. Except trapped in a castle with scissors for hands. And then when he finally got out into the world he would be the normal one compared to all the suburbanites."

I would've been a bad critique partner for Tim Burton, because I would be telling him what kind of story to write.

But this book made me think of that, becau
Sophia
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF review on Loving Lit

The summary is a lie. I got through half of the book before Boy went away with Jekyll and Hyde’s granddaughter(s), and for the first half, he was being stupid and lovesick, over a girl that was “too good for him”. But, she saw beyond the scars and fell in love with him. Inner beauty and true love conquers all. Ugh. Give me a break; this message is overused in YA, and it’s completely unrealistic.

Boy is boring. He didn’t have any personality or anything that made him speci
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Man Made Boy was sent to me by Penguin Young Readers group in exchange for an honest review.

Man Made Boy by Jon Skovron is definitely a unique read. It stars Boy, the son of Monster/Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. He resides in a troupe of otherworldly creatures, including Medusa and a troll girl that he's in love with. Boy is a talented hacker, but what he wants most of all is to go and live in the human world. At the same time, he creates a program, his masterpiece, that could be his t
Katie Acosta
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. Well, I guess that isn't saying much because I expected to hate it. It Isn't a book I would have ever chosen to read myself, but that is what book clubs are for, introducing you to books you wouldn't pick on your own. Although I came into it with a negative attitude I had changed my mind by the end of the first chapter. I really enjoyed the stories of fairy tale monster creatures coming together for safety and community in the cover o ...more
Tamara Geraeds
A very original story with lots of interesting characters. The biggest 'problem' I had with it was that it just didn't really get to me. I wasn't pulled into the story, I didn't feel much while reading it.
Also, I felt it was like two stories strangely combined into one. It contains two very interesting concepts, that should have been made into two different books. I think I would have loved both stores then.

I do like the characters and the way Boy gets out of the mess he has created in the end.
Tara
This book was awesome!! I love the idea of all of these magical monsters living in communes around the world (although it is sad that most of them have to stay hidden away) and Boy, the son of Frankenstein's monster and the Monster's bride, was a brilliant character to spend time with. Very much a coming of age story with teenage angst, restrictions and parents.... Breaking the rules, romance and finding out who you really are. Oh, and lots of little adventures along the way (dragon flying, tryi ...more
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-other
The Good: I really enjoyed this updated Frankenstein's monster tale, much more so than the original. I enjoyed how the Monster, Bride and Boy were portrayed, especially surrounded by other creatures of legend. The Show is a great setting and I even enjoyed Boy on-the-run, which I usually despise. Boys romances were both original and realistic in his world. The entire creation as creator plot was absolutely fantastic, well done and meaningful.

The Bad: I'm not sure I loved the ending. I felt it wa
Kim Baccellia
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading MAN MADE BOY by Jon Skovron Verdict: Creepy, hilarious read of the son of Frankenstein as he goes on a road trip with the granddaughter of Jekyl and Hyde while battling against his own creation and his heart. A total must read! I predict this book will be big!

YA Books Central review: http://www.yabookscentral.com/explore...
Kat Spears
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still in the middle of this book but I love it. Love. It. Not least of all because for once an author is trusting me to figure things out for myself by showing me rather than telling me. Instalove crush on Jon Skovron for his talent and skill.
In my quest for the perfect YA 19th century horror homage, I've traveled many roads, some of which - like Goss's The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter - should properly be marked DEAD END. Jon Skovron's Man Made Boy may not be the destination I'd hoped for, but it's a nice enough way station at which to pass some time.

Underneath Times Square, monsters gather, hidden from human sight - except for six times a week when they perform a host of mostly-innocuous magics onstage at The Show, a lo
Sara
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good book! I picked it out for a Halloween read, and it didn't really put me in the Halloween mood. It was more lighthearted and fun, which was great, too! Man Made Boy is basically about Frankenstein's son, and how he goes out to explore and try to find his own place in the world.

The characters were great! There was a ton of mythological creatures in this book, from Medusa to the Minotaur to La Llorona. I thought it was really cool to see all these legends and myths all together
Brittany
I’ve decided recently that I’m going to start listening to audiobooks when I take my daily walks. I’m not a fan of audiobooks, because I feel like I’m being read to. However, I’ve been wanting to utilize my time.

My library doesn’t have a lot to choose from that doesn’t have a waiting list a mile long, but I found Man Made Boy and was drawn to the cover, and then the description sealed the deal.

The narration is all done by the author, and his voice is very nice to listen to. He portrays all of th
Alyssa
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
It's stuff being the son of the Monster of Frankenstein and the Bride. He's not magical enough. If anything, Boy just wants to go outside. He wants to explore outside the Broadway show they work in. Lucky for him, he's a hacking genius. He'll think of something.

This was my Halloween read. Ever since I read the book description, I thought it will be a giod read.

Reality is, it was so dragging. It felt mundane reading it. I didn't mind the beginning but the exposition part of the story felt as if i
Shyla Colt
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still absorbing everything I read. Wow. This was one hell of a journey! I'm a huge horror buff, and this delivered with throwbacks to the classics, twisted, and updated to make it a new experience.

Boy is the son of Frankenstein and his Bride. that created a certain imagery, but I promise you , you'd be wrong. Boy is a tech Junkie, who lives in a theater with his parents, and insanely interesting crew of monsters. Like any other teen, Boy wants to branch out, live his own life, and be his ow
Jennifer Lyon
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It gives a whole new modern day perspective on the classic monsters. It is written from the viewpoint of Frankenstein's teen son. He has all of the classic teen issues- crush on a (troll) girl, fitting in, bullying/peer pressure - and the added fact that he is a monster so he can't really be a part of the "regular" world outside of the oddities show. Boy's life line to the outside world is his computer so he is really skilled at hacking and manipulating systems. He fi ...more
Orbson Rice
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.50. “Man Made Boy” is a light, fun read that flew by faster than an annoyed dragon. Taking the characters from our favorite B-movies and placing them precariously into modern society is not an easy task, but Skovron does an admirable job. Boy, the son of Frankenstein’s monster and Bride, is an interesting and somewhat complex character. At times, he can be a bit too perfect, but he does make his share of mistakes. His growth throughout the book is fitting and believable. I also absolutely love ...more
Melyssa Winchester
I could not put this book down. When I had to put it down, and I had to, it was incredibly hard.
I've never been so gripped by a book as I was with this story.
Based on Frankenstein, featuring the son of him and the Bride, I was actually worried about this when I snagged the paperback at the bookstore. I had no idea how it was going to play out, having never heard of the author, but it surpassed my expectations and then some.
For a book filled with monsters, it was incredibly hard to walk away f
Shoshana G
In his seventeen years of life, Boy has never left home. Sure, Boy has friends on the internet where he can be an anonymous computer genius, but it’s hard to make human friends when you’re the son of Frankenstein’s Monster and his Bride. Instead, he lives in New York, under a theater that runs a show staffed with monster and creatures. When he decides to leave and try to live as a human, albeit an odd-looking one, he ends up on a trip with the granddaughters of Jekyll and Hyde as he runs from mi ...more
Nic
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While it was certainly a unique way to utilize some well-known mythical creatures, it was not well executed. The plot was all over the place. I think Skovron tried to cram too much story into one book, which left every plot point undeveloped and weak. If he had tapped the brakes, selected a few storylines to really evolve and build upon, I think the overall story would have been much better. It’s an okay read, but definitely not something I would read again, nor do I feel compelled to read the s ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Project X-Calibur
  • Operation Oleander
  • Magicalamity
  • Invasion
  • The Waters of Iwingee (Book 1)
  • An Army of Frogs (Kulipari #1)
  • No Angel
  • Swagger
  • A Moment Comes
  • Saving Kabul Corner
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • The Death Catchers
  • Texting the Underworld
  • Love and Decay 2, Episode Seven (Love and Decay 2, #7)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • New Music (The Art of Lainey, #1.5)
  • We Own the Night (Radio Hearts #2)
  • Foul Trouble
Jon Skovron is the author of several Young Adult fantasy novels, including Misfit, Man Made Boy and This Broken Wondrous World. His first adult fantasy series, The Empire of Storms, began last June with the release of Hope and Red, published by Orbit Books. The Barnes and Noble SF&F blog said "Skovron’s briskly-paced story doesn’t skimp on the world-building—and thank goodness, because it’s qu ...more

Man Made Boy (2 books)
  • This Broken Wondrous World (Man Made Boy, #2)
“You were trying to impress her with a story about getting mauled by a thresher?”
“It made sense at the time.”
“Ah, youth.” He sighed. “Do you know what I would give to be young again?”
“No, what?”
“Nothing. In fact, you’d have to pay me.”
5 likes
“Humans are pretty complicated,” I said.
“No, Boy. Rain-forest ecosystems are complicated. Humans are just a mess.”
5 likes