Start by marking “Surviving Suicide” as Want to Read:
Surviving Suicide

Surviving Suicide

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  328 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
As a result of the positive feedback of “please don’t kill yourself”, Akana published the book “Surviving Suicide” in 2013. It consisted of her old diary entries from 2007-2009 in efforts to show the aftermath of suicide. She provides a free online link but all proceeds will go towards suicide prevention programs. Her intent behind the book is to remind people like her (su ...more
Published 2013

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Suicide, please sign up.
Rudeonion Im not a survivor but the book left a huge impression on me. I dont know, if I can recommend it, because it literally hurts because of the sadness.…moreIm not a survivor but the book left a huge impression on me. I don´t know, if I can recommend it, because it literally hurts because of the sadness. But you asked 38 days ago, so if you already read it, im here to talk :)(less)

Bethan
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelved
You can read this online here: ((https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SH-...)). Or you can buy the book. All proceeds go towards youth suicide prevention programs. I would recommend watching this video by Anna Akana (/watch?v=zvkbHIrrrvU) before you read Surviving Suicide.
Now, you've probably watched one of Anna Akana's youtube videos before or have at least heard her name before. She is a youtube star and has directed and acted in her movie, Riley Rewind. Surviving Suicide is a collection of dia
Akanksha
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anna Akana is one of my favourite youtubers and when I heard that she had written a book I knew I had to read it. Considering it's free and only 66 pages I freed about a half hour in my weekend and just read. The book was beautifully written and the way it flowed didn't make it seem like real diary entities, but an actual fictional book. It's honest and the emotions feel so relatable. The aspect of Anna and her sister (Anna being older by 4 years) is very similar to the age difference between me ...more
Eimear
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Tears.
I think every person on this planet has been affected by suicide at some stage in their lives and it's not something people talk openly about. I respect Anna so much for speaking out about her experience so publicly, through her YouTube channel and through her book. It's from speaking about these experiences that we can help those who are feeling suicidal and show them that there is more.
Daniel
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Anna Akana writes directly from her heart to the paper. Reading all the diary entries compiled in this edition has been deeply touching. No true story (specially of this kind) can be rated less than five stars. I wish Anna the best in her life. Rest in peace, Kristina.
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I ALMOST CRIED
Maha
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-reads
Sad. Touching. Full of Truths.

The pain is real. It was so real yet you would never know how much it hurts unless you experience it yourself (God forbid it). Oh Anna, she's so strong for sharing this and spreading such an important message.

To all those out there suffering and experiencing from suicidal thoughts, stay strong. please don't kill yourself. Go watch Anna's videos to truly feel more and understand this whole situation. And also to relate or feel personally attacked, like me
Harrison
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
It's incredibly hard to judge a book—more a story, a series of stories, than a book—like this. Its tone is incredibly adolescent. This is unsurprising. The author, Anna Akana, has made a living off the internet; she has immersed herself in it. The internet is an incredibly adolescent place. The osmosis is not a shock. But more than that, this book is made up of diary entries from her (according to my math) 18 year-old self. I don't—can't—expect profundity, innovation from someone so young. To pu ...more
michelle pham
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was beautiful.
This was eye-opening.
This book showed that you don't need grammar and eloquence and wordiness to get the point across.
This book showed that you don't need 300 or 500 pages of nonsense to be fucking amazing.

Anna filled each and every one of these pages with pure and raw emotion. I applaud her for coming out of her sorrow to try to make a difference from what has happened to her rather than sitting in grievance and frustration at the world. She's really decided to change her lif
Fiona
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Powerful, real, and of course sad.
Anna Akana published her diary entries which she wrote after her little sister commited suicide. She talks about her feelings and how stuck she was in her life. If you ever lost someone you loved, you can relate to this kind of pain. You won't know how to handle it better, but you can understand and as she says you are not alone "We are all alone together".
Afonso Raposo
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"And I chose life and love and happiness and pain..."
A really powerful book!
I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a sibling. I can't imagine the pain her family went through and still lives with.
I just hope that if anyone has to decide, he or she chooses life and love and happiness and pain.
Aditi
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. I wouldn't call it a book but it's more a life changing recount that makes you see the world in a different and more mature light. It helps you understand people and the thoughts they go through and the struggles they face. All we see is a body, not what's behind it. I cried in the first couple pages because the book hits you hard. I wonder how his story would have been different if other perspectives were shown?
Miranda
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very real.
khordofon
Bem, esse livro é um pouco esquisito.

São partes do diário da autora, começando de quando a irmã dela se matou.

Comecei a ler o livro com simpatia, mas logo a autora me passou uma vibe egoísta -- ela começa a narrativa explicando que na noite do suicídio ela estava xingando a irmã, gritando com ela, não ligando pros problemas dela, dizendo que a odiava, saindo sem se retratar. E, no resto da narrativa, continua pensando ainda assim que a) isso é culpa de Deus e b) ela é quem mais amava a irmã, não
Emma Peterson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven't cried this much in a long time.

Surviving Suicide can't be reviewed as a novel because it's composed of actual diary entries. It's raw and vulnerable just as a diary should be. Akana doesn't hold back, and that's exactly what makes it so powerful.

I love the content that Anna Akana creates on YouTube, and I have so much respect for her. Reading this allowed me to see another side of her that she doesn't necessarily hide in her videos, but to some extent, hold back.

It's devastating to
Wendy Vaz
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd been a fan of Anna Akana for a long time and this book had been on my reading list ever since I knew about her sister's suicide. It took me a while to find the courage to start the book, knowing that it's a very dark topic that could be a trigger for my own depression. But I read it and had no regrets! Anna has a way around her words, they're so raw and real and still so beautiful. I definitely felt her pain reading the book. Heck, my heart was aching and eyes were watery. I'm just grateful ...more
Sinead
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Anna Akana's work on YouTube and I have seen her video, "please don't kill yourself" (do recommend watching that as well). Both compliments each other and gave me a perspective on a person who lost someone to suicide. I do think we need more content dealing with that aspect of suicide as well as suicide/mental illness in general. Very excellent read.
Kasey
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so real, I don't think I have ever read something so sad before. It makes me think of instances that I could have died, and it makes me grateful for my life. It was interesting to see the other side of suicide, the effect it has on peoples loved ones. This book will make you cry a lot, but, I would recommend it. It's the hard truth and I think this is something everyone should read.
Klieo
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It's raw. It's real. Made me cried buckets. It's impossible to fully understand the torments that go through one's mind. One can only try. And try, we must. It's the least we can do. This short book helps with that.
Lili Kim
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love your raw honesty and fearlessness, Anna.

"I can't handle the thoughts in my own head anymore. So I'm trying to keep myself occupied with books. So far I average a book a day. I need something to keep away the terrible depression."

This is book #12 for me in the last 20 days.
Heeseo
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These diary entries made me cry... several times, and within the first few pages. If that isn't enough to convince you of how powerful a message this conveys then I'm not sure what is.
F
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Beautifully written
⟡ brittney ⟡
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extremely powerful, beautiful, and touching.
leisy
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
i'm so sorry anna had to get through such hard time. she remains strong and does not fear to share her story with the world, she remains motivated and hard-working, what an amazing human
Bryony Stringer
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly moving and inspirational piece that will touch the hearts and minds of all who read it.
Sigrid Fry-Revere
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the book club friends who sent me this book. I had mixed feeling about reading it, but it is chocked full of experiences I could relate to and even some laughs.
Melissa
I decided not to rate this book. Somehow a rating didn't seem appropriate given the content.

I chose to read this book on Google Docs, but all the proceeds go to suicide prevention programs, so that's a great reason to buy this book.

Before reading this book (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SH-...) I would suggest to watch these two youtube videos:

Anna Akana has written another book you can purchase here: https://www
Edric Subur
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled into Anna's youtube channel from some Wongfu videos and boy she has my absolute admiration ever since. Being a girl, asian (and short), she has accomplished so much. Getting a glimpse to her past just doubles my respect to her. The writing is so raw and real I was steeped into her 17 year old self and rode the roller coster of emotions with her. She came across as witty, funny and strong from all her videos, but I never knew that she went through so much pain in her past. For better o ...more
Rudeonion
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, the rating is nothing to talk about, except there is a possibility to add a 6th star :)
Anna hat to read her diary of that time, type it and publish it. It was not easy for sure.
I rather want to tell you, what a feels trip I had with this book. I have a huge depression problem and the thought of suicide is quite familiar for me. Im fighting it, however, with therapy and medication and Im doing good.
I got on Annas youtube channel, because someone claimed to have a leaked sex tape of her and I
Zachary Kurzenberger
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm amazed. This book is stunning. It's not really a book, but a compilation of diary entries from the author after her sister committed suicide. The author, Anna Akana, writes about her feelings and experiences as they are all affected by the tragedy that is her taking her own life at the age of only 13. Her recollections, all insightful and descriptive, are completely eye opening. She tries so hard to make sense of what happened, asking questions like "what possible good could have come from h ...more
Emily Gamez
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anna is one of my favorite YouTubers. I just found this short compilation of her diary entries about her coping with her sister's suicide. (You can buy it and all proceeds go toward suicide prevention(https://gumroad.com/l/MuJu), or you can read it for free as a PDF file (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0SH...).
It made me tear up because of how relatable some of the things she wrote about how emotional death is for survivors were. She has come so far from where these entries start out in 2007
  • The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa
  • Die staat teen Anna Bruwer
  • Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth
  • Faith Like Potatoes: The Story of a Farmer Who Risked Everything for God
  • Symphony
  • The Libertines Bound Together: The Definitive Story of Peter Doherty and Carl Barat and How They Changed British Music
  • What Are You Waiting For?: The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex
  • Stop Acting Like a Christian, Just Be One
  • Thrive: Digging Deep, Reaching Out
  • Don't Waste Your Life Study Guide
  • Miracles Are for Real: What Happens When Heaven Touches Earth
  • Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality
  • The Wet Engine: Exploring Mad Wild Miracle of Heart
  • Part Asian, 100% Hapa
  • Moerbeibos
  • Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God’s Everything
  • Pet Sounds
  • I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead
Anna Akana is an actress, comedian, and filmmaker most known for her online weekly show with 1.6 million subscribers. She’s been in the feature films Ant-Man and Hello, My Name Is Doris, and can be seen on Comedy Central’s Corporate. She lives in Los Angeles.
“They say that God doesn't give you more than you can handle.
Tell that to her.”
9 likes
“Wow. I'm twenty years old. Rene Descartes invented analytic geometry in his early twenties. Talk about pressure.” 6 likes