Start by marking “A Collection of Stories, Reviews and Essays” as Want to Read:
A Collection of Stories, Reviews and Essays

A Collection of Stories, Reviews and Essays

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published May 12th 2012 (first published November 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Collection of Stories, Reviews and Essays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Collection of Stories, Reviews and Essays

Andrea
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mixed
Most of the stories are classic Cather - stoic Swedes, fiddle-playing Bohunks and lively young girls fading into dutiful destiny on the Nebraska plains - balanced with a couple of other tales featuring New York or Paris as the setting. Many of them have that My Ántonia air of reluctant nostalgia, but nobody can accuse Cather of overt sentimentality; there are enough deaths, suicides, wasted lives and heavy burdens in here to challenge that equation.

But it is the second part of the collection, r
Duane
I have read most of Cather's novels and many of her short stories, and I can honestly say I have never been disappointed. Some are better than others, that's only normal, but they all maintain a quality of excellence that is almost unsurpassed, especially in such a large volume of work.

In this collection, I give everything 4 stars except The Bohemian Girl. It gets 5 stars, may be her best short story. It's right up there with her novel, My Antonia.
Renee M
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charming reviews and essays about Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, Walt Whitman, Kate Chopin, Stephan Crane, and other contemporaries, which are alternately charming or scathing. The essay on Poe was rather sweet, while the piece on Twain was hilarious. My favorite might be the essay on Kate Chopin's The Awakening.
siriusedward
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favs
Very good collection of short stories. I love her quiet stories....the narrator David Wales is good too.
Grady McCallie
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This collects a dozen of Willa Cather's short stories and critical reviews of the works of roughly a dozen of Cather's contemporaries. The stories are wondrous; Cather sketches full, credible characters. Her take on the world is so very cold - some of the lives break lucky, but overall, Cather has virtually no sentimentality. On the other hand - and somewhat like Thornton Wilder - she has respect and even affection for the humanity of her characters - she just won't let that affection spare them ...more
Lora
This will have to be a book I return to at a later time. I give it two stars because Cather is not a favorite author, and her short stories are more dreary than some of her other writing. This book has some interesting profiles on other authors of her time- and Cather gets one star for calling Twain the bully he was. I practically cheered as I read!
Katherine
Oct 07, 2015
FarmDotr
Jan 06, 2016
Beth Camilleri
rated it did not like it
Sep 17, 2014
Nancy
Jan 03, 2015
Ashley
Nov 28, 2017
Wilella Sibert Cather was born in Back Creek Valley (Gore), Virginia, in December 7, 1873. Her novels on frontier life brought her to national recognition. In 1923 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, One of Ours (1922), set during World War I. She grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She then attended the University of Nebraska, initially planning to become a physician, but after writin ...more
“The experience of that night, coming so overwhelmingly to a man so dead, almost rent me in pieces. It was the same feeling that artists know when we, rarely, achieve truth in our work; the feeling of union with some great force, of purpose and security, of being glad that we have lived. For the first time I felt the pull of race and blood and kindred, and felt beating within me things that had not begun with me. It was as if the earth under my feet had grasped and rooted me, and were pouring its essence into me. I sat there until the dawn of morning, and all night long my life seemed to be pouring out of me and running into the ground. -- from the short story The Namesake 3 likes
“For the first time I felt the pull of race and blood and kindred, and felt beating within me things that had not begun with me. It was as if the earth under my feet had grasped and rooted me, and were pouring its essence into me. I sat there until the dawn of morning, and all night long my life seemed to be pouring out of me and running into the ground.” 2 likes