Start by marking “The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)

The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)

"You're the Star! 40 Thrilling Endings!"

"Will You Become Trapped in Time"?

You are hiking in Snake Canyon when you find yourself lost in the strange, dimly lit Cave of Time. Gradually you can make out two passageways. One curves downward to the right; the other leads upward to the left. It occurs to you that the one leading down may go to the past and the one leading up may
Published August 1st 1982 by Skylark Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Cave of Time, please sign up.
Uğur Atmaca I read this book when I was 10. But I think it is ok for age 8. It will be fun. I think these gamebooks really good to endear kids for love reading
Anisha_book_lover Unfortunately, you can't read books on Goodreads (if that's what you're asking). It's a site for rating, reviewing, and talking about books.

Start your review of The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
Jason Koivu
Struck with a touch of insomnia (I'm finally building my deck tomorrow and oddly it feels like Christmas!) I thought, what better time to read the classic first volume of the Choose Your Own Adventure series?

In The Cave of Time you are a kid, apparently with no name, on a hike. You come upon a cave you've never seen before. You venture inside and when you emerge shortly after it is a completely different time, and thus begins the adventure.

The pictures, by stalwart CYOA illustrator Paul Granger
aPriL does feral sometimes
An amazingly fun and hilarious series! I recommend this series not only to the age group they are meant to be for, those from age 9-12 years old, but to everybody else, too! I find them laugh out loud funny to read and I am in my mid-60's. The illustrations are wonderful, and the 40 or so endings that you can pick to end the story are so cutely done. I didn't mind flipping about the books in the series and finding out, depending on the choices I made every two pages or so, how I died this time o ...more
George
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
You might think, "oh, a time traveling cave, how could this possibly end badly?" well brother, are you wrong! it can end badly in so, so many ways. Like with aliens! or dinosaurs! Time travel is tricky.
Astrid Lim
Choose my own adventures is one of my most favorite series ever!!! The adventures, the mysteries, the thrills of choosing something wrong, the uncertainties and possibilities.. I love them all. Lorong Waktu is the first of the series, I've read the translation version and the old school vibe made this book more memorable - i feel sentimental when reading it :) I hope Gramedia will republish this series. I will definitely collect them again and will pass them down to my kid!!
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This wasn't the first Choose Your Own Adventure book I read, but as soon as I discovered that this was a series, I wanted to go back to the beginning and read them in order (even though they are not in any way dependent on reading sequentially since they are independent adventures). In this book, you as the protagonist get to choose whether you go left or right in a mysterious cave, and one of the forks leads to the past and the other one leads to the future. Of course as a science fiction nerd ...more
Weathervane
First in the series, and a decent book. Unfortunately, it suffers from too-many-endings syndrome, an ailment a lot of the early books had. There simply aren't enough pages for the author to flesh out very compelling storylines. On the other hand, these books have a larger variety of events to take part in. It all comes down to what you prefer. Personally, I find the 20 endings standard found in the Give Yourself Goosebumps series to be the best compromise between choice and plot.

The quality of w
Josiah
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
This was the first book published in the Choose Your Own Adventure series, and I love it now as much as when I first had it read to me. An atmosphere of mystery and suspense is maintained throughout. It is a treat to go through this book again and again; the fact that it contains more decisions than most Choose Your Own Adventure books boosts its readability. The Cave of Time is an exciting, original story.
Mark Austin
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Ah, Choose Your Own Adventure, that paper bridge between that 5th grade fantasy map (see my Hobbit review) and my life-changing discovery of Dungeons & Dragons in the 7th grade.

Some of them were great, some punishing, some arbitrary, but they revealed to me for the first time that I could make choices and that they had immediate effect the course on my (fictional) reality. For a kid whose home life felt largely hopeless and inescapable, the empowerment of making my own way by the power of my own
Ebookwormy1
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, I was reading another review and these books were mentioned. I know I'm taking a trip down memory lane of Jr. High reading with "Sweet Valley High", "Nancy Drew" and now these. These were great! I devoured them. In the end, Mom wouldn't buy the bazillion set (probably not a bad idea), but I checked them all out from the library. I remember reading it through the first time, then again with different choices and finally from cover to cover to catch it all. Brilliant!
Gayle Gordon
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
What fun! I used to love these books as a kid and I ran across it in a box of donations at work. Just had to read it. I went though every possible scenario. A book like this must be hard to write with all of the possible connections and choices. I'd love to see the planning diagram! I might see if I can track down more. I'm hooked all over again and I'm over 50. *Sheepish grin*
Tom
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book blew my mind as a kid -- fantasy! science fiction! what-if! -- and was a major influence on my love of reading, interest in science, and all things cool. I still have my original edition from 1979 and recently picked up a few others at a used bookstore. Great juvenile literature.
Jennifer S. Alderson
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd read several of these as a child but never realized there were so many!
This wonderful series taught me early on there is no ‘right’ answer in life.
Highly recommended for pre-teens and young adults.
Alex
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When you find these books in your mom's attic, do not reread them. They're not as good as you remember.
J.Aleksandr Wootton
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood
Weren't Choose Your Own Adventures great?

But there weren't really books, were they. More like collections of non-linear vignettes.
The Story Girl
Dec 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I used to love the Goosebumps 'choose your own adventure' books when I was younger, but I had never read this series, so I thought I'd give it a try (and I've had it on my TBR for 6+ years, so I thought why not). It was a fun book, but something I would have enjoyed when I was much younger. The completionist in me wanted to go back and read every outcome, but I stopped myself after doing a few, and I'm glad I did because apparently there are 40 different endings. But at least it succeeded in tak ...more
David Sarkies
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gamebook
The first gamebook of its kind
17 July 2012

This was the first of a new genre of book, namely the game book, though it came out under the title 'Choose Your Own Adventure'. I remember getting this book and the next book in the series for Christmas one year, and I was pretty much all over them, especially since I loved the adventure games that I had on my dad's computer (this was back in the early 80s). The period in which is was released saw a change in the way that games were being played in tha
Michael
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people, adventurers, daydreamers
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
This was the first of the original "choose your own adventure" books, and I read it not long after it came out. It was an idea whose time had come (role playing games were becoming established as well) - that the reader of the book could become the protagonist and affect the outcome through the choices they made. The books were wildly popular, especially among the target age group (though older folks read them also), and the format has been used and modified many times since. Today, it probably ...more
James Vachowski
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-boys-like
This is another series of “oldies-but-goodies” from my own childhood! The Choose Your Own Adventure books feature awesome stories, and they’re written in a way that places the reader in the middle of the action like no other book could. There are over fifty books in the original series, and I guarantee that any child of the 1980s has read at least one of them. After a huge demand from readers, the series was continued in the 1990s and over a hundred new books were released over the next twenty y ...more
David Nichols
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I first read THE CAVE OF TIME in the fourth grade, and it and the other books in the series became some of my favorite children's stories, as well as gateways to the text-based computer games of the 1980s and to Dungeons & Dragons. Here is a review of the series, and of CAVE OF TIME, that I wrote in junior high school:

"The CHOOSE-YOUR-OWN-ADVENTURE series contains a large number of books on a variety of topics, from expeditions to the Amazon to Yeti hunting in the Himalayas, from voyages to the
Neville Ridley-smith
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, gamebook
First of all, here are some maps:

As gamebooks go, this really only deserves 3 stars. BUT it *was* the first (well, not quite, but anyway...) and that has to count for something.

This was hugely ambitious - there are so many possibilities that Packard was only able to give a cursory amount of choices to each location, most ending very abruptly. In essence, much of it is completel
Selan
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cyoa
Just finished reading this book and all the endings and I love love love this book. Wish we still had more gamebooks like this in print. The level of detail and description, and the sense of adventure is really great. Even though I never read it as a kid (I had other CYOA books that I borrowed from the library though) it still feels pretty nostalgic.

I also love that there isn't just one "good" ending (good implying that you get back to your own time). There's quite a few where you make it back t
Valerie
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I LOVED these books when I was about ten, and I read every one that I could get my hands on. I remember being so excited to read them when I got a "fresh" one - I'd be so cautious in my choices, hoping to make it through to a successful ending. I'd also re-read them, going back and picking every single possible option until I'd read all the adventures.

I see that they've started to publish new ones again. I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to read them, too.
Mellodi
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember these as a kid but, it's great to relive them a bit and to start from the beginning, of course!

So many great and not so great possibilities on the stories that you'll almost never get bored and always want to read every possible outcome.

If you've never read a single on of these books, pick one up in any order. You will have a blast reading it to kids and letting them decide what happens as well.

Give it a read!
Maggie
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good. It has a bunch of different endings for you to choose from. Some of them are sad and some of them end happy. You have to be careful which ending you pick so you don't end up in a monsters mouth or in cave man time! But if you are careful, you might end up at home, safe and sound. I'm really excited to read another Choose Your Own Adventure book.
Eric
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Cave of TIME....dah dah dah DAHHHH! (as read for emphasis to my kids) has started a reading craze at Herndon ES! Read dramatically for effect and using cooperative learning (Kagan) strategies to empower the kids to make their own choices while reading, The Cave of Time is great fun, is not great literature. Think of it as a bridge to real literature!
Vanellope
In just two hours, I met Abraham Lincoln, lived in colonial America, got eaten by the Loch Ness Monster, survived the Titanic, got thrown into jail by a feudal king, built the Great Wall of China, rode a mammoth, faced a dinosaur, got abducted by aliens, and joined a community of cavemen. You could say it was pretty entertaining.
Melissa Namba
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: coplin, childrens
Ahh! All it took was one book to remind me why I loved and hated these books at the same time! I loved being given options, but the plot lines were stupid. I mean, we run the gamut of aliens, mammoths, cave men, future people etc., and each version I'd probably only a grand total of 1500 words max.
James Elkins
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever really "finish" a choose your own adventure book? I remember mapping out 3 or 4 adventures when I read this book while on a trip through Oregon and California for Christmas break in 1979. Loved this book and every book in the series (that I read).
Whitney
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
The many different time periods I could visit were incredible, but a few of the endings seemed ambiguous or lacking in detail.
Emily
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a big fan of choose your own adventure books, but I still like it! :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Choose Your Own Adventure for adults? 2 14 Aug 13, 2013 11:57AM

• Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13)
  • Escape (Choose Your Own Adventure, #20)
  • War with the Evil Power Master (Choose Your Own Adventure, #37)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • Curse of the Arctic Star (Nancy Drew Diaries #1)
  • House of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure, #15)
  • Planet of the Dragons (Choose Your Own Adventure, #75)
  • Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11)
  • Nemi: Vapaa ja julma (Nemi albums #1)
  • The Throne of Zeus (Choose Your Own Adventure, #40)
  • The Race Forever (Choose Your Own Adventure, #17)
  • History Goes to the Movies: A Viewer's Guide to the Best (and Some of the Worst) Historical Films Ever Made
  • The Case of the Silk King (Choose Your Own Adventure, #53)
Edward Packard attended and graduated from both Princeton University and Columbia Law School. He was one of the first authors to explore the idea of gamebooks, in which the reader is inserted as the main character and makes choices about the direction the story will go at designated places in the text.

The first such book that Edward Packard wrote in the Choose Your Own Adventure series was titled