Start by marking “Hard Time” as Want to Read:
Hard Time

Hard Time

My pounding heart went still, eerie as birds fallen silent in the wake of a gunshot.

He was big. Tall frame, wide shoulders-but not burly. His near-black hair was due for a cut, curling under his ears. Dark brows, dark stubble, dark lashes and eyes.

And he was handsome. So handsome it broke your heart.

A deck of cards was split between his hands, paused midshuffle. Some of th
Published April 15th 2014 by InterMix

Start your review of Hard Time
Christy
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Love Letter stars!

photo 9bf4c78e-9974-45a4-a051-660e1b0379d5_zps75104d45.jpg

Hard Time was a sweet and romantic, original and erotic, fantastically well written story. Once I started reading, I was hooked. Usually a book is very romantic, but lacks the heat I desire. Or it’s hot hot hot, but you don’t get that sweetness. This was the perfect combination of BOTH!

Annie Goodhouse is a sweet southern girl who has given up on men and love. After a bad experience with an ex took her from her home town in South Carolina to Darren Michigan, she wants to
Baba
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. Full review posted April 21, 2014

photo oie_TYx97KloUlms_zpsb044f6f4.gif

What I love about McKenna's writing...

fingers scraping each other's scalps
hands tangling in hair
eager yet shaking fingers undressing each other

lips feathering tender kisses all over each other's bodies
a touch, a caress over heated skin
deep, wet and demanding kisses

the smell of an aroused body
the thrill and anticipation of hot, sweaty sex
labored breathing

licking, biting, clawing, moaning…
faster, deeper…slower

All that and then some until both reach a mi
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
6+ Are not enough to describe how much I loved this book Stars

And he told me about the things he wanted to do to me, the places he wanted to take me, if he could. The things about me that took his mind off his daily life, and roused his body in idle moments. And I wondered if he wasn't a bank robber after all, the way he kept making off with my heart.

I fell in love with this book. I fell in love with the writing. I fell completely, head over heels in love with the hero. This book; no
Brandi
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
description

Another book a desperately wanted to love. Lots of great reviews, an interesting synopsis. A romance that starts within prison walls - sign me up. I loved the forbiddenness of their relationship and naughty love letters were a nice bonus. But this heroine. I just could not warm up too. Annie just didn't nothing for me, other than annoy the shit out of me.

description

That said, I liked the hero, Eric. I thought his characterization was well done, his education level was realistically portrayed thro
Mo
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

His near black hair was due for a cut in fact, curling under his ears. Dark brows, dark stubble, dark lashes and eyes. And he was handsome. So handsome he broke your heart

Annie Goodhouse doesn’t need to be warned about bad boys; good sense and an abusive ex have given her plenty of reasons to play it safe. But when she steps into her new role as outreach librarian for Cousins Correctional Facility, no amount of good sense can keep her mind—or eyes—off inmate Eric Collier.

Blacky *Romance Addict*

This is the sweetest, most romantic erotica I've ever read <3

He is one of the sweetest, most romantic male characters ever!! <3

He is also yummy hot in a convict kind of way XD

Overall, just amazing <3 The letters were fantastic, the first one especially, I kinda wish the prison part was longer, and the second half of the book not that slow, but it was still awesome and I enjoyed every bit of it :DDD

Anyhow, a HUGE rec from me <3
Jennifer Kyle
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

”We’re whatever you decide we are.”

[image error]

What’s not to like about the new librarian, Anne Goodhouse, at Cousins Correctional Facility fall through letters and limited contact for inmate #802267? The first portion of the story really brings the anticipation, excitement and allure of Eric Collier. His letters were simply wonderful and opened up Annie to her sexuality that has been locked down ever since she broke things off with her abusive ex. Asking if Anne want’s more letter
Isabella. R
4 Survival, Oppression, Triumph Stars ⭐

A long time for two people to shut their needs in the dark.

Annie Goodhouse was the new resident librarian at Cousins Correctional Facility. She was aware of the rules about interacting with the inmates, but she wasn't prepared for him. Immediately, the rules didn't apply.

I looked up. That stare. The unreadable expression, an impossible mix of apathy and fascination, coldness and searing seduction.

Annie knows firsthand the dangers of loving the wrong man. Mo
Duchess Nicole
"I want to make you feel a hundred things at once - powerless and aggressive, needy and pushy, grateful and greedy..."

Cara McKenna seems to be throwing out winners left and right. Everything I read by her is golden, and Hard Time was no exception.

Annie Goodhouse is a good ole southern girl...polite and ladylike, sweet and tenderhearted. But her life hasn't always been wonderful. The reason she moved to this run down, podunk northern town was to escape an abusive boyfriend. Understandably, she's
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts
4.25 Love Letter Stars

Hard Time is a lovely, HOT romantic read, packed to the rafters with sexual tension and romance, all mixed up in a melting pot where I felt the anticipation of what may come....

Annie Goodhouse knows all about bad boys, so she just wants to play it safe in her new role as an outreach librarian for Cousins Correctional Facility. She wants to play strictly by the rules. But inmate Eric sends her rule-book out the window.

Eric Collier prisoner 802267 "So handsome it broke your
Crystal~BIG book addict~
There are no words to describe all of my feelers I have for this book. A convict and a librarian, what's not to love?!

Anne Goodhouse is the new outreach librarian for the local prison. She is there to help teach some of the inmates to read and help with their resumes for when they are released. It has been five years since she left her home and an abusive ex-boyfriend. She has been numb this whole time until she sees prisoner number 802267.

Unlike many of the inmates, his head wasn't shaved. H
Wendy'sThoughts
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cara McKenna Fans, Erotica
5 Prisons... ALL of Them Stars
* * * * * Spoiler Free
In order to accept some stories, we must suspend our analytical minds so that we can truly experience the read. I am doing this disclaimer because if I had not done that for this book, I would have been skeptical about the ins and outs of how communication, letters, etc. were able to not have consequences. That aside... I decided to go with the journey Cara McKenna gave me and this is my experience.

There are things in my life which have given
Claire Robinson
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 - "Here I Come" Stars.

Hard Time is the first book that I have had the pleasure of reading by Cara McKenna, to say I went straight to Amazon and 1-Clicked everything else she has ever written once I had finished it would be totally true... It is one of those books that you read and ask yourself why you have never read a book by the author before.

Although there are a couple of warnings I would give you before you start it yourself, so you don't make the same mistakes I did.

1 - Do NOT start this
Debra

★★★★ 4 Stars!

"The most honest man I've ever known, and I met him in prison." - Annie

"The nicest woman I ever knew, and she took up with a convict." - Eric

Hard Time by Cara McKenna was a sweet, memorable, standalone read with one of the most romantic heroes I've ever come across...and he turns out to be a convict, imagine that! As surreal as it may seem, Eric really was one of the sweetest male leads ever, and the main reason for that were the letters he wrote weekly.

"Darling,

I missed you
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5--Eric Was Perfection--Stars!!

Another winner from Cara McKenna!

A librarian + a convict

And it was, but it was so much more. Two people meeting under unlikely circumstances. Both looking for a second chance and hoping for a new beginning.

"The most honest man I bet I've ever known, and I met him in prison."
"The nicest woman I ever knew, and she took up with a convict."

Annie is the new outreach librarian at Cousins Correctional Facility. Once a week she's visits the prison teaching and help
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Check out this and my other reviews at My Blog, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Pinterest

★Book Basics★

Genre : - Contemporary Romance
Series : - Stand Alone
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating - 5 ++++ stars

★Review★

Having read this author in the past, I have felt with previous books she has left the ending a t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
The number of times that a M/F contemporary works for me are few and far between. I often get cheese-ball alerts, tropey-tropey nonsense, ridiculous female MCs, and boring or over-the-top stories. With the number of mixed reviews on this one, I was certainly prepared for the worst. However, this story shocked the hell out of me. I very nearly loved it.

The first part of the book was fan-freaking-tastic. Though the attraction between Annie and Eric bordered on insta-love, the slow seduction of the
Sammy Loves Books
3.4 Rock Hard Stars

Ahhhh…Horny Prisoners that haven't seen or touched a woman in years

horny man

So just how FINE would a prisoner have to be for ME to risk it all? My job, My Sanity, My peace of mind? At first I hated Annie and couldn't relate to her horniness. But then I realized, there are a few men that make me lose All rational thought.

call me

I would like to take a different approach on this review and dedicate it to celebrating a few Hot men that would have me acting as Cray Cray as Annie did in this book.
Patrycja

Release Date: April, 2014
Rating: 3. 5 stars
Cliffhanger:. No
HEA: (view spoiler)

Hard Time is definitely interesting, entertaining smokin’ hot read. Unique concept, complex characters and very well written love letters, that made me tingle more than few times, were superb!

From the first page I liked the main heroine - Annie and found her adorable young woman, that I could relate too. I also instantly felt drawn like a moth to th
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️

4.5 Sizzling Stars!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Wow. I really liked this one. Mainly for the original plot. So many romance books seem to follow the same plotline these days, but this one hooked me in and didn't let go! Convict meets librarian.

Eric Collier hasn't gone by his given name for five years. He's known as inmate number 802267 at Cousins Correctional Facility, a moderate security prison in rural Michigan. When he sets eyes on the newest prison librarian, hears her sweet southern twang, it stirs feelings within
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a finished paperback of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Clara Diaaz and Little, Brown Book Group)

“What did you do to forfeit your freedom? To deserve this life?
What would you do to me, if it were just the two of us in here?”

This was an interesting adult contemporary romance, but there was a lot of dirty talk!

Does anyone remember that episode of sex and the city where Miranda wasn’t happy because the man she was dating liked to talk dirty? Well this
Ash Wednesday
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Olaf fetishists. Kidding. Everyone I know (because everyone I know has an Olaf fetish)
4 STARS
I’m not afraid of you, I wanted to tell him.
I’m afraid of me. What I’m capable of.

I started writing a review for Hard Time right around the 35% mark. In that review I added this to my favourites shelf. I kinda still want to, especially with the first half of this book. Now, I haven’t been reading much erotica nowadays so my spidey sense for these things can very well be rusty but I don’t think I’ve ever started writing a review midway through a book because of the feels that I can’t h
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.5 Stars***

Here I go again...being in the minority about the love of a book. Unfortunately, I didn't love this one as much as everyone else.

Since there are tons of reviews already out there, I'll just make a list of my likes and dislikes.

What I liked:
- The Love Letters - makes a girl wanna get a pen pal. No one writes anymore. Everything is quick texts. There's something extra romantic about seeing someone's words written down in their own handwriting.

- The forbidden undercurrent in th
Karla
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read 4/14-16 2014
Re read 10/18-20 2015
Re read 9/17-19 2017
Lana Reads
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kink
This author doesn't have too many books, so every time I get to one, I feel like savouring it, they are that good.

She writes about ordinary people one could really picture knowing; experiencing extraordinary emotions everybody could relate to. Once in lifetime love stories that are so deeply sensual and comforting, getting into them is like curling into the most comfortable bed under the warmest blanket after a long day.

Erik was my favourite kind of hero which McKenna writes so well: big, quiet,
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Annie is the new librarian in town and one of her projects is being the outreach librarian for Cousins Correctional Facility. That's where she meets Eric, one of the convicts. They have an instant attraction for each other but since he's not getting out for a long time, Annie feels safe in indulging in this fantasy they build together through letters.

description

Annie hasn't had the greatest experiences with men and it's caused her to become closed off. She's basically just trying to get on with her life a
Catarina
4 Love Letters Stars!

He is a convicted that is jail paying a crime. She is a librarian running from a bad past.
They met in prison when she starts working there as the facility librarian and he starts sending her letters. But this old-fashioned romance soon stars to be something more.
She is innocent, he is not. They are both living something they believe has no future, because well, he is a criminal. But that means that all criminals are bad?

description

Until Eric is released and what should be a platoni
Vishous
I was so excited about this book, and obviously had completely different expectations, so I ended up disappointed...

It's not the book, it's simply me....

This was too sweet for me, I loved the idea and all but it just hurt to read all that sweetness...

I could get past poetic dialogues/letters/thoughts, I just couldn't get past poetic declarations during sex.... I even thought one sex scene near the end will bump it one more star, because it finally felt normal, because they finally didn't go all
Katy Loves Romance ❤️
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
 photo E939F93F-3088-4510-9ECA-63140847FACB_zpswnhv62xt.jpg

I'm rounding this off to 3.75 love letter's stars

Annie Goodhouse has come from a well polished background, with structure, meaning and love.

Eric Collier has come from a more rougher background with a father that is non existant in his and his sister and mothers life.

Annie has come from the kind of home where her gran thinks red means Whore and nothing else, not vibrant and looking out the box but just that.... and I suppose due to that she was a tad vunrable and therefore her well to do
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 3.5 "HOT" Stars ♥♥♥

So, right off the bat, as soon as I read the blurb, I knew I had to read it because of how unique it was. This was about a woman named Annie who is newly hired as an outreach librarian at Cousins Correctional Facility. She doesn't really date, especially after she left her abusive boyfriend. But once she starts this scary job, things start to change for her.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Remind me which of us has been locked up for five years."

"Bo

• Hold (Hold, #1)
  • Slammer
  • Artistic License
  • All Chained Up (Devil's Rock, #1)
  • Broken
  • Jackson Rule
  • Last Light
  • Bass-Ackwards
  • Hammer's Fall (Breakers' Bad Boys #1)
  • Breaking Him
  • Trapped (The Condemned Series, #1)
  • Sweet Agony
  • Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus #1)
  • Priest (Priest, #1)
  • Fall (Hold, #3)
  • Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)
  • Caged (Caged, #1)
Since she began writing in 2008, Cara McKenna has published nearly forty romances and erotic novels with a variety of publishers, sometimes under the pen names Meg Maguire and C.M. McKenna. Her stories have been acclaimed for their smart, modern voice and defiance of convention. She was a 2015 RITA Award finalist, a 2014 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award winner, a 2012 and 2011 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award ...more