Start by marking “Celebrating You (Pandemus Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Celebrating You (Pandemus Chronicles #1)

Celebrating You

(Pandemus Chronicles #1)

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2013 Advent Calendar collection Heartwarming.

With the world's population down to almost nothing and his husband dead, Daniel is sure he’ll spend Christmas alone with his dog, cats, and goats. Jake has been wandering aimlessly since the world went to hell and he lost his partner. As far as he’s concerned, there’s nothing to celebrate. But
ebook, 1st, 49 pages
Published December 1st 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrating You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrating You

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Celebrating You is a poignant, heartwarming short story set in a bleak dystopia where most of the human population has been wiped out by a deadly virus.

While the world building is not detailed, Duncan paints a picture of a society filled with destruction and danger. I applaud the author for not info dumping but subtly showing via description and dialogue.

Jake and Daniel meet on Christmas Eve. Their attraction and connection is instantaneous but believable. Both are lonely. Both lost t
Ann
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I always take a post-apocalyptic HEA a little differently than a regular one. I can forgive the insta-love a little more as I would imagine when there are few people left on earth and survival is your main goal, the connection you may feel for another person is ramped up quite a bit. So, that being said, the quick HEA wrap up wouldn't have worked for me otherwise, it does more in this one given their circumstances. I do feel like I was just getting to know the characters when it ended though. Wh ...more
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.0 Stars

Here's the thing: I wanted to really, really like this book. I love dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories because they tend to show both the worst that mankind has to offer as well as the best. When the death of our world is because of a climate shift, meteor strike, nuclear catastrophe or viral outbreak...well, they are, IMHO, scarier than other horror stories because of their plausibility.

Here we have what seems to be global die-off because of a pandemic. I think. Things are a little haz
Sid
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Hope for the better should never die; Christmas and holidays give us that eternal hope for happiness, even at hard times.

Jake and Daniel are survivors. They are trying to survive through the phase where the world around them is going to ruins. Nothing is the same. Not in the world, not in their own lives. Both of them have lost their partners, their love, their family and they are left behind to walk the difficult path alone.

It is when their paths cross that the boys realize they could have a re
Christy
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle, m-m, arc
A post-apocalyptic Christmas. Huh. I like that Daniel is finally getting around, after three years since the world imploded, to living again. The majority of the world's population is dead after an outbreak and the remaining survivors are doing the best they can, alone, to make it. When Jake comes across Daniel trying to cut down a Christmas tree, he's a little confused as to the why of it, but Jake definitely can't dispute how attractive he finds Daniel. And the attraction is reciprocated, alon ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.75*

First I have to say, had I just read the blurb of this book I would have passed it up. It isn't the kind of story that would appeal to me, but I pre-ordered the DSP calendar and really do want to read all of the stories and I saw my friend Kris Kindleromance's review of it over on BookLikes and decided, what the heck, I'll read it.

This is set a in post-apocalyptic world. Some kind of virus/illness has destroyed the world as we know it. It's not explained, although some of the ramifications
Elsbeth

Celebrating You , a Christmas story set in a post-apocalyptic setting!!

Two lonely men meet on Christmas Eve. Both have lost their partners due to the virus..

Nothing more, nothing less...

Just..

description
Susan
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, mm

What a confusing story.

I think this takes place 3 years after the apocalypse/the plague/world war III has happened. Take your pick, I have no idea which one it was.

description

People have died, rations are low and a lot of people are homeless. So when Jake comes across a man who is trying to dig out a Christmas tree, he is surprised. Not much to celebrate apparently.
Jake helps the man, Daniel, to get his tree to his house. Well, the house he lives in. It belonged to a family before the ‘event’.

Aft
Lisa The Novel Approach
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Celebrating You is a touching and heartwarming holiday story that does exactly the job it’s supposed to do. Grace R. Duncan offers a spark of magic and the promise of love between two men who have all the time in the world to rebuild their lives, not on the shared pain of their pasts but on the hope of a future, in a happy-ever-after time in which ever-after now means so much more.

See the entire review at The Novel Approach: http://thenovelapproachreviews.com/20...
Teresa
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
The post-apocalyptic world was only hinted at, but I got a general sense of what was going on. I enjoyed the encounter - definitely insta connection, but I can see how such a relationship would be formed in this world. I would love to read more about this couple.
Lioness7
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
I enjoyed this book. It was kinda a unique take on Christmas during the apocalypse. I feel that both Daniel and Jake have a good handle on how to survive. I also love the different animals that Daniel has collected. Everything put together made the book feel homey. That wasn't what I expected at the end of the world.
Serena Yates
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, holiday
A post-apocalyptic Christmas story is not exactly a common occurrence, but once I was reading it I realized there is no better situation to demonstrate the importance of hope. If most of humankind has been killed by some disease and the survivors' only worry is how to make it to the next day, a new beginning, finding love, or beginning to enjoy the little fun events in life is truly essential. This story, in a sweet, quiet way, gave the main characters (and me) exactly that: hope that love would ...more
Keveen
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I thought this book was really good and had the potential to become better. The world/setting/plot that was vaguely described here was very intriguing. I really wanted to know more about it. I had so many questions about it like what caused the deaths of millions of people? What's in the city? Why did they avoid it? Who are "they"? I was super interested to know those things. The good thing about it was that it made me kept reading the book (partially hoping there was an explanation som
Secretly Reading
I’m a sucker for post-apocalyptic romances and that’s what I got here. Two men meet three years after a global calamity kills most humans. Daniel offers to share Christmas with Jake and the two men form a connection in the cruel new world. I really enjoyed this different story. The loneliness and desire for human contact is palpable in both men. This story perfectly balances the men’s sexual and emotional intimacy and offers a glimpse at their budding partnership. I liked this so well I hope for ...more
Julesmarie
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, holiday, m-m
Another of my favorites of this year's advent calendar. Even just the idea of a dystopian Christmas story had me fascinated and so excited to get to read it.

And I thought it was very well done. Both of the characters were enjoyable and sympathetic. I appreciated that enough time had passed since they both lost their partner that they were ready to begin something with someone new. And it was totally endearing how they both spent the day wishing for more but unwilling to be the one to bring it up
Sara Testarossa
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, sweet post-apocalyptic story with loveable characters, real emotion, and a nice helping of sexiness. Like the title of the anthology this is a part of, Celebrating You is a heartwarming story. I could really feel Daniel and Jack's concerns and hopes and my heart ached for their past losses and the hope that they could find a new happiness together, that they could one day grow to love each other in a world with so few people left to love. I would definitely read more of thes ...more
Suze
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Suze by: Won on The Blog of Sid Love
Daniel & Jake meet by chance in a world decimated by some sort of illness. Their years of lonely wandering may be behind them as they get a hopeful chance at a future together.
I would have enjoyed this more as a longer story think - left me with too many questions, but as a quick lunchtime read, it filled the spot nicely!
Tamela
I loved this story. I'm a fan of post apocalypse stories and this one hit all the right buttons. I could only wish this was a longer story because I would love to see how this works out for these two guys!!
V
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a post-apocalyptic love story, I'm afarid it doesn't focus on the apocalypse or the reason of how it happened, I would have loved to know more about that part of it.
But, never mind it was still quite lovely.
Roclaf Alter -Ego
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun M/M romance short story.
Katy Beth Mckee
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not a big fan of this genre but I still found this to be a special story of finding love in the most trying of times.
Tailtiu
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
3,5*
Anke
Dec 16, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dsp-advent-2013
Mmpf - post apocalypse? I think this will have to wait.
Meggie
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas, shorts
This story is just to undeveloped and to short, I couldn't warm up to both MC's because of it. Anyway, at least it ended fast.
Kat
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely story, although it is post-apocalypse... but I'd loved to have known what happened to the world and what was the illness people had died of...
Kristy
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75
Amanda
This was sweet but more like a snippet of a world we know nothing about.
Lucy
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This is sweet, despite the circumstances, and would have made a really great longer book where we get to see what actually happened to the world.
Samantha rozyczko
Dec 03, 2013
Amy
Oct 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Grace Duncan grew up with a wild imagination. She told stories from an early age - many of which got her into trouble. Eventually, she learned to channel that imagination into less troublesome areas, including fanfiction, which is what has led her to writing male/male erotica.

A gypsy in her own right, Grace has lived all over the United States. She has currently set up camp in East Texas with her

Pandemus Chronicles (2 books)
  • Healing (Pandemus Chronicles #2)