Start by marking “Sandman: Cazadores de sueños (Sandman #11: novela)” as Want to Read:
Sandman: Cazadores de sueños (Sandman #11: novela)

Sandman: Cazadores de sueños

(The Sandman #One-shot)

GANADOR DEL PREMIO BRAM STOK ER DE 1999 (Narracion ilustrada).
NOMINADO AL PREMIO HUGO DE 2000 (Libro mejor relatado).
“...Consigue mantener el difícil equilibro de hacer una historia igual de accesible para los nuevos lectores y para los fans. Para los aficionados de Sandman,Cazadores de sueños es una nueva y bella aproximación a personajes conocidos. Para los lectores prim
Paperback, Especiales Vertigo, 132 pages
Published February 2015 by ECC Ediciones (El Catálogo del Comic, DC Comics) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sandman, please sign up.
Justin Labelle By suggesting it's an adaptation, Gaiman could, arguably, more easily lead his viewers into this version of dream. Believing it's an adaptation, most …moreBy suggesting it's an adaptation, Gaiman could, arguably, more easily lead his viewers into this version of dream. Believing it's an adaptation, most of us, on our initial reading, probably felt that Morpheus has arguably existed in a variety of different shapes or incarnations in reality, just as he did in Gaiman's created world.
A story is a story and if you read or enjoy Sandman, you hopefully understand that all stories can take an abundance of shapes and forms.

Taking from another culture always has the contains the risk and burden of cultural critique and, with it, the widespread negativity often imposed on cultural appropriation. By initially associating the work with that of an 'existing' tale, Gaiman may have wanted to smoothen his transition from Western to Eastern myth. People have the tendency to be more forgiving if you tell them that you were inspired by something. Who wouldn't want fan fiction by this author...(less)

Start your review of Sandman: Cazadores de sueños (Sandman #11: novela)
Alejandro
A dreamy masterpiece!

This TPB is the original prose novella written by Neil Gaiman with illustrations of Yoshitaka Amano. Don’t get it confused with the comic book format version featuring artwork of P. Craig Russell.

DREAM TEAM

You would not seek to question a poem, or a falling leaf, or the mist on the mountaintop,… …Why, then, do you question me?

You may be aware of who is Neil Gaiman, the renowed British writer that got fame precisely with The Sandman comic book series, but also he
Mir
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh hey, I know this story! Well, my version didn't have Cain and Abel and the Raven in it, but the monk and fox part was familiar. Not what I was expecting at all. Slightly disappointed to not get something new to me, but this was a very well-done version with lovely illustrations.
Gabrielle
This story has a very special place in my heart. It’s enchanting, tragically romantic and quite unforgettable. It is about many things, but the nature of love and the sanctity of life are the themes that always echo in my brain when I flip through it. I have also recently found myself very drawn to stories featuring a fox: I’m not quite sure why that is, but a quick exploration of the many symbolic associations with foxes gave me quite a lot to ponder…

There are two versions of this story availab
Teresa
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Japanese folk tale was fairly familiar to me, but it was a pleasure to read an expanded version of it and then to discover in the afterword that Gaiman was a bit freaked out to see how close the story fit in with his Sandman series. Though sometimes rather dark (in coloring), the art had much going on in it, and my favorite page was a hitherto uncharacteristic burst of colorful birds, reminding me of a Walter Inglis Anderson (a favorite artist of mine). ...more
Ray
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful novella fairy story done in faux Japanese fable form by Gaiman at the top of his form.

Recently, after the latest Sandman Overture was released, I went back and reread all of the classic Sandman series from the 90s. Completest that I try to be, I'm glad I read this which was the first time Gaiman went back to the Sandman.

Often, the best Sandman stories are the ones that feature Morpheus (also known as the King of All Night's Dreaming here) as a peripheral character. The more mytholog
Brooke
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaiman + Amano is a pairing that's like a dream come true, pun intended. Gaiman blends his Sandman characters with a Japanese fable and Amano, the artist and character designer behind many Final Fantasy games illustrates. It's beautiful, and while some video game fans complain that Amano is a one-trick pony, I think that having more of his signature style can only be a good thing.
Robert Vanneste
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and haunting artwork . I have never been disappointed by anything Gaiman has been associated with .
Randolph
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of an illustrated story than a graphic novel. Amano's artwork and the Japanese aesthetic rein in Gaiman's excessive tendency to throw in the kitchen sink, in this telling, retelling actually, of the story of the fox and the monk. The story is wonderful and the artwork even more so. Amano really should have gotten top billing since Gaiman is basically just retelling a Japanese fairy tale with some Sandman flourishes.

Thoroughly enjoyable although not really part of the Sandman canon.
Kaethe Douglas
I particularly loved the Japanese-inspired art and mythology. So pretty. It would be easy to believe that somehow the Sandman mythos could be part of Japanese mythological history. It feels real.

Library copy
Kaśyap
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, fantasy-sf
Yoshitaka Amano's art is beautiful.
Mimi
Enchanting, utterly romantic and Amano Yoshika's illustrations are hauntingly beautiful.
Absolutely adored this, and will probably re-read in the future.
Beth
Beautifully written and illustrated. The Sandman: The Dream Hunters was published for the 10th anniversary of the beginning of the series in 1999. It was written as a prose story because the artist Gaiman chose, Yoshitaka Amano, does not draw comics.

This is probably one of my favorite short stories in Sandman, a love story set in premodern Japan. The characters are a monk, a fox-spirit who falls in love with him, and an onmyoji (magician) who seeks to destroy the monk for his own purposes. The
Yasiru
This is not an adaptation of a single fairy tale as purported, though elements of the Japanese mythic tradition remain strong if not always exactly perfected. In particular, Gaiman captures the elusive spirit of the fox (or 'kitsune', which are as mysterious and versatile as they are pervasive in Japanese myth) exceedingly well, weaving about it a tale of fear against contentment and love against sacrifice morphed (forgive the pun) to fit seamlessly with the established Sandman canon.

Yoshitaka A
Nicky
It's a little inaccurate to tag this as a graphic novel, as it's actually more of a novella with illustrations. The illustrations are gorgeous -- but then, I expected that, since it's illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano (who did a lot of designs for the Final Fantasy game series).

It's a simple little story, based on a Japanese myth. The writing feels very much like a fairy tale, which is nice; Gaiman is good at adapting his writing. It's interesting to see how easily Dream and his realm are woven int
David
A retelling of a Japanese fairy tale, with Gaiman's Sandman characters grafted onto certain roles. This is not a comic book but an illustrated novella. It's a decent story, though it isn't up to the caliber of his best Sandman stories. What distinguishes this book most is the lovely multi-page spreads of Yoshitaka Amano's artwork. Worth having if you are a Sandman or Amano fan.
Fabian
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In one word: Beautiful.
This book brings together all the fantasy of The Sandman with the ancient magic of a japanese legend. If you read it long enough, you might even feel that you are reading some ancient scroll, with real ancient japanese drawings.
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Gaiman's contribution was charming (as always), Yoshitaka Amano's art was heart stoppingly exquisite. Words will not suffice.
Liv
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous artwork. This tale is less a graphic novel and more an illustrated novella. I love this visit to Dream and the world of Sandman mixed with Japanese myth.
David Giard
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long ago, in an isolated temple in the mountains near Kyoto, a magical fox falls in love with a monk. When the monk's life is threatened by a powerful rich man and his hired demons, the monk and the fox must choose whether to sacrifice themself for the other.

They seek the help of Morpheus, the King of All Night's Dreaming - a character introduced in Gaiman's popular "Sandman" comic series.

"Sandman: The Dream Hunters" is a novella written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano. Amano
Megan Cutler
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful and haunting Sandman story - probably my favorite of the ones I have read so far. The original subject matter was obviously well researched and the illustrations were absolutely gorgeous. (view spoiler) Truly, a fairy tale for adults. ...more
Paul
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story and amazing artwork.
Sofia
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Posted on my book blog.

Background: I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman and his Sandman series. I came across the more recent, graphic novel retelling of this book first, and while it appealed to me, it was nothing compared to what I experienced when I looked at the original version. The cover is absolutely beautiful, golden and luminous without being kitschy.

Review: It all begins with a wager between a badger and a fox. In a Japanese mountainside, there was a little temple, hardly visited by anyone an
Jedi JC Daquis
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dream Hunters is an absolute beauty. This book is thoroughly satisfying and alluring. Gaiman's prose is exact but rich, and Amano's art is wow, just wow.

The book genuinely felt like an old, old Japanese tale seamlessly embedded in the world of the Dream King. There is one loud message here: that the world of Sandman is vast, boundless and universal. The Dream Hunters is a trademark Gaiman storytelling: simple, elegant and strangely familiar yet enthralling and engaging from the start to the
Mel
This isn't a graphic novel but a beautifully illustrated book. In fact the illustrations are the best part. Neil does his best attempt at a Japanese style version of a Sandman story. It didn't feel quite right to me. It had some of the elements of a Japanese fairy tale, but it felt a little clumsy round the edges and the transitions. But then I'm not that familiar with Japanese literature, just know my Buddhist literature and fox spirits from Chinese literature and religion so perhaps that was m ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Me. Gaiman delivers a decent story in this installation to the Sandman series, but what really stands out is the work of Mr. Amano as illustrator. Mr. Amano's work is beautiful, and it adds a whole lot to this story. I doubt anyone else could have illustrated Mr. Gaiman's story so well.
Shadowdenizen
A dreamy (pardon the pun) interpretation of Asian mythology thru the lens of the Sadman.
The prose writing and the artwork interact beautifully, creating a breataking reading experience.
Highly recommended.
Shruti Bhat
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read.
Crazy Book Eater
This is a masterpiece.
Jake Mandel
Mar 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gaiman ejected a cliche trash fire of a novella adorned with beautiful art.
anna molly
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ebook
I love stories like this. Strangely, I felt teleported to a time when stories are told beside a warm fire of the night.
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Sandman: The Dream Hunters - who's reading? 10 21 Jul 16, 2012 05:52PM

• Death: At Death's Door
  • The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)
  • The Little Endless Storybook
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
  • Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)
  • Scalped: The Deluxe Edition Book One
  • House of Whispers Vol. 1: The Power Divided (the Sandman Universe)
  • The Dreaming, Vol. 2
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • In tempo di guerra
  • Superman: Up in the Sky
  • Lucifer, Book Three (Lucifer, #3)
  • New World
  • Lucifer, Book Five (Lucifer, #5)
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus: Volume One

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)
  • Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)
  • World's End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman, #10)