Start by marking “Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1)

Clean Sweep

(Innkeeper Chronicles #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  28,221 ratings  ·  2,464 reviews
On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shih Tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is...different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for ot ...more
Published December 2nd 2013 by Ilona Andrews

To ask other readers questions about Clean Sweep, please sign up.
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* It's purchase only, they've packaged it into an ebook file (the online serial was a series of blog posts) and edited it. I read both and the final…moreIt's purchase only, they've packaged it into an ebook file (the online serial was a series of blog posts) and edited it. I read both and the final copy if definitely worth it!(less)

·  28,221 ratings  ·  2,464 reviews

Navessa
Dear Ilona Andrews,

I'm writing to you today to inquire about your availability to speak at a week-long conference hosted by Concerned Readers Anonymous. We're a non-profit organization made up of mostly bibliophiles, with the odd comic book geek thrown in for good measure. For the most part, our meetings are pretty tame, and involve talking about our latest reads while trying to be the least introspective person in the room. Also, sharing pictures of our cats has become a favorite staple.

We kno
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re/read

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I fell right in love with this book! This is also my first Ilona Andrews book, but it won't be my last! I love them!

Dina Demille runs an Inn called Gertrude Hunt. She has a little Shih Tzu named Beast. There is a permanent guest living with Dina as well, her name is Caldenia and she cracks me up talking about eating people from time to time. :-)

There is something killing the dogs in the neighborhood, which ticks me off to no end. Dina asks her new n
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies by: JennyJen
Actual rating: 3.5

This book is part sci-fi, part fantasy, and all hilarity. It is utterly charming. Sure, there's a werewolf, a vampire, and a love triangle, but Twilight this ain't.

This is my first Ilona Andrews, and while I cannot say that it has converted me into a fan of their writing, I did enjoy this book. My main problem with this book is that it didn't draw me in as much as I had expected. It was a pleasure to read, but it lacked a certain spark that would consistently hold my attention
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
9/13/17: "Jesu, Helen, turn the horses!"

After finishing this for the FOURTH time, what more needs to be said?

10/22/15 - UPDATED REVIEW:

Well, kind of. Mostly it's a few quotes for the masses, then I've got a secondary spoiler-tagged section for questions and theories.

It was as if a medieval castle and a Southern-belle, antebellum mansion had a baby and it had been delivered into the world by a gothic wedding-cake decorator.
The inn was lavished with spindle-work, didn't make sense, and was too
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
🧹 Fear My Mighty Stick Buddy Rerererereread (FMMSBR™) with my lonely little self the IA Addicts 🧹

And the moral of this reread is : not all brooms are created equal. And neither are bed and breakfasts. Just so you know and stuff. Until next time and stuff.

Or next month/year/decade/century/whatever/you get my drift and stuff. Oh, and by the way, pretty hot hairdo/beard combo I rock there, ain't it? Yeah, I think so too.

· Book 2: Sweep in Peace ★★★★
· Book 3: One Fell Sweep ★★★★
· Book 4: Sweep of
Lola
3.5 stars.

I like Iloana Andrews’ work. I think the couple is funny and that they have great and original ideas they insert in their novels. Their books are fast-paced, relatively light, atmospheric and well-written.

Dina is an innkeeper. What does that mean? She welcomes any magic being in need of a place to stay or seeking sanctuary. She protects them… the inn protects them. She keeps the inn alive with the hope that one day someone will walk in and know something about her parents’ disappearan
Anne
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The premise honestly didn't sound all that good to me. Sorry.
And (again, no offense) I just don't like the look of these covers. They just don't make me want to open it up. Kinda reminds me of the style of the covers on some of the books I would have read 30 years ago or something.
WHICH IS SO WRONG OF ME!
I know better than to judge a book by its cover, I just...

description

But I saw that my library had these so I decided to find out if all the IA Addicts out there were right when it came to these books.
Ab
Julio Genao
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Julio by: MostlyDelores
Shelves: loved
what a surprise.

description

i kept waiting for this to suck, but it never did.

just got better and better—more imaginitive, more funny, more more.

i had two quibbles:

1. every boy she meets is gorgeous

2. every boy she meets wants to fuck her or put her in jail and then fuck her

3. there is no three; i told you i only had two quibbles—pay closer attention next time.

niggles with pacing or structure or character development evaporated in the face of the eminent awesomeness of the plot, and the admission at the end
Robin (Bridge Four)
11/17/16 Kindle Daily Deal today on my favorite UF authors book at Amazon

Reread because 3rd time is a charm with my fellow Ilona Andrews Addicts starting Nov 3 2015

Yep, I'm still team Sean and I need Dina's broom and I really want to visit Gertrude Hunt for a stay because I have often felt that the rules of physics should just be suggestions.

2nd Read November 2014

There are some books you read the second time through and you find yourself skimming to get to the parts you really liked or they
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US, 10/2/18!*

*4.5 stars*

Let's just admit something to ourselves: Ilona Andrews can do no wrong.

This new series from my favorite writing duo is freakin' fantastic. It reminds me of the world of The Edge series (On the Edge) while not being a romance. It was magic and humor and made me want to SQUEEEEE!

I want to read more about this magical innkeeper who temporarily houses freaky intergalactic beings!! I don't know how this author pair keeps coming up with new, fresh
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature. Second read, July 2016:

Dina Demille, a young woman, runs a quiet bed-and-breakfast in a small Texas town. Her inn is a quirky old Victorian home that looks like “a medieval castle and a Southern-belle, antebellum mansion had a baby and it had been delivered into the world by a gothic wedding cake decorator.” Dina’s only companion is a small black and white Shih Tzu named Beast, aside from her single permanent guest in the inn, but Dina is hoping
Aisling Zena
Reread 8/12/17

5 sweeping stars

I absolutely loved this book! I fell in love with the world, the inn, the murderous guest Caldenia, Dina the innkeeper, everything really.

description

It was a breath of fresh air, a wonderful revamp of stereotypes (werewolf and vampire) in the urban fantasy genre in a totally different way . Ilona Andrews built a new world to be immersed in and I'm thirsty for more. Loved the Innkeeper idea though I kept expecting her to do this:
description
Of course she doesn't. She is an innkeeper not a
Bibi
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, scribd
I fell asleep countless times while reading this book and I can't believe the same duo wrote the outstanding Hidden Legacy series. It didn't help that the cast of characters were all so self-aggrandising and insufferable. This is certainly one for the HATED IT list. 😒😒
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
See this review and more like it on www.bookbastion.net!

Having been on Goodreads and part of the blogging community for awhile now, I've come across the name Ilona Andrews quite a few times, but this was the first book I've picked up by this author, or rather dual authors. A pseudonym for a husband and wife author duo, Ilona Andrews has penned a number of urband fantasy/paranormal novels and series that I have somehow overlooked until I picked up a copy of Clean Sweep. And boy am I glad I did!

As
carol.
I first read Clean Sweep when it began as a free on-line serial story. It was entertaining, but seemed to be taking a paranormal romance direction in the second book, Sweep in Peace, so I stopped following the series. Peace was recently released as a Kindle book with an accompanying deal on its predecessor. In the spirit of curiosity, as well as escapism at the end of a long week, I decided to give it a re-read.

The plot centers around a young woman, Dina, who owns a mystical Inn. The neighborhoo
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
~6~ Ilona Andrews stars

The Ilona Andrews team shows yet again that they can right some of the best Urban Fantasy out there. This book reached all my expectations and then some, and trust me, they were high. Clean Sweep is a great Urban Fantsay, Sci-fi book, the first of a new series for our favourite pair of authors and I was taken with it from the first page.

Ilona Andrews create a new, complex universe in Clean Sweep. It is an advanced world where people can travel from planet to planet through
Svetlana
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars rounded up

Ilona Andrews are becoming one of my favourite authors. Their stories always have a good plot that keeps the reader engaged. It's full of witty banter, swooonn worthy men, badass heroines who really know how to take care of themselves (which I'm honestly all here for), and weird ass creatures who just don't know how to give up. Their books are so much fun and I'm glad that I have a lot more of their work to read eekk!

"What are you intentions toward Dina?" Arland asked on
Cyndi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great start for the series. Of course the characters will take some building and Dina needs some seasoning, but the concept is excellent!
Ilona Andrews have taken the paranormal world and made it science fiction. Love it! Seems that all the vampires, werewolves, ghouls, etc. began on other planets. Earth is a neutral planet and must be left unaware of the space creatures walking around, by galactic law. Any being who breaks this law faces reprimand. And if it is an innkeeper they los
Sh3lly

Hot Shifter ✅
Love Triangle I Don't Hate ✅
Lovable "Beast"-y Side-Kick ✅
Great World-Building ✅

I can't believe I waited so long to read this. I loved all the characters. I loved the story. I want more. Sean and Arland better be back soon! I especially loved how it had all the sci-fi aspects to it. The way it was written too makes it even more brilliant. (It was written in increments and posted on their website. No rewrites, and read
Melindam
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dear Traveller! Welcome to the lovely Gertrude Hunt Inn B&B, in the town of Red Deer, Texas.
A perfect place to rest and relax, where your every need will be catered to by your caring Innkeeper, Dina Demille. Walk around the lovely, shady orchard; sit on the porch; sip a glass of lemonade in company of the gentle, aristocratic lady, permanent resident of the Inn & most wanted, killer tyrant of the universe (addicted to FunYun and YelloMello).

Besides the Inn’s unique capability of self-de
♥Rachel♥
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ilona Andrews can do no wrong, IMO! Of course they always bring a strong, sassy heroine,and a gruff, sexy, alpha male, or two, as in this case. I'm rooting for Sean, that sexy werewolf! Arland is a little too proper for my tastes. I'm going to ignore that in popular fiction as Arland comments here:

"in a vampire-werewolf love triangle, the vampire always gets the girl.”

I want the werewolf to win here! No worries about the love triangle, though. It's more that two men are interested in Dina. The

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I actually read this a while ago but it was right before I left for Japan and I was lazy, so the book ended up in currently-reading limbo for a while as I trekked across Honshu. Now I barely remember reading it because I just finished WHITE HOT and neither Sean nor Arland can compete with the elemental powerhouse that is Mad Rogan and if you disagree with that, I'll see your disagreement and raise you one tactile. The end.

People are shelvin
Angela
17 November 2015: $1.99 on Kindle

November 2015 re-read: Yes, I just re-read this again. It's excellent. I can't help it.

October 2015 re-read: I can't help but agree with my review below. I was reading it, trying to figure out what I can add, and there's not much. It's Ilona Andrews. What more can I say? If you haven't read any of their books yet, please do. There's something for everyone in any of their series.

Ilona Andrews originally wrote this as a serialized publication, for free, on the web
Regina
4.5 Stars

There are many great authors writing in the urban fiction and fantasy realm. Great in terms of writing and world building and great in the way the authors interact with fans. But few can compare with the writing team that makes up Ilona Andrews. Ilona Andrews repeatedly publishes completely entertaining novels. I never hesitate to buy an Ilona Andrews book because I know that I will be happy with what I get. It doesn’t stop there, these authors continue to give their readers “snippets”,
1st read - November 2013 (Beta Read)
2nd read - January 2014
3rd read - November 2015
4th read -December 2016
5th read -October 2017

Main Review

Buddy read with Ange, Aly & Cory

Clean Sweep was originally published as a free serialised novel on the Ilona Andrews website, I hated the idea of having to wait between instalments so I decided to hold off until the story was complete before reading it. When the authors were looking for beta readers to help edit the story before it was published I jumped
Jilly
A love triangle with a vampire and werewolf? Really?
Vampire: "I have spent my spare time studying literature popular with young women of this planet. One should always study the battlefield....I suggest you give up now. According to my research, in a vampire-werewolf love triangle, the vampire gets the girl."
Werewolf: "Is that so?... In that case, may the best man win."

Hmm, that's a tough choice... Is there a third option?

But, guess what? The triangle barely exists. The book isn't a romance at
Norah Una Sumner
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: modern fantasy lovers
Guess who had so much fun reading this book?

description

I absolutely love the bad-assery that is Dina. This gal can threaten you like nobody. I am studying a lot lately and I really needed something fun to make me forget all about my college entrance exam. This book was the perfect choice! It's very unique, I loved the modern setting, with amazing characters, *cough*Dina and Sean, be still my beating werewolf heart*cough*, and kick-ass ladies! I'm jumping onto the next book immediately, can't wait to find
Maria V. Snyder
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yes another Ilona Andrews book - I downloaded it for my trip to Australia, but didn't get to it until I came home. This one also starts out with a ton of world building and lots of details about the world and magic and...well, everything. It's a bit heavy handed at time. But once you get past all that, the story flows well and the innkeepers are an interesting concept.

The eBook had an epilogue or teaser from the next book and (view spoiler)
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

"I suggest you give up now. According to my research, in a vampire-werewolf love triangle, the vampire always gets the girl.”

Ah, Ilona Andrews, you write so well.

What's even better than knowing I liked this intro into the series is knowing I have the second book waiting.

I'm not going to offer comparisons to their well-loved Kate Daniels world, except to point out the writing duo certainly know how to whip up a fantastic paranormal goodie. They changed the world here to be as inventive as the Kat
Sanaa
[5 Stars] This was really freaking good. The husband and wife duo Ilona Andrews is fast becoming one of my all time favorites. If you are looking for a fun place to start with their novels but don't necessarily want to invest in the Kate Daniels series, I seriously recommend Clean Sweep.

I thought the combination of sci-fi and urban fantasy was really intriguing here. The vampires and werewolves are familiar but have a bit of a sci-fi twist to them that I really loved. Dina is a really fantastic
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
  • Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Cursed By Destiny (Weird Girls, #3)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • City of Light (Outcast, #1)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Innkeeper Chronicles (4 books)
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
“I have spent my spare time studying literature popular with young women of this planet. One should always study the battlefield."
Sean glanced at him. "And?"
124 likes
“When a man takes up arms, he does so for many reasons. Sometimes to punish, sometimes to intimidate or frighten. But when a woman picks up a weapon, she means to kill.” 61 likes