Start by marking “Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)” as Want to Read:
Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)

Delirium's Mistress (Tales from the Flat Earth #4)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  596 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the age of demons, when the Earth was still flat, a daughter was born to a mortal beauty and Azhrarn, Demon Lord of Night. This Daughter of the Night was called Azhriaz, and she was hidden away on a mist-shrouded isle, spirit-guarded, to spend her life in dreams. But Azhriaz was destined for more than dark dreaming. For if her father was the Lord of Night, her mother wa ...more
Published June 4th 1986 by DAW (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Delirium's Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delirium's Mistress

Joseph
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The longest by far of Tanith Lee's Flat Earth books; also a direct continuation from Delusion's Master (the third book) -- per the introduction, Delusion's Master/Delirium's Mistress likely would have been one really, really long book were it not for a) the exigencies of bookbinding and b) the fact that Lee got distracted by another project between the two books.

Anyway.

Delusion's Master was the story of Chuz, third of the Lords of Darkness, and the tricks he played on Azhrarn, Night's Master, an
Genevra Littlejohn
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A more satisfying end to a glorious series than I had believed possible. It took me years to find this book, and I read it until the front cover fell off. It's marvelous to see the culmination of a decade of character-building; everyone who began in the earlier books as immature(Azhrarn, with his reckless lust and casual cruelty, Uhlume, with his unlove for humanity, Zhirem/Zhirek/Dathanja with his uncertainty, and so many others)come into themselves in so many interesting ways. Each of the prio ...more
Anna-Maria
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Tanith Lee passed away in 2015, and while I mourned my favourite author, of whose death I only heard months later, the prices of her books skyrocketed, making it almost impossible for me to continue this much-beloved series without going bankrupt. Few works ever touched me like Lee's, and witnessing her stories being removed from print one after the other felt like running out of time. The old novels sold out for horrendous sums, and I desperately reread the three first parts of the Tales from t ...more
Kate
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Though it took me very long time to finish Delirium's Mistress, I enjoyed it very much. This book is not my favorite in the Tales from the Flat Earth, but the story is still magnificent, full of details and imagination. I think the characterization of the heroine Sovaz/Azhriaz/Atmeh is at first a little flat, but with the story going on, she becomes more and more interesting. The whole story is her journey of self-discovery and of pursuit of identity, and I especially love the ending scene.
Lauren
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tanith-lee
Book 4. What I consider the "meat" of the Flat Earth series. This is the book that caused me to call Tanith Lee "religion." You can read this book first & then find yourself searching for 1, 2 & 3 to research the history this one draws on.
Andrew
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who can come up with a plausible pronunciation of the name 'Uhlume'
Coming off of Death's Master--basically a story of murder and revenge sex--I didn't expect this book to be such a sentimental examination of what it is to be human and mortal. Weirdly affecting, and still full of the bizarre and wondrous.
Miranda
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
my favourite of the series, still.
D.D. Price
This book is a mess. It is a disaster of a mess. It is perhaps the biggest reading disappointment I’ve experienced this year. I had waited over a year to continue with the Flat Earth series. I had waited due to lack of availability of the books. So you can imagine my excitement at the DAW reissue. Tanith Lee is one of my favorite authors so I was salivating in anticipation to continue with this awesome series. Except that this book wasn’t as awesome as the previous books. It has some good moment ...more
Aldo Ojeda
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In the fourth book of the series, Tanith Lee unleashes all her delirious imagination. By the middle of Delirium's Mistress, the tale goes full surrealistic. Her narration also becomes more ornate than ever. But still, some whole chapters feel unnesesary, as the return of some characters from the previous books.
Ана Хелс
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
След магията на лудостта идва обсебващата пропаст на делириума, в който заспиват сърца и се събуждат души. С промяната на съзнанието и възраждането на мечтите у героите полу-хора, но не и покровители на човешкия род, правилата на световния ред се изменят по волята на несъществуващи зарове. Четвъртият лорд на мрака – принц Кишмет или Съдбата , излиза на сцената , за да спаси най-новата богиня на плоската земя, сменяща имена и спомени като сенките в ясно черните си коси.

От жестоки владетели и безм
Quill
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Basics

This is the fourth installment in Tanith Lee’s Tales of the Flat Earth. Last we left off in Delusion’s Master, Azhrarn, Prince of Demons, had fallen in love with a mortal and sired a child. This is the story of that child.

My Thoughts

Tales of the Flat Earth is Lee’s masterstroke when it comes to fantasy writing. It’s a dark fairy tale that makes no attempt at being anything but purely adult. I have copies of the previous three books that plainly state “adult fantasy” on the cover, as if
Virgil S.
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read Night's Master a while back and loved it. Tanith Lee's sumptuous prose and intriguing, unique characters left me wanting to delve deeper into the Flat Earth series.

I, however, have had to curb my spending, and am currently relying on my city's library system for my reading material. The library doesn't have Death's Master or Delusion's Master available to check out, so I had to jump right into Delirium's Mistress. I read summaries of Death's Master and Delusion's Master before starting on
Enric
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch, high-fantasy
I am just at page 69 but it has been a real shock for me from the very beginning.
Tanith Lee is an author from which I have only read 2 previous books, one I can't recall but taht it was a Spanish translation and quite good, the other was the first book of the Vis series (The Stormlord) which I found rather dull and with a not quite consistent storyline.

But this one is a completely different thing. The author uses a style close to poetic prose and the story is utterly compelling. Well, I don't w
Claudia Piña
Parece que tiene mucho que empecé Flat Earth, se siente como que han pasado tantas cosas. Al principio me pareció meramente interesante y no tenía idea de que terminaría tan fascinada con Tanith Lee y este universo tan original y complejo, lleno de grandes personajes y hermosas descripciones.

Tenía un poco de preocupación de que terminara en un tono agridulce y oscuro como el resto de la serie, pero me alegra que fuera un final tan satisfatorio. Siento que no se quedó solo en frases bellas y ela
Michael
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another consistently brilliant installment in the books of the Flat Earth series, Delirium's Mistress describes the rise and fall of Azhrarn's daughter, Azhriaz. She is arguably the most developed character yet in Lee's defining series, as well as providing deeper insight into previous characters (most notably Zhirek) through the foil of her own adventures. The prose poetry of these novels is crystallized here, every page containing playful, artful and startling turns of phrase and pointedly imp ...more
CJ
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is one of a series that are wonderfully written. They are adult fairy tales not for the faint of heart, where demons are unbearably lovely yet they are prone to damaging those things they take an interest in. You can start anywhere in the series, but it's best to get the backstory by starting at the beginning and working up to this one.
Tanith Lee's language is the main draw in these books. They are lush and opulent to a fault but they are well plotted and nicely paced so that you're n
Seikaiha
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been kind of resentful with this book for many years. But after listening to the audio version of the whole series, I felt I could appreciate the series, especially the last few volumes, truly now. So I got so excited when the e-book version of the series started becoming available and felt grateful for that. This book reminded me that this series is also stories of mankind.
Dina
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-author
the main character of delirium's mistress is Azhriaz, who, after the events of delusion's master, grows up abandoned and unloved by her grieving father. before i started reading, i didn't know what to expect from Azhrarn's daughter, but she turned out to be an amazing heroine.
Mickey Schulz
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
More Flat Earth. I named my first cat Azhriaz after the title character if that tells you anything.
Raluca
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, best
magic + wisdom = awesome
I mean really, this book explains how humans came to be, no kidding.
A.C. Ellas
Victoria
Jan 24, 2011
D
Aug 11, 2011
  • Kingdoms of the Night (Anteros, #3)
  • Amazons!
  • When Darkness Falls: Kiss of the Wolf\Shadow Kissing\The Devil She Knew
  • Dark of the Moon (Kencyrath, #2)
  • The Curse of Slagfid
  • Beneath an Opal Moon (Sunset Warrior Cycle, #4)
  • The War of Powers
  • Precious Dragon (Detective Inspector Chen, #3)
  • The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)
  • The Gate of Ivory (Ivory #1)
  • The Illustrated Book of Myths
  • Gloriana
  • Golden Witchbreed (Orthe #1)
  • The End of the Story
  • The Swords of Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #5)
  • The Troll King
  • Eros Ascending (Tales of the Velvet Comet, #1)
  • Dagger  (Thieves' World #5)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee

Tales from the Flat Earth (5 books)
  • Night's Master  (Tales from the Flat Earth #1)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • Night's Sorceries (Flat Earth, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“Are not all loves secretly the same? A hundred flowers sprung from a single root.” 66 likes
“What is any of this to us? Time is endless and ours. Love and Death are only the games we play in it.” 16 likes