Start by marking “Vinland Saga, Volume 1: For Honor and Vengeance” as Want to Read:
Vinland Saga, Volume 1: For Honor and Vengeance

Vinland Saga, Volume 1: For Honor and Vengeance

(Vinland Saga #1-2)

As a child, Thorfinn sat at the feet of the great Leif Ericson and thrilled to wild tales of a land far to the west. But his youthful fantasies were shattered by a mercenary raid. Raised by the Vikings who murdered his family, Thorfinn became a terrifying warrior, forever seeking to kill the band's leader, Askeladd, and avenge his father. Sustaining Throfinn through his or ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Kodansha Comics (first published October 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Vinland Saga, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vinland Saga, Volume 1

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 by Naoki UrasawaBerserk, Vol. 1 by Kentaro Miura20th Century Boys, Band 01 by Naoki UrasawaVagabond, Vol. 1 by Takehiko InouePLUTO by Naoki Urasawa
Great Seinen Manga
168 books — 263 voters
Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoPandora Hearts 1巻 by Jun MochizukiFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaA Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru MoriKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Best Manga Art
281 books — 255 voters

More lists with this book...

Connor
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Woah this is so good! I wish I hadn’t delayed so long, but now I can get the next ones sooner! I loved the characters and the story. It was awesome that it included some historical figure names and groups. This is definitely a new favorite manga series in the making!
Jessica
I have never read a manga before. SHOCKING, I KNOW! It was really interesting to read right to left, and didn't take long at all to get the hang of it, thus freeing me up to enjoy this fabulous story! This reminded me so much of the Icelandic movie . . . um, Outlander, I guess it is in English. Outlaw? Exile? Anywhoo, this was a great start to an epic story about war, revenge, and what makes a man and a warrior! Includes an interesting bonus story set in Japan, and an author's note about him goi ...more
Sud666
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed the Vinland Saga. So much so that I went out and purchased some of the volumes I was missing. Volume 1 starts the entire epic action story.

The story starts in the Frankish Kingdoms. We run into Askeladd, Thorfinn and many of the other major characters participating in an attack on a Frankish fortification. After helping themselves to the booty the Norsemen leave the fray to disappear.

Later in Denmark we find that Askeladd's band celebrating-but all is not
Skye Kilaen
Initially, I wasn't 100% on board with the premise of this manga: a child named Thorfinn raised by the rival Viking tribe that murdered his father, working towards his goal of killing their leader. At over 450 pages for one volume, and it's an incredibly long ongoing series. Was I really in the mood for several thousand pages of guys fighting?

What I didn't realize was that Yukimura would first delve deep into Thorfinn's past with his family, making me love them, and especially making
ManiacalBookUnicorn
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, manga
*This review is spoiler free*

So…

It…

Sigh

This series… I just…wow. This is one case of judging a book by its (beautiful hard)cover gone completely right. It just happened to catch my eye when I was cruising my local library seinen (older male) manga shelves, and I picked it up without even glancing at the premise. I’ve been sitting here trying to sum this series up into a coherent review but, nope, I just can’t right now. The ART. Ugghhh, I feel…like…sigh

Noooo *metal slap* , Ifeel…like…
James DeSantis
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this 2 years ago and thought was okay. Now re-reading it I still wouldn't go with "great" but I'll go with good now for sure.

So the story is really two volumes in one. So the fist one is a high speed, bloody, adventure of vikings doing what they do best. Kill and take over places. That's their life. You follow the story of a young warrior named Thorfinn. You can tell right away he works with the vikings, he's strong, and extremely fast but he does not like them or their leader. Why does
Etienne
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great great start! Both on the history and epic part of it. Awesome characters, good arts and strong story/plot. I really like it and I'm fully in to continue!
Tiago
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, historical
HELL YEAH the anime is finally coming!

The CHILLS!

Good production value, I actually like the style, very similar.
Faith Hicks
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I was really excited to read this. I really enjoyed Planetes (which is sadly out of print) by the same author, and even tried to get Vinland Saga in French, thinking it'd never make its way over to the English market. Thankfully it did, and I wasn't disappointed. Most of this volume (which is actually volumes 1 & 2, so extra value) is in flashback to the childhood of Thorfinn, and the knowledge of what happens in that flashback hangs over the entire book. The art is gorgeous, a combination o ...more
Koen Claeys
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this first volume very much. VERY VERY MUCH!!!! Hardcover containing 500 pages of superior manga at $20!
Nelson
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Nearly perfect. Historically accurate, as far as it can be. Great plot told mostly through flashbacks in this first book. Amazing art with really well done action and some of the best visual storytelling I've seen in sequential fiction. Absolutely read it if you like manga, and I'd even go as far as to say that it's one of the best gateways for western comic fans to get into manga.
J.M.
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I rarely read manga. If they were all like Yukimura’s Vinland Saga, I’d read a shit ton more. This is storytelling done right. Characters, pacing, dialogue, art, action, betrayal, mythology, and Vikings! All of it is top notch here. Guess I’ll be getting the next one, folks, and also looking for more stuff by Makoto Yukimura. Highly recommended. 4+ stars.
The_Mad_Swede
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2019, manga, 2016
I first stumbled across this manga quite some time ago in the form of a recommendation, albeit not one aimed at me, but rather one for a friend of mine (from one of his friends). At any rate, the title registered in the back of my mind for future reference, and stayed there ... until I stumbled across it again, this time at my local library. Well, since the volumes are kind of thick, I yet again stored the information for future reference and left it at that ... until a little while ago when I w ...more
Ben Wright
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow !

This is gorgeous. I get the hype, I really do.
The art in this manga is gorgeous, and they really know how to do battle/fight scenes, the choreography is stunning. I also love how it wasn't afraid to do a more comedy artstyle during light hearted moments.
I was worried going in that this could be just a drudge of angst however that was shortly rectified when the volume showed the lighter sides of the characters (including Askeladd who may or may no be one of my favourite characters of the
Sarah Schanze
One of my new favorite mangas, I desperately hope this does well so Kodansha can bring more volumes to the US. They give it a great treatment and you get a good bit of story for your money.
Zerong
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book is a action packed manga series that will make you crave for more after you finish the first book. I would recommend this book to you if you like medieval times.
Whitney
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, manga-2017, 05-stars
Listen to the Vikings tv show soundtrack while reading.
Scottsdale Public Library
I never cared much about Vikings. They're so often depicted as terrible criminals wearing ridiculous helmets that I've unfortunately grown to tune out their stories when they turn up.

"Vinland Saga" may change that. In this manga series, Vikings are depicted as fierce warriors, yes. But they are humans, not soulless killing machines.

Mike
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction, manga

Vinland Saga may change that. In this manga series, Vikings are depicted as fierce warriors, yes. But they are humans, not soulless killing machines.

This first volume starts with the breaking of a siege, with Thor-Finn, a young man with amazing skills in battle, playing a big part in the victory. Subseq
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
Let us get one thing out of the way: this manga starts slow and in this volume, the going is SLOW, glacial even (sic). I understand the need to set the scene, but it is rather easy to lose interest at some points. I think maybe it was wrong to start off with an adolescent, battle hungry Thorfinn and then never return to him in the same volume, providing only background story. Don't get me wrong: it's a well written, tragic story, but still, the pacing seems wrong.

However, massive kud
Albert
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read 10 omnibus volumes so far, but this first volume starts with it's daggers out and ready to slice and dice! Thorfinn is a great protagonist and the detailed attention to the era by Yukimura is top-notch. There's a lot of gory sequences and, in many ways, senseless murders, but it definitely reflects the era that the Vikings were the most dangerous warriors in the world. Great read that kept me interested 4000 pages later.
Jose
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
A take on Nordic legends from a Japanese author with the common tropes of a manga. But those tropes are going down every chapter, si it turns out to be a very interesting representation of history. And the art is great.
Colin
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hey everyone, I liked a manga!
Evy
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Emma
I really had no idea what was even happening for the first 75 pages. The rest was good, though.
Chad Jordahl
Engaging read. Good art, story, action. Will definitely continue the series.
Eastham Erik
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readers of Manga are no doubt aware of Vinland Saga. Readers beginning to learn what Manga is and what offerings it has, will likely learn about Vineland Saga quickly.

Vinland Saga is, as the title suggests, a true saga. Ten omnibus volumes are already available, with the 11th due in November of 2019 . . . of course if the reader needs to continue the story and not wait for the HC offerings, then the regular manga offerings will suffice.

Omnibus 1 will get the readers feet
Adam Shields
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short Review: This was recommended to me by a number of people. I found it via interlibrary loan because it is expensive. It was well worth reading, but this first volume is only the first of 9 volumes released to date (all over 400 pages). So there is a real investment if you are going to pick up the whole thing.

The story is about early vikings. The violence and raiding of the culture are front and center. This is a very violent novel. But it presents itself as a book that is in the
Kiwi
WHERE HAS THIS MANGA BEEN IN ALL MY LIFE?! This has to be one of the best series I have ever read. Hands down. I know I am probably over hyping this manga, but it is legitimately amazing. It probably is due to the fact that I am getting older for shounen and tired of its typical usual cliches and now should move onto seinen instead. For a while now, I have been stuck in a rut with my manga reading. There seemed to be nothing really interesting or if there was, it was either too weird or cliche for my tastes t ...more
Monsour
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my opinion on all the available chapter'a right now.

Vinland Saga is one of the best manga/comic I've ever read in my entire life and also one of the most detailed artwork ever. It's a story of a boy living in this harsh times seeking revenge all his life yet never even fulfills it. It's a story of vengeance, redemption and what truly means to a warrior.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Vinland Saga Suspended???? 2 16 Jan 16, 2015 03:15AM
Comic books/Graph...: January: Vinland Saga 1 10 18 Feb 28, 2014 02:48PM

• 乙嫁語り 6 [Otoyomegatari 6] (A Bride's Story, #6)
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • Vagabond, Vol. 1
  • The Heart of Thomas
  • Message to Adolf, Part 2
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Omnibus 1
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #1)
  • Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit, Volume 1 (Ikigami, #1)
  • Wolfsmund, Volume 1
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01

Vinland Saga (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Vinland Saga, Tome 1