Start by marking “Feathers From the Sky” as Want to Read:
Feathers From the Sky

Feathers From the Sky

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2013 Advent Calendar collection Heartwarming.

Cal Thompson is going a little mad over the Christmas holiday, stuck in a tiny house with fourteen members of his immediate family. There's no privacy and no boyfriend to help him cope—because Philip is still a secret, though not for long. Cal's family knows he's bisexual, but they've always a
Published December 1st 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Feathers From the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feathers From the Sky

Nick Pageant
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
My Christmas gangbang with Mishy continues. I'm getting a little sore, but I think I can handle a few more.

This was really cute and benefited from some smoking hot sex scenes. Buon Natale!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.25*

The blurb does not do this story justice.
Cal loves his family, even if there are too many of them stuffed in to their parents small house.
Cal is an introvert and is feeling slightly overwhelmed by all the people and of course he feels the pressure of finally coming out to his family. I didn't quite see why he was so nervous, it was obvious his family loves him, but I guess you never know...
I loved how the family interacted and the traditions and I loved Philip and Cal together.
“We love pa
wesley

You know that warm, tingly feeling you get when Christmas is near? You feel so light and there's something different in the air you breathe? Well, this short story felt exactly like that for me.

This was a very heartwarming holiday story featuring big families, cute idiosyncrasies, and a coming-out rite of passage gone too long. Cal's character resonated with me well. And Philip! You cannot not love that guy.

He had the most unusual eye color. On the outside they were dark blue, but then they tra
Tess
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Aww, another lovely heartwarming holiday story!
Elizabetta

The house may be on the shabby side and too small, bursting at the seems with fifteen people stuffed into it, but it’s Cal’s family home and everyone is back for Christmas week in the snowy countryside.

There are a lot of changes for twenty-six year old Cal this Christmas with the family. He’s finally ready to come out to them, and his boyfriend, Phillip, the love of his life, is coming to meet them too. And Cal’s parents have some news of their own.

I loved this. The author captures the feel of a
Anke
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dsp-advent-2013
I was eagerly awaiting this story and today, finally it was in my mail! Just finished reading and this was simply wonderful! I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face and thinking about a re-read.

I totally felt for Calvin - being together with that huge family with no means of alone time and how everything looked better when Philip arrived. His timidity to finally tell his family the truth about his relationship with Philip, although he was determined to do so - the actual saying-it-out-loud
Susan
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, mm

On the one hand I really liked the warm fuzzies of Cal’s big family, but on the other hand I found it VERY unrealistic that Cal had been hiding the love of his life for the past 3 years because he was afraid of his parent’s reaction.

The parents were sweet and loving, so I really didn’t get Cal. And 3 years, that is a very long time!

It still was a very sweet story and I did like Cal and Philip together.

description
Elsbeth
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it

Another fuzzie Christmas story!

*3,5 stars*

Loved Cal's big family but Cal being so worried that his family wouldn't accept his relationship with Philip... pleasssse! But minor thingie. Still quite enjoyable to read.

I liked this quote;
"I like you and love you. According to my mom, that's a pretty big deal, because there have been entire months my mom hasn't liked my dad, even though she still loved him."

Ann
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great, quiet Christmas story and I just loved it. The characters felt real, the family was amazing, the angst wasn't overdone and the relationship between Phillip and Cal was perfect. I really felt the connection and the love between them. Cal's fear of being honest with his family was believable even if it didn't seem completely warranted. A big part of Cal's anxiety just came from his personality which just made him seem all the more real. A highly recommended story that is about fa ...more
Eli Easton
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet, well-written Christmas story about coming out to the family. Cal is visiting his large family for Christmas. The middle child of 7, Cal was always the introvert of the lot and the most sensitive. He loves his siblings and parents but he's never been able to tell them that he's in a relationship with Phillip--they all think Phillip is just a roommate. Phillip comes to spend the holidays with the fam and the truth will out. I read this in one sitting. The first person POV voice was charmi ...more
Candice
What a great holiday story. I don't come from a large family, but the author did a great job showing how it must be when you have such a large family. I really don't know why Cal seemed to nervous about telling his family, you just got the feeling from the beginning that they would be understanding. Perfect scene with Philip and Cal after they finished there walk. This story just was a feel good read that left me smiling.
Ami

I love stories about family – especially around holidays. So when I read the summary of this, even if Posy Roberts was a new-to-me author, I immediately decided to read it. Added with the fact that it was about an established couple, one of my favorite themes, score!

I thought the description about Cal’s family was the best thing about this. It was crazy, it was cozy, it was loud, it was heartwarming, it was well, what family could be. I loved learning about Cal’s family members, as much
Sara
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Daww. This was beyond adorable. I love introverted Cal with his big family. Being an introvert myself and the youngest child of eleven, I can totally get where he was coming from. Cal was so real, he read so real and so did his simply amazing boyfriend Phillip and the whole damn family. What a great story about love, hope, family and acceptance. What a lovely, warm and uplifting feel good story.
Tina
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Feathers From The Sky is a short story included in Dreamspinner Press’s Advent anthology. I am a big fan of Posy Roberts, so I was delighted to be able to read and review this story. It is a sweet, sometimes hot family Christmas story. It is funny, and sweet, a tiny bit angsty, and romantic and all that one could want in a Christmas season read.

Calvin and Phillip have been together for three years. Calvin told his parents in high school that he was bi-sexual but they only ever saw him date women
Serena Yates
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, holiday
'Feathers from the Sky' is an excellent title for this book. It was explained to me when one of the main characters describes what the snow coming down feels and looks like. For him, the snowflakes were like "feathers from the sky". For me, this title also describes the feeling of the story: very light, sometimes surprising, and very beautiful. This is not an action-packed adventure, or a laugh-out-loud comedy. It is a quiet story about a man struggling with telling his family he has a boyfriend ...more
Lisa The Novel Approach
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Feathers From The Sky is a great holiday short story. The love in that small house with so many people crammed inside was obvious. Posy Roberts did a great job of writing at least a little something about all of Calvin’s siblings and more about his parents. In such a short story, to know so much about each character is rare.

See the entire review at The Novel Approach: http://thenovelapproachreviews.com/20...
Isabel
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love sweet, lovely, short stories like this! The story of Calvin and Phillip, a established couple, that is spending the holidays with Calvin's family. However his family doesn't know that they are a couple! The development is beautiful and there's the HEA that I love so much :)
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
that was a sweet family story

12/26/2017 sometimes a reread can ruin a story. Sigh. I wish I had left myself with the same happy memories of this book that I started with. I won't change the rating since I still loved hearing Paul Morey's voice.
Don Bradshaw
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This sentimental story was all about the modern family. I liked the major mayhem as all the members of the family packed into the old house for one last Christmas. The traditions, thoughts and new family members made this story a feel good read.
Lucy
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5

For me, this is one of the loveliest of the DSP advent calendar. It's just soft and sweet, funny and very holiday. Loved this!
Justin
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars Fantastic holiday short story. I loved the author's voice and the characters were amazing.
Sandra
ARC Review: Feathers From The Sky by Posy Roberts A cute, sweet feel-good Christmas story about a young man, Cal Thompson, who's out to his family as bisexual, but hasn't told them about the boyfriend he's had for a while. They've assumed, or so he thinks, that he'll eventually marry and have babies, even if he's bisexual. Now he's stuck in a house with fourteen of them for Christmas, but planning to tell them about Philip. Who's on his way to Cal's family's house.

The blurb is slightly mislead
Katharina
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was a heartwarming little holiday treat (as promised by the series name) featuring an established couple for a change. Established couples aren't usually my favourite thing - simply because I just like the getting-together part so much in the romance books I read. But here it's good - it makes all the things happening that much more believable and I generally liked both Philip and Cal. The family setting was cozy as well, all the different family members traipsing in and out of the story we ...more
Melyna
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Calvin and Philip have been together for over three years and still Calvin has not told his family that they are more than roommates. They know Calvin is bisexual but have never seen him in a relationship with a man. While he realizes his family is very accepting, he worries they will be disappointed because he is not going to have children and he hears every time they get together what a great dad he would be and he does not have the heart to tell them, until now.

He has decided to share this wi
Meep
Jun 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
I felt sorry for Cal lost amongst the bustle of his big noisy family. But then I felt lost too - the writing style doesn't work for me it's all tell and fading out of conversations for introspection instead of showing things. What had potential to be a cute seasonal family story fell flat as I didn't get any feel for the family; or even an idea of how many of them there were, it was just random faceless noise.

And the plot concept - Bisexual boy who is out to his family, who might not understand
Denise H.
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful short Christmas story. Cal is home for the week to visit his family, and Philip is on the way there. The small home is full of brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, parents and a dog, plus sexy time, too. Family visits are fun, but Cal needs to tell them about his relationship with Philip. They've been together three years and plan on forever, so he needs to be honest. Why is it so hard to say? Philip arrives and family games, eating, snowball wars, and camaraderie ensues. Wha ...more
Didi
That was a delightful holiday story. It's so true that during holiday there were two courses bound to happen to houses; either they got empty or burst at every corners with multiplying residents. Being an introvert, crowd-avoider and middle-child myself, I sympathized with Calvin for his struggle to cope.

That saying, as adorable as he seemed, I felt he's a bit childish and overly dramatic. His anxiety was all for nothing except tuckered himself out. But he and Philip were tots adorbs. In fact,
Shelby P
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: holidays, m-m
At first I didn't quite know where the story was heading. I do like that we have an established couple. Now why couldn't Cal find the same courage he found when he told his parents he was bisexual that Philip is his boyfriend and not just roommate? That was a stretch. Yeah I get the parents wanting him to have kids but that was a cop out.

I did like Philip. I thought he was an excellent boyfriend and will make a great husband!
Riina Y.T.
Oh, aw! Oozing sweetness and love.

That was an unexpected and absolutely lovely read! Somehow refreshing and sweet but not overly mushy or kitschy...

I also totally dig the hot n sexy moments, which were unexpectedly hot and sexy :)

Very well written, a definite keeper.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous Christmas story.

Emotional, romantic and really satisfying.

Lovely!
  • Gaudete
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Rebound (Heartwarming)
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf
  • The Healing Power of Eggnog
  • In Another Life (Heartwarming)
  • A Lion in Tails (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • Where You Lead
  • Christmas Delights
  • Inspiration
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Holidays with the Bellskis, #2)
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • The Family We're Born With (Finding Family, #1)
Posy Roberts started reading romance when she was young, sneaking peeks at adult books long before she should’ve. Textbooks eventually replaced the novels, and for years she existed without reading for fun. When she finally picked up a romance two decades later, it was like slipping on a soft hoodie . . . that didn’t quite fit like it used to. She wanted something more.

She wanted to read about men