Start by marking “Swept to Sea (Ladies of the Caribbean #1)” as Want to Read:
Swept to Sea (Ladies of the Caribbean #1)

Swept to Sea

(Ladies of the Caribbean #1)

Lady Eden Trenton never wanted to leave her privileged existence in London—until her father invites a dangerous suitor into her life. Left with few options, Eden devises the best reprieve she can: escape. Chasing freedom, she stows away aboard a pirate ship, praying she will gain her independence in the colonies before she is discovered by the nefarious crew.
Captain Caspi
Published November 25th 2013 by Astrea Press

To ask other readers questions about Swept to Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swept to Sea

April
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Swept to Sea is a debut novel for teen, Heather Manning. Considering her age, I would say she has done a good job of crafting her first novel. And I can see potential for her future in writing. I think this might be better if labeled as a Young Adult novel. I could see the dialogue and dramatization going over better with a younger crowd. For a YA novel I might give this 3 1/2 - 4 Stars. Manning is very imaginative and writes with a flare, from the depths of her knowledge. If she were my daughte ...more
Leah
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
A thrilling debut novel!

Here’s the thing, I LOVE sea-faring adventures. And when you add pirates in the mix, I’m bound to love it. Swept to Sea is the debut novel of 16-year-old author, Heather Manning. Heather and I sail the sea’s together for author MaryLu Tyndall’s Motley Crew and it is so exciting to see a friend’s novel get published! I was afraid that being acquainted with the author would cloud my judgment, but I soon found that was impossible because I absolutely LOVED Swept to Sea!

Lady
Donna (More Than a Review)
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Swept to Sea is a historical action adventure romance on the high seas. Eden’s father is forcing her to marry Lord Rutger who is violent. After his latest attack she is convinced she is safer running away. Eden ends up on the Dawn’s Mist which is Captain Caspian’s ship. Caspian is still healing from the death of his wife and raising his son Reed on his own. Reed was adorable.

You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcoh
Kira
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely great book! I couldn't put it down! It was well-written and had a great plot. Eden is such an interesting character, and very easy to relate to. You make this connection to her....You can feel what she feels, and think how she does. I sat back and watched the entire book unfold. Well done!
Andy Walser
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Swept to Sea was, in a word, brilliant. A brilliant cast of characters, a brilliant setting, a brilliant everything. I would gladly read this book again and again. I started it last Wednesday morning, expecting to have finished it by Friday, or Sunday at the latest. Instead, I finished it before three o’ clock on Wednesday. Normally, I don’t read any type of historical fiction. Swept to Sea was the exception.
The characters in the book have an incredible amount of life. I don’t think I’ve ever re
Nate
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The high seas, pirates, storms, privateers, revenge and romance! Swept to Sea, the first offering by young author Heather Manning was a very entertaining historical fiction book that captured all of those and more.

The year is 1696 in a time of expanding colonization of the Americas and the Caribbean when pirates roamed the seas and privateers were hired by their home countries to fight them off and to keep the seas as safe as possible for merchants and others traveling between the New World and
Miranda A. Uyeh
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much!

It took me a while to get into, but once I did, I couldn’t put it down. My favorite character was Captain Caspian. Between Heather Manning and MaryLu Tyndall—these authors have led me to fall in love with pirate fiction. Manning gave me a blast with this book.

The characters were very well fleshed out, and the setting, so vivid. I actually felt like I was on the ship myself. This story had two villains—the main one, and a secondary. Out of humor, I asked myself how a swe
Natalie
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle-read
If you like M. L. Tyndall, buy this book!

Privateer and former pirate Caspian Archer sets his sails for revenge against the evil Captain Moore who murdered his wife five years ago. But a beautiful young stowaway brings confusion to his plan--and his heart.

Lady Eden Trenton is running from a physically abusive engagement and seeks refuge in the hold of the Dawn's Mist. There, she makes friends with Captain Archer's young son, Reed. Even the Captain himself shows her kindness and the gentle rogue
Zara Hoffman
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The plot and characters (with a few exceptions) were wonderfully crafted and complicated enough to make this an interesting read. The main character, Eden, was a great combination of feisty and gentle that she represented someone I would like to emulate. As a non-religious person, I expected her views to be overbearing, but that was not the case at all. Caspian was a great guy with flaws (in a good way), and I really liked seeing how he tried to be a good father, but ...more
Cortney Manning
I LOVED Heather Manning’s debut novel, Swept to Sea! This historical novel is packed with adventure, romance, and fantastic characters. I loved Eden, the stubborn and innocent English lady who runs away from home to escape an arranged marriage. Her interactions with Caspian, range from hilarious to heartwarming. Caspian is a privateer captain who discovers a stowaway on his ship as he sails toward Jamaica seeking revenge. My favorite character, though, is little Reed, Caspian’s adorable son. He ...more
Linda
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am impressed with the storyline and character development in Heather Manning's first novel, Swept to Sea. Romance, adventure suspense, set on the high seas...a great combination! Heather did a thorough job with researching background for this book, and I appreciated the period references which made the story credible all the way through. Engaging dialogue as well!

I love books that have a strong female protagonist, and Lady Eden was a very determined young lady from page one through to the end
Amalie Vantana
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great debut novel by a talented young author. Swept to Sea is a sweet story with romance, adventure, suspense, wonderful supporting characters, an independent leading lady, and a pirate gentleman. All things I love in a story. From Captain Archer's need to avenge his late wife's death to Lady Eden Trenton's determination to escape a life of cruelty that was arranged for her, I enjoyed the story. I loved all the supporting characters, especially Caspian's young son and his first mate. I could s ...more
Pamela
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful Inspirational Historical Romance!! A plot that is going to keep you turning the pages, a romance and it is extremely well written.

I just loved Caspian, who doesn't love a pirate even one who is now a privateer, his son Reed and many other well defined characters. Gage was awesome and I hope that he gets his own story in the future. Lady Eden was so awesome, brave and strong. Her friends were tremendous and so strong.

I can't wait for Heather's next book. A very talented young aut
S. Martin
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I told this to Heather and I'll say it here: reading "Swept to Sea," to me, felt like I was reading a Disney Pixar/Disney Princess movie. That was a good thing! This book will go over better with the younger side of the YA crowd rather than the older -- that's just the kind of book it is. Me personally? I don't usually read this genre. This is the first time, actually, but I enjoyed the book. Out of ten, (my preferred scale), I'd give this book a 7.5.

So why do I say it was like reading a Disney
Grace
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
When you're reading a book, does the author picture or bio influence your view of the book? I know for me it sometimes gives me a new perspective on the story. Swept to Sea is unique, not only because of the beautifully told story, but also because of its author. Heather Manning is a teen writer who published her debut novel, Swept to Sea, when she was only sixteen. So what is her book about? Is it up to par with the other inspirational romances out there? Let's take a look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leah
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think the biggest thing about Swept to Sea that swept me away (no pun intended) was that it was written by a high school student! It was a fantastic debut novel that showed off mature writing skills and a grasp of life far beyond her age. It showed me that the author is a keen observer of life and an avid reader of other great novels, because she understands not only human behavior and interaction, but also the stylistic details that constitute excellent pieces of literature.
I was thoroughly e
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)

Swept to Sea is an Inspirational Historical Fiction book set on the open seas. Eden is desperate to escape and unwanted marriage to a hideous, mean man who is abusive and controlling. She hides aboard a ship captained by Caspian and is, of course, found out.

Eden is a bit wary of men, understandably. She has been hurt and betrayed by those she trusted. Caspian seems a bit rough around the edges at first, dealing with his own past and regrets, but is very attracted to Eden. His gentleness
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Swept To Sea
By: Heather Manning
I want to say that Manning has done a very good job on her first Novel, Swept To Sea. She is just getting started as a writer and I am ready to read more of her novels. Oh, did I forget to tell you that she is only sixteen. Before I started reading, Swept To Sea, I did not know what to expect. I knew it would be about pirates, adventure, and romance. There are also pirate ships that get fired on at sea. Lady Eden Trenton was being forced into a marriage arrangement
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
***3.5***

Eden's father is forcing her to marry an abusive man. The family needs the money, so she decides that it is time for her to run to the Caribbean to escape the marriage.

She stows away on a privateer boat, is discovered, and meets a complicated man. She is attracted to him, but afraid of men in general. The story deals with captain Caspian's efforts to prove that all men are not abusers. The captain has an adorable son, who factors into the story as comedy relief and adds a cute factor.

I
Naomi Rawlings
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the first time Lady Eden Trenton and Captain Caspian Archer meet, sparks fly–though mainly of the romantic variety rather than the enraged variety. When Caspian finds Eden stowing away on his ship, he can’t help but fall a little in love with her on the spot. And as the couple travels across the Atlantic to Jamaica, feelings keep blooming, which is a good thing considering the danger that’s following Eden across the sea.

Swept to Sea is a fast-paced story that doesn’t offer much down time fo
Anne
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Swept to Sea was quite an enjoyable story with plenty of intrigue to keep me glued to the page. The characters are engaging along with great banter between them. I could tell that the author had done a lot of research, as I felt like I was sailing along on the ship with Eden and Caspian.

If you enjoy historicals set on the high seas, then you are sure to like Swept to Sea by teenage debut novelist Heather Manning. I’ll be looking for the next books in this series to find out what happens with Iv
Amanda
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It's hard to believe this is her first published novel! It's full of adventure and keeps you going! It has the perfect mix of pirates, love, deception...all the things that make a novel great! To make things even better, most of the book takes place on a ship. Does it get better than that? I love a great sea-faring romance! I'm looking forward to reading more of what Heather has to offer in her writings.
MLOW
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, did-not-finish
The author has definite potential. I was surprised to discover she was a teen. Understanding that also helped me understand what I personally found lacking in the character development and motivations. Again I see much potential and trust the author's future works will continue to build on this solid beginning.
Adriana Gabrielle
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 star rating from me. If you haven't read this book...Read it now. You will not regret it. It is amazing!

If I did a full review you would be here for a while reading it so If you want to read my full review of this book you can find it on my blog:

Karen Martin
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing debut novel by Heather Manning. I loved every minute of it, and couldn't put it down! The story was so captivating, drawing me in with the descriptions and dialogue. The romance is not only sweet, but contains a very Pride and Prejudice feel in the bantering. I'm very much looking forward to reading more by this up and coming author. :)
Georgia Lucas
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sweet romance by a talented new author. I hope to read more by her in the future.
Jenna Van Mourik
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Friends, family, young adult readers, and people who like Pirates of the Caribbean!
I was swept away by Heather Manning's writing!

I don’t know if I should call this a review, or just a letter of praise to Heather Manning. If you know me, you know I love these three things: Historical fiction, my faith, and pirates/the sea (specifically, Pirates of the Caribbean, but more on that later!). Being that person and also in the most horrid book slump of all time, I logged onto Good Reads and typed, “Christian Pirates” not expecting anything to turn up. That was when I stumbled upon th
Vera Hopper
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A romantic, historical, seafaring adventure!
Manning whisks you away to a very period-appropriate and wonderfully described (circa) 14th century England--and you are then shown the not-so-wonderful courting life of a Miss Eden Trenton. The victim of physical abuse, and with no obvious way to relieve herself of this terrifying relationship between the cruel Lord Rutger, Eden flees to the seas, stowing away (in ignorance) on the Dawn's Mist, Captained by the extremely dashing and piratical Captain
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 17, 2014 07:34AM

• The Pirate Queen
  • A Pirate's Command (Secrets of the Bayous, #2)
  • Quintspinner: A Pirate's Quest
  • Port Royal (Buccaneers #1)
  • Fly Away Home
  • The Reliance (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #2)
  • Taken by Storm (Heroes of the Sea, #4)
  • Moontide Embrace
  • Castaway Dreams
  • The Reckoning (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #5)
  • The Pirate's Bride
  • Under Zenith (Zenith Cycles, #1)
  • The Blue Diamond (The Razor's Edge, #1)
  • The Pirate Daughter's Promise (Pirates & Faith, #1)
  • To Love a Rogue
  • Jerica's Pirate
  • Ashes & Ecstasy
  • Pirate Queen
Bestselling author Heather Manning is a young lady who loves to read--and write. Her first two novels, Swept to Sea and Carried Home, quickly became bestsellers. She recently graduated from Stephens College with a degree in theatre arts. She is a lover of all things time travel, Disney, and vintage and lives in Kansas City, Missouri. Find Heather on her website: http://heathermanningofficial.com/

Ladies of the Caribbean (2 books)
  • Carried Home (Ladies of the Caribbean #2)