Start by marking “If Aristotle Ran General Motors: The New Soul of Business” as Want to Read:
If Aristotle Ran General Motors: The New Soul of Business

If Aristotle Ran General Motors: The New Soul of Business

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Since its hardcover publication in 1997, If Aristotle Ran General Motors has been one of the year's most talked about books, not only in the United States but around the world, where it has been translated into many languages. Author Tom Morris has emerged as one of America's most popular motivational speakers, bringing his inspirational message of ancient wisdom in modern ...more
Published November 15th 1998 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about If Aristotle Ran General Motors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Aristotle Ran General Motors

Johnnie
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a clear and concise book on how smart leaders run businesses. The practical application of ethics into everyday life was my favorite part, although Morris' many analogies and stories keep the reader engaged throughout the short read. The author weaves the ancient philosophy of Aristotle, The Bible, Confucius, and many ancient writings to show us that there is "nothing new under the sun" except maybe in our lack of applying wise principles in business.
Nancy Schober
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ethics, morality
This is a cute sweet little book. While I think it veers off into the abstract more than is helpful- more concrete examples would have been better illuminating, still a worth a gander to make sure one is on the right track. The material strikes a nice balance between Eastern values and Western thinking.[return][return]The external world will never move us toward nirvana. It might, on the contrary, drive us crazy. And we can't live happily with our nerves all ajangle. We need some calm. We need i ...more
Matt McCormick
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting book as the author presented philosophy in a business context. As someone who tries to be aware of morality, there wasn't many new ways of thinking that I hadn't considered before.

I know it would be incredibly difficult to do, but I would rather have had more stories about where a company acted in a moral way and it paid off. I think a lot of us like to think that good people and actions will be rewarded later on, but is that actually the case? It would have been more interesting
Andy
Mar 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Although this was required reading for my MBA course in organizational behavior, I found this not only pertinent to business, but everyday life. Morris has some sage wisdom on how to find individual excellence, which will breed organizational excellence, which will in turn create societal harmony. Although it sounds new age, he uses the teachings of Aristotle and other sage philosophers to illustrate that if they were CEO's today, this is how things would get done.
MJ
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the best "business" book I've ever read. Really a treatise on ethics and how philosophy really is relevant to running a business. It took me about 6 months to read because it isn't the type of book you sit down and read all at once. I highly recommend it to anyone in a corporate setting, especially if you play any sort of leadership role.
Adrienne
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I pretty much completely agree with Morris on his ideas about how business should run--by using principles of Truth, Beauty, Goodness, and Unity. But I felt that I didn't need a whole book on his ideas since in my case, he's preaching to the choir. An essay would have sufficed. However, it's very much a discussion-worthy book.
JB
May 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
Although Mr. Morris is clearly a devote of the Latinized Aristotle that emerged as a result of Aquinas's integration of the Parapetetic school with Scholastic Christianity, this is still an excellent read. (even though his reading of Aristotle borders on libel) I think the author rightly focuses on the role of ethical virtue in business.
Steve McCairns
Insightful and thought provoking. Is thorough questioning of current (and past) business philosophy and indeed the approach we take to realtionships. A little like Stephen Covey and his habits the book suggests a 'win-win' versus the zero sum game. The tome is a decade old but maybe even more relevant now....
Tarn
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book has some great insights, but feel that it tries too hard to be philosophical. It is separated into topics, but some of the points made in each section are a real stretch from the topic. For example, the author talks about things that don't necessary relate to beauty by using words that are associated with beauty. I didn't enjoy reading the book, but I was able to finish it.
Jordan Munn
In spite of it having good ideas, it also used a bunch of anecdotal evidence as support, instead of, like, actual support. So it was lazy as far as argumentation goes. But some decent nuggets nonetheless.
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
It's interesting but not as much of a "how-to" as I had hoped. Morris explores four elements in the context of good business as itemized by Aristotle and others: Intellectual (truth), aesthetic (beauty), moral (goodness), and spiritual (unity).
Ganesh Lamichhane
Awesome Book...All readers need to read this really useful and enlightening book.
Lori Grant
An optional-read biograpy on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Shane
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books-read
An interesting book. A slow slog to read though. Full of so much, but written in a way that makes it somewhat hard to understand on the first reading.
Richad Dzingai
May 21, 2014 marked it as to-read
quite a beautiful piece, brings a whole new perspective of the art of business , the beauty of the workplace
Brian
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book on why morals and ethics are very important to creating a very successful business.
Mnkparker
If corporate America operated under the principles in this book, it would be a better world with a lot less stress.
Staci
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New takes on accepted ethics. Doesn't your workplace need to be aesthetically pleasing to encourage you to best productivity?
Alan
rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2008
Jul 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Naked Public Square: Religion and Democracy in America
  • Networking Is Dead: Making Connections That Matter
  • The Definitive Drucker: Challenges for Tomorrow's Executives -- Final Advice from the Father of Modern Management
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Steve Jobs
  • The Political Order of a Free People
  • Practical Wisdom: The Right Way To Do the Right Thing
  • The Orange Revolution: How One Great Team Can Transform an Entire Organization
  • Selected Philosophical Writings
  • Becoming a Category of One: How Extraordinary Companies Transcend Commodity and Defy Comparison
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Bertrand Russell's Best
  • The Republic of Tea: The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • The Will to Believe, Human Immortality and Other Essays in Popular Philosophy
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • The Thomas Sowell Reader
  • How Adam Smith Can Change Your Life: An Unexpected Guide to Human Nature and Happiness
  • The Nudist on the Late Shift: And Other True Tales of Silicon Valley
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
Tom Morris has become one of the most active public philosophers in the world due to his unusual ability to bring the greatest wisdom of the past into the challenges of the present.

A native of Durham, North Carolina and a Distinguished Alumnus of Durham Academy, Tom was a Morehead Scholar at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, which has honored him, along with Michael Jordan, as a reci
More about Tom Morris

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God: A
    $11.49 $2.99
“There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self.” 2 likes
“Neglect of what is genuinely human is the major reason why so many people in American business right now feel more victimized than helped by the latest management techniques and companywide processes for improvement.” 0 likes